Did March 'come in like a lion' at your house?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 80 votes:

Yes indeed, it roared in!
(45 votes, 56%)
Red dot

No, the first of March came in like a lamb.
(35 votes, 43%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'm first??!!

Winds gusting between 25-35 mph. Very blustery...tomato plants under perforated plastic sheeting to protect against wind damage.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

No vote. I don't remember back that far...was probably raining or gray. It's sunny today.

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

The wind has been unrelenting on the mid-Texas coast for several months. I don't mind a zephyr but the hurricane force every day is wearing me down (and wearing out my plants on my porch)!!!!!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

30 mile an hour winds all weekend and 32 this morning.....the lion in march, definitely.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

My azaleas look bedraggled and everything on my back porch has blown off at one time or another since the wind started. Im having to water a lot more often as well

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Glad at least one other person had my answer, which is basically "Ummmmmm, I don't remember!"

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

We in Texas remember because it is still happening!!!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

still pretty strong gust here but is typical for us for the month of March

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Cool/cold but fairly calm the first three days. Today it's 50°, sunny and beautiful.

NE, SD(Zone 4b)

March 1 was a balmy 26 degrees with no wind, in like a lamb!

Today another 4" of snow on top the existing 15" of snow and winds 20-30 mph tomorrow. Think spring.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Still cold but above freezing during the day so March rolled in like a Lamb. A few days earlier...well, it would have been a lion with the winter storm we got.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It came with rain sleet and snow, followed by would be winter storms , still happening with 34 degrees and rain as type this , and the weather is deciding if it wants to freeze or snow!!!
Lion ,,,from here

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ditto on juhur7.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from bonehead :
No vote. I don't remember back that far...was probably raining or gray. It's sunny today.

LOL Bonehead! No vote ~ no comment here. It has changed from frosty to sweltering, sunny to cloudy all in a span of a couple of days. Scared to ask what is next...

Talihina, OK

The first three days were cold and breezy not bone chilling cold but cold enough to discourage me from working outside very much ..Yesterday was just about perfect with a high of 73° and sunny skies alas today is looking yucky wind blew all night along with a little rain...

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Breezy and warm, but the 2nd was WINDY as all get out. Last few days have been balmy and in the 70's - low 80's, but rain and 67 by Friday.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, like frogy says, it's been nice ... and now I hope or rain soon!

(Zone 7a)

Tiny pussy cat here.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Lion in the grand scheme- cold spell, lots of clouds and tonight are predicting our first snow of more than an inch all this winter- six to ten actually called for!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

7 to 10 snow here and about heavy rainy snow falling now and tomorrow , so it is still growling if not roaring in.
I really look forward to that 57 degrees forecast for this weekend !!!oh yeah!!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Can't remember either.

But it's forecast to come in like a Polar Bear at the start of next week :-(

Resin

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

It was cold and now it's cold with very gusty high winds. I won't say a Lion, but definitely not a lamb!
Barb

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Yes, It is an onslaught of redspidermites which is very hard to control as we have hot dry weather here in Melbourne Australia, been using many products and losing a losing battle i may just have to cut every thing back to the ground and start again in spring

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Wait a minute! Didn't anyone else get that huge snowstorm? We had three feet of snow on our driveway and sidewalks, because of the drifting. The winds had been gusting up to 37 mph. It took me 3 1/2 hours to shovel 1/2 of the driveway, the sidewalk, and the enormous pile of snow at the end of the driveway after the plow came by. My husband was out of town, and I couldn't figure out how to run the snowblower (I guess I was supposed to start it with the choke on). The neighbor came over that night, and cleared the rest of the driveway with his snowblower. Yeah for good neighbors.
We just had another snowstorm dumped on us on Tuesday! The poor mailman can hardly get to our mailbox, it's almost burried. I am soooooo done with this winter. Someone said we are supposed to get another storm on Monday. We better go out like a lamb!!

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's the mailbox (what you can see of it)!

Thumbnail by busy_gardener
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I remember our mailbox looking like that growing up in upstate NY, just north of Albany.
Not anymore! Now I just have to deal with hurricanes. ;)
Barb

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

That's an awesome pic busy_gardener. Your soil should be good and moist after all of that stuff melts.

