Continuing on with this silliness. GMO.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I agree that it's a true contradiction in terms for someone to be so concerned about his health and the sources of his food and then smoke. I have a friend who is an environmental activist and also smokes, and I can never understand that.

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

I did a search for the word "smoke" to find out what the gossip is about. That's the extent of my listening to gossip. People who gossip have a problem with self esteem, and should work on becoming a happier and more loving person. GMO's, fatty foods, and laziness (letting others do all the physical work) will kill you before things like tobacco, car wrecks, etc. will. The wrong kind of food and lifestyle is just a slower death, but heart disease, diabetes, and many others are caused by food (if you want to call it food). Though I might not agree with someone's choices, I am not their judge. We're supposed to love each other, not make enemies of each other. We must look in the mirror before we blast others for their choices.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This message was edited May 19, 2013 7:46 AM

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

hi I am the king I rule this thread to stay open lol

This message was edited May 16, 2013 7:06 PM

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

I thought it was nancynurse who started the GMO discussion. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1299045/

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Solace Nancynurse can't hold a candle to Bernie.

Nancynurse started the original thread, but it got so lengthy that people asked that a new one be started so Bernie did so. Doesn't make it his thread, though. I just think people got tired of repeating their positions when the other side wasn't really listening. Some good stuff came out of it, though.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This message was edited May 19, 2013 7:47 AM

Bernie, just unwatch the thread if our chatting bothers you!

Vista, CA

Nancy's first thread expressed concern about roundup residuals, which i did not agree with, no mention of GMO, other than "roundup tolerant" and then the Don Quixote people that imagine GMO is a threat took it over as a platform for their cause.

I agree with Greenhouse that some good came out of it, we all expressed our opinions, no minds were changed, and the only thing we seemed to agree on was that it was time to let it die a natural death.

But those people that still have something to say, should be allowed to say it until they reach the point they are only talking to themselves.

Ernie

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Bernie is right GH you have no right to tell him to unwatch anything. Do you think you are the thread police? I don't remember voting for you.

Bernie is attempting to tell people that because he started this thread, which is just a continuation of Nancy's, he can decide when it's closed. That doesn't bother you but my suggesting that he can unwatch the thread if he doesn't want to see any more entries does? Oh well.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This message was edited May 19, 2013 7:48 AM

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

^_^ You all are hilarious! I have enjoyed our lengthy discussions and it is good to have a forum where we can all express ourselves on whatever topic that we chose. this has been quite lively at times, and will always give a nice balanced approach...eventually...

As far as smoking is concerned, lung cancer isn't the only damage that it can do. My mother died of emphysema and my father of heart disease which smoking made its contribution. Each one had died too soon as well as my grandfather. My sister-in-law finally quit when she had to go through chemo and radiation...what an awful thing to have to endure.

My sister and I had no interest in cigarettes whatsover. I used to close my bedroom door and open my window at times as I was smoked out of any common living areas...how can you tell your parents what to do? Still, it was the social norm at that time as most people smoked.

These days there is a lot more information about the subject, and the tobacco companies do not rule quite as much. Still, so many youth are lured into it...I really wonder what is the motivation??? Anyone here hold stocks in their portfolio on tobacco companies?

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

My understanding is that the person who starts the thread CAN close it. It has happened before. He said it's closed so I don't understand why that's such a big deal. There is nothing stopping anybody from starting another one. If you don't believe me ask Admin. Nancy hasn't been on this thread in a long time BUT since Bernie started it HE can close it. Just bc you don't know the DG rules, Bernie does, don't blame him. Just start another thread...

Zeesh, what an unfriendly bunch all of sudden! Bye!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

OK, Lisa, why don't we know when to quit...?? You are right. Whoever wants to start a new thread, or not...

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

I think Bernie is a she, or maybe I'm mistaken.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This message was edited May 19, 2013 7:49 AM

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

Sorry for the gender mistake, Bernie. I saw a photo once, you had posted, and thought it was you. Might have been your wife.

Vista, CA

Solace, i am glad he cleared that up for you. Country sounded to me like he would be a good neighbor, but he sure never sounded like he would be a good wife.

Ernie

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

My name is Ernie and I live with my one and only Bride Linda. We have been married 46 and a half years but whose counting. We have lived in this house 41 years and I don1't plan on moving.

