OVRG #198 Spring is here!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, How did your yard sale go this weekend? Hope to hear you sold everything.

Have been trying to get the weeds under control. They have gone crazy this year. Preen has not helped out at all this year. I need a new plan of attack. I pulled hundreds of maple tree saplings yesterday. I have a burdock explosion this year for some reason. I think weeds have declared war on my yard and are taking over! LOL! At least I still have some pretty things growing a long with the weeds.
Here are a few of my blooms from today.

Pic 1 Peace Rose My very first bloom!
Pic 2 Yellow lily
Pic 3 Sidalcea
Pic 4 My tiny Endless Summer Hydrangea
Pic 5 Moonlit Masqurade and Incrediball Hydrangea

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Beautiful pictures, Karen!
I have my first regular size tomato coming on. Already harvested some cherries and a paste, also some potatoes.
Flower gardens are doing great with all the rain.
Love summer!
Happy planting everyone!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone...sorry I haven't made it back here till now. Thanks so much for all the concern and prayers for my son, Mike. He had his oncologist visit yesterday, and she is supposedly tops in her field. She tends to agree with his general care physician, but drew 7 more vials of blood to be tested before she will make a diagnosis for certain. She does feel IF it is CLL...they have caught it in the very early stages, since he has NO symptoms...except the blood results....and this would be a good thing! So now it will be Thursday or Friday before these tests come back...and she makes a diagnosis. Hurry up and wait..wait...wait.!!!
In the mean time...I've been trying to work outside and get things done. Things are coming along, but wish I had a helper or two...LOL! I must be getting OLD!!!!
All of the flower pics on here are greatttt!! Love seeing them!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I'll be praying for the best diagnosis possible for your son. Working in the garden is the best way to keep you mind off of problems. We are all getting older, and I can't believe how soon I become fatigued when I work in the garden. Thank goodness for Dave's help, I would not be able to keep up without him.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy still keeping your son in my prayers. I am dealing with an older sister who went to the hospital last Friday for an impacted intestine, and due to pain meds or some other cause, has slipped into dementia. I just got home, and will go back tomorrow to be with her DH when he speaks with the hospital social worker and the Dr and nurses. They are recommending that she be placed in a nursing home for a short period to see if she improves.

I have dug up all the daylilies and completely dug up my front bed which is 30x8 took some things out divided them and put some back in, but it is mainly a blank slate right now, so will be adding some things that are not complete thugs that want to take over.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Peggy, Thank You! Glad your tomatoes are coming along good. You sure worked hard to get them with all the hauling in and out this spring.

Marcy, Glad your son has a top doctor. Will keep you and your son in my prayers.

Bonnie, Sorry to hear your sister is having such a hard time. Will pray for your sister and her husband.
Blank slate sounds like fun. Keep us posted what you decide on.
The one of the daylilies you gave me has scapes on it. I'll get to see it's beauty soon.

Karen, you asked about the yard sale. It went well, but surprisingly Friday was lots better than Saturday. Made over $170. which for this small community is very good. It was a lot of work, and I still have to load all the leftovers and get them to Goodwill. Nothing is coming back in my house!

Let me know when the daylily blooms. Hope it is a very pretty one.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone..I appreciate it.
Bonnie...so sorry to hear about your sister...I hope she gets better.
Lou...yesss...my Dave helps too, but still works 3 afternoons a week at the grocery...and seems he is never here when I need him!!!! But he does help me out a lot when he is here.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie,Glad you made some money to cover your time and trouble. I don't blame you for not wanting to bring it back home. Clutter drives me crazy and yes my husband is a pack-rat. I have to clean out closets and the basement while he is at work and get rid of junk before he comes home. Then I never know what happens to anything when ask. It is true I have no idea what they do with the stuff once I drop it off. LOL!
I'm sure the daylily will be pretty. I love flowers and have seen very few that I didn't like. I will post a picture when it blooms.
Hope you get some good news today about your sister!
Karen

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Marcy, hope the prognosis is good on your son. I will pray too. The waiting is maddening.
Bonnie, so sorry to hear about your sis. Hopefully it's just a temporary condition.
Gardening IS good therapy. I'd probably be COMPLETELY nuts without it! Not far anyway! LOL!
Can anyone give me some advice on harvesting garlic? We're getting ready to go on vacation and I'm not sure if it's okay to leave in the ground till we return. It's starting to turn brown at the bottoms of the stalks like its supposed to when its ready to harvest. Not sure I want to tackle all that before vacation. We'll be gone from Tues. till the following Tues. TIA for any advice.
Blessings to all!

