Upcoming Events in the Mid-Atlantic II

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

WELCOME to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum!

Take a moment to browse through recent threads, and you'll see we talk about a little of everything-- garden projects (big & small), seed starting, bird watching, special plants, indoor projects, what's blooming now, seasonal highlights and to-do lists, garden pests and beloved pets. This is an active forum, and there's a lot going on in this region!

This thread is for keeping track of upcoming events of interest to Mid-Atlantic DGers, from nursery sale events to flower shows to DG gatherings. We share information, and we can also meet up with other DGers who might be going where we're going.

If you have an event to add to the schedule, please post on this thread or Dmail me. I'll edit it into the list in the next post and try to keep us up to date.

Please try not to chat too much on this thread about upcoming events... We can start separate threads for discussion & organization, and I'll put links below, next to the event listing.

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

As we look forward to spring flower shows and garden sales, let's keep sharing some of the goings-on in our Mid-Atlantic Region!

What's going on in your area? From flower shows to nursery sale events, let's chat up some of the wonderful local events going on this summer!

It's always fun to see if you can meet up with other DGers at an event, and that's easy to organize by starting a thread in this forum (be sure and let me know so I can post a link on the list)!

Also, onewish is maintaining a google calendar for the Northeast Forum and is adding MAG events to it. Click here and bookmark this handy link: http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=jjt5jf00rom6k0u5bd6e9djrsg@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

FEBRUARY
Feb. 4, 12-4 pm TENTH annual "Think Spring!" seed swap in Frederick, MD. Dmail critterologist for details and to let me know if you're planning to come!

Rawlings Conservatory in Baltimore is doing a "Plants & People Sundays" series from 1:30 to 3 on -- you guessed it -- Sundays.

MARCH
March 11-19 Philadelphia Flower Show! "Holland" theme. http://theflowershow.com

? Rawlings Conservatory Spring Flower Show in Baltimore. http://www.rawlingsconservatory.org/

APRIL

MAY
TBA Mid-Atlantic Spring Plant Swap in southern NJ

May 13? BIG Plant Sale at Green Springs Gardens (usually the Sat. of Mother's Day Weekend)

This message was edited Jan 27, 2017 12:33 PM

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Rhododendron and azalea sale and show 5/11/13 held by the mason-dixon chapter. Tell them Paul sent you, at least come by and see the members trusses. Vote!

http://mdrhododendron.org/2011ShowSale.htm

The big event of the year is our annual Show and Sale in May. In 2013, it will be held at the Carroll County Ag Center in Westminster on Mother's Day weekend, May 11. Azaleas, rhododendrons, and companion plants, such as hollies, hostas, and other perennials will be available for purchase. The hours on Saturday, May 11, are 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Plant Swap Harrisburg Area Central Pa

sponsored by
West Shore Evangelical Free Church Garden of Weedin’ Community Gardeners
When: Saturday May 17, 2013
Time: 9-11 am
Where: The Pavilion at West Shore Evangelical Free Church, 1345 Williams Grove Road, Mechanicsburg, Pa 17055

For more information contact Cathy Morgan at
cmorgan@westshorefree.org or call 717-697-0226

http://inbox.centurylink.net/service/home/~/Plant%20Exchange-1.pdf?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=502981&part=2

This is one plant swap I will be able to make cause it,s close to home & I don't have to leave Bob alone too long.

http://extension.psu.edu/cumberland/events/2013-plant-fest

Penn State Master Gardeners Extention Plant & yard sale
Date: Saturday May 17, 2013
Time: 8:00 a.m. til 3:00 p.m.

http://extension.psu.edu/cumberland/news/2013/master-gardener-plant-fest

This message was edited May 11, 2013 1:01 AM

This message was edited Apr 30, 2014 2:15 PM

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Baltimore County Master Gardeners will host their 3rd Annual Plant Sale on May 11 at 1114 Shawan Road in Cockeysville MD 21093. It will start at 9 and run until 2 or until we are sold out RAIN or SHINE. It is at the Baltimore County Center for MD Agriculture. Due to rain in the forecast we will host the sale in 2 barns with the plants staged in stalls and the indoor arena of the barns. Parking will be very close to the barns so there is no need to get wet.

We will have natives, rare plants and many high quality nursery grown plants that will be a fraction of retail. We have had many generous donors who have given us many lovely plants in addition to many specimen plants from MG's gardens.