We are retired and have a two acre yard that is inhabited by three Golden retrievers, three cats ,five pheasants, a green house bunny, And nine working girls that give us and our friends fresh eggs lol. Oh
poo I almost forgot the eight parakeets and the 3 cockatiels.

Bernie I have a fully insulated shop with heat. I gave most of my big tools that I had duplicates of to my son. I have lots of toys left. I am a wood worker, metal fabricator, welder, and machinist. Favorite project I built a 32 foot boat and a trailer to carry it, I commercially crab fished for five years with it.

That's enough about me how now about you?

Nice to see you weighing in again, Nancy. I was puzzled by Ernie's statement that "Nancy's first thread expressed concern about roundup residuals, which i did not agree with, no mention of GMO, other than 'roundup tolerant' and then the Don Quixote people that imagine GMO is a threat took it over as a platform for their cause." The title of your thread was actually "GMO'd Vegetable Seeds?"

I had heard about what's happening in India and wondered what the story was. Thanks for posting it.

Colorado County, TX(Zone 8b)

And these deaths are to be blamed on GMO. Give us a break. People have been committing suicide for years to 'escape' the results of their poor decisions in financial matters...

Google 'suicide stock market'

BTW, Prince Charles (like King George III) is mentally incompetent, although some prefer to say that he is just "misunderstood".

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I was going to comment but felt better of it. I will now leave this thread forever.

Also this Brazilian study regarding a link between GMOs and leukemia:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/350126

and here's the complete article in the Journal of Hematology and Thromboembolic Diseases:

http://esciencecentral.org/journals/JHTD/JHTD-1-104.php?aid=11822%3Faid%3D11822

This message was edited May 19, 2013 11:25 AM

Colorado County, TX(Zone 8b)

And yet there are still no actual facts to backup their research... Tell me GG, how EXACTLY Bt kills a targeted insect vs a non-targeted lab rat...

BTW, an you also explain to me the difference between “sugar” from a GM sugar beet and non-GM sugar beet (or any other source of sugar). Go ahead, give it a shot...

As you know, I personally have no concerns about the safety of GMOs or Round Up. I also support the right of people to make choices about what they eat and think we should provide them with the information they need to do so as long as they pay for it.

This message was edited May 19, 2013 11:39 AM

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I am a little confused since I am not a scientist at all. Where are these GMO toxins produced? in the corm kernel itself that we eat? Are they feeding these toxins to the mice after extracting them from the corn? Or does the plant produce toxins in the soil? or in itself but not the fruit or vegetable? Thanks for any clarification on this!

Gardadore, I'm not a scientist either. I was just impressed that this was a carefully conducted study published in a peer-reviewed journal indicating some problems with GMO foods. Several people on this thread have insisted that there's no science to back up the concerns expressed here, so I thought they might find the study of interest.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a scientific background but none of you has taken my posts seriously I thought you were all scientists considering you all appear to be experts on GMOs. I am not for GMOs in food I don't need to wait years for somebody to tell me it's bad for me. I believe that we tried that with Asbestos.

I don't appreciate being called unfriendly bc I told you what the rules are on DG, talk about shooting the messenger. No, Bernie is not a woman the pic was another DGer, not his wife. If you had read the post you would know this...I won't be back on this thread and ive seen many members true colors...me, me, me

Like Evelyn said "why don't we know when to quit? "

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I am out of here,

down with the Nurse Gang

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

The "Indian suicide" article, while very sad, was not about foods from GM crops being toxic, or potentially toxic, or having unproven, possible, hypothetical effects after decades of use.

It was about desperate, starving people committing suicide. Full of potent emotion, hardly mentioning the underlying facts. No relevance to "GMO dangers", Roundup toxicity or reasons for food labeling. It was very heavy on emotional tear-jerking, but EXTREMELY MISLEADING about the way it seemed to blame GMOs for the suicides.

I was surprised that the article didn't go into whether it was lies by Monsanto, governmental greed, government stupidity, or the farmers' not knowing that Bt corn has no boll weevil resistance.

The article spoke about cotton weevils devastating a crop ... AS IF it were the fault of GMOs ... as if the GM cotton had betrayed the farmers. That is like blaming an electric car for not curing your hair-loss. (I am assuming it was Bt-enhanced cotton.)

Bt does NOT control boll weevils. Never did (as far as a little research showed me.) I know nothing about farming and I found that out in about 3 minutes.

