Round Up and Plant Swap at Jan23's in NJ on May 18th info

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Welcome all DG friends, I am hosting a Spring Plant Swap

WHEN:
Saturday May 18th starting around 11:00 till……
Lunch will be around 1:00. It will be a covered dish.
We set the 11:00 start time to try and give people time to get here but earlier arrivals are welcome and so are late comers.

WHERE:
Jan's house in Pennsville, NJ
I live right near the Delaware Memorial Bridge. We are right across the river from Wilmington, DE. About 30 miles south of Philly. About 60 miles north of Baltimore. When it
gets closer I will DG mail my address.
So please check the next post to be sure your name is on the list. So that I send you my
address.

WHO:
All DG & Cubits Subscribers their families and friends are invited.
Children of all ages included.

WHAT TO BRING:
Folding table or blanket and chairs to set up your swap area. We have a few extras but if you
have room please bring your own.

Something for the covered dish luncheon
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1307660/

Have / Want Lists
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1305619/

Swap thread for chatting and organizing your swaps and trades.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1305621/

Chat and swap part 2:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1307638/

You: Most important thing to bring is yourself. For those of you that have never been to a Swap you should know that you don’t have to bring plants to the swap to attend, you don’t
even have to bring plants to take some home. If you don’t have much in the way of plants or seeds to swap that doesn't matter. There are plenty of plants to go around Gardeners just love to share their Gardens. This is a great way for new gardeners to start off. These events are as much about just getting together as they are about trading plants.

This thread is for general info, organization, who is planning to attend, and for answering any
questions that might arise. Pretty much anything that is NOT food or plant related. Please
keep food and plant trades chat on those threads. I’m going to save a few spots at the top of this thread for my info, you are welcome to chat after that.

Please check the top posts of this thread for updates, more information, and links to additional
threads. Jan

This message was edited Apr 16, 2013 11:34 AM

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Saving this spot for those attending

So far:
Jan23 n Jeff n Patti(my friend that came to Holly's)
Holly n Ric
Coleup
UMDTerp
FlowAjen
Critterologist n
Aspenhill. Cheryl
Happy_macomb n Darryl
Chantell n Logan
SSgardener
RosesRRed n Bob
Gitagal
Marie_kap
Wind n Harry
Lovestopaint
Pixie62560
Greenthumb99 n ecnalg n Julie
One wish and friend
NisiNJ
Rubyw n John
Catbird423
AYankeeCat
nutsfordaylily
donnerville
coleuslover (surely hoping schedule works out)

If I have missed anyone please give me a shout. Hoping there will be more added. There is
still plenty of time.

This message was edited May 8, 2013 5:23 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I will be there with bells on.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Me, too.

Newspaper delivery should finish early enough to beat any "Reach the Beach" traffic across the Bay Bridge and then it's a favorite drive up 301 to your place. Hope some others from here abouts will consider this 'alternate route' How early can we arrive? Guess it's too soon to start packing my van, but I can get those cuttings and transplants attended to....Looks like that 'boundless energy' I have on my Want list is beginning with inspiration and anticipation of another great gathering!

Thanks so much Jan and Jeff, too, for hosting this!
Tell us a little about your place. Are you in the country or town?

Hope some of our Northeast Forum friends can come so we can all meet and mingle!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I'll be there.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

So exciting! You know I'll be there

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wheeeee! I've already got it on my calendar! I'm also going to try to have a "lily bulb sorting party" the Saturday before the swap (May 11).

I think Aspenhill (Terri) and I are planning to drive up together. Not sure if her friend Cheryl or Sunshine Girl (my daughter Joyanna) will join us...

Thanks for hosting, Jan!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'll be there but very late (as usual) -- for some reason, the spring swaps are always on the same day as my very very favorite sale, the Green Springs plant sale. So I'll probably arrive around 1pm or more likely 2pm (I'll go to the plant sale from 9am - 11am, then either drive directly to the swap or drive home first to empty and restock the car). Ssgardener might drive with me.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Woohoo!!! You can arrive anytime you want, coleup, I'll be here.

I do live in town, but it is on a partial deadend street, so not busy. Plenty of parking, methinks. Access to backyard either through driveway or from the street. Some large trees for shade(coleup has reserved a spot in the shade heehee). Of course the shade shifts, too. So, if you need shade and have a sunshade and have room bring it, otherwise we will make it work.

Pray for nice weather!!!!

Looking forward to a nice gathering mixing two regions. Good thing we all get along woot, woot!! I'll start a food thread when we get closer to the day.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jan, count me in..might bring nephew again (only if ok with you).

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I can't make it this Swap.
; ^(

Jan, I know we had a "date", but my daughter is in a wedding that day and we just have to declare it an emergency to see her in her glory with several very close friends having a wonderful time, and ourselves to attend this other happy event. I will miss you all! Just have to plan extra events this year.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Sally, You will really be missed.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell, I'm looking forward to seeing your nephew again! I hope the banana overwintered ok. I'm going to bring mine out of hibernation this week.

Sally, we're going to miss you, but I bet you'll have a wonderful time.

Like Happy said, I'm probably going to be late again this year.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Bob and I will be there, Jan. Such a highlight in our spring plans!! We'll bring a table, chairs and a tent.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Chantell, of course you can bring your nephew. I would never stand in the way of the younguns and their interests. Heehee. Anybody feel free to bring guests. The more the merrier!
I'll update the list periodically.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

You know you will be missed sallyG, but a wedding is a good excuse!! I'm sure DD will look radiant!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will be asking for that day off since you are not that far from me. I would love to come and see a Spring swap.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It won't be a proper swap without Sally! But we'll enjoy thinking of her & DD all dressed to the 9's.

