Weather Watching Summer 2013

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hap, so far I'm more inclined to think the sink hole is somehow connected to the underground path/source of the spring on the property. I don't think the house is at risk at all.

Sally, after a storm passes through, it leaves the air filled with lots of negative ions which make us all feel super-charged. Our lives are filled with positive ions from all the microwaves in the air from radio waves, cell phones and any other wireless devices.

If you go barefoot on the ground for 10 minutes, the body discharges those positive ions into the earth, exchanging them for negative ions from the earth. Not as noticeable as the after-effects from a big storm, but equally important to the energy balance in our bodies.

edited because I type differently than I think, LOL

This message was edited Jun 14, 2013 6:27 PM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

well I enjoyed all 20 mins of the blue skies, now the clouds are back and looks like another storm is ready to roll thru :( BOO!!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Darius, Well, now we hope the spring flow is not adversely affected

Above , here, did you mean, negative ions from the earth?

Jen, me too, just heard DD saying 'Oh boo' to friend over more clouds....

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

You can be sure it will do something because it took me all this time with this stupid bad foot to get the plants back on the tables and the decks back to normal. :(

Whoopsie, thanks for catching that error Sally. I edited my post above.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Lots of outside time over the weekend. Sun felt very intense when there wasn't cloud cover.

Said 'good morning' to a newspaper customer who was out at 5:15 am doing some pruning real early to beat the heat!

Humidity wasn't all that high (75%) but enough to feel sticky.

Possible showers today. High 83.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

It is so difficult to even think about the weather when I am still unable to walk out to the greenhouse. I realize it is only a week today since my accident, but I am a patient without patience. I have been going out on the deck and sitting in the fresh air and sunshine for a short time each day, but most of this beautiful weather was just out there and I was in here.
It is a beautiful day today, clouds are gone, sun is shining. I am going to try and walk to the greenhouse without a cane or walker. If necessary I will crawl, but I am going to see my babies and pray they are o.k. Wish me luck.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

JBerger, I wish you lots of luck! How frustrating it must be not to be able to go out and play with your babies! What happened to you???

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Oh Green, I am so stupid. I was out in front of the house ready to walk the dog and we have 2x4's keeping the grass plot separated from the stones on the barnyard. They stick up and I know they stick up but I turned and did not pay attention and sprained my foot by stepping on the 2 x 4 sideways..........ouch! Fell on my knees to break the pressure on the foot and thank God I did because I could have broken my foot or my ankle. The surgeon took x rays and put a boot on me and sent me home and told me it will be o.k. in three weeks. No pills, no nothing just plenty of pain and frustration. It has been a week today and I am like a crazy person. I need to get a new mental outlook before I kill the dog or something. LOL. I am 84 and still have a young mind so I am also battling with things I want to do and can not physically do them. I drive my kids nuts and I do not mean to but this being confined is maddening.

How totally infuriating this must be - not only to you but to any gardener who's eager to be out and about watching the garden unfold. Isn't it a pain to have these limitations creep up on you, though, even aside from the foot! I hope you heal quickly!

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

You are very kind. Thank you for the kind words. JB

aw JB I know you wouldn't hurt him...but you must be SOO frustrated...

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

One week of this is killing me. I am really ready to have a rip fit. LOL

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

More rain last night and more to come. We are up to 9" for the month.

JB thinking about you and praying it heals quickly.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I bit the bullet, took a xanax and decided to go to the greenhouse without a cane or walker or dog(for sure). It took me awhile but I got there and found the tea rose begonias that I have been selling like hot cakes were straggly and very dry. I cleaned them up and gave them a bidg drink. I hope they react the way I expect them to so I can ship some of them next Monday (if all goes well with dumb foot).
I lost cuttings from a Taitensis gardenia, golden vicary, and african gardenia,goldfish and maid of orleans jasmine. A bit disappointing but they need more attention and water than the Holiday cactus and just did not survive the week I was not there. So, we will just move on.
The weather was really "iffy" last week as you know and it was really impossible to keep the different plants watered properly and my dear SIL tried so hard. He ask me daily what needed to be watered. The water wand is very helpful, I would have lost more without it. He needed it since he is not familiar with the different plants. I can tell by looking and feeling...takes time to learn all that stuff and I am just thankful I did as well as I did. It was very humid yesterday and warmer than I thought. I only spent about an hour in the GH and then back to the AC and inside puttering.
Today we are to have storms and it is rather humid. Had to water deck plants with all the rain we have had. Unbelievable how hot that sun is when it is out. Good growing season weather if you have two good feet. LOL Have a great day and thanks for all your well wishes. JB

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

t storm and down pour right now...wow is it pouring!!!

