Morning Gories Late Winter-Early Spring 2013

Pretoria, South Africa

A few more... I suspect the last photo of the previous post is the same as the first photo on this post, taken at different times of the day. Can't remember.... Luckily I tagged the plants, so will know when I harvest the seed.

Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

I want to show off some of my roses from the past season before the heat got to them...

They are:
Born-2-Care (don't know if they are available under that name in the USA). Not very fragrant, but a lovely compact flower that lasts ages in the vase, and dries quite beautifully.
A NOID I grew from a cutting. It flowered only once in Spring, but the bush is covered in these beautiful little flowers that the bees just adore, for about a month if not longer.
Sharifa Asma (one of the most fragrant roses in my garden). I just love this rose. I bought it when my son was diagnosed with asthma after months of non-stop coughing. I see it as a sign of new beginnings. (I was just so glad to know what was wrong with him after months of worrying.)
and Towering Rose Magic. This rose is one of those "must haves" according to me. The fragrance reminds me of Turkish Delight, and the flower shape is to die for.

Have a great day,
Elsa

Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Lovely blooms Elsa! Sorry to hear your sun makes everything stop blooming! Sounds like the hot Texas sun we get here. The past few summers we have had 110+ temps from about April to October. Not much blooms in those temps!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Helena, lovely blooms this morning. How nice to see Gray Haze, one of my favorites.

Elsa, beautiful MG blooms you had this summer. All beautiful and I love your Purple Blizzard types.

Your Roses are indeed to die for.!!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Debra keeping both you and your sis in my prayers always♥

Helena I love the BMN, great color!

Hi Elsa, good to see you posting. Your MG blooms are great and the roses are beautiful too!

Can't wait to get mine started. I have a few growing inside but they are just so slow, by the time I get flowers it will be warm enough to take them outside! I've got to get an earlier start next year for some winter blooms.

Gautier, MS

Thank you ladies. I just spend an hour or 2 repotting some of my seedlings. Ones that I could see had strong roots.

Elsa thank you for posting. Your blooms were beautiful and I love your roses too. Same here when it gets too hot flowers wilt and the roses take a long rest. Hope your son is better with treatments.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Helena your gray haze is beautiful, and I will always love SOH.
Elsa, please tell me how you started a rose from a cutting? I have tried and tried. Your mauve splash is to die for, and all the others are equally excellant.

Sister called today crying because they would not give her chemo, and in her mind, one week without chemo means her cancer will spread, and I am helpless in making her feel better. I tried to tell her fear is the worst thing for making cnacer spread, and she said everything makes cancer spread.
her white blood cells are negative. now she has to becareful and not get sick, she was a few counts away from a transfusion and her plaetlets are so low if she cuts herself she wil bleed to death she said. I can't stand what she is going thru, it is killing me to watch her suffer. I asked her if she had more good days than bad days, and she admitted she does, so one day at a time until the end we agreed.

I have missed taking pics of all my winter blooms for a whole week, even the moonflower had a wilted bloom this am.. dang it.
We are freezing tomorrow night thru the weekend so am going to be be throwing sheets over the hiyacynths, daffs and tulips all budded out. Hubby is worried about them, I thought they would be fine even under snow for some reason.. hmmm..

Got my pump and hose hooked up for the washer so now it is a lot easier to catch the washer water before it goes down the drain.
yippee!! this year water rates double. we are still in a "drought" but I think they should have started worrying about three years ago instead of just now. All the home owners asscociations require green lawns, so those peeps in their nice new homes are going to pay for that . NOT ME>!
Next, Joe and I are going to replace all our light bulbs with leds, one bulb a week. We are trying to get ready for "retirement" HAHA
this is from august 2011 I sent it out tagged as purple splash, if anyone still has those seeds from the swap..

Thumbnail by joeswife

So sorry to hear about your Sister. Please know we pray for her daily!

Debra, I saw this on facebook, for rooting roses, in a potato. Scroll to the bottom of page.

http://www.amateurgardening.com/home/taking-rose-cuttings/

http://www.ehow.com/how_7636940_propagate-roses-using-potatoes.html

Here is another site that explains it a bit better.

I don't know what to do if the potato starts growing? I imagine I would pinch off the growth of the potato plant?

Oh my.. great links, LK, thanks so much!

Gautier, MS

Beautiful bloom Debra. Keeping your sis and you in prayers.