As they found in Mississippi before 2001, if you stop spraying with the things that DO control boll weevils, and don't use pheromone traps, you get a lot of boll weevils. Monsanto knows that, the Indian Ag department knows it.

If Monsanto or the Indian government claimed otherwise, they lied. That wouldn't surprise me, but then the tear-jerking articles should be about lying corporations and governments, not "the hazards of GMOs".

I'm not saying that every poverty-stricken Indian farmer needs to go to schools he can't afford, but the Indian government should have said something like "these seeds PLUS xyz controls will let you use fewer sprays".

And maybe Monsanto executives SHOULD be nailed to fences while we throw stones at them - I don't know enough to say, but they sure have made a lot of enemies. The POTENTIAL of their innovations is great, in reducing toxin usage and imprioving food production with less overt environmental impact, but the way they market reminds me of the Mafia.

None of the above has one iota of relevance to GMOs, other than the fact that Bt-crops REDUCED use of chemical insecticides so much that caterpillar-control sprays that USED TO control boll weevils are no longer used enough to control boll weevils as a side benefit, and you have to use pheromone traps or something else instead.

I seem to see a pattern (in cited articles, not what people are posting here) of using emotion and avoiding facts to enflame passions and create beliefs contrary to facts. If that's intentional by those authors and organizations, I don't respect that.

On the other hand, it may partly be the difference between psychological types. Some people are feeling-oriented and some are thinking-oriented. That's just an observation, not a value judgment EXCEPT for the fact that people of either type can seldom truly understand the other way. Not understanding it, they can 't appreciate it, and often look down on it or dismiss it as a valid point of views. Maybe some of these emotional articles that I think are deliberate, unprincipled, manipulative propaganda that hides facts in order to deceive people, are actually just emotion-focused people prin ting up what they feel is important and significant, and leaving out what I think are THE relevant facts because they just aren't that interested in technical details.

- - -

Wikipedia:
Genetically engineered Bt cotton is not protected from the boll weevil.[10]

This guy makes it sound like "everyone knows" that Bt doesn't control boll weevils at all.
The SUNY link below would agree, but it sounds more partisan, or at least more politicized.

"Boll weevil eradication effort"
May 18, 2001
Blake Layton Mississippi Extension entomologist | Delta Farm Press

http://deltafarmpress.com/boll-weevil-eradication-effort
"Historically, when growers applied caterpillar treatments to non-Bt fields they often used insecticides that also were active against boll weevils. This coincidental boll weevil control was a great supplement to boll weevil eradication programs that were conducted before the introduction of Bt cotton. However, Bt fields require fewer treatments for caterpillar pests and this means less coincidental control of boll weevils by grower applied sprays. "

http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/ee/geeta/Bt-Cotton.html

This message was edited May 20, 2013 8:16 PM

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Sorry it got so late and this is scattered. My one-paragraph summary of the "linked to leukemia and anemia" articvle is that it looks like a deliberate misrepresentation of a good scientific paper.

>> A new study shows that Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) toxins are linked to leukemia and anemia. Research shows toxic effects at the lowest dose tested.

My impression is that is wealse-worded deceit. Sorry, guy. The peer-reviewed article you cited did NOT say that or anything remotely like it. leukemia and anemia.are diseases, and the blood cell irregularites in mice dosed with near-lethal amounts of experimental microbial spores are so far removed from GM crops that it made me red in the face when I saw how big the misrepresentation was.

At first I typed "liar, liar, pants on fire", but I wnated to sound more adult than that. However, deliberatly misleading, in flamtory misleading sleaze probably merits getting down in mud with the auhtioor an d qanswering on his or her own level.

Who is E. Hector Corsi? Hmm, "a digital journalist". His or her list of articles seems focused on sensationalism. Going by this one article and how badlty it m isrepresented its source, unprincipled sensationalism .
http://www.digitaljournal.com/user/737203/news

we evaluated, in Swiss albino mice, the hematotoxicity and genotoxicity of four Bt spore-crystals genetically modified to express individually Cry1Aa, Cry1Ab, Cry1Ac or Cry2A, administered alone by gavage with a single dose of 27 mg/Kg, 136 mg/Kg or 270 mg/Kg,

The BACILLUS was genetically modified to produce one or another Cry protein, then the spores were forced into the mice's stomachs, NOT GM corn or cotton, rather concentrated Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) spores that have themselves been GMed to produce all one kind of toxin (not the "standard, traditional" Bt toxin, but rather something new, fourkinds of "Cry" toxins). .