We also have annuals and many donated and MG grown heirloom tomato plants in addition to many other edibles. We also have a large selection of woodies.

If you have any questions please contact the Baltimore County Extension Office on Friday. Please come and join the fun!

Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Why does everyone pick the Saturday before Mother's Day for sales? I can't be in 3 places at once!!!

Silver Spring Garden Club's Garden Mart PLANT SALE

Saturday,May 11, 2013
9 a.m. to 1p.m.

Brookside Gardens Visitor's Center Grounds
1800 Glenallan Avenue, Wheaton, MD

• Perennials
• Herbs
• Native Plants
• Shrubs
• Annuals
• Heirloom Tomatoes
• House Plants
• Bedding Plants
• Vegetables
• Hanging Baskets
Mother's Day Gifts

Garden Raffle
Rain or Shine!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I added those to the running list at the top. Yes, lots of sales happening tomorrow! Sally & Terri (Aspenhill) & I are doing a little road trip to the Baltimore MG sale and the azalea & rhodi show. Ottahand, look for us at the opening bell! :-)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

That is great! I'll be at the azalea rhodo show around 2. You have to do one thing for me if you beat me there ask for Sonny Coble (he should be at the entrance regardless) and tell him your are friends of Paul. I hope to see you there!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Critter, Sally and Aspen: How long will you be at Westminster? I might try to make it after the Silver Spring sale, but that wouldn't put me up there until noon or so .... Depends in part on whether I can wheedle out of a doctor's appointment I am supposed to take my daughter to (that is, if Darryl will do it).... If you see anything you think I can't live without, please call my cell!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy, I'm not sure if we're "doing" the azalea show or the MG sale first... but we can "personal shop" a bit for you... Do me a favor, please, and Dmail your cell number... might be on my phone, but I'm not sure...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Done.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Rawlings Newsletter:

The HUGE Agave in the desert House is going to bloom.
They have removed the glass panels above it to allow the fast-growing spike to grow to
its predicted height of 25'.

This is once in a century event. After blooming--the whole plant will start to decline and, eventually, die.
Here is the link from the e-mail I received. Hope it comes through....

Gita

edited to say--
the link did not work. I deleted it--as it took me to my e-mail screen.
Maybe you can get to the newsletter another way.....like their Web site?

This message was edited May 16, 2013 10:41 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well--I tried c/p'ing the whole thing. The text went through--but not the pictures.
At least you can read it.....Gita

May 2013 Newsletter
Dear Gita,

We are off to a great start of a busy spring season! Read on for recaps of recent news and to learn more about upcoming events. We look forward to bringing you exciting activities and events over the coming year that will celebrate the Conservatory's past and keep its future blooming. Check our calendar for a schedule of the year's activities.
Agave Watch 2013! Agave americana getting set to bloom.
The huge blue agave, already impressive at over 8 feet tall and 13 feet wide, is sending up a flower spike that may reach a height of 25 feet. This particular flower spike appeared around March 22, 2013, and glass was removed on April 3 to accommodate the swiftly growing spike.

In an amazing coincidence, the Variegated Agave began to send up its own flower shoot on April 28. This plant is a centerpiece in the Desert House as its leaves curl and stretch over 12 feet in every direction. Many visitors will recall that this is the giant "dancing" plant in the front of the Desert House. Glass was removed on May 6th to allow this flower spike to grow up to 25 feet. Above, Conservatory Staff Member Beth Succop is pictured recording the height of the Variegated Agave americana's stalk.

Additionally, two species of smaller agaves are also developing flower spikes. The stalks have not yet bloomed! The opening of buds can occur anywhere from 2 - 3 months after the appearance of the flower spike.

In nature, agaves can take up to 30 years to bloom. Agaves have earned the nickname "Century Plants" because they bloom only once in their long lifetime. The tall stalk of spectacular flowers signals the end of the plant's life cycle. However, the species also produces numerous small "pups", or baby plants. These new offshoots of the original plant will be cultivated for future plantings. The agave is hardy in USDA zone 8.

