Lily Group Buy from ADR for mid-atlantic spring swappers

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill, if you move Dimension from Bleek's to ADR, I will take 15 or even a few more.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Donner, I'll add a second bag of 'Dimension' to our ADR order, then. I've got the ADR bulbs on a spreadsheet now and will put in the numbers for Bleek's sale soon.

If you haven't taken a look at Bleek's bulbs yet, please do so over the weekend, and let me know what you want. We'll do a second phase of ordering from him before he ships, but HE EXPECTS TO START RUNNING OUT OF THINGS SOON.

:-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Aspen-- I'm not sure regular refrigeration will work. I tried saving lily bulbs in the fridge once, and it didn't work well. Some bulbs I left outside by mistake fared much better.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm much better at designing a garden than knowing how to care for the plants LOL. In that arena, I'm very much a novice and soak in whatever advice I get here on DG, especially from Jill, Sally, Gita, Judy, etc... For the lilly bulbs, I'll let Jill figure out what needs to be done with them before the spring swap. In one of the posts, she was starting to worry that the Bleek bulbs would be shipped too soon and would need refridgerator space. Voila, I have an extra fridge if she thinks it is needed. Maybe refridgeration is good for short-term, but not good forlong-term, i.e. getting them to last more than a season without planting?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I may be totally off here--but maybe the bulbs would be Ok in a fridge if they were potted up?

I think also a certain temperature is important. Probably a bit warmed than we usually keep fridges at.
Call a Wholesale Nursery near you and ask,,,,,a grower,,,,
All the bulbs they sell at Easter and Mothers Day have been forced to bloom.
G.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

The bulbs would be ok in the garage if they were potted up, as long as the garage is not too warm. It would be like continuing to be chilled in the ground.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Right. The main trick is to keep them from breaking dormancy, and of course you don't want to freeze them either. I know I can ask Bleek for advice if my basement/garage starts getting warmer than is ideal while I'm holding them. Since we're not getting so many bulbs from him, I could also try to pot up those that can't be picked up earlier if they start sprouting, but I don't want to promise that I'll be able to do that... that's pretty much a last resort, LOL.

I'd say if you want more than a few, don't worry about spending a little more for shipping... get Touch of Nature to ship them directly to you in mid-March instead of joining the group order. If you just want to try a few, they're inexpensive enough to be worth the risk of my trying to "hold" them here until May.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill - I need to look at what I've ordered as I'm interested in those others as well. I will post tomorrow night after I've peeked at everything...thanks for all of your hard work!!

I'll take the chance with mine being refrigerated. He shipped me boxes early last year and they held up fine in my refrigerator for a long time.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill, if you move some of the orders from Bleek's to ADR, I would like to have the following quantities:

Cona’dOr 10
Startgazer 10
Dimension 15

The Cona’dOr and Startgazer quantities here are additions to my original ADR numbers that you have already ordered.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Greetings Jill,
Thank you so much for organizing this sale!
I know that this request is late.
I am hoping for Casa Blanca, Stargazer, (I'll be ok with Starfighter).
Also, I must admit that reading all of these posts is proving daunting for me. So, if there areother lilies which others would like but you need a few more to make the lot, I'm ok with purchasing whichever lily is needed to round it out the order.
I would like 5 of each, but will take fewer if need be.
Thank You Again Jill,
Cheers!
Marlene

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Donner, I'll add second bags for those to our ADR order and we'll see how that goes. I think we'll be close enough; will check with Theresa to see if they want a few.

Marlene, I'll juggle numbers and see what happens. No need to read all the posts... I'm updating the availability lists at the top as we go along, and you can always ask for a lily on the list and I'll see what I can do.

I'll be back in a moment with a list of remaining bulbs... maybe... I hear the kids returning from the park

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Remaining as of 9 February 2013

7 Asiatic ‘Dimension’
5 Tiny Oriental ‘After Eight’
10 Oriental ‘Stargazer’
2 OT ‘Bonbini’
15 OT ‘Conca d’Or’ (can also get this one from ToN, so don't need to "sell" 15 to place an order)
4 OT ‘Satisfaction’
1 OT ‘Candy Club’
3 Oriental Double 'Magic Star' (from Bleek, $3 per bulb + shipping but WOW)
Up to 7 Phlox ‘David’
Up to 7 Astilbe ‘Ostrich’

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--if no one else really wants the Phlox "David", I can take two more.
You had me down for three--right? So that will be five then.