Now, how realistic are the doses studied, if someone is going to misrepresent this paper and say "GM crops cause leukemia"? NOT realistic, and the real-science authors say that in the full text. The doses used and effects observed make a case for more studies on mechanisms and real-world toxicity. That's science.

The misquote tried to create the impression "GMOs cause leukemia". BZZZT, That's propaganda.

If the low dose of 27 mg/Kg was of the pure protein, and not 27 mg/Kg of the spore crystals, that might have been a HUGE amount of bacterial spores - but I don't know. I also don't know how much of the Cry toxins would actually be in the food products we eat IF they were added to the standard Bt toxins: probably zero in sugar or corn oil, but in an ear of corn? I don't know.

If they are using 1,000 times a reasonable concentration, that would be understandable because these guys are looking for POSSIBLE effects, which would make a cause for more research to clarify the mechanisms involved and to establish the toxicological risks ... i.e., study whether the hematotoxicity they were able to cause has an y real-world correlate,

But if they were using 100,000 times any reasonable real-world concentration, I would be skeptical and consider pretty contrived. After all, when you go to TOO high a concentration of something, you sometimes create unrealistic effects, like "water will kill you if you drink so much that your stomach explodes".

Hmm, they say:
The profile of observed cytotoxic effects of these Cry toxins can be related to their high concentrations and the exposure time. Such exposures at these high concentrations are not commonly found in the environment.

That's fair, and they admit in the full text that they are testing up to close to doses that will kill mice rather promptly. They are TRYING to create cell dmage so they give the mice as much as they can take and still live long enough to study. The authors of the online paper (open-access but allegedly peer-reviewed, and they certainly SOUND like reasonable scientists) aren't pushing an anti-GMO agenda, they're trying to get more studies funded to analyze the underlying mechanisms and EVENTUALLY determine what is safe in the real world.

(I hope they eventually determine how much of the toxicity comes from the spores themselves and how much from the Cry toxins! GM corn & cotton won't make spore crystals, on ly the toxins themselves.)

for genotoxicity analyses, micronucleus test was carried out in mice bone marrow cells

If I'm right, that's a tissue culture test ... maybe not, the full-text makes it sound more like "we looked at the cells under microscopes".

A significant reduction in bone marrow cell proliferation demonstrated cytotoxic but not genotoxic effects.

Now that's odd. They did the bone marrow test to detect genotoxicity and observed no genotoxic effects. But they DID find cytotoxic effects during the genotoxicity test.
>> For hematotoxicity evaluations, blood samples were drawn by cardiac puncture and processed in a multiple automated hematology analyzer;

. I don't know what hematology analyzers can detect today.

>> Spore-crystal administrations provoked selective hematotoxicity for the 3 exposure times, particularly for erythroid lineage

I'm going to have to go to the full-text article to address that, but I noticed these right off:

>> Among the viable alternatives for the replacement of these synthetic pesticides, entomopathogenic biological agents show potential for use in biological control programs and integrated production, because they leave few human side effects and have low impact on natural enemies and the environment [3,5,6].

They know the difference between "bad" insecticides and "probably less-bad" insecticides.

>> The primary threat to the effectiveness of long-term use of Bt toxins is the evolution of resistance by pests [21], and one of the strategies to delay the emergence of resistant pests is the combined use of Cry toxins that are effective for the same target species. The simultaneous expression of binary combinations of Cry toxins minimizes the chance of insect resistance to Bt-plants [22]. In addition to the binary combinations, advances in genetic engineering promise the expression of multiple Cry toxins in Bt-plants, known as gene pyramiding [23].

Oh, good! At least someone is thinking about the fact that all these issues will be irrelevant on ce bugs develop immunity. Well, the issues of food prices, starvation, and need for classic, "bad" insecticides would remain.

So this is not even about the traditional Bt toxin (gamma endotoxin, maybe?) , it is about a cluster of DIFFERENT toxins they are pyramiding in to the plant genome - a toxic cocktail. I'm very sympathetic to studying the effects of those new ones, and how much evolutionary experience we have with these Cry proteins!

This is where I lean towards the more alarmist side: now that we have "power tools" like GE, we do have to be careful to keep reins on our hubris and enthusiasm for "look what I can do now!" "Can", yes, but "should" takes more thought. An d there do need to be better control methods than the profit motive by itself.

