Squirrel Pics (and Conversation) Vol. 18

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, we have Cooper's hawks here and I've watched them swoop in and pick birds right off one of the feeders. Makes me feel sad ... and bad ... like I set them up for that. The hawks would do it anyway but I don't appreciate it in my yard. I have a love-hate relationship with those hawks. They are beautiful and have their purpose in nature but so deadly.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I know. That's why I made friends with the crows a few years ago. They are definitely not doing their jobs. Just went back out to look. 6 babies. Might be trying to nurse. Who the hell would I take them to for rescue/rehab?!?!?!?!

And by the way, my tomato hornworm is spectacular, has to be ten times the size he was when I found him. Just so cute eating one of the cherry tomatoes in the flight cage, all by himself.

Thanks for hearing me and my bleeding heart.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nature can be so cruel sometimes in spite of her awesome beauty. She definitely has a split-personality. :(

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Aaaaaaahhhhhh! Just saw my favorite squirrel has skin off his back too. We've seen this before. Court think juvenile hawks-learning to hunt. What a crappy day in the garden. Oh no I have to pray for my squirrel if I remember how. "Bless me Father for I have sinned . ...." No, that's not the one.

Be back later with my heavy heart. Just threw out apples and raisins and crackers for my squirrels. Wah. :((((

This message was edited Sep 11, 2013 3:40 PM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

:-(... Phooey. The squirrels are really getting active here now. I'm sure when I put out peanuts, etc. again and they come in numbers, the hawks will be here more frequently as well. Yesterday, I was out filling the birdbaths when the wind started to kick up. All of a sudden I hear a loud crack and down came the top right side of my favorite snag tree. That tree is very tall and it made quite a racket. Fortunately it fell back of our fence which was courteous of it since I won't have to try to deal with moving it or throwing it over the fence (which I couldn't do anyway).

The entire top of it on the right is gone now.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Okay, here goes for my second try. I spent about 15 minutes typing this post and when I hit "send", my computer (or DG) kicked me out and lost my post...Grrr!

Amanda, I'm so sorry for all your poor little birds and critters. Yeah, I know we're supposed to just recognize how nature works and be okay with it, but that's never worked for me. Every time I lose any of my beloved wildlife or see that one is sick or injured, I beat myself up and wonder what I could have done better to prevent it.

My husband usually has to remind me how many more survive that normally would not, because of what we do for them. But trying to help wildlife can sometimes be very painful and even traumatic. In the end, I decide that I'd much rather help as many as I can, even if sometimes it's tough to handle the bad times.

That being said, how are the baby birds and your squirrel doing? Are the babies able to fly and are they eating the food you put out? Have you seen your little squirrel since your last post? I'm sometimes amazed at the things I've seen squirrels recover from and sometimes if they're hurting, just like other animals, they may hide out for a while until they recover.

Cville, I'm in pretty much the same place you are with hawks. At one time I used to like them a lot more. But now, too often they mean danger to the little birds and animals I love.

Sorry about your tree. It's depressing and a hassle We've lost huge limbs and entire trees so I can relate to what you're going through.

I guess it's been a tough week for all of us. Last Thursday my husband and I were on our way home, about a mile away, when some idiot in a landscaping truck smashed into the back of our car! We were waiting for a few cars pass so we could make a left turn on a fairly quiet road with not much traffic. Apparently this guy was so busy fiddling with his GPS, that had fallen on the floor, he didn't even see us until just before he hit us (at least he admitted it to the police officer). Thank goodness we weren't hurt, but now we're dealing with insurance and adjusters and repairs. And even with good insurance, my husband lost a day of work to deal with this, plus the cost of a rental car and some other expenses that we won't get back...all while minding our own business.

Anyway, that's why I haven't been on DG much for the past several days. Hopefully next week will be better for all of us.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good grief!

So glad you're both okay.

I count my blessings everyday.

About the critters. I have not seen the squirrel who appeared hardest hit. A bunch of years ago we would see the same one come day after day.... Anyway. Try not to spread my special brand of sunshine. :)

We did have a lovely day, and the squirrels that were in the yard today were very attentive and getting more tame. One skipped past me on the path to the bird feeder and paused just behind me. I wondered if he knew I was there? Still lots of chipmunks and a bunny today. Other rodents of unusual size. And the crows were around the yard hollering all day. Glad for that. They've been slacking.