Thanks for those links Linda, I've had some success with rooting rose cuttings from time to time. But I also tried the seeds from rose hips, most require a
t least six weeks of winter. Check out the last pic of my baby Heritige rose, if it comes true remains to be seen.Of coarse it might take awhile for it to bloom.

Blooms from today outside in this cool morning.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Love those morning glories! Sure hope your rose does good for you!

Debra, so sorry about your sweet sister. I know this is taking a horrible toll on you too.
I'm going to see if I have Purple Splash seeds from you. What a beauty.

Beautiful blooms Helena. I am amazed by your rooted baby Rose. I can't root them. ;-(

This message was edited Mar 21, 2013 12:33 AM

Thumbnail by patootie

Thanks Jackie.. I love all the blooms posted here, especially since winter is not gone all the way..
all my hiyacynths are budded up out front, I covered them with leaves so they wouldn't get freeze burn..
if I could blanket the whole yard I would.

As soon as I get batteries, I am going to take pics of some things my sister sent to me to sell, all of our mothers old baby shoes, can you believe she still had them? There is a pair that are made in alaska in fur and beads. Very cool. ( My mother was raised as a child in the Alaska mountain area)
Anyway, I went down this am to find the whole room a bloom in Charlies room, all kinds of colors, SOH, Rebecca, Blue with pink center, mauve with white edges, JL, Blue Lav from Ronnie, and a pretty white striped pink blocked i nil, I have no batteries atm, dang it. Great big blooms on the hibiscus, even the iochroma and jasmine is blooming. It was up lifting anyway.
I am going to try rooting the roses when I cut them this spring, especially My Angel and the wild dark red mini roses that climb out front in the honey suckle, I am going to try the potatoe method. Thanks LK, I can't wait to try another experiment.

I sent these seeds out in the swap also.. anyone save any? They were tagged large red with white edge.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Would love to see those old shoes!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Looking forward to your pics Debra!

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Jackie and Debra. I do have a seedling growing of your large pink-red bloom Debra. Hope it turns out like yours, that purple splash is also very nice.

Took a picture of my seedling from Karen2005 Speckled blush mix. You can see the light brown specks going up the stem. The color of the bloom could be pink, light blue, purple or dark blue. Won't know for sure until it blooms.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Beautiful bloom Debra. Pretty, showy color.
Anxious to see your bloom color Helena. :-)

Gautier, MS

Me too Jackie. If it keeps warming up they'll be taking off in no time. Still have too many to repot.

Cold here today Helena. Wish we could have your warmer temps. :-)
Norton has found a problem with my new computer. Looks like I'll have to return it.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Cold here too :( supposed to last at least another week...boo hoo cmom spring!

Helena your blooms warm me up, so envious but keep them coming!

That stinks Jackie, will they replace it?

Ronnie, I bought the 89.95 warranty from HP so I think they best replace it for me. Its something in the printed log files
whatever that is.. The error shows back to the day I bought it and all the way back to Sept 2012, I guess the manufacture date. It had been acting like a 10 yr old computer, slow to go back or open the page. Going into sleep mode each time. I just knew I had a virus but the tech said no.

Pretoria, South Africa

Debra,

I find that the best time to take cuttings is late Autumn. They must be more or less the thickness of pencil, with no buds on them, and I'd say a foot long. Take all the leaves off to prevent unnecessary stress on the cutting. Use your garden spade and make a "slit" into the ground about the depth of the spade. If you have clay soil be sure to add some grit to the bottom of the slit to help with drainage. "Plant" your cuttings, firm them down nicely and water. Leave them for a year before planting out.

I was just wondering while writing, if it wouldn't be too cold for you to do them in Autumn. (I hardly ever get temperatures below freezing in Winter) Maybe semi-hardwood would be better towards the middle of Summer? Then at least they have time to establish roots before the cold...

E

Gautier, MS

The temps are not too bad right now, sun trying to come out. I've been putting a lot of my salvia red coccineas into the ground and I see my male hummingbird is going to them. These morning glories are the only ones that bloomed today. Not real pretty but glad they bloomed anyway, that faded bloom on the left of first pic nay be the gray one from yesterday.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

thanks Jackie, I thought the one u posted before me looked similar, and that stinks about your putor.. hope u get it fixed real fast , don't think I can go very long without seeing here on DG
Elsa, thanks for the tips, I am going to try three methods and see which one works best for me. tearing down the west wall vines on wall in charlies room, will let the seed pods contiue to ripen in the water tub, have to get the paneling pulled off for the cracks in that corner fixed in May, just wanted to get ready early.
snowing here right now, I am still in my jams, gardening downstairs .
Helena I am glad you are posting blooms. Happy Spring with snow day LOL
( I am going to have to get dressed at some point for the trip to wally world for gardening stuff and the sat night date me and Joe go on every weekend.)