I'll try to analyze the " selective hematotoxicity particularly for erythroid lineage" tomorrow if I have time.

>> In our previous experiments, exposures greater than 270 mg/Kg had caused signs of toxicity and death, so this concentration was considered the maximum tolerated.

Oh, they tested from 1/10th up to the promptly-lethal dosage? Well, sure they're going to see major cytotoxicity, DUHH!

>> The profile of observed cytotoxic effects of these Cry toxins can be related to their high concentrations and the exposure time. Such exposures at these high concentrations are not commonly found in the environment.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Rick. You cleared up a few things for me. That's why I asked my question. I wanted to know where the scientists were getting these "toxins" from that they were injecting into the mice. They obviously didn't feed them the corn or product that had been genetically modified! While I, too, am trying to make heads and tails of this GMO debate, I sometimes have a problem seeing the relationship of a particular test to the results of our eating the stuff. I've never had the time to look for tests that try to determine how the specific foods are affecting us. I'm sure they exist.

For the moment I try to eat as much as I can that is not genetically modified but that seems rather difficult in light of all the products made using grains that have been! Always food for thought! Sometimes I think that this topic is right up there with abortion and politics as one that should be avoided in debate unless one is willing to keep an open mind, a level head, and a civilized demeanor!! You are correct, Rick, that we need to separate emotion from true objective scientific research.

Vista, CA

I think all of us that have been interested in this subject owe Rick a big Thank You.

He is the only one in the group that has enough of a scientific background to research, understand, and explain many of the studies and claims, while keeping an open mind. Some of what he has explained are in contrast with his own personal beliefs, but he has shared those in an honest and forthright manner.

Proof of whether GMO is dangerous or not can only be ascertained over time. Perhaps it will be proven like I learned that Oleander leaves are deadly poisonous, when i fed my pet guinea pigs some as a small boy. Just as our ancestors learned not to eat Potato leaves, Rhubarb Leaves nor Castor bean plants, we will eventually learn the truth about GMO Soy beans. Until then, I hope Rick's analysis relieves some of the anxiety and fear that some people have.

Ernie

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Always food for thought!

Good one! That should be the thread title.

>> I sometimes have a problem seeing the relationship of a particular test to the results of our eating the stuff.

Yes! Most of science seems very remov ed from practicality, partly becuase the real world is very complicated and scie4nc e HAS to simplify before they get something repeatable that they can measure and analyze., LATER, with luck, someone can put it all together and form conc lusions.

>> I've never had the time to look for tests that try to determine how the specific foods are affecting us

In part because the effects (if any) ARE subtle and long term (if any). You don't make qa research reputation by feeding rats something for three generations and reporting "nothing much happened". And when something happens 0.01% of the time, what can you say? Unrleated flukes prob ably happen 0.1% of the time, so it's "lost in the noise".

If someone's philosophy is "we don't know, so we should fear anything new", , thaqt's what they do.
If someone's philosophy is "we don't know, so we should try anything that reduces use of NASTY 'cides", , thaqt's what they do.
If someone's philosophy is "we don't know, so we should use some caution while we incorporate it gradually", , thaqt's what they do.

>> For the moment I try to eat as much as I can that is not genetically modified but that seems rather difficult in light of all the products made using grains that have been!

My current plan is:
When the ingredients are oil or sugar - I don't care a bit.
Bt Grain? This year I don't worry a bit, but if we go crazy, adding every new toxin we can get our hands on to stay ahead of the bugs, then I will think twice or three times.
Roundup Ready? Thank God and Monsanto there are alternatives to 2,4,5-T and its organo-phosphate neuro-poisons! THERE's some TOXicity!
Gross excess of Roundup and other 'cides used, and unintended toxic by-products created during manufacturing? I wish we had a governement that beleived in fun ding inspectors and enforcing regulations instead of lobying, bugeling "Companies are People" and buying elections.

Where I indulge my superstitious fe4ar of thee new is eating gentically-modified whole-plants. I THINK the only one is sweet corn, like whole-ears. I think, if I happen to buy any ears of corn, I will ask whether it is or isn't GM, and then decide whether I want to worry or not. Odds are, not.

I worry more about double-washing apples from Mexico, which might use unregulated insecticdes that I AM afraid of, becuase they ARE toxic to humans.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> You are correct, Rick, that we need to separate emotion from true objective scientific research.

