GARDEN PARTY!!!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Linda (Mistress Gardener) & I , are planning a garden party @ Linda's house, sometime around the last part of September/beginning of October.

Looking for any-one interested in coming & if so----feed back on the best date to do this!

We are planning on grilling burgers & dogs, asking people to bring side dish's, or deserts.

Also, bring any extra plants, cuttings, or seeds.

Will be a lot of food, fun, & prizes.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Lori - how good to see you posting. I guess this means Linda is feeling better??? I'll be in town so just let me know what date you decide on.

Hi!
I've not yet met either of you, Linda or Lori?( from Jeans post) But I'm looking forward to meeting you both! My schedule is flexible, so I'll be watching for best dates of others!

I'll start getting some cuttings going! :-))
Good for side dishes as well!

Leslie - Linda has a small lot but it is jam packed full of garden settings and WONDERFUL plants. We had a very nice day at her place last Spring.

And this time around i should have plants to share!!!!!

YES! Linda has a small lot, but it's great!

We are working together to get this party set up. Can-not have one here at my house because of the animals---one totally deaf & blind, one blind, another with cancer & another with arthritis, so bad that he can hardly move.

Can't take the chance of people running around here & freaking the animals out!

Linda & I are still working on the specifics of the party, but still looking for feed-back!

Have been working on getting plants potted up for the party, but running out of pots. Gonna have to find more!

Jacksonville, FL

I am finally able to get on DG!!! Been having issues the last few months and hopefully they are all resolved now. I am feeling much better for the most part.

Lori and I have talked about doing this for awhile and have decided to plan in the fall when temps are cooler, and gardeners are getting ready to wind down for the summer gardening season in preparation for winter. We decided to keep it simple with Hot Dogs, Hamburgers and side dishes. Would love to see everyone again this year and look forward to meeting any new members that have joined our forums.

Jean--I STILL have your chair here from last year!!!
Linda

Linda - good!!!! I'll have a place to sit!!!!!

I plan on bringing a couple fo my non-DG gardening friends to entice them to join up!!!! And this time, I should have plants to share. I've gotten pretty good at taking cuttings from a few of the plants.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Linda,
So glad you are doing better.
Hopefully I can come to your garden party. Love getting tog with old friends and meeting new ones.
Bonnie

Glad to see that we are starting to get some interest!

Have been potting up some plants, gathering some I already had, & working on some new ones.

As far as side dishes & deserts---I'm making baked beans & a pear cobbler.

Jean,
Have a few young Sago Palms, that I'm bringing, if you're interested in those! Not a big fan of them, but still end up getting them somehow!
Have lots more to bring but would take all night to post them! LOL!!!

Lori - I could start a Nursery with all the Sagos I now have. My babies are already having babies. I love them but they do take up quite a bit of space.

The cactus I got from you last year is very happy. Still not too big but has bloomed a couple times.

Jacksonville, FL

Jean ~ glad you are inviting some new folks. Be sure to let Lovebrug know also.

This year I have added a new sitting area so we will have plenty of places to sit and keep cool.

Thumbnail by mistressgardenr

Gosh, Linda.............where did you squeeze that in? I NEED a gazebo somwhere in the back!!!!! My Orchids would love living out there in the Summer.
LB still pops in here evey now & again.

Maybe you should post the link on some of the other FL threads for those who don't "search out" new threads.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

If I can I'll come...I have nothing planned the first week of October so far. I didn't see this thread until now...glad I found it. Sure would love to meet you all....maybe Bonnie you and I could share a ride there?

Jean,
I know what you mean about the sago's---have had a few that I planted in flower beds, dug them out & got rid of them because it's impossible to weed around them without getting stuck!
Hubby did talk me into planting one in front of our a.c. unit, where it's not in my way.

I did place a post in the Roundup Forum, but so far, no replies.

Will be nice to see some of our old friends & meet some new ones!!!

Oh, I never even think to look in the RU forum!!!!
With all the recent DG updates I think some are on less.

Jacksonville, FL

I've been trying to read old posts and have noticed there are quite a few that are not posting lately that normally do. They may be busy in their gardens like so many of us. I know my yard takes alot of work to keep up and I have to take it alot slower than I used to so takes much longer

Elko, NV

This is a great idea! I would love to come and I promise to bring a bunch of seeds and plants that need a home.

Jacksonville, FL

Would love to meet you! Will be trying to narrow down a date soon. Possibly the first Sat in Oct. Hoping that works for all

Just finished refurbishing a Airplane rocking chair that I decided to make into a planter

Thumbnail by mistressgardenr

I used to have the round up forums book marked on my watch list...but somehow it was removed from my watch list...maybe all the new changes here on DG.
Maybe why no one else saw the post over there...so many things to keep a watch on anymore.

Is this where you'll be posting the updates and info?

-Sherri

This forum that we are on right now is the main one we will be posting on, the other is just a secondary one for those that may have missed us here.

Will keep both updated in any case.