Going to get back to work now. Hope everyone enjoys the weekend.
A.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It is a beautiful weekend here. We had a little rain - 3/4 of an inch or thereabouts. That must have happened night before last. I had emptied the rain gauge and just noticed the rain in it yesterday.

Got to get peanuts when I grocery shop tomorrow. That will bring a whole new crowd of squirrels - and probably the raccoon as well.

Odd, there is a toilet seat lying in the road??? Not something you see every day. Guess I'll let it lay a little while in case someone lost it or wants it. Well, it could happen. Then into the trash if it's not claimed.

Lyndonville, NY

So sad about the babies and Hawk. I have hand/bottle fed with dropper...but it is hard. Must clean bottoms to help them relieve also.

We need cheering up. DH sent this to me.

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I'm crossing my fingers for your critters and birds, Amanda. Glad your crows are back.

A toilet seat, huh. Hopefully it came off a clean toilet! :o)

Debbie, that's really funny!! Just the perfect thing to cheer us all up. Say thanks to your DH for us!

It's been raining steadily here all day, sometimes quite hard. We can really use the rain so I'm glad. It's probably headed your way, Debbie.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

lol. Yes, a toilet seat and a paper plate. I pondered for awhile, a very short while, about the meaning of that. Maybe it was something he ate?? :) Anyway, the seat is in the garbage now.

Pickles cartoon is funny and all too true.

Crows? Here's what we had at our feeders year before last. Last year we didn't get enough snow to force a lot of birds to the feeders. Gave me a little break with the $.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Sorry for the quality. I was shooting from inside.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Lyndonville, NY

I will deal with the rain here, just let it stop in Colorado. My son is out there right near
Denver.

I have some exciting news. Spotted "mama squirrel" for the first time in months, going in the
tree hole that was always full of squirrels, but hasn't been last two years.

I sure hope this means babies and them coming back.

I heard a cardinal this morning, didn't see him...but sure did hear that voice.

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow...Snow! I spotted your pics and thought it had turned winter overnight! I see you also have some Cardinals and Squirrels in those pics as well.

The quality is fine, by-the-way. I, also take lots of wildlife pics through my kitchen window. Sometimes it's the easiest way to get close to some of those birds and critters.

I have a lot of fun shots from past winters taken through our windows...like some deer peeking into our living room (something they tend to do now and then).

We used to have another very active thead in the Wildlife forum called "Wildlife Big and Small". People would post everything from Bears to Dragonflies, then it kind of faded away. Some of the members that posted frequently don't even seem to be around. I've considered trying to start it up again just to see if there's any interest.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Debbie we cross-posted.

CONGRATS ON THE MAMA!!!!!!! YAAAY!!!!

My brother lives in Colorado, too. He and my sister-in-law live very high up as do my nephew and his family. My niece lives lower, but not near the flood areas. It's scary though, and Boulder is such a great place. My sister-in-law shops there frequently.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, cardinals and goldfinches and squirrels and crows all happy together. Food! Gosh, they almost ate me out of house and home. Last year we got very little snow ... and consumption was down. I needed a break. :)

Seems everyone has a brother in CO. What's up with that?

I'm glad mama squirrel has been sighted. Whew!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Whew...you all posted a lot since I was last here.
First off Nuts, sorry about the accident and at least no injuries, and the other driver admitting it was his fault. Hope everything gets fixed up just fine.

Amanda, sorry to hear of the poor squirrel. Hawks are always flying overhead here and have swooped down to claim baby Cardinals in my garden, always a hard thing to see, but nothing you can do about nature.

The toilet seat story cracked me up. :-)

We went camping at Rainbow River for six days and took our new pooch, she did very well and even went kayaking. Funny how she just watches the squirrels from our campsite. We are training her well.

Peanut is still coming right up to us with the dog by our sides and getting her nuts, but she has trees all around if she needs to run up to flee quickly. Acorns are falling by the buckets now, but she still prefers peanuts. :-)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

So nice to hear good news ... I have some too!

I got another knock at the door today - another found baby squirrel. I had so many things happening at one time here (including broken down car and the mechanic on the phone) I hardly knew what to tell my neighbor lady, but they had managed to capture it so I told her to bring it down.

