Morning Glories Winter 2012-2013 #3

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We were here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294281

no Sora cross from 2009

Thumbnail by patootie

Just bumping this up above the previous thread.
One of my 1st pics last summer with my new Sony camera
Best 119.00 I ever spent.

Thumbnail by patootie
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Very very nice Jackie!!

Gautier, MS

I agree Jackie, very nice. I"m not expecting to see any pandy's growing along the side of the road this year here in town. They cut the small tree that it was growing and cleared all the area and have sign to sell the lot. It had lots of blooms last year.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

It may have self seeded, and will probably grow again?

Thanks Ronnie and Helena.
Helena, that big tuber is in the ground still so it might do something this coming summer. Just kind of
watch for the vine laying on the ground with nothing to climb on now. Dropped sds might sprout but that growth would be very slow since its a true perennial

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

All the Panduratas I see are climbing the ditches and slopes of the hiways, Helena. Don't give up.

Brazilian morning glory? there are so many called that name. I setosa has serrated edges and thorns that are soft, on the stem, Stictocardia has huge heart leaves beefy and leathery, a smooth thick stem. sbish, I am sure you got a few other types of seeds in the mix I sent you. Most of the Sept 2012 patio mixes are all having some of these..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

I love your beautiful blue striped no sora cross, very special, Jackie. I would never grow tired of looking at it.
More of the sept patio mixes

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Keep the pictures coming, like Debra said, we never get tired of these beauties!

Your Sept mix blooms were very pretty Debra. Loved all of them

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I haven't a clue where they came from. Between the seed robin and the other large seed trade, well, it came out of the plastic bag labeled "morning glories" LOL. I do think I put them all in to germinate though so no extras available this year Shirley. They are huge seedlings compared the others that have germinated this last week. They were labeled "brazilian morning glories" so we'll just have to see what they are. They all germinated, like six of them, so theirs a good chance I 'll get some flowers and seeds! I ordered some taller humidity domes today so I can protect some of my seedlings from the mystery buggies that seem to come out in the greenhouse at night and eat things. So far they seem to prefer the brugmansia cuttings. But I cover anything I can get a dome over. I know there is some bug out in my garden that eats morning glories so I'm not putting them out until they get bigger. They were fuzzy seeds, that's unusual, so I'm hoping they are the I. setosa.

Gautier, MS

Jackie and Debra, I know my own pandy's will bloom in my yard. But I'll be very lucky if the ones along the side of the road cause I know where will be mowing that area to keep it looking neat so they can sell the lot.

Beautiful blooms Debra. Nope, can never get tired of looking at them.

Gautier, MS

Had a nice bloom this morning, happy to get any now.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

What a lovely bloom!

I finally got the seeds from Dany, thanks so much, they will be planted very soon!

Helena, I think that's the bloom that you and Debra have both grown.. It's a beautiful color, I just love it.
I think I have sds for this one from both of you, thanks.

(Zone 7a)

Two seed fairies sent seeds to my house today - Dany & Debra - starting to feel like a fairy myself (NOT). Debra, thank you so much for your gift of summer cheer while Winter snorts and huffs outside - it's a beautiful surprise, and I'll be sending you a surprise shortly too, albeit not MGs. Wish I had something on Dany's wish list - maybe there'll be something in my growouts next summer.

ps - to all who might have shared my seeds with others in the past - you all have my blessings - glad someone is growing them :)

Debra, I got your seeds today too! Can't wait to get them going. Are they easy to grow?

Mine arrived too Debra. Thanks for all the great sds you've sent me the last couple of months.

Gautier, MS

Thank you Debra too, I received your seeds yesterday.

Lucky for you guys. I'm glad you all received Dany's seeds, I haven't yet cause first it has to go to the main office and we have a mail lady that been working under contract bids for 29 years. It's a little different here. My mail always takes longer to get to me from over seas. I'll just have to wait a little longer.

Helena, sounds like your mail lady just does how much she wants to do. Something is wrong when your
mail takes 5 days to get to the next town..
My mail gets to Little Rock the next day.

A lovely Purp from 2011
My new plant in the g house Prince of Orange, this one has 2 headers so a free plant. Glad to
know this one can make offsets. It needs just a little more sun that what its getting to bring out the
orangy color

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Evening everyone, Dany , I got your seeds, thank you!

Love the Prince of orange, I had one and lost it. I had a Jaimie Lynn, a shibouri, the blue i purp, and a mauve splash opened this am..

got a couple pics, havn't loaded them up yet.. been getting stuff re-arranged in the basement gardens with seed trays and all, before I leave town this Tuesday.
did a fry daddy full of buffalo style wings for Joe and he made a pumpkin pie and some guacamole for the Super Bowl game, which I am not watching.. LOL

Debra, did you do some fries to go with the buffalo wings?
Sounds good to me. :-)
Deb, I always wanted Philo Prince of Orange and was so happy to find this one at Lowes. 9.99
so not too pricey.

