What is your favorite type of gardening book?

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)
There are a total of 105 votes:

General gardening guide with lots of tips and suggestions.
(24 votes, 22%)
Red dot

Field guide for wild plants (bugs or birds)
(25 votes, 23%)
Red dot

Veggie gardening/organic gardening books
(7 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Books on a specific plant; roses, african violets, orchids;etc.
(13 votes, 12%)
Red dot

How-to guides, build a patio, retaining wall, arbor or deck.
(1 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(25 votes, 23%)
Red dot

Books? Who has time for books when you're in the garden?
(10 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

My books is AHS (The American Horticultural Society) are is the best to look up...
And Victory Gardeners, too!

This message was edited Jul 14, 2013 4:50 PM

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

I regularly consult...
RHS Encyclopaedia of Gardening

RHS A-Z of Garden Plants

Seed Germination Theory & Practice & supplements (the great Norman Deno) - now available as downloads but nice to have the original

Creative Propagation - A Grower's Guide

I guess I should have a really nice garden design book - but I don't.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :

G. Jekyll, L.B. Wilder, Monet and those who are still with us, Lloyd, Hobhouse etc.. A love that will take me to England and France next spring to see some of these creations.

The books will be coming out this winter as I begin to study the gardens I will be visiting, learning to become the master of 'My Own Little World', my garden.

Oh, you lucky dog!! I am so jealous! I hope you have a wonderful trip. (Oh BTW, C. Lloyd has passed away in 2006, sorry to say.) I have been re-reading his books ever since.

Maybe we should have a thread listing our libraries??

Lake Helen, FL

Now it uploaded! This is "Pink Swirl".

Thumbnail by Reynardine
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

evelyn...Lol...ya but I've been buying gardening books for almost 30 years. Started out taking hort classes in college and couldn't afford that so decided I could learn just as much if not more from books...and then putting the info to good use....lol.. Ok, I'm still working on that. Picked up some great shrubs at Lowes tonight, some I have read about and decided I wanted for many years!!!! (and their fragrant too). And yes, I am lucky, will also be traveling with both grandaughters too. How's the garden doing?

Pix (left) Dianthus X Loveliness and Dianthus grationopolitanus Cheddar Pinks or Bath's Pinks, both very sweetly fragrant.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I forgot! the "Expert" series by d. Hessayon. Very practical, if somewhat English slanted, with lots of illustrations of varieties. I have three editions of "The Houseplant Expert", including a very early one. I use them at flower show time because entries require as exact a plant identification as possible and they make a good jumping off point.
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.