Thank you, but someitmes I'm som ehwat of two minds about that. I agree that we need to make the disticn tion, and know when someone is trying report fact6s accurately, and when they are venting feelings, or acitvely lying an d misrepresenting because they feel they have to convince others of soemthing where the don't have facts, or don't understand all the distinctions, or disbelieve anything thast doesn't suppor ttheir feelingds.

BUT

It's possible to be TOO reductionist. Science is so limited and narrow, that what it CAN measure is much less than the real world. You can't say "there IS no risk until science PROVES there is a risk". It's more like you have to weigh all the narrow studies and guess at what they would mean in the real world, if it were possible to measure and know everything.

I don't think we should make leaps of faith either way ("there is NO risk", or "GM gonna kill mommas and babies").. But we do live in the REAL world even if it is confusing and complex and unknowable in its full, detailed glory. We have to live and act on partial knowledge, reasonably ... either cautiously or adventurously or boldly according to our natures.

My own "concern" or interest in genetic engineering is more like "what hath agrobacterium mediated transformation wrought?" Will these crown gall plasmids promote ongoing transformation in plants as analogous things do in bacterium-to-bacterium DNA transfers? Seemingly not, and palnts ARE pretty different from bacteria.

BUT, speaking wildly and purely speculatively, MAYBE we've unleashed jumpin' genes left and right. Over the next few centuries, will that promote accelerated genetic drift among crop plants or weeds? If it does, will that be barely observable, measurable, neutral, beneficial, harmful or disasterous? My guess is "barely observable b ut very interesting".

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Ernie. I learned a lot while researching exactly how to state my opinions, and getting the facts as straight as I could. I appreciate your support, and the tim e of anyone who read more than 10% of those long, boring, complicated dissertations).

I personally think the risks of GE are more ecological than toxicological, but that's my speculative opinion.

And the bio-diversity harm that Monsanto does might be worse even than ther ecological damage and human health harm done in the past by the 'cides they are reducing uasge of. Again, opinion.

The fact that I blame that harm on lawyers and executives more than on genengineers is another feeling-based opinion. I like and trust engineers, but distrust lawyers and PR flacks.

>> Until then, I hope Rick's analysis relieves some of the anxiety and fear that some people have.

I think there is a defensible point of view or feeling that is cautious (or feaful) about new technologies, until they are PROVED safe. If indeed it is possible to DIS-prove a theory like "maybe in the long run something subtle will be found". Thalidomide babies could have been prevented by that feeling. But too much of that feeling might have prevented the polio vaccine, or all technological progress ever.

Studies that fail to show any immediate risk or very plausible near-term risk can't, and should not, reduce concerns or fears based on feelings and beliefs or intuitions. Those are not primarily ABOUT facts. (And they are bound to turn out to be right in some cases.)

More opinion:
Differtent psychological types are just different: not better or worse. Neither one can prove to the other type that the other is "wrong".
"Feeling" vs. "thinking" or "fear of new things" vs. "attacted to new things" are just poles of psychological spectra.
You can't rally say "we must be onjective about this", becuase others wsould say "we must be SUBjec tive about this!"
Who's right about that? I think I'm just as right as they think they are.
The shift has been away from faith and feeling for maybe 1200-1500 years, but that's just fashion and cultural bias.

Devil's Advocate Opinion:
Science and technology have a good track record for inventing some kinds of things and explaining some kinds of things, but that isn't the same thing as "wisdom". If you focus carefully on the negative, and cite over-population, pollution, climate change, loss of bio-diversity, plauges, wars and nuclear weapons, you could argue that technology, starting with agriculture, has had some major downsides!

People guided more by their feelings and beliefs than by analyzing a million alleged details will remain true to their natures ... and for many things, intuition works better than the AVAILABLE facts. Sometimes "who do you trust?" works better than reductionist analysis For example, try to play poker using only statistics, without pyschology! Whe you can't know it all, or PROVE much, you kind of have to rely on methods other than Newrtonmian logic.

Nerds like me are quick to be enchanted by anything new and science-fiction-y ... hopefully we read the fine print when Monsanto waves a press rfelease that claims "I have here in my hand 'scienitfic studies thaqt PROVE blahblahblah..." Fortunately there are scientific gorups of card-carrying hand-wringers that WILL read that fine print, and fund studies to debunk BS . Thier attempts to trumpet 'anti-estaqbvlishment' views work really well when there are any facts to debunk the blahblahblah.