I have phlox growing in 3 different places. I will just mix the white ones in.

Thanks, Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill - unless I'm wrong the following are my totals as of now:
Casa Blanca 6
Star Gazer 5 + 5 (?)
Satisfaction 5
Candy Club 3

I don't 'need' that second group of 5 Star Gazers - but can always share with my sis or no one else was ISO of them. They do smell incredible!! Matter-a-fact...anyone wanting Star Gazer can take as many from my # as they want since I'd really like to get 3 each of Lily Oriental Trumpet Hybrid Conca d'Or, Lily Rubrum Black Beauty, and Lily Trumpet Regale

If no one else raises their hand for that last Candy Club - I'll take her.

Let me know what works best for the totals, please and thank you.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I've got you down for 10 'Stargazer' but we can probably "sell off" some to somebody else before the spring swap if you want fewer. My SIL wanted to try a few OT's along with her requested Stargazers, so I snagged the 'Candy Club' for her if that's OK.

Chantell, you said you wanted "3 each of Lily Oriental Trumpet Hybrid Conca d'Or, Lily Rubrum Black Beauty, and Lily Trumpet Regale" -- are those numbers just a thought or would you like to definitely add them

Also, my nieces wanted the brightest pink Oriental lily we could find, so I suggested 'Acapulco'. I've grown it before, and it's really a hot hot pink, a real standout color. It's a little shorter than most, which makes it easier to "place" in the garden. My SIL wants some to put around a little redbud tree with some daylilies. I'm taking 12 and could probably take more, but please let me know if you want to have a few.

*** NEW ADDITION ***

Oriental Lily 'Acapulco' -- 13 available, hot pink oriental, my recollection is 24-30", great fragrance, PF comments indicate it may be one of the tougher oriental lily varieties, too

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I placed our initial order with ToN just now. We can about double it without having our shipping charge increase, looks like... so as we order more, the shipping charge per bulb will drop!

Gita, if you want 2 more 'David' phlox (total of 5), you are welcome to them, but they will find homes either way, so don't order more than you really want.

Same goes for anybody else ordering to make up numbers... order what you want, but please don't feel "pushed" to order extras. I think we can add on pretty much everything we're considering at this point, and I'll bet the "extra" 50 or so bulbs will find willing homes before May.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--I will take 5 of the phlox.
Aina has become such a budding gardener that i can give her the extra two.
Thanks--Gita

I'll take 3 Acapulco, Jill.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll put you down for 5 'David' then, Gita.

Thanks, Roses! I'm pretty sure I can put Happy & Aspen & maybe Holly down for a few 'Acapulco' also, so it should be a "go." (That will make up for the ones I reduced from 5 to 3 bulbs for them.)

My brother's family just headed out the door, so I'll see if I can get caught up & be ready to place an addition to our ADR order tomorrow.

I think we have enough interest in 'Conca d'Or' to go ahead with a second bag, since we had a lot of people ordering from the first bag. I can juggle the numbers (3 more for me, 1 more for Donner & for Holly, 2 more for Happy) to leave us with 5. I know somebody will come along and want the last few bulbs between now & delivery time.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

No worries re Star Gazer and perfectly fine re Candy Club.
Yes to 3 each of those 3.
If avail 3 of the Acapulco

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I'll add the 'Regale' to our ToN order...

I'll place a follow-up order with TOUCH OF NATURE Tuesday morning (2/12).
Anything else you want from Bert, just let me know today or tomorrow please (remember, that's mid-March delivery -- so either early pick-up or refrigeration). For bulbs where there are 4 to a pack or 2 to a pack, let me know if you'd rather have a different number if available, and we'll see if anybody else wants a few so it works out. I'm "easy" when it comes to lilies, and I'm not the only one... plus, my SIL wouldn't mind a few more "random" ones. :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, Roses! Lilies were one of the first things I planted out back... slowly petered out, but I'm hoping I can do better by them this time (soil is better now, too). I really loved the hot pink "punch" of Acapulco.