Debra, are you getting ready to go see your Sister? If so, please give her hugs from us please?

Gautier, MS

Jackie, pretty purp blooms, your Prince of Orange is a very attractive plant.

Thanks Helena. I have been enjoying all the purps the last couple of yrs.
I had been wanting Prince of Orange for a few yrs now so happy to find it a
reasonable price.

Helena, can you tell me the name of this MG? Not sure which pkg of sds this one came out of.

Thumbnail by patootie

That is beautiful! and I love your impatiens, too. A Lot. LOL

that bloom looks familiar.. will have to sort thru my august of past photos to see if I grew it or not. looks like a cross between GS and star of india and dracula LOL

Thanks Debra. Maybe Gray Star.
I;m sure I lost that pretty little impatiens. Found it at Lowes and thought it was pretty and different.
I didn't see this particular one at Lowes this past spring. Hope I can find it again.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, pretty bloom. If I had to guess maybe from the gray star mix, can't remember if I sent you mauve star. We didn't trade last year so don't remember if I sent you mauve star. I don't know where my notes are, got disorganized.

Helena, thanks. That mg was from 2010 so could be Mauve Star or Gray Star. I still have a few sds of both
so I need to grow both of them to compare.

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Nice bloom Jackie. I love how some blooms change, most of the time it's a surprise for me. I have quite a few seedlings from old seeds to see if they come true or not. Just soaked another batch of seeds. Boy it sure feels like an early spring here. Hope it doesn't turn out to be an early April fools day though. I noticed today that the trees are budding up.

Do all of you soak your seeds before planting? Does it help them germinate quicker?

Not everyone soaks the sds first Linda. I used to but I don't now. Its just a matter of personal preference.
It doesn't take that much longer if you don't pre-soak..Helena is doing what works best for her.
Be sure and check the sticky at the top of the MG forum for all the great information.

Thanks Helena,. Last yr our trees were budding out in early Feb. I don;t think they will this yr after the cold winter we've had. But regardless they will have buds by early March. We've had 90 degree temps in March here
before. Bring it on I say. I'm tired of the cold.

Saginaw, MI

Haven't checked out this forum for a couple of days & WOW I missed a lot of beautiful blooms!!! These are so pretty -- I so wish I lived where I could enjoy them year round! But , I guess looking at all your beautiful pics will have to do!!

Debra, if the mix you sent me contains any or all of the ones you pictured above , it is sure to be a beautiful display and I am very grateful for you sending them! I can't wait till it is warm enough out to get them going.

I picked up a couple packets of choice mixed colors morning glory(picture on front shows pinks/purples/reds) -- am going to mix these in with my grandpa ott seeds from last year and see what happens!

Cold here again today! Totally agree Jackie--BRING ON THE WARM WEATHER!!!

goodmorning from Rogers, Arkansas... just finished de-bugging watering and trimming the plants all over sisters house, she has been in severe pain from the fall she had last week on top of the chemo sickness, so she hasn't felt Like gardening at all. I asked Joe to snap pics of any glorys he sees blooming at my lace and a special hibiscus was budded up, so he will be on the look out for those.
Linda, I don't soak all seeds just the big ones, I have three peach tree seeds in water cup right now and will stay on top of fridge while soaking, I experimented with some seeds frm a store bought large roma tomatoe, saw they came right up in a water bottle planter in the window sill garden pink bedroom. hope I get that size tomatoes from them.

Sister has an akatsu no mai blooming in her window, was a pleasant surprise. We go to dr to get test results today. I woke up crying from a bad dream. Let's hope it is just a bad dream.
these were from patio collection 2011

Gautier, MS

Beautiful pictures on your patio collection Debra. Praying all goes well for your sister's test result. I'm glad you are there to be with her.

Glad to hear your with your Sister Debra! We will all be with you in spirit when you get the her report! Please keep us posted!
Love those blooms!
Well, we have not had any cool weather for more than 3 weeks, so I think I am going to put fresh soil in a few pots, and get some seeds going! I am also going to get some caladiums in the ground. I bought the bulbs several weeks ago, and they are beginning to sprout, time to get them in the ground!

Saginaw, MI

Hugs & well wishes for your sister Debra!! Enjoy your visit & talk about the "silly" things!! You'll be glad you did!!!

Beautiful 2011 blooms Debra.
I did not even realize your sis took a fall last week.
I will be thinking of the both of you today and praying for God to give
you strength Debra, so you can be strong for her.
My puter getting ready to crash for sure, doing the weirdest things. oh no!!

Make sure you back up all those photo's!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.