February weather - only six weeks of winter left!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Currently around 31 and it feels like it. The cold cuts right thru you today.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sorry Sunkissed if it makes it all the way down there...I know you tropical folks really don't want it!

I was however hoping it would make it down to some of the Great Plains states and run into some moisture along the way. Cool temps means any moisture would soak into the ground instead of evaporating right away. I know some fellows in Texas, at a weather site I belong to, are praying for rain and below normal temps (really any moisture at all to break the drought there). I personally would love the States ie South Dakota and those below to get one heck of a good rain and then snowfall so they climb out of extreme drought. If they don't they will fry this summer and my province will either have really dangerous tornadoes again or else eventually join them in drought.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It's cold here this morning - 45 - tonight, we will be in the freezer!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

23 /15 for today and tonight ,sunny ,and cold ..light breeze....

High 30s for high and sunny all day.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It is snowing here again , temperatures are averaging 10 degrees below normal .. Winter can leave now please , any time at all ...lol
Roads are covered and it is just enough to make everything messy .. oh fun...

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

33 degrees here on the beach at 5:30 a.m.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

This will depress you Kay Jones ;D
Moose Jaw, SK
Current Weather 12:25 CST
Light snow

32°F There will however be one heck of a drop coming up again (that I'm sure we will be sharing).

Light snow

Blowing Snow Warning

Snow and blowing snow this afternoon and evening

Feels Like : 21
Wind : NW 16 m/h

Humidity : 95%
Pressure : 1003 mb
Visibility : 1.7 miles

Sunrise : 8:09
Sunset : 18:24
Ceiling : 600 ft

Current snow pack http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2013/02/12/sk-runoff-prediction-1302.html We will be either growing wild rice or corn if this keeps up.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 4:02 PM

Reached mid 50s for high today but Weds night we have a winter storm coming in that will bring sleet, freezing rain and snow. Tomorrow we are supposed to get rain.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Loading up on more cold and snow.......hope peeps in Minot, North Dakota built their houses on stilts after the flooding last year. Though our greatest snowpack is further North this winter so it might just be Manitoba and some areas here that suffers this time round.

Moose Jaw, SK
Current Weather 9:05 CST
Light snow
3°F
Feels Like : -15
Wind : N 12 m/h

Humidity : 74%
Pressure : 1028 mb
Visibility : 5 miles

Sunrise : 8:07
Sunset : 18:25
Ceiling : 1900 ft

This message was edited Feb 18, 2013 9:59 AM

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

32° a good 3 hours here, long enough to do some damage to the garden. Zipped up fast, by 9:30 it was already 50°.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

55/28 ,Wind is shaking the house , partly sunny, clear , the day that was.

Not sure what high was but it was early this morning I know that much. It has slowly gotten colder as day went on with temps around 34, very windy and wet from earlier rains.

Witch hazel blooms

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

White outs in western MN. Some roads closed.
Nothing here just big wind & cold. 5º.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Our overnight temps

-20 °F
Feels Like -42

In the morning
-13F
Feels Like -35

Tomorrow afternoon a heat wave
-4F
Feels Like -27

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I will say that is cold!!!!! It is in the 30's sleeting with 40 to 60 mph wind gusts here right now
Back in 1987 or 1989 We had a few days of below zero weather in fact one of the coldest ever, a actual temperature of -32 F with a 30 to 50 mph wind and that was really cold ,we don't get like that often but it does happen..
That wind that comes with that break freezing the hair from your body is something to experience..!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

-2º this morning. Still windy. Lilypon's cold blowing in.
Blizzard in western MN. Schools closed.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Kinda figured you'd be the lucky one Bernie! ;D

Yep this cold is nasty juhur7 but it serves a necessary purpose. Snow keeps the drought at bay. Last winter had very little snow cover which gave way to drought.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

and with the above cold air a negative trough is now out there......someones are in for a storm (ranchers in Texas will be pleased).

A negatively tilted trough is one which is the most recognized and has the most importance. This is because the way it is positioned will allow a storm to grow and strengthen. Colder air will have the ability to lay on top of the warmer, more humid air that the storm is feeding from. With cold air aloft and warmer air closer to the ground, instability is created, allowing for convection and strengthening to occur.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

25/10 Here today , snowing , we may get an inch or two .. Windy of course ,

Cold today but starting tomorrow night we will be dealing with a major storm that will impact most of the midwest. South of me will have ice, my area will see anywhere from 3-8 inches of snow and maybe some ice depending on who you listen to, and further north could see over 20 inches of snow.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are forecast for 3 to 6. We need every flake. -6º now.

(Zone 7a)

We have a few days of off and on snow coming. Haven't seen any yet. Mid-30s for daytime temps. Yesterday is was 51º!

Currently around 24 and no snow yet. We are forcast in my area 6-8 inches but we are on the line for the 8-12 inches so could get more. Windshields and mirrors covered. My boss said don't come in tomorrow so we will be using my truck as main mode of getting around if needed.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

ICE STORMS TONIGHT AND TOMORROW 23 /10?
Good old freezing rain and power outages ,,,,oh goody/ HUH?

