Plants blooming today

Port St Lucie, FL(Zone 10a)

Hello all, Just got back down to my place in Port St Lucie. This neglected Encyclia randii managed to bloom again. I have been sprucing up the beds. Epi. radicans still manages bloom along with Epi. tampense.

Thumbnail by JPtropic Thumbnail by JPtropic
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

You were right on target with finding out what that Cereus is tlm1. Thank you much, and now I know!
Its hard to see neglect in that very special Orchid JP. Great pictures of a great Orchid!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

the rain did continue all night and until around lunch time.

it always seems to rain when a flush of buds are opening on my hybrid tea rose - they aren't pretty when the petals are soggy.

pretty orchid! i love the color contrast and the chocolatey brown.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

JP, Beautiful Orchid!!! I wish I could say that we had rain… I've got the sprinkler set up for our watering day, tomorrow!

David, that is a gorgeous Epi. Can't wait to see your zig-zag bloom!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I know some one out there has something blooming to show us today unless the rain knocked them down last night!

The Opuntia is blooming today here...

It sounds like some of you really got pounded with the rain last night on the news?

A late start to the day, but its time to go to work. Sigh...

David

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Quilter,
ZigZag is not the same as devils backbone. I have 2 devils backbones and now thanks to someone at RU I have the zig zag cactus. A large cutting that I planted in some good dirt and hope it will grow.

We got a good pelting of rain last night and plants sure appreciate it.

I have so many pots I am watching that seeds are in can't wait to see them grow. Shauna gave me a load of bee balm seeds and they are poling up thru the soil. Yipee.

We are supposed to get more rain today or tonight.

Bonnie

Huh!?!?! Did someone say rain? I wish! Haven't seen a drop here. Except the drops coming out of my sprinkler this morning!
Keeping my fingers crossed for rain later today. That's the way it normally happens…As soon as I break down and put the sprinkler out, give it a good soak, then it rains!!!

Ah well…
I do have a few blooms today...

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1

Found a few more….
Jalapeno, Big Dipper bell pepper, Evening Primrose, Milkweed and Chives.

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I wish I had that first yellow one. I do have the red sage and mine is blooming too. The hummers love that stuff. I have to cut it back at least two times a year.

Hi gg, The hummers really DO love it don't they! I was told that they really like the Esperanza also, but I've got them side by side, and they kind of ignore it. I've seen a hummingbird moth on it , but not a hummingbird…I love it nonetheless.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

The rain these past few days has been great! All my plants look so much happier, perkier and greener after the good drenching that we have had.

And my rain barrels are full!

A couple of my roses that have their first bloom of the season. The red is a Don Juan, but I don't know what the white one is.

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

nary a drop here :-(

Orlando, FL

Sunflower, milkweed, Begonia, Hoya pachyclada, DesertRose

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna
Orlando, FL

Little lorax lizard..he basically asked me to stop pruning the elephant ears.

Thumbnail by locoluna
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I havent had a green lizard in years. The brown/black ones have eaten them all. I think the cuban tree frogs eat them as well. I so miss them.

Very nice flowers

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I loved the pics tlm1. The red sage that GG identified was my favorite because my friend Pat here,... has a huge patch of it and has shared it with me. We both knew it was an herb yet had not identified it. Its winning point for me was knowing it went right through the freezes in Pat's gardens. That made it extra special to me!
I am still thinking what a great thread this is that Bonnie started sharing Florida blooms. I think its is a keeper thread,... and hoping for many more editions as time goes by. Its special and has huge educational potential.
You are far from loco Luna with your great pics! The lizard stole the show! Every color Anole type lizard imaginable (and with every hybrid coloring including true green) seems to be habitating in my gardens, and have I no doubts keep my bug problems down. The ones with the Rattlesnake coloring; small spines on their back, and red heads are especially interesting to me...

These are flowers from here today. I know I've shared the H. schizopetalus before as a first bloom, but this is the 2nd and wasn't fried by the Sun...

...The Daylily is neither the prettiest or one of my favorites. This was its first bloom today however, and was given to me by a friend several years ago. I now have a sizeable clump. The upside is that the flowers are large and interesting and came from a friend...

David

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Orlando, FL

Desert rose, Euphorbia'medusa head', begonia, and two more desert rose

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

everyone's pics are great! i love them all! especially the lizard - i'm smiling at the Lorax reference :)

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Good Morning All,
This Lakeview Jasmine opened this morning . The fragrance knocks you over!

Thumbnail by tony9779 Thumbnail by tony9779

Beautiful pics. Love the lizard!

I think there could be a little confusion…The red Sage…Actually the one that I posted is Salvia blepharophylla, a shrubby perennial. There is also a Salvia elegans, Pineapple sage… I have that one also, and I'm waiting for that to bloom in the next day or two. That one is the herb, fruity aroma and taste, great for teas, etc. Both of them are much loved by hummingbirds.