Peggy, if the stalks (scapes) haven't turned brown all the way, they will be fine to harvest when you get back. Especially since we are getting some rain that will help keep them from maturing completely. Not a garlic expert, but have raised it and have had good luck with it.

Today, went to be with my DBIL to a meeting with the Social workers , Doctors and Head nurse about what to do with my DS. Medicare insisted that they wouldn't pay for any more days in the hospital, as the condition that she was admitted for was all cleared up. She is still out of it, so the only alternative was to bring her home, but with round the clock sitters, or a nursing home. The hospital worked with the NH and got her in and transferred there about 4 this afternoon. She was not happy about it, so we (me and her DH) are going to not go tomorrow and let her settle in, and then go visit on Friday and see what the condition is then. It was a very emotional day for me, and I am completely exhausted.

Marcy, still saying prayers for your DS. Sounds like it was caught early and that should mean a complete recovery. Sure hope so.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Will keep praying for your sister to make a quick and full recovery. Maybe the change of environment will help her to snap back.
Going to Kings Island today with my son. Hope the rain leaves us alone to have a good time.
Have a blessed day!
Karen

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Prayers for your sis, Bonnie. I know how awful it is to see someone you grew up with and love in that condition. Like Karen said....maybe the change in environment will help? Hope so!

Thanks again to EVERYONE...for all the prayers for my son, Mike. I will let you know what he finds out..either today or tomorrow.

Columbus, OH

How nervewracking! I will keep your son in my thoughts.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Bonnie for your advice. Hope your sis is doing better.

Well, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I visited my DS last night, and when I walked into the NH she had two ladies visiting from her church. I got the opportunity to just sit and listen to the conversation, and it helped me judge the situation. She is about 98% back to normal. Praise the Lord.

It was the meds instead of dementia. Dementia doesn't just reverse like that, although I argued with her DDIL later as she is convinced that is what it is. She is a piece of work, and I don't really like to talk to her, but I had to relay a message from my DS.

Been planting the daylilies that I saved from digging up my huge bed. Have 4 rows planted, and have another couple to go. I am going to have the best blooms next year, can't wait.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Glad to hear you DS is doing better! Your right dementia does not reverse like that. It would be nice if they could reverse it like that. Hope your sister continues to improve. I will keep her in my prayers.
Congratulations on getting your bed back together! Hope they bloom their hearts out for you next year.
Have a blessed evening.
Karen

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone. Sooo good to hear that about your sis, Bonnie!! Meds can do funny things...especially to older folks.
Well...Mike DOES have CLL..as was suspected. The good news is...the drs think it is in the very early stages. He will be undergoing lots more tests in July.
He seems to be feeling much better about the situation right now...for which I am thankful.
He is a go getter and seems to be dealing with it head on...his style. He walks at least 5 miles a day...eats nothing but organic foods....and the dr told him to continue that. The bad thing..in my opinion is...he works sometimes 7 days a week. He is..and has always been a workaholic. I keep telling him...a person needs rest and play time too.
He isn't married, so has no one to keep him busy other than work.
Thanks again for all the prayers for him...and please continue to keep him in prayers.
I will keep you all updated.
Lunchtime here...I cant miss that!!!!

Well, in the not so good news, in a glimmer of good news, in that it is in the early stages, and seems that he is already doing everything that is right. I will keep him in my prayers as he undergoes tests and possibly treatment.

My DS is chomping at the bit to be released from the NH. Didn't know it almost takes an act of congress to get one sprung! I am working on that, as well as doing laundry (changed both beds) and using the vacuum, which seems to be about all I get done lately.

Did go out at DH's urging and finished planting the daylilies, even though it was/is sprinkling rain. Glad that long hard job is over. Now if I can last through digging and dividing my iris a little later on, I will feel like that this has been a very worthwhile gardening season.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Marcy, Sorry to hear it is CLL. . Glad they have found it early and he is taking it head on. His attitude and habits will help him to beat it. I'll keep praying for his full recovery. I'll pray for you the strength to help you through till he's better.

Bonnie, I don't blame your DS. There is no place like home. Hope you can spring her soon.
Congratulations on being done with your daylily bed. Good luck getting your iris bed done.

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hope everybody had a safe and fun holiday! We had a great Fourth and weekend.

