Making my first 'database' :-)

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Becky, the mock orange I got from you bloomed so beautifully, and the scent was nothing like I'd experienced before. It's now living at Happy's!

I've had pretty good luck with Santa Rosa orders. They did send me one very weak looking sedum but they sent a replacement right away.

I thought you'd have more vines on your list. Are you waiting until the spring to order them?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I haven't decided on vines yet, I do have a Confederate Jasmine I'll be training to grow up along the front entrance & another one will be planted by the mailbox...If I do vines, it'll be in the backyard once I decide what I'm doing back there...if I find some late season deals locally I'll be sure to grab some tho 😝

Bec, will the jasmine stay for you as a perennial in your new location? (I notice your id says Huntsville is Zone 7b, but I wonder if that's a mistake?) If you're in a warmer zone, must be fun to have a range of new choices for perennials! :-)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

The Confederate Jasmine, absolutely....they do fine in VA as well - hardy little things!

wow, that's amazing! The plant file says they're not hardy until zone 9 or something. But they actually do fine through the winter in zone 7? If so, I might be tempted to get some myself! :-)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I know Chantell has one & they sell them here at HD & Lowes - lovely fragrance! I planted 2 together & have one waiting to be planted by my mailbox - the Extention office here says the area is 7/8 transition...so, I'm taking a chance on some zone 8 stuff as well

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Bec: My personal experience -- or sense -- is that the plants I've lost because they were too marginal for this area, were lost because of "winter wet" and not because it was too cold for them -- so you might consider checking the soils for excellent drainage for your marginal plants....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I've had my Confederate Jasmine for at least 5 years. It's put on a huge amt of growth the last 2 years!! Devon may have a point regarding wet v cold temps. Mind is at the top of a gentle slop so I'm sure the roots do not stay wet. It has not stopped blooming since spring and the scent is to die for!!

Thumbnail by Chantell
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I've got my 'map' readyish, more dirt & mulch coming tomorrow & I should have the bulk of the plants mid week...while the temps are still high, we're forecast lots of rain & I'm good with that

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Bec, that is a thing of great beauty!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Looks very colorful! And helpful!

I love it! I might just do something similar--much more useful than the lists I've created in excel.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Greg taught me to right click on the cell, go to 'format cell' - click on colors & fill, it gives me the option of more colors & you can 'shade' it how you want it & I made the 'legend' list that way, then just copy & fill in each cell where the plant goes - not perfect by any means, but gives me the general outlay - we measured the beds & each cell is 1 sq foot...I'll do the same when I start designing the backyard - also known as 'the meadow' :-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sounds PERFECT. I love the idea of the meadow.... Are there any other fellow gardeners in your immediate neighborhood?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

There is!! I met a British lady when I was giving away the builder shrubs, she's got an absolutely AMAZING cottage garden! She gifted me with 2 lovely Japanese Maples! Oh, the backyard won't be a meadow, we just call it that, since it's so big (in my eyes) & right now, covered in lush green grass, waving in the wind! The plan is using one section for raised veggie beds & berry bushes, then the rest will be 'landscaped' with trees & flower beds - the division gives out a 'garden of the month' award, so many people do pretty, but predictable, landscaping & plants...I know there is one guy who does roses, need to find him! Once I'm able to ride a bike & it's cooler, I intend on biking around & look at the gardens...I had a vision of a Koi pond, until a neighbor told me snakes tried to eat his!!! Heck no!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Just got confirmation ALL plants have shipped - poor Greg!! 😝 I ordered 20 short Delphiniums, they only had 16, so didn't charge me for them! So far Santa Rosa has been incredible! & $7.99 shipping for well over 200 plants is in my mind CHEAP! I've left myself ample room to add more plants, this is exiting!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I couldn't have done my awful front hill without Santa Rosa!

sounds like I need to look into Santa Rosa!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Received my 11 boxes today & I'm beyond happy! The sizes of these plants are incredible - tomorrow I'll place them where I want them & the dig, plant, dig, plant begins! Still waiting for my Creepers...they'll be here tomorrow I think!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

So way cool Becky! Enjoy enjoy!

Very exciting, Becky--looks like so much fun! :-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

And wow, what a starting point you have - not a weed in sight!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Maybe we should send her some so the flowers aren't lonely..

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL -- I could fill (and have filled) bags and bags...

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Methinks, Bec would mark them 'return to sender'. Heehee

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey now!! We have plenty weeds, Greg was just proactive and ripped the little buggers out! NO need to share, y'all!! The creepers came today, so we now have close to 300 to plant...poor Greg!! ^_^

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Piece of cake. It looks as if your beds are beautifully prepared -- gorgeous dirt -- so at one minute a plant -- 60 an hour -- why, if Greg gets started now and you hold the flashlight, he'll be done by bedtime!

This message was edited Jul 24, 2013 11:44 PM

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Lol Happy, I love how you've calculated Greggs planting time! Now if we could just get Superman to stop the earth's rotation for 18 or 19 hours you may be right!
Or in addition to extra wonderfulness and awesome spreadsheet talents Gregg may have other super powers we haven't heard about yet.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Bwahahahahaha!!! 😝 Got them all placed where they need to go...Superman, ehrm, I mean Greg is making great headway!!! Yes, it IS great dirt, it better be - I used potting soil & tons of it!

Wow, that was FAST! Who's in charge of the watering, or do you have an irrigation system?

I'm so glad you took all those before pictures. I wish I'd taken more before and progress pictures, but I didn't have a good phone at the time.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Sprinkler system does it :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

It looks splendid!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Been lurking ... and keeping you in my prayers, Becky. So glad about all the good news that's been coming your way -- NO CHEMO, YAY!! =) You sound as if the healing process is coming along well, am so happy to hear it!

Now, if I just had a nickel for every time I've said "WOW" when looking at the pics you're sharing.. It's looking really great!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

How fun to start from scratch and be able to place treasures where you want instead of trying to find a spot to squeeze it in. Sometimes my squeezies turn out to be nice combos, but sometimes NOT. Looking forward to future pics of the luscious colors and combos you have.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Done!! All we have left are the edging plants & a thick layer of mulch!! I left PLENTY of room for more plants!! 😝

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

That is really cool being able to plan everything all at once like that instead of the piecemeal way I've been doing it! Now you have to keep us updated with photos as everything grows!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Greg, my Superman, did a great job! He has never planted a plant before! Yes, it is neat being able to do it all at once...once these are filled out & growing a bit, I'll get a better idea of where I can plant fall bulbs for next spring

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

It looks really great, and I love the stone edging, such a neat and orderly, yet natural look. So pretty. That database plan is really paying off in spades! (and shovels) ;)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Great job, Greg!!! Love, love, love that you were able to have a vision and pull it off.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.