(Edited my grammar.)

This message was edited Mar 8, 2013 4:25 AM

Wow busy gardener!

Here in Maryland, that storm was kept at bay by warmth from Chesapeake Bay. Most things were 'closed Wednesday, but the counties just inland from the Bay only saw rain. I love a good snow day once or couple times a year, but to have a snow day thats cold gloomy rain was a bit disappointing!

Mount Vernon, KY

I am like busy gardener!!!!
What do you all mean it did not come in like a lion!

The first day of March was like a spring snow - it was cold -- it flurried all day long -- all the fields turned white -- it melted - the skies would become a dark steel blue and then it flurried again about an inch -- It was kind of a magic like atmosphere --and it was okay -- it was like a spring snow -- and then it started raining.

It rained and rained and rained, the cows were soaked, the dog was soaked, the chickens stood under their house and looked totally dismal and then the temp dropped way down low, the wind blew like everything. The dog demanded to be let in and to dry from the rain -- an outside dog that never demands to come in. The snow came like a winter blast from deep January and the next day snow devils danced across the fields - swirling up the three inch snow we had.

Wisconsin may not have been able to find the mail box, --- but three inches is a good size snow around here.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Very much like a kitten. =~(

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

March tiptoed in and once here started roaring...night time temps went from mid 50's to 28 for a couple nights....back up and then down again...all the tender new growth got zapped. It is raining today....and we are about 20 inches ahead in rainfall for the year. But at least the rain is settling the pine and oak pollen.....

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Yeah, busy gardner, you sent that snow east to us near the lake!! We got more snow in March that we got all winter. and it just wouldn't stop. Now we've had some rain and it's melting but for a while there we thought we were at the beginning of winter, not the end.

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

25 to 30 MPH winds with 60+ mph gusts. Definitely came in like a lion. And it's still blowing! Maybe not quite as hard, but plenty hard enough.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It is still growling here also, lots of wind and snow ..

Mount Vernon, KY

Destipin and THE MOON WILL HOWL:

You are are are acting really snotty about your spring- and it is best -- to keep your cheerful happy, joy, joy of spring to ya selves.

I have a hen that has hatch herself out three chicks last week the first of March in a snow storm. -- I had her in my metal building. It finally warmed up this weekend and I took her and the babes out to her little house all fenced off from the other chickens. I look out this morning with my steaming cup of coffee and there she is sitting on the ground outside the little chicken house trying to keep those chicks warm. The wind is tearing at her feathers, the snow flakes dancing in the wind (IN THE MIDDLE OF MARCH) . What is in her little house -- another hen -- jumped the fence I guess. But I went out and put her in a bucket with a lid on it -- she had time to yell at the chick to scatter -- and hide. I watched 'em all in that cold scatter and knew I had minutes before they all froze to death. I got 'em all -- because I watched where they all went.. One went out of the chicken pen through the l inch wire to hide in the straw in the blueberries. I would have never found it in time if I and not watched.

THey are all now tucked back into the metal building -- This is not the weather I am use to in the Kentucky in March.

Poor chickeis, poor Liquidamber..you all need hugs

Still growling here, when the clouds and rain let up , it is only so the chill wind can blow through!!! brrr!

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I am so sorry Liquidambar.....my natural exuberance at sunshine just took over and before I knew it, I was ecstatic. I will work to control that until you and the bebe chicks can all enjoy it too. (Howling vewy vewy kwietly) GRIN

Mount Vernon, KY

Sallyg says it is still growling at her place. That is better! Yes, I feel loads better.

The Moon Howl -- That is better -- you need to be more humble about your spring.

Right now it looks beautiful outside. The sun is showing, the sky is bright -- step outside the door and the north wind will cut you like a knife.

My husband is a weather buff -- he was looking on the internet and informed us all that last year was the warmest March on record. Then in May there came a freeze and ruined my blackberry and strawberry crop -- and I think killed a lot of Monarch butterflies -- the Mexicans said their numbers that migrated there were really low.

This year my hubby says it is the coldest March on record. I believe it!

Sally G I do need a hug and I will take it.

(((LA)))
This wait for better weather has a lot of us antsy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.