Bonnie, Hope you have been able to spring your DS. I'm praying for her to get to go home. There is no place like home.
One of the daylilies you gave me bloomed today. It sure is a pretty one.

Have a Blessed day!
Karen

Thumbnail by taylordaylily

Karen, it sure looks better in your garden! I do remember it though.

DS was released from the NH last Tuesday, and seems to be fine, although a little weak from being in the hospital and in bed for a week. She will recover.

I am canning pickles today. Making a couple jars of dill pickle spears, and some sweet pickles. Also cooking some green beans that DH and I broke last night. Sure smells good in here!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Great News! Glad to hear your DS is home and doing well. It won't take her long to bounce back now that she is home.
Sounds like your house is a good place to be today. I'm not sure which sounds better homemade pickles or the fresh green beans.
I'm cleaning my house, have family from out of state coming in Wed. for a few days. My cousin and his wife are coming from Arlington VA. to visit. They are blind but don't tell them that. It amazes me how they get around Washington D.C. so well. They know what subway car to get on by the sound it makes. They get it right every time. God blessed them with a lot of talent in place of their sight. I can't wait to see them. Going to be a great week!
Have a blessed day!
Karen

Karen, hope you enjoy your company. You don't have to tell me about blind people, I have a friend who is blind, and she cooks and moves around the kitchen better than I do. She is a wonder. Of course she has fancy measuring cups, spoons, etc, so she is able to "hear" the measurements instead of reading them.

The pickles are done, 12 pints, so may not have to do any more. We are not big pickle eaters, so this should do.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Thanks! We haven't seen them for 2 years, will be great a time.
Hope your green beans were good.
Have a blessed day!
Karen

Columbus, OH

Karen, your daylily photos are so inspiring :)

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene, Thanks!

Marcy sorry to hear about the diagnosis on the CLL. . sounds like he has a great attitude. sending many prayers.
Bonnie. my aunt almost died from a drug she was taking , she is much better . Sending prayers for you and your sis. Glad to hear she is doing better.
Hi folks
just been busy and checking in to see everyone and how you all are doing.
we are busy with 4 H , trying to keep weeds out of the garden at record speed.
we had lots of rain !
take care everyone
sue

Sue, my DS is allergic to many meds, but the really bad reactions are from pain meds usually. They really make her confused and out of her head. The only true "fix" is to take her off the drugs and let her body rid itself of them. She is fine now. I told her in the future if she has surgery or any condition that really required pain meds, all she was getting was a rolled up wash cloth that she could bite down on or chew on for the pain!

I am posting a link to a news story this week in the Louisville area. DH's sister who had a stroke several years ago and is in a wheelchair most of the time was assaulted by her adopted son, who was supposed to be her "caretaker". He is on drugs and has been a problem all of his life, but non of the family ever thought it was so out of hand. It is the first story, titled "caregiver". Please pray for her and for the whole family. He has been arrested, jailed and charged with 5 or 6 felony charges, so it is safe to assume that he will be locked away for a good long while. http://search.wave3.com/default.aspx?ct=r&q=Robert+Hunt

Bonnie i m so sorry to hear of the news of DH sister oh that is just awful ! Thank goodness he got arrested. sendng you all prayers

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Sue!

Bonnie, I'm sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. Will pray for her recovery! That is just horrible!

Columbus, OH

Wow, Bonnie, that is terrible, I hope things are better for her very soon.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow...I'm away for a few days...and seem to miss lots!
First..thanks for all the concern and prayers for my son...it is much appreciated.
Bonnie, glad to hear your sis is back home..praying for her full recovery.!
And also glad to see hubby's sis will recover too. We just never know...do we??
My SIL came up over the weekend to help celebrate Dave's coming birthday...it's tomorrow...the 16th. He will be 74...hard to believe!
But he's still going strong! Works 3 afternoons a week at the store...gets all the local gossip...lol. Really ..he does! He says its much better than being a bartender!!!!!!!
And he does a lot around here for me also.
Anyway...was glad to see SIL...and she brought her famous Italian cream cake for Dave..his favorite. And being a home ec teacher..or whatever they are called nowadays...hers are always homemade..yum!
Well..we broke down and turned on the air yesterday. It has run nonstop for 24 hrs now...its not cooling properly...We had it recharged last yr..but guess its not holding a charge....wonderful.
It's supposed to be in the mid 90's all week here too.
But think we will have to shut it down soon...can u imagine the electric bill????????
Mercy!!! We are on level billing and are already close to 100. over!
Thank God for ceiling fans too...of course, they use electric too..but not like the AC.
Well..I best get moving here....Dave needs to go get license plates renewed.
Take care everyone..keep cool, and have a great week!!!
Oooo..last minute decision...pics...lol!
first is my artificial fire grate..next...new corner bed...that we blended into the long driveway border that was new last yr.
And that is the 3rd pic...well part of it.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1 Thumbnail by Marcy_1 Thumbnail by Marcy_1
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Marcy, Hope your DH has a great Birthday!
Your garden is nice. I really like your fire grate. That is a neat idea!
We took our son to Kings Island today. It was a hot one! We had a great time. Going out back to go fishing for a short time. Have a blessed evening!
Karen