As Linda stated, we think it will probably be the first Saturday in Oct., unless we get a lot of people saying they can't make that date. We are still open as to the date, because we know a lot can happen between now & then!

This year, unlike last spring---I have more plants to bring to the party, than pots to bring them in.(Hubby thought he was helping, threw out about 350 last year.) If I can't find the pots to bring them in, may have to bring them in buckets of water & get a potting area set up at the party.

Lori - plant them in plastic bags. Work fine short term. Just wrap with some of the heavy tape. I've also started scaing all my empty cottage cheese & sour cream containers to use for pots. The cups from take out also work great.

Ok, great to know...as for me the first weekend in Oct. is free, but last weekend in Sept. is not.

There is talk of a camping trip the second weekend of Oct. That is a three day weekend for some of our camping friends. Just talking about it now though.

I'm sure I can find some plants/seeds to bring, been trimming stuff back already and rooting them. I have no room for anymore plants to bring back home. Just coming to meet everyone for the most part. ☺

Jacksonville, FL

Chuck Hubbach, the Horticulturist at UNF (former at the zoo ) was here yesterday for a visit. Some of you met him last year and he will making plans to attend so any gardening questions you may have can be answered!

Will be good to see Chuck again. This year I'll be able to ask "better" questions.

Jean,

Great idea for some of my sour cream, cottage cheese, & washed out margarine containers.

Hadn't thought about using plastic bags---another great idea!

Glad to hear that Chuck will be here again!

Still have a few 'Mystery' plants from the job site that hubby & I dug plants from.
One looks familiar, but for the life of me---can't place it--a couple of others----need help!!!

Jacksonville, FL

We have tentatively set the day for October 6th and hope it fits into everyone's schedules. We will be posting food list and plant trade lists very soon.

I started quite a few seeds several weeks ago and hoping they come up. I am not very good with seeds the last few years but I keep trying. Going to get cuttings started as well. I should have quite a few things to share.

Linda

I'll get some things started when I get home later this week. Recently I've had some success rooting cuttings. Much better at those than with seeds.

Jacksonville, FL

Me too Jean! I don't know what is wrong with me and doing seeds but I do not have the knack and success that everyone else does

Seeds??? Did You Say Seeds????! LOL!!!
Me, I can throw them on the ground, will come up----plant them in pots----not going to happen!

Jacksonville, FL

None of the seeds I planted have come up yet! Think I have failure again! Have started some cuttings though that should be nicely rooted by then.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Glad you posted this way ahead. Will get some cuttings potted. For last one in Aprill I started morning glory seeds and for a wonder they did very well.
Sherri and I will probably come up tog. I don't ride alone for long distances. Gets boring talking to myself. LOL
Take care all and looking forward to seeing you all again.
Bonnie

Jacksonville, FL

It will be good to see you again Bonnie. I am hoping some of the other regulars see this and are able to make it.

Seems like a lot of folks have left Daves....................here 1 day & gone the next.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Quilter,
I think a lot of people are feverishly working in their gardens now.
I can't keep up with the weeds.
Eye surgery is over and now I have 2 pair of new glasses and see even more weeds than before. It's wonderful to be able to see detail again.
Also, I have tons of zebra long wing butterflys this year. Don't know what I have around they love but they sure have found someting. They are Fl. state butterfly I learned. Really beautiful.
Found 4 very large CTF's on side of my house. I walked out in the dark with a flashlight and there they were. Than when I shined the light on them they all went up inside of fascia where I could not get them. Guess I'll have to do what Merry Mary does and frog hunt at night. Years ago we used to have frog hunters all night on the huge swamp behind our pasture. Wasn't too handy when you had to get up and go to work next day. I didn't complain cause they were men gigging frogs to sell to restaurants for extra income. I think at times some caught gators. Thats was years ago and theres still plenty of gators there. We have been lucky and never lost a cow or calf to a gator and sometmes they have them right on canal bank. We don't bother them and they don't bother us. After 43 yrs. I consider that wonderful.
Bonnie

I've noticed an absence of people on Dave's---kinda hoped it was due to their working in their yards!

We posted early so that any-one interested in coming, would have plenty of time to work things out!

Also still trying to find out if there is a better date to do this on! Date is not set in stone!

Bonnie,
Good to hear from you again! Hope you can make it!

Jacksonville, FL

I have started a food list and a plant trade list on the Round-up forum for everyone's benefit. The Oct 5th date is tentative ~ we would like to find out if that suits everyone.

Need to try to get some gardening done today, weather permitting.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

As far as I know its fine for me. I think Sherri can come then also but I'll check with her. My social calendar isn't overwhelming. LOL
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hope you stick to Oct. 5th. I couldn't come on a Sun. the 6th.
I'm sure you will post definite date soon. I'll start potting up anyhow.
I'm always giving plants to whomever stops by so it won't be wasted effort.
Bonnie

I may not get there till later in the day. I have a commitment for that AM but don't change the date on my account. I'm close enough that I could get my plants up there the day before.

Jacksonville, FL

So far that date is best for all, but will soon post a confirmed date.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.