Follow AGAVE WATCH 2013 on Facebook, Flickr, or our Website for frequent updates!
Cupola project is complete, with beautiful results!
Between April 14 & 19, Rough Brothers Inc, who have worked on distinguished projects across the country, including the U.S. Botanic gardens in D.C., brought their over 80 years of experience to repairing the damage to our cupola caused by Hurricane Irene in 2011. View before, during, and after photos of the installation of eight new individually motorized awning windows, repaired wood framing, and a fresh coat of paint, inside and out. Even the scaffold they constructed to complete the project was impressive. Thank you for your commitment to doing quality work, Rough Brothers!
News and Upcoming Events

May 11 - Market Day at Cylburn Arboretum, 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. free admission, $5-10 parking. Bulbs from the Conservatory's spring flower display, annuals and perennials, native plants, and vegetables - there is something for everyone! Find gorgeous hanging baskets, herbs, trees, shrubs, rare and native plants for sale. Many of the plants are grown on-site by the Cylburn Arboretum Association, Baltimore City Recreation & Parks and UME Baltimore City Master Gardeners while others come from area garden clubs, specialty growers and non-profits.

The May 11 bus tour of Architect George A. Frederick's Baltimore designs, including the Palm House, is sold out!

May 19th - EARLY CLOSURE at the Conservatory, close at 2 p.m. for private event. Also on May 19th - ART OUTSIDE festival at the Reservoir in Druid Hill Park, 11 - 4:30. An homage to Druid Hill park's beloved art show from the past is happening this year! This day-long arts festival will feature Maryland artists showcasing and selling their creative works, The BSO OrchKids, as well as performing arts from Baltimore area schools, strolling entertainment, children's arts & crafts with Baltimore's leading art entities, local food trucks, and so much more.

May 29 - Community Gardening Day, 8 a.m. - noon. Help plant the gardens around the Conservatory. Last year's volunteers got over one month's worth of work done in 3 hours! Come make a difference at the Conservatory. We need help planting and mulching the beds. We also need a few people to help grill lunch for the group. We will be forming teams, and each team will have a leader from the Horticulture Division's staff who will provide training and help get the beds planted according to plan. All are welcome! Please RSVP. Sign up here.

We are gearing up for the 3rd season of the Druid Hill Farmers' Market. Join us and the Friends of Druid Hill Park for opening day on June 5th!

The Desert House is exploding with color, and the Tropical House smells sweet. View photos of what's in bloom here.

We had a wonderful time at EcoFest on April 20! Workshops galore at the Conservatory . . . view images of some great upcycling projects for the garden, ideas for an herb container garden, and get up close with a bee hive!

Did you miss our spring flower display? Don't fret, we have many images to share! Special thanks to photographers Glen Mendels, James Rosenthal, and Steven Considine for their generosity.

Keep up to date on our 125th anniversary celebrations by visiting our calendar of events, as well as our 125th page.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I did this walking tour last year and it was well worth it (though mostly different properties are on the list this year so I can't speak to those): http://bethesda-chevychase.patch.com/events/private-gardens-of-montgomery-county-tour.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I may be sticking my neck out, but Holly and I will be home next fall, and have been discussing hosting a Fall Swap 2014. Many of you have only seen our place in the spring, and we would like to invite everyone back in a more mature season.

I'm sooo bummed out missing this fall:-{

This message was edited Aug 24, 2013 9:13 PM

Thumbnail by Ric_of_MAF
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Woohoo!!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

sounds good to me!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Close to home for me. At least if I stumble & fall, Hershey Med is close by! ;-p

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It's show time again, Ive posted details here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1351204/

Mount Laurel, NJ

PLANT SALE - at Mt. Laurel Library - Sat April 26 9am - 1pm - Mostly perennials.
by Mt. Laurel Garden club. Prices are ridiculously low. Get there early, we sell out quickly on the best items.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Native Plant Sales and Sources 2014

RESOURCES

Maryland Native Plant Society
http://www.mdflora.org/publications/nurseries.html

March

April
Sale Sat April 5 Leesburg, VA
http://www.loudounwildlife.org/Event_Native_Plant_Sale_Spring.html

Sale Sat April 5 Columbia MD
http://www.mdflora.org/plantsales.html?eventId=866175&EventViewMode=EventDetails

Sale Fri/Sat/Sun April 11-13 Adkins Arboretum Ridgely, MD
http://www.adkinsplants.com/