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

The storm warning came over and it was for Middlesex and Monmouth and Ocean just missed me. It got really black in the North but no rain so far here.

JB, I read of your trials up above. Good for your perseverance! I'll be lucky if I make it to my 80's even if it means walking with a cane.

It rained all night here, my creek is up to the top of the banks... and 2" more rain expected. It all flows downhill to me, so 2" of rain might mean a foot or more here.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

We are getting some good rain today. At least here in central, MD. It was a slow and steady rain earlier it is coming down pretty good right now. I don't think that the grass ever stood up from the last storm on Friday.

It's pouring here, too, and there's a flood warning. We were driving home and my iPhone went off to signal the alert. But we crossed several rivers safely and are now home, snug and dry. I think this must be a record for rainfall in June.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

pouring again!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Just a little drizzle here.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

We were on our way home from another day of baby sitting for one of our 13 year old grandsons who had pectoral excavatum surgery. Boy is he spiking pain numbers, poor kid!! The plan was to stop for dinner when my phone startled us with a warning sound and a message that there would be flash flooding in our area very soon. It was a bit difficult to believe because we were only dealing with a few sprinkles, but we decided to go straight home. Right now it's raining buckets that can't be seen thru and the thunder and lightening are severe. I'm glad we crossed the little bridge over the Delaware in Belvidere, NJ before the storm hit.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It's pretty dry here. We've had plenty of overcast days, but no rain. Hope we get some soon or it'al be dragging hoses again.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

We seem to be having one storm after another. Some big ones, some small ones. But, for the past two weeks, there has not been a day without a shower, at the very least.

The good: no drought = no watering, pond is full, ducks seem happy.

The bad: lots of little biting bugs, cannot count on getting much work done outdoors, and am sick & tired of getting everything together at some point on the property only to have to run it all back indoors.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Dryish here, too. Just enough 'shower' for all those bugs!

Sissy, that stop/start gardening gets old really fast. Glad your ducks are happy.

Looking forward to two low humidity cooler days in a row.

JB Thinking about you every day.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

rain totals today 1.3"

When I look at the extended weather forecast I see a pretty wet summer in the making.

We had about an inch just when it was slacking off.

Farmers I know have said that they prefer drought to too much rain because they can always water, but they can't dry out their fields...

So true!

plenty of rain in Glen Burnie yesterday

honestly, the frequent rain has relieved me of caring for new transplants - they're all great. But maybe not good for seedlings- slugs ! wet roots!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We did get a brief shower last night, not enough though. Southern York and Lancaster Co. are plenty wet, it just seems to be missing us.

Forgot some of my seedlings on the deck last night. They were floating this morning.

Well, I get the feeling it will be a wet summer, which usually means tomato blight. Ugh.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, I'm sorry for the tomato blight and seedlings, but personally I'd welcome a wet summer. I am tired of incessant watering, which just doesn't do as good a job as nature anyway (and nature is a lot cheaper). The amount of time I spend watering drives me crazy.

I will invest in some more Sluggo, though....

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

A nasty storm went through the Horse Park of New Jersey near Clarksburg, NJ and took down trees along the way. Hail, rain and wind....I had called my daughter who also has an office at the Horse Park, and told her it was coming. They were able to shut down the loudspeaker system and computers before it got there, but there are at least 9 trees down again and they just got the ones cleaned up from Sandy. There seems to be no end for some people.

Here at the farm we got soaked again. No other damage around the North Hanover Twp section or Wrightstown that I heard of.

Today is a day off....sunshine for a change.

Hap, after living at this 'new' place for about 2 years, I was finally able to get the pump for the water from the spring functional. My garden thrives on it, much better than the chlorinated town water, and I don't have to pay by the gallon (I just pay the elec. for the pump to the holding tank).

Even with as much rain as we usually have here in the mountains, it often is not enough .... so I, too, seem to have incessant watering in some years.

I've quit fighting slugs and snails. I live on a creek, and thus there is an ever-abundant supply of them. I simply no longer try to grow magnets for them (like hostas). When I lived in Asheville they were a problem, but aluminum disposable pie plates with really yeasty beer kept their numbers in check. Here, it would take a 55 gal. drum of beer (or more) each summer and I'm not sure that would even be enough.

A tip, though: put the pie pan of beer under a paving stone supported by 3 bricks or rocks. Pets won't get into it, and rain will not dilute it.

gosh JB, neverending

good slug tip darius

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That s a good tip!!

JB thinking of you and hoping you heal quickly.

Gorgeous day today!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.