Donner, I currently have you down for 5 + 10 on both the Stargazer and Conca d'Or (15 of each of those) and 15 'Dimension' also. If I have that wrong, LMK. I know you were ordering for you and for a friend; wanted to be sure you both have what you want.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill, the quantities are correct.. Yes, 15 of each of those 3 varieties. Thanks

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill - here's my order - I think it's correct...

Previously requested:
Casa Blanca 6
Star Gazer 5 + 5 (?)
Satisfaction 5
Candy Club 3
Regale 3

Am I added to 2nd bag of these?
Conca d'O 3

Would like these added - please and thank you. ^_^
Lily Oriental Trumpet Hybrid Red Dutch 3

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Got it. Yes, I counted you in on the 2nd ADR bag of Conca d'Oro, placed our follow-up order with them today. I managed to forget the 'Regale' in our initial order from ToN (but i made a note! LOL)... I'll add 1 pack of it and a pack of the Red Dutch for you tomorrow.

Anybody else need anything from Bert's lily sale? http://www.touchofnature.com/specials/spring.htm

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

When I grow up I'd like to have 1/2 of your organizational skills, Jill!!! I stand in awe....thank you

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... it's just that I've been "in" on a bunch of the old DG co-ops and other group buys, and I've assisted with spreadsheets more than once... so it makes sense in my head, anyway. Whether or not it makes sense on the thread... well, I'm counting on y'all to ask questions if anything isn't clear!

*** Please read this re. group buys ***

Speaking of making things clear... We do all share the risk on this sort of purchase. While I have trust in our suppliers, if they are kidnapped by aliens who irradiate all the lily bulbs and then charge my credit card, and if I am unable to recover the funds (or the glowing purple bulbs), everybody is still responsible for paying me for what they ordered. If I were a retailer, that wouldn't be the case, because my mark-up from other orders would (hopefully) cover me for losses. When I do a group buy, I'm not out to make anything from it. It's just a great way for me & a lot of others to get more for our buck.

On the ADR bulbs, it is true that using an average price per bulb means the lower-priced bulbs are marked up a little and the higher priced ones are discounted a little... but I think the benefit of making the math easy makes up for the possibility that you might pay a little more than if I priced all bulbs individually.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Always good to remind folks of the 'disclaimer.' Course you know me...I'm hoping you'll be one of the ones enjoying the higher priced bulbs given the amount of time you put into these not to mention using your credit card initially.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The average price of my bulbs will probably work out pretty well to the average price per bulb across the order... I don't seem to be able to resist any of them! LOL

Jim about swallowed his teeth when he saw the PayPal charge, until he remembered I'd been talking about a GROUP purchase.

Very funny! Our guys never know what to expect next from this gardening thing.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm quite out of the loop, but it looks as if I order 17 Acapulco and 10 more Stargazer that'd move things along. And I'm always happy to get more Casa Blanca -- I thought I noticed a push for more.

And let me know if you want me to finish up any other lots. All things considered, I'd prefer shortish (so they don't fall over), perennializing and fragrant

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 11:08 AM

I'm happy to say that none of mine have ever fallen over. Wonder why.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The newer lilies are being bred for stout stems as well as bigger flowers with substantial petals. Lilies also have contractile roots... if they aren't as deep as they'd like, they'll pull their own bulbs down in a season or two. That helps them stay upright.

Don't worry too much right now about getting the lilies "zeroed out," as I'm sure I can "sell off" a few extras between now & the spring swap. If there are ones you want, please speak up for them, though!

An exception is 'Conca d'Or', as we still have about a dozen unclaimed in that second bag. I wasn't sweating that, though, as I figured I could probably "sell" a few more to those who had already ordered some (maybe 3 each to Roses, Holly, Donner, Happy) *if* they were still unsold by the end of April.

Happy, you got 7 Stargazer and 4 Acupulco, bringing us to zero remaining on both of those. Let me know how many 'Ostrich' astilbe you want (you may have as many as 10).

I just updated the availability list at the top so it agrees with my spