Entertainment #13

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Rosemary, we watched "Stone" tonight, yes very interesting, and what great acting! Glad you mentioned it.

We have the disc for Life of Pi for the weekend. I have read the book.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Sally I think you will like Life of Pi.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Well, Jeff didn't make it through last night. Bummer! But, what an adventure! He certainly got national exposure, too. Looking forward to more from him. Thanks for yur support.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Watched Sleepy Hollow last night. Very good. Burton/Depp always seems to work. Saw Dark Shadows recently. Also very good.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I've ordered Sally's recommendations from the library. Was having an existential evening, so we watched the movie version of Proust Remembrance of things Past about the artistic life of the mind in borguousie France early 19th century. Made me glad to be alive today and where I am.

I do like those 'glad to be alive, here, now," kind of things!

We both liked Life of Pi and the intended theme of the book was clearer to me from the movie than the book, but maybe because I had a head's up about it because the movie came second to me. Pi is a very "visually pretty and interesting" movie.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Pi was good - saw djanjo last night - worth a view not great

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have Lincoln from Netflix.
The ads indicated it was a great movie and I was eager to view.HO-HUM
guess I am not THAT into history or his presidency that much. OR Speilberg just includes soooo much I get lost in the story.
I still need to view the rest . I can tell when its a bore,I fast forward a lot.

My review,dont break your neck or wallet to see this.

Thanks!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Actually the last half was pretty compelling.The awards werent misplaced

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

we liked Lincoln here - glad it got better for you

Watched Hobbit last night. Very good.

Wow. Turn up your speakers.

http://m.wimp.com/kidssing/

DH is sleeping , can't!

ah that was very nice even on low.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Beautiful voices!!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Great voices!!!
This is one of my favorites for kids harmonizing.
The Cactus Cuties sing Godspeed (Sweet Dreams). It was a special request from a vice president of Atlantic Records who saw the Cuties sing at a Houston Texans National Football League

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czmHZAyAVUI

Watched both Snow White and the Huntsman and The Raven this weekend. Liked both.

My bookseller friend bought me a Daniel Silva thriller to read. I have been terrible about reading anything other than instructional stuff for a long time. I promised I would read The English Assasin. I did and am really glad I did. Spy/thriller type stuff, but very good. Moves fast, which I like. Will now read others in the series.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am with you on the fast moving reads.I just cant get into the trudging thru anything.I started some detective books by Josephine Tey.She was popular in the 30's and I just couldnt get with the pace.
I am not much of a reader anyway.
The fast paced book series I liked were Anita Shreve's books.The Pilots Wife and The Weight of Water plus a few others.These are mostly chik books but not cheap romance.

Are you, or is anyone, into audio books? Never tried that option?

watched Chicago for the first time and really enjoyed it, both DH and I. Even though he does not like RIchard Gere.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I used to listen to books when I did visiting nursing, it slowed me down.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Follet has a new trilogy out that is very good

Slowed down your driving, or nursing, Deb? ;)

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

driving!

What is everyone reading?? What type of reading do you like?

Would you like to try a Whatcha reading thread?
I don't keep up with current fiction very well, but glad to hear your review of Silva for my husband. I am reading Child of my Heart by Anne McDermott. I did Not like her Charming Billy book, but I did like her book about the married couple,..title escapes me. Not current.
Anita Shreve, liked Pilots Wife, and Sea Glass, and Light on Snow. Not crazy about some of her others.

I think it qualifies as entertainment and would probably die out as a standalone thread. So you prefer on-fiction, Sally. That's what they're pushing in school now.

On fiction, or non fiction
; ^)
Well I got sick of schools pushing fiction as if that's the only kind of reading you could do to teach you to read. Show me a teenage boy who enjoys Scarlet Letter. UGH.
Yes lately it seems I go non fiction. Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. by Rebecca Skloot.
Killing Kennedy by O'Reilly.
Bill Bryson is a favorite author . Walk in the Woods, Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.
Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild and Into Thin Air. ITA, now that's a gripping book, IMHO.
Mary Roach, Spook, Stiff, and Packing for Mars
Read 'NIght by Elie Wiesel, then did it audio with 15yo son.

The idea is that non-fiction better prepares them for the 'real world.' I am not sold on that. As an engineer, I see the premise. However, speaking for myself, I think fiction inspires the more creative, 'out of the box' thinking that is so important. I value them both and am glad I was exposed to both.

Life of Pi was a recent reading list book here that was very creative and interesting.
The Art of Racing in the Rain was excellent but so sad in parts.
I like fiction in foreign settings. Kite RUnner, THousand Splendid Suns,
Oh! "Cutting for Stone' by Abraham Verghese was EXCELLENT. I think equally good for male and female readers. I recommend that one.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Loved The Art of Racing in the Rain, Kite Runner, and A Thousand Splendid Suns!
I saw the movie but would still like to read Life of Pi....
Dean Koontz and Steven King are always good reads.
Water for Elephants was real good too.

I liked Water....also. I just read it last year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I was strung along with Anitas series.Clever twist to set the tales in tha same local but stories at different times in history.By the time SandGlass came out it didnt have the intrigue the first few books did I thought.

I had no idea SeaGlass (sorry) was part of a series.! I thought Seaglass was very interesting and liked the historical aspect. It set four different sets of characters up in the first few chapters, unrelated, and later their lives became connected.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've been picking up books at library sales for 50¢ or $1
I like James Patterson, Ted Dekker, Patricia Cornwell and Sue Grafton

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The first novel I read was The Weight of Water,then The Pilots Wife alsomade into a TV movie,
All her novels take place in the same area but at different times in history.
Here is a bio.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Shreve

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Jen d-mail me a list of James Patterson that you have read...I think I still have several and can bring them next weekend. :)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Cool, OK!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.