Enjoy your date night Debra!

Debra, I thought our blooms looked similar too. Mine is supposed to be one of the Sunrise Mixed Japanese MG's.
So nice that you and Joe still have date nights
Ronnie, HP is giving me a hard time, the run around. 600.00 for a new computer that doesn't even come on when I turn it on 2 out of 3 times.
Shaking my head.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, hope you can have your puter problem fixed.

Debra, is having snow this late in the season kind of out of the norm? Our weather is warmed up that I'm getting ready to start getting some of my plants into the ground. I have some of the mg outside already. If we get bad weather I can still put them back in gh.

Black King is the only bloom for today. In a day or two I'll have another new bloom ready I think.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

That is a beautiful Black King....
We ususally get our March last blast snow about now.. I was ready for it. Everything is blanketed in about 4 to 6 inches, and is sunnny and will start melting soon. Our planting time for outside is ususallly about second week of April to start moving cold hardy tropicals and planting prennials outside. I am still debating on whether to keep Jungle downstairs going with a high electric bill, or take it all outised with a triple water bill. I might pick and choose who is to go outside besides the glories. I transplanted a ton of plants last night and re-arranged Charlies room with a new high output sunlight, still trying to get the north west corner clear so we can fix what ever is behind the paneling there..
These pics are charlies room from last year

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Love the BK Helena! Wish it was a bit warmer here, not to bad but cold enough that where there is shade it's still frozen.

Debra the bloom in your first pic is so pretty!

Lovely dark Black King Helena. I envy you your warmer weather.

Beautiful blue and white bloom Debra.

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies. I chickened out before it got dark and put a lot of my tender salvias and plants I didn't want to lose after the weather people saying it was going to get around 36, probably in the forties for me during the night. No blooms this morning that I can see. The plants outside did just fine.

Love your blue and white bloom too Debra.

ok time for a laff..... someone told me my inside Jungle areas needed CO2 gas, sooooo.... I mixed up 4 plastic water bottles of sugar , yeast and water, poked pin holes in the caps with push pins, left in, and set them in charlies room on the middle stand, forgot about them while I went back up and played on putor..

about a couple hours later after Joe went to sleep, I hear this loud bang and sounds of breaking stuff, jumped up immediately to run down and see what "fell over" well, not one but two of those forgotten bottles had exploded and in the process jetted right into some pots of soil and plants, KNOCKED them off and they fell and broke, the bottles had went up and down and jetted across the room spraying everything with that wet mixture.
*whew* I think everything in there got their yearly supply of CO2 in one instant. LOL
I just love experiments, don't you?
Now, the other two bottles are in the outer rooms, without caps on, I learned to shake them and then release the gas near the foilage with my thumb, smells like a bakery down there. Never did find the original pushpins, yet...
Then, it dawned on me... I smoke, and cig smoke has CO2, so I am thinking that is why everything blooms and sets fruit and stuff, I walk around when I smoke down there, they love it. I just had to speriment, tho. Wish you could see the pepper shrubs and hibiscus, they were fully loaded this am with big huge blooms. Inside. downstairs. Waiting for the calico vine buds and the passion vine buds to appear.
Sister called me and said she feels better today, and she hopes she can start her chemo tommorrow. I hope so , too, then she will quit worrying about the spreading of it. I personally think her worrying is making her sicker than the cancer.
In the 20's tonight.. we are all tucked in snug as bugs in a rug..

Oh Debra, sorry to hear about your experiment going wrong! I can see those bottles jetting all over the place! Post pictures of your blooms please?
Glad to hear the good report on your Sister.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

That's funny Debra! Glad there was no major damage, could have been messy with all the elctricity and lights!

Happy Birthday Patootie/Jackie! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by taters55
Gautier, MS

Happy Birthday Jackie! Hope you have a great day :-)

Pretoria, South Africa

Happy Birthday Jackie!

Thanks girls for the birthday wishes. Just glad to have made it another yr. :-)
Funny story Deb but glad you weren't hurt. Very happy to hear that Dear sister feels much better. Lets
keep up the prayers

This might be Pink Porcelain, yr before last

Thumbnail by patootie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.