Karen, so glad it was you at Kings Island than me! I think I went and took my son once, and it rained and hailed, and we had to ride home soaking wet and cold!

Chopped with a hoe in the daylily patch today. Guess the tilling of the ground really stirred up the weed seed and the rain just let the weeds almost take over, and this is a new bed. I am going to get the weeds out and put down preen so hope that will keep the weeds at bay until fall at least.

It was a scorcher here today. DH baled hay and found some help to get it loaded and to the barn. It is not unloaded yet, but the hardest part is over.

Marcy, love your pictures. A neat idea with that fire grate. You are so talented when it comes to doing unusual things.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, It was a scorcher today. Sorry your time at Kings Island went so bad. We have season passes this year. We did get soaking wet a few times but in this heat you dry out real fast. It's funner than walking the hills at the Zoo all day. My complaint with the place is prices for everything.
I'm having a time with weeds this year and I used preen. It's like they declared war and keep sending in backups to help out. I hope to win this war in the end.
My chippie has taken to eating my daylily blooms. He only eats the petals and sepals, he leaves the pistil and stamens in place. It looks so funny. He may have to be relocated if he's going to make that his diet. I have put up with him for 3 or 4 years now.
Hope you win your weed war. You just finished that bed. They must have been waiting on you to finish to move in. Be careful in this heat. It's awfully hot and muggy out there. I can take the heat it's the humidity that kills me.
Have to get to bed. Good luck with your weed war!
Karen

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok...AC is fixed..yayyy! Not sure how much that will be..but plenty im sure! He was in such a hurry to get on to next job..he said they will bill you!
He also said we may want to think about a new AC...lol. We kinda figured that!! Its 17 yrs old. Furnace is too..he will check that out in the fall....wonderful huh?
It does feel good to be able to get dry after a shower though...lol!
Weeds>>>>>>>>>>I have plenty Karen!! They have so gotten ahead of me this year too.
Thanks Bonnie..on the pics. I have to say..the grate was not my idea..I stole it from a magazine...lol! But I liked it!
Ok..I best get busy here...have a great day all!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Marcy, Glad to hear your AC if fixed! It is so hot and humid this week. I bought one of those Endura Cool towel's. It works great! I drape it over my head or around my neck and throw it in the wash machine at night.

Staying inside today and cleaning. I have been out the last 2 days and need a break. My dogs got a bath this morning. They are not happy with me at all. I'm going to give them a hair cut and brushing here in a minute. Pekingese are high maintenance dogs. Miss short haired dogs. They were my DH's dogs when we got together. That was 10 years ago and now they think they are my dogs and are spoiled rotten. They just don't like to take a bath or be brushed. Here is a pic of my fur balls. (pardon the fish tank cords I have that on my list for today)
I better get back to work. Here are a few pics from my garden. Pic 2 is my pond garden. Pic 3 is Crocodile Eyes first bloom just planted in May. Pic 4 is a pretty noid that bloomed today.
Hope everybody is careful in the heat. Have a blessed day!
Karen

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily

Back from the grocery, and it is a scorcher out there. I have inside work to do today, and the pool may get a visitor or two this afternoon!

great Pics Karen. cute furbabies
Marcy glad you got the AC fixed. bet it feels better in the house.
Bon's sorry to hear the battle with the weeds is still part of our daily gardens lives LOL :) my weeds are going gang busters ! How is DH doing in this heat ? glad he found some help
kids and i are busy with 4 H our fair is coming up aug 2-9.
im doing jams , jelles and other stuff. so i m going crazy canning ! wow.
did peach jam this week
one of our goats dragged austin down the driveway. he is ok. but that goat may get a little less treats from me.
got to run

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.