For anybody around DC or further south who's thinking this swap is just too far away... I understand that no matter how "worth it" the trip would be, sometimes it's just not do-able... but I'd encourage you to consider hosting a "southern mid-atlantic" plant swap this spring. It doesn't have to be at your home, a nearby park would work as well. Just start a new thread and see who's interested or able to come on a particular date. Meanwhile, I'm thrilled that a more "northern" location will let me meet some folks I haven't seen in person before!

Hey, Sally! What are you doing the previous Saturday (day before mother's day)? Can you come to the pre-swap party for lily sorting, lunch, and whatever other mischief I can think of?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

( Um Jill ,...due to the new job- will have to see how that shakes out with my schedule- every other Saturday. Thanks, will let you know )

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Glad to hear it Marie_kap. Yep, I'm not too far away at all. Yippee!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I will be there---but gonna miss my Chauffeur--Sally. OHHH my!!!!

Robin--does this mean you won't be coming? Or--will you ride up with coleup?

Well--that leaves Paul. Would you like to carpool with me? I'll bring my Eazy Pass and pay all the tolls.
I do hate the thought of driving all alone--but it can be done. Space for plants may be an issue...
I always think I won't have too many plants--and then end up with my car full....

We will see.......Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Maybe Catbird/Robin will be able to come with you, Gita. We should be able to figure something out, since I think the best route from DC & Frederick is around Baltimore... Not sure if my car is full up yet or not, depends on whether Cheryl will be back from FL then.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita,

I'm sorry to say I will be staying up in NJ that weekend to visit a friend. I'll be by my lonesome but will have plenty of space if anybody needs to use it to fill up with plants.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh--I can drive myself--it is only an hour.... Not at all apprehensive about it.
Also--no restraints--in case the other person has to leave early--or wants to stay too late.
Just that it is more fun with company.Time flies when you are having fun yakking and all that....

I ALWAYS have to drive by myself--no matter where I have to go. The single life--you know....
Did not mean to sound insecure about it..... G.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Not at all. It is silly to take two vehicles when only one is needed.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Paul--You are posting---Does that mean the WS is out of the van?
Is it also in the ground???? How did that go?
Glad you are home safe.....:o)

You can save YOUR version of "The Dig Story" and the "After The Dig Story" after I post my
pictures and commentary. That way--it will seem more ---continuous.....

Decided to wait until tomorrow morning to post it. Need to chill a bit tonight.
Besides--my stories always end up being long ad filled with details.

CIAO....G

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm coming and can't wait to meet all of you!!!!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Wow Pixie that's fabulous. Hope it will be a real treat to come so many zones south. I've 'worried' about you now thru several big storms but still don't know where South China is in Maine!.. Will you be driving down?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes Coleup driving down and enjoy the warmth as I head south!
S.China is a little country town in Central Maine...we have tractors driving down the side of the road on a regular basis. ^_^

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Pat (ecnalg) and I are planning to attend.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm coming too. Jill and I will be carpooling.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Do we have anyone from around the Baltimore area that is going?

I can have room for one more person in my car. I live in Perry Hall--very near
to White Marsh Mall--2 miles off of I-95--Exit 67B.

Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita: If you want to drive up with Paul, I could give you a ride home.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Woot, woot, Maine is in the house!!!! Pixie, is Brian coming, too?

Green thumb and ecnalg also, woohoo!!

And aspenhill, it just gets better and better

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Quote from happy_macomb :
Gita: If you want to drive up with Paul, I could give you a ride home.

That would be fine by me.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy--
If you are offering--i will accept....I am SO close to I-95. 2 miles.
Besides--then you will get to see where I live. Should have some colors going on by mid-May.

Thanks, Paul---that would be fun. At least i can pay for the tolls going up for you....
Will let you know. Happy's plans can change--sometimes....

Did you see my accounting and pictures of the "Big Dig"? Iit is on the "Spring Time Plant Shopping" forum.

Now--please add your comments from the "other side"....I want to know--especially--how the planting went.
Also--did you have any problems getting the shrub out of the van?
I bet it looked all butchered--after your job with the loppers....;o(....sob...sob....
Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gita, we'll make sure you get home... It's usually less of a squeeze on the way back, so even if Cheryl & Terri & Joyanna all come, we can pop up a rumble seat or put the middle seat back in. There should be lots of folks coming around the Baltimore Beltway to get home. I think you can figure on getting a ride. :-)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita,

Of course I will add my two cents but I'll tell you what I got it out and in the ground in under 30 minutes.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, my goodness!!! Unbelievable! Paul--You are the MAN!!!!
How close to your house did you plant it? Close enough for a whiff--I hope.

Did you have a hole dug??/ I thought you said you did not....Is it standing up OK?

Don't forget to send me some pictures along the way...I like to keep track of "my Babies".....:o)

G.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--
It's OK....I may still end up driving myself....
Have to bring a small table and a chair--and whatever plants I will have.
Almost too much to impose on someone else. Even Paul.... I don't even know what kind of a car he drives...
Seemed to be an SUV (at sally's).

I am leaving it undecided--until I decide.....How's that? G.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.