Sale Sat April 26 Mt Airy MD
http://www.centralmdaudubon.org/news.htm#Item2

May

Sale Sun May 4 Robinson Nature Center, Columbia MD
http://www.mdflora.org/plantsales.html?eventId=866180&EventViewMode=EventDetails

Sale Sat May 10 New Germany State Park MD
http://www.mdflora.org/plantsales.html?eventId=827126&EventViewMode=EventDetails

This message was edited Mar 8, 2014 8:50 PM

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Environmental Protection Agency's list of "Native Plant Sales in the Mid-Atlantic Region" (also has lots of useful links): http://www.epa.gov/reg3esd1/garden/sales.htm

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

The Adkins Arbortum in Ridgely, MD is a wonderful place. It is near my Aunt's house so I go there in August (not much blooming but walking the paths in the woodland is beautiful). The last time I was there they had some goats in a pen, may have been using them to clear out brush, (beware: electric wire on fence, ask me how I know, lol).

Maybe I will make a trip over that weekend, haven't seen my Aunt in a while.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

For those in Northern Va and MD west/north of DC, there is a native plant sale sponsored by the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy on April 5th in Leesburg, VA.

David/ Greenthumb will be helping at the sale in the afternoon .

http://www.loudounwildlife.org/Event_Native_Plant_Sale_Spring.html

This message was edited Mar 8, 2014 9:34 PM

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

what time, Coleup? If it's early enough in the day, Katie and I might be able to visit you there!! :-)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Coleup was quoting me from another thread, I'm working the sale, not her. A little confusing as copied. I will probably be there pretty much all day despite my half day schedule.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

thanks for the clarification, Greenthumb--it might be interesting for me to attend and would be nice to see you, of course. Might be a good place to pick up some plants I'll be wanting! :-)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

March

* 8am-5pm, Lecture "Using Native Plants in the Landscape," & Plant sale at the Northern Shenandoah Master Gardeners' 'Garden in the Valley' Symposium, Hester Auditorium, Shenandoah University, Winchester, VA

* 8:30-4:30pm, Native Plant Sale at LHAR Symposium, National Arboretum, Washington, DC

29-30

* 8am-5pm, Lecture "Covering Your Tracks: Using Native Plants as Groundcovers," (Sunday, 30th) and Native Plant Sale (both days) at the Annual Gardening Symposium, Loudoun County Master Gardeners, Ida Lee Rec Center, Leesburg, VA

April

* 9am, Native Plant Sale sponsored by Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy, Morven Park, Leesburg, VA

10, 11, 12

* 9am-5pm, Plant Sale at the American Horticultural Society's Spring Garden Market, RIver Farm, Alexandria, VA, www.ahs.org/river_farm

* 9am-2pm, Native plant sale at ParkFairfax Native Plant Sale, Alexandria, VA
* 8:30am-3pm, Rappahannock County Spring Plant Sale, Waterpenny Farm, Sperryville, VA

May

1, 2, 3

* Lewis Ginter Spring Plant Sale, 1pm-6pm on Thursday, 9am-5pm on Friday & Saturday, Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens, RIchmond, VA, www.lewisginter.org

* 7am-Noon, Warrenton Farmers' Market, Warrenton, VA (Saturdays through November)

9, 10, 11

* Spring Garden Fair, 5pm-7pm, Friday; 9am-5pm, Saturday & Sunday, State Arboretum of VA (Blandy), Boyce, VA

* 7am-Noon, Warrenton Farmers’ Market, Warrenton, VA (Saturdays through November)

* 9am-4pm, Spring Garden Market, Historic Green Springs Garden Park, Alexandria, VA

* 7am-Noon, Warrenton Farmers’ Market, Warrenton, VA (Saturdays through November)

* Annual Spring OPEN HOUSE, 9am-4pm, Hill House Farm & Nursery, Castleton, VA
* 7am-Noon, Warrenton Farmers' Market, Warrenton, VA (Saturdays through November)

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2014: Cylburn Arboretum Market Day
http://cylburn.org/education-events/special-events/market-day/

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Saturday May 3rd is Mid Atlantic Invasive Plant Removal Day

Check this site as listings near us are now starting to be posted. A fun activity for the entire family and sometimes in areas not always accessible to the public!

http://www.maipc.org/iprday/about.html

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Karen--

If you go to the Cylburn Market day--make your way towards the Greenhouses.
Not only will you be able to buy some starts from my Brugs--but Rawlings
Conservatory also sells off all the bulbs they used for their spring Bulb Show.
You can ask someone where they are located--as this place is huge!