It was a juvenile of fairly good size. She was concerned about it because she has outside cats and dogs in the backyard too. I questioned her and it didn't have any obvious signs of injury. I put a top over the rubbermaid she brought and I got the lady rehabber on the phone. Even if I let the squirrel go in my yard, he had no shelter, no momma, anyway.

Rehab lady agreed, got my BF to drive the squirrel across town (he took the previous 3 babies that had fallen from the tree). She said sometimes they come down from the tree/nest and can't figure out how to get back up. So it was dehydrated but otherwise healthy and she will keep it and take good care of it.

Huzzah!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cville, I think they eat us all out of house and home...sigh, but we do have a choice. That's what makes us all so special :o)

Thanks, sunkissed! Our car is now in the shop, but it's definitely been a hassle. Sounds like the new pooch is fitting right in! I think Peanut just enjoys the Love!

Amanda, that is great news! Lucky your neighbor spotted the little one before anything bad happened. ^_^

There has been lots of baby squirrel rescues going on around here. I have three different people I know of in just the past week.Not me though. I know for sure Peanut is a gal...she is being chased by a for sure boy everyday here lately. The dog would love me to let her off the leash so she could just go...she steals their peanuts.

Here are some pics of her....the first one she was right under me.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

What a personality that little one has. Great shots, sunkissed!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Very cute! Love to hear about Peanut. :)

I have a pair that come every day that are getting more and more trusting. They even sit in the tree over my head while I fill the feeders. Some sit on the feeder while I'm within 10'-15' of them. That's progress. Haven't seen bunnies today, but they're all around.

Have a great weekend.
A.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh boy, sunkissed, it won't be long before you'll have baby "Peanuts" everywhere! I think maybe your pooch just wants to make sure Peanut's new boyfriend is the right guy. Cute pics...and she seems to have that "glow" about her.

Amanda, those squirrels are smart. They know who has the food. They've just been training you all this time.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Haha, you're right. They're just TEASING me. Jerks.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's Squirrel Awareness Month!

http://99designs.com/customer-blog/national-squirrel-awareness-month/

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

HA!!!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, we're sure aware of Squirrels here...EVERY month!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Absolutely! :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I found this posted on a new site I was investigating (reddit). Thought it was appropriate for our audience:

"Took this picture of a fat squirrel when i went skiing last winter."

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Cute photo. I've been on Reddit for awhile now. Some interesting things over there.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I guess I landed there inadvertently just to see this squirrel pic. I don't get it really. Is it like pinterest, Flickr, etc....

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

No, it's user-generated news links.

That is a fat squirrel, I love the funny ears. I am well aware of squirrels, so is the dog.

Marabelle aka: Bear watching Peanut. I have to give peanuts to Bear so she won't get jealous. That darn squirrel will come right up to her cot.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

lol. Oh, that's funny about giving peanuts to the dog to keep her from being jealous. Our furry friends never cease to amaze me. ♥

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Squirrels are busy, busy here. Activity is definitely picking up. We have had no cold - or even very cool - weather. Nighttime temps are supposed to start dropping today or tomorrow.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I've not been very happy these past couple of weeks. Did I mention we had a murder on our street - I mean just a few houses down across the street. Nice lady, my age, having a party (?) and the story that was printed was that she caught someone stealing money from her. She was shot in the hip, nicked her femoral artery. You know the rest.

-sigh-

As for wildlife. I have lost count of how many squirrels I have pulled off the street in the last two weeks. Tonight on my way around the block to visit my neighbor's goat I pulled two more, within twenty feet of each other. That's about 8 total. We always have casualties this time of year. There are a lot of nut trees in the neighborhood, and of course the maples dropping acorns, pecans, hickory, persimmon, gah. This is more than usual. It always hits me hard. I try to comfort myself knowing I probably save more critters than are killed in my neighborhood, but at the end of the day or early in the morning when there's no body at the feeders, I feel it.

I'm not usually a negative Nelly today, but sometimes like now I feel it more acutely.

A.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

... not one I have but so sweet. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Aww, thanks Carole. Precious.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Tiny little things, aren't they. :)

What a precious baby. I'm surprised with all the squirrels living above my house that I've never found a baby on the ground...but that is a good thing.

Marabelle and Peanut

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.