The ice storm for my area will be about 2 counties south of me. We are in the middle in a ways. Not in the bulls eye of the most snow and not in the path of all the ice that will hit down south.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Rain, rain, rain! Cold front coming in......will be chilly in the AM, however, 70 in the afternoon, if I heard it correctly
Possible flooding.

Warning: Weeds in yard will now grow three times faster! Must call yard crew to avoid ticket from city. (No, I have never had a ticket. It is generally well kept.) Normally they start back March 1st, but with all of the rain and warm weather the weeds are growing rapidly.

Still beats shovelling snow......I am very thankfull for my weeds, the rain, and the yard crew!

Low 20s for high and holding. We currently have around 13 inches of snow with another inch possible from the backside. We are also getting ice mixed in so roads are still dangerous.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Weather man says 1/4 inch of ice , we already have that and hours of freezing rain followed by snow to go ,
That is making noise as it falls. wind 19 mph temp 27 hum,75% wind chill 14 Barometric,pressure 30.07 dew point 21
Visibility 0.5 ..

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

WoW Pepper, that is alot of snow....... It sure is pretty in pictures, haha! Wasn't so pretty when it was on my palm trees a few years ago! LOL!

Low 60, high 75, with rain most of the day!

Yard crew to come tomorrow!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Started snowing here about 9:15 PM. 1" already. Looking for 5".
15º.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh Pepper you certainly have been *blessed*. Shame about the ice though. :(
Looking forward to the high of 27F (feels like 16) that they are predicting for here this afternoon

Moose Jaw, SK
Current Weather 7:45 CST
A few clouds

0°F

A few clouds

Feels Like : -15
Wind : E 7 m/h

Humidity : 80%
Pressure : 1015 mb
Visibility : 9.9 miles

Sunrise : 7:59
Sunset : 18:32
Ceiling : unlimited

Beyond sick of this winter....we've had good snow cover since the beginning of November and it seems like it will never go away.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Still snowing lightly. 5" so far. First real snow of the winter. Most of the winter it was only dusting to 1".
19º.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Praying you and South Dakota get a whole lot more Bernie......that drought is just way too close for comfort. I had some of the weather expert Texans tell me that it will be very hot just below the international border (and here) if a WHOLE lot of snow didn't fall down there. I've been turning on every fan I have to add Saskatchewan Screamers to every Alberta Clipper that is flying though here. We've had blizzards about every 2nd day for I don't know how long now. Happy to see the cold is hitting the moisture that is finally going across the American Great Plains.

We ended up with about 14 inches last night. I was shoveling the deck and a couple other paths today and sank up to my knees in it. Warmed up to about 27 today. Quite toasty!! lol. We have more rain and snow coming in on Monday.

The first pic is some birds loving the snow. The second one gives you an idea of how hard it was coming down. We were getting 2-3 inches an hour.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh boy if those forecast models in La La Land verify you folks aren't going to be happy!

I would seriously start looking at snowmobiles, snowshoes and heavy parkas.

(keep an eye on your long term forecasts for next week and for the next 3 after.....esp those in Kansas and the American mid west).

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Some of you might remember me. I thought I'd come back. I still do Cubits, but I want to get back with my DG peeps, too.

Chilly morning, but not atypical. As usual, we could use some rain but there is nothing in the forecast.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 6:51 AM PST on February 23, 2013
38 °F
Clear
Windchill: 34 °F
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 31 °F
Wind: 6 mph from the SSW
Pressure: 30.10 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 8.40 out of 12

narcissus "Barrett Browning"

Thumbnail by Kelli
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Hi Kelli :o)

Must admit it always surprises me that your location gets so cool (warm for me but anyways ;o). We are having a real up and down winter now (sharing our cold warms us up real quick :^)) ) :

Moose Jaw, SK
Current Weather 11:25 CST
Partly cloudy

28°F

Partly cloudy

Feels Like : 19
Wind : S 11 m/h

What our winter looked like here...... we aren't used to cloudy skies for weeks/months on end.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/your_weather/details/620/9828556/10/cask0210/plpcities/786/

Haunting hope of warm days to come.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/your_weather/details/620/9598480/18/cask0210/plpcities/16095/

This message was edited Feb 23, 2013 12:01 PM

Hi Kelli!! Welcome back!!

I feel like I'm gonna need that snowmobile. They are now calling for 6-10 inches of SNOW!!!!!! Rain Monday then late Monday afternoon-night changes to snow and we will have blizzard like conditions again if not an actual blizzard. I had to call in work (along with alot of others) for Thurs. Looks like I may be doing it again Tues. *sigh*

Other weather news: Today was sunny and once it got out of the single digits of around 4* this morning it warmed up nicely. My dad and I went out and worked on the driveway some more to make it easier to get in and out. We used our electric shovel and hand shoveled.

This is our shovel we used. It does pretty good in light snow but this is a little much for it. Have to shave layers off. http://www.hsn.com/products/greenworks-7-amp-12-electric-snow-shovel/6294047?query=6294047&isSuggested=True

(Zone 7a)

Hey, Kelli!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.