These bulbs are purchased, every year, from Holland--so they are top grade.
The volunteers take the pots outside and let them lay around until it is time
to dig them out of the pots. The one time I went to the Market day--
Rawlings people were selling these bulbs 3/$1. Crazy cheap.

I won't be able to make it as my daughter and her SO will be visiting here.

Hope you go---G.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

I went last year and bought some bulbs. Looking forward to going earlier in the day this year and getting a much larger quantity. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

If my daughter and her So go out of town--like DC or PA--I may want to go.
But--it is most likely that they will have my car,,,,

We will see.....Good night! Gita.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Next Sat April 26 2014 8 - noon.
Bowie / Crofton Garden Club Plant Sale at the Bowie Library Rt 450 and Belair Dr.

Native plants, tomato starts, herbs, annuals and perennials, New this year Monarch Butterfly Way station kits..11 butterfly friendly plants.

NOTE: 50 Monarch Way Station Kits @ $25.00 per kit available "1st come 1st served" day of sale. (limit 1 per family)
Quantities are limited due to lack of Milkweed availability, however other individual plants from the kit may be purchased separately

Thumbnail by coleup
Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Baltimore County Master Gardener Plant Sale May 10 - directions are on the attached flyer. Great plants and great prices!

We are frequently updating our plant list on the Baltimore County Master Gardener website BuddingNews under the plant sale tab.

Please bring boxes as we have a limited number of wagons. The sale in indoors so we will be open rain or shine!

Thumbnail by ottahand7
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, my goodness.....

In MAY--When it rains---it pours--as far as plant sales are concerned....

IF I am not tied down with DD visiting etc--I would love to go to the
Master Gardeners Plant sale....BUT--I only see my DD and her SO
once every 2 years--so if we have other plans--I will not go.
Gita

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I have not been to this sale but I received notice of it and wanted to pass it along.

5/10/2014
This Saturday the Silver Spring Garden Club will hold its annual Garden Mart, where you can buy some really high quality plants very cheap! Members sell their extra seedlings or divided perennials to raise money for club activities.

Several people from the Forest Estates neighborhood are members of this club. One of our club's activities is to tend the healing garden at Holy Cross Hospital.

This year's sale will take place at the Historic Silver Spring Train Station, which is located at 8100 Georgia Avenue.

You can often find incredible plants at very good prices. Raffle prizes are great too. Cash or check only!

SSGC Garden Mart
Saturday May 10
9am -1pm
Historic SS Train Station

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

I just learned about this group called the Natural History Society of Maryland.
http://www.meetup.com/marylandnature/

They are having a Plant Identification Lab event next week. Learn about it here:
http://www.meetup.com/marylandnature/events/177592322/

"Would you like to sharpen your plant ID skills? Join us as we identify the specimens collected in late September and early March at the Baltimore County Center for Maryland Agriculture and Farm Park. We’ll use plant keys, hand lenses, microscopes, and reference collections from the Natural History Society of Maryland. This will not be a formal class, but rather an informal time for you to work with other interested people and with researchers conducting the Ag Center inventory.

During these labs (May 12 and May 26), we will examine and identify the plants from a wet agricultural field, sharing our knowledge as we focus on a variety of plant types, including trees and shrubs, grasses, sedges, and herbaceous plants. After this session we plan to offer additional lab series as the Ag Center project continues through the seasons of the year and the varied habitats at the Baltimore County property.

All levels of experience are welcome—from those with a basic knowledge of how to use a plant key to those who are experienced botanists. If you’re brand new to plant identification, you may instead consider attending the formal plant identification class starting this spring (http://www.meetup.com/marylandnature/events/160976122/), where you can learn basic plant vocabulary and the keying process.

Bring a hand lens if you have one; we will have lenses and keys to share.

Cost:
Members of the Natural History Society of Maryland - $15 for both sessions, paid at the first session; $10 walk-ins for individual sessions.

Non-members of the Natural History Society of Maryland - $10 walk-ins only."

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Keep Sept. 13th open for the fall swap at Ric and Holly's.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

My Sat 9/13 at Ric and Holly's house is already IN STONE. In DIAMOND, even! =)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.