I passionately want to stomp on lies and misrepresentation about science - that's my "feeling" motivation. I get hot when I see deliberate propaganda - at least, propaganda that lies about science. It is so easy to take a nerdy paper and make a sleazy, sensationlist claim from it, that it burns me up.

I'm almost as burned up by Monsanto saying "this is proveably 100% safe" when all they can really prove is that there are no detectable short-term effects with 3X, 15X or 50X any plausible dosage. Or that it's 500 times safer and ecological less damagingb than what we used to use! But I EXPECT a for-profit corporation to lie, but I expected ecologists and pro-health people to have more integrity. What can I say, I'm stupid that way.

>> Proof of whether GMO is dangerous or not can only be ascertained over time.

I would have agreed 100% if you had capitalized PROOF. But things you've said in the past are also tgrue, and very important. We not only have a totally obvious lack of body count or overt health damage so far. We also have a lot of reputable science pointing out "no immediate harm" and "less toxicity than most things" And also a LACK of any science showing plausible concerns by the usual standards of toxicology.

So you';re right that for long-term and subtle effects, "Proof ... can only be ascertained over time.", but you were also right dozens of pages ago to say that there is NOT YET proof that there IS any objective reasons to worry about short-term OR long term human toxiicity from Bt, glyphosphate or GM crops in general. .

So your position is MUCH stronger than "we have to wait for an un-arguable body count before we should worry". We COULD have fact-based worries as soon as there were plausible hints or preliminary or even mixed results. But (It seems to me) we don;'t have those either, for traditional Bt or RoundUp, or GM crops. *

Are there any fact-based hints, such as toxicologists use to screen for POTENTIAL real-world threats? I thought it was hugely revealing that when a biased sleaze-meister WANTED to bash GM Bt crops, he had to stoop to citing a study about something DIFFERENT. Three strikes against him even before you get to the muck-raking language:
- 1. - Cry toxins being considered for ADDITION TO Bt spore slurries.
- 2 - GM bacteria, not GM crop plants.
- 3 - Cry toxins, not Bt gamma endotoxin.

When someone who is partisan and willing to distort facts can't find any PLAUSIBLY RELEVANT facts to distort, I take that as pretty impressive evidence that he did not HAVE any plausible facts to distort. Once I thought about it, his puff-piece was the most re-assuring review of toxcicological literature I could imagine.

* (I'm not adressing the liklihood that someone with specific allergies could be more allergic to one thing than another. Of course there can be allergies. But an allergy that .1% of the population might have is NOT the same thing as convulsing on the ground from an organo-phosphate nerve poison,, or spraying that same thing from a crop-duster, which was a prime alternative to GM strategies for bio-control of insect-based crop damage!)

Vista, CA

Rick,
You brought up several good points of discussion, and some we agree on, and on some we come with totally different viewpoints. I could spend hours debating some of them with you, but I will only touch on the two most important ones. Fear and Truthfulness.

I do believe the old aphorism that "The Boy is the Father of the Man he Becomes." So, if a boy fibs and lies, he is most likely to continue that for the rest of his life, whether he becomes an Engineer, a Lawyer, a Scientist, a Farmer or something else. Just going to work for a Corporation or P R firm does not change the person he is. But, regardless of the field he works in, to achieve any worthwhile success he must earn the respect of others, either his clients, customers, or employers, so that is enough pressure to help keep the majority of people honest. So, i do not agree that some segments are more or less honest than others.

The other most important part of this discussion, in my opinion, is Fear, simply because it is fueling a movement that interferes with taking the RISK necessary to make progress.

We all suffer from fear. But to make progress, we must control it. As a young man, in 1942, I started operating heavy equipment in the mountains during the summers and roughnecking in the California Oil Fields in the Winters. This was long before OSHA, no safety rules were practiced, both were very dangerous jobs, and i spent many a day with a tight ass and a short breath, but taking that risk was necessary for me to move ahead and learn. And if our earliest ancestors had avoided all risk by cowering in their caves or staying up in the trees, we would not have progressed as far as we have. So, the Freedom to Take Risk, even if we are not sure it is totally safe, is the most important stone in the foundation of Progress.

So, of course, the Freedom that allows some people to take risks also provides others to choose not to use GMO products, and i have no objection or comment on that subject. But they should not use that freedom to stop Monsanto or anyone else from taking risks during the search and research necessary for progress.

Or so it seems to me,
Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.