S.blepharophylla… http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1920/

S.elegans… http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1913/

I'll post the Pineapple sage when it's in full bloom. It's a recent addition to my garden.

:-)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

That last Desert Rose pic looks like a human morphing into a plant loco! Ha!
Glad you cleared us up from Sage to Salvia tlm. It makes agreat looking groundcover in an area of Pat's yard. It looks like all you Jax area gardeners are getting some good rain today.
I hope the Gainesville area gets a good rain too GG. Its been raining here for hours and still is now...

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful flowers everyone! We are so lucky to live in Florida!!!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I need to remember to look for Pineapple Sage. Used to plant it at my front door in MD and it smelled wonderful when I would brush up against it.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

JPtropic, love that orchid!

David that Opuntia is so beautiful, I see them often when hiking, might have to come home with a piece next time.

Shauna your roses are beautiful, I have no luck with roses, knock out are all you'll find in my garden.

Tim, you have a lot of the same plants I do in your garden, in fact the only thing I don't have that you pictured is that pretty pink primrose.

locoluna, you have some very interesting plants, that hoya is pretty neat and great close up. Thanks for sharing.

Tony I'm loving all the jasmine, that is a nice contained looking bush you have.

My morning glory from Bonnie, Indian Ginger, good smelling hoya, first flower from the black and blue salvias,Red Crimson passion flower, first blooms of the season.

This message was edited May 2, 2013 10:37 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Someone got a new camera.............?

Great pic's Sherri!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im SO getting that black and blue salvia this weekend.

Jean, I get my pineapple sage at HD. The butterflies and especially hummers just love it, and the blooms look nice in the garden too.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I just got a Black and blue for the first time from the Lake Helen Saturday Flea Market a couple of weeks ago. (Lots of plants) I put it in a place that will allow it to get large. I want it to become a big ole' bush...
It's still raining. These were blooms taken today in the light drizzle times... The plants behind the Allysum are these giant purple Cockscombs I got seeds from a friend from a year ago. The heads can get almost a foot across on 4-6 foot plants and look like Pirate hats. Hope these do that and I can share pictures in a few weeks...

(had to throw in the Opuntia again, and probably will again. I'm waiting for the whole thing to be lit up someday soon on a Sunny day!)

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

...Can't leave out these old heirloom Marigolds I've been growing for years. They get 4ft. tall and 3ft. wide each and keep going. They reseed freely and are very reliable here. They are one of my favorites...

This message was edited May 2, 2013 3:25 PM

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

marigolds, zinnia, and lantana are about the only flowers I remember being in the garden growing up. I love that smell of marigolds to this day, reminds me of all the 'arrangements' I made wit them. I loved this time of the year as well, used to love to pick the wild phlox.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

great pictures! i especially love the jasmine Tony, blue sage Sunkissed, and marigolds David! we always grew those marigolds and they were a favorite each year when we had them, great to see and remember

rain, rain, go....away....to someone who needs it! it really has been raining since Sunday and isn't supposed to leave until this Sunday. it's great, but it's so much and it's so constant.

can't take pics, plus everything's soggy. my agapanthus sent up just one stalk but it's growing so fast. everyone else's are blooming though.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

The Blue Pea Vine is blooming for the first time this season today. They are edible too and can be stir-fried like Snow Peas when young. Blue food coloring is made from them too. Clitoria ternatia.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

That is lovely.................you never cease to amaze me with what you grow.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a view of one of my flower beds. It's a mix of bromeliads, gaura, hibscuses, crotons and Hawaiian ti. Have a before and after, taken about a year and a half apart.

This message was edited May 3, 2013 6:35 PM

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219

Shauna what a transformation...looking really great. Hope you got some of this rain.

David where do you get these unusual plants from? I like the blue pea vine, anything I can grow and eat. I picked off some of my faded marigold blossoms and stuck the seed down in the pot, noticed only four days late they are all sprouting, all the rain I'm sure has helped that out.

I found this cool looking caladium at my local nursery, I don't have any like this one... I like the spots.

I bought this Iochroma Royal Queen at the Leu Garden plant show for 4 bucks, it has surprised me in how much it has grown. Now getting the second burst of flowers. Think I'm gonna like this one.

One of those pretty pale pink periwinkles about to unfold its beauty

This message was edited May 4, 2013 10:46 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Great pictures!. I love the spotted caladiums too. I used to have some, but have nary a caladium this year.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

sunkissed...your caladium is called Miss Muffet. :)

Thanks MM...good to know. ☺

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sent my daughter to get some first of the season green peanuts to boil. Not only did I get the peanuts, she came home with this little lantana tree, Ive wanted one for a couple of years now. They have them on QCV for about 30 bucks, and I just wasnt going for that.

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

http://www.classiccaladiumsllc.com/varieties/varieties.htm

Here's a great link to the different varieties of Caldiums.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

i love the caladium! and i still can't get over the periwinkle!

and i love the lantana standard! i'm so afraid of getting one and ruining it's form.

great link

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.