Squirrel Pics (and Conversation) Vol. 18

Lyndonville, NY

Wow, those are so pretty!!! We had one across the street a few years ago....miss them

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oooh...those are really cool-looking! And of course you were smart enough to have your camera handy, unlike me most of the time.

I have bunches of pics of our own backyard squirrels I've been taking on and off. I've been uploading them to my computer, but haven't bothered to determine what's worth posting.
Maybe soon.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Nuts, it's so funny, i had just come back from your neck of the woods. I'd been in Woodstock at the garden walk. So I had my camera with me. I was picking up sandwiches for dinner at Jimmy John's and got totally distracted by these squirrels running across the alley into the JJ parking lot. I didn't pull close enough to the window and was paying no attention to the kid at the window. He was laughing at me. So I got the food, pulled over and got the camera out.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Boy can I relate! I can be so easily distracted at times, especially with any kind of wildlife around.

There's a Farm & Fleet in Woodstock, but you probably have one much closer to you.

yep a F&F about 3 miles from me.

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

We are back in Michigan for the summer so I am switching from grey squirrels to chipmunks. I haven't been on in a while do to our MG plant sale kept me too busy.
We aren't putting our bird feeders out this year because the bears are so bad. We also had an extremely cold winter -37. Therefore, fewer chipmunks but I have a few of my regulars from last year. The one on the log looks very similar to the one eating the snake last summer.

Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7
Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

More chipmunk photos. One photo is of a chippy taking part in a community barking event before taking his load of peanuts back to his den.

Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7
Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

I need help finding a squirrel rehab near fox lake illinois. i have been to several websites and have made several calls to no avail. baby sqirrel desperately needs help. please help.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Antsinmypants - Is the baby squirrel injured?

I checked around and called a few places, but because of the holiday, many places are closed or not answering their phones.

Flint Creek Rehabilitators are in Barrington (not super close, but not real far), but I wasn't able to talk to anyone. I know of a really good one in Elburn if you're willing to make about a one hour drive. I was able to speak to them and I have also had prior experience with them.

It's possible by just speaking with them they might be able to help you out. If you're interested, their name is Fox Valley Wildlife Center. Their phone number is: 630-365-3800

Here is the link:

http://www.foxvalleywildlife.org/index.php/found-an-animal

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Mrs. Ed, the white or blond tails are very interesting, I see some like that around here when we are camping, especially in northern FL.

Ottahand, the Chipmunks are so cute.
We have been having a problem with baby bears in our neighborhood being attracted to bird feeders, so we've decided to stop putting feed in the feeders. I love feeding the birds, but animal control has been killing the mama bears, and it breaks my heart, so best we just don't lure them to the neighborhood. I have plenty of bird friendly plants in the garden, and lots of insects and worms for them, they still come around. We were also attracting rats, and some were quite big.

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Hi sunkissed - bears are becoming more and more of a problem. We expect them here in Michigan but we have had they spotted near our home in MD and a couple of weeks ago there was one in Bethesda MD. I feed the Hummingbirds but I religiously bring the feeders in each night. Not many hummers to feed up here this year. Very few chipmunks also have showed up. I think once they start feeling pressure to store for winter the few that are here will come up to the peanut buffet.

Thumbnail by ottahand7

Urban sprawl is taking over black bear territory here, and of course their food supply, so sad that many people just don't understand nature.

I have several hummers visit my garden, I used to put out feeders for them, but the heat and rain and ants were mucking them up. But they love my flowers and still come around, especially in the morning and late evening. I love those chipmunks.

Here are some more squirrel shots from my last picture download looking at me from my trellis, most are of Peanut, but she is bringing along some friends lately since not many acorns left. The cats watching the squirrel safely from inside our screened porch, the highlight of their morning. ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Hi sunkissed, I love your photos! The squirrels in FL are much slimmer than we have in MD. I guess they don't need all the fluff to keep them warm. Your cats look like they love the show. Here is cat TV season 2014.

Thumbnail by ottahand7
Lyndonville, NY

Did a double take, your kitties look just like my Huck & Axl!

More like "who is watching whom" in those pictures. soooo cute.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cute..Cute..Cute you guys!

I have so many squirrel pics that I haven't had a chance to upload to the new computer. Right now it's still easier to unload the camera onto the old computer which has a program I'm more used to for storing them.

Here's a few, anyway.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Love those photos. I love it how squirrels spread out on the cool grass to cool off on hot days.

So far only 2 chipmunks have come up for peanuts this year. I am afraid many were lost to the hard winter even though they must have had huge caches of peanuts.

They have all moved to Seney Wildlife Refuge! I was there two weeks ago and they were all over the place. walked up to my toes looking for a handout.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, ottahand7!
Mother Nature can be tough on the wild critters. Let's just hope that maybe your chipmunks have moved on for a while or that they're there, but just haven't come up to you.

Seney Wildlife is in the UP, isn't it? Yah, when the chipmunks here walk up to my toes, I look at them and say, "Whatta you want? But then I put food down for the ground-feeding birds and squirrels and those little munchkins start stuffing their cheeks immediately.

It was up in the UP that my husband and I saw an entire town full of black squirrels.

Hi Nuts, I think it is so cute how squirrels lay flat like that, I see them up in the trees on branches taking naps all the time.

Ottahand, hopefully your two chipmunks are male and female, and more to come in the future. I imagine cold winters are tough on the critters, and last year was cold and long for many and dipped further south than normal....heck the panhandle of FL got snow this past winter.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Here are just a couple of recent shots.
Also, this thread is getting really looong. Anybody feel like starting Volume 19?

1) "I think I smell FOOD!"

2) "I'm pretty sure no one can see me here."

This message was edited Jul 27, 2014 4:44 PM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

I finally have 5 different chipmunks around now. One Western chipmunk that is very shy and 4 big eastern chipmunks. Here are shots of the baby that has showed up for feeding.

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

The chipmunks know that winter is coming so like every August they start coming from all directions. Here are a couple photos of chipmunk detente yesterday afternoon.

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

The chipmunks are getting ready for winter and they are coming from all directions. Here are a few from the last couple of days.

The last one I called tip toeing through the Stiletto's.

Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7

Great shots ottahand, I like the nut hanging out of the mouth ☺.

I don't have anything to start a new volume yet, but hopefully get some shots soon.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello friends!

Trying to catch up on some threads. I hope you've had a fun summer and have seen lots of critters. :)

Will be following along.
xo
A.

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Here are some more of the Western chipmunk. I have seen very few red squirrels this year but I have heard some.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Great shots, otta. ♥♥♥

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi everybody - This thread has gotten sooo long I went ahead and started Volume 19.

Here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1377115/

I bet you all have lots of adorable pics just waiting to be unloaded from your cameras.
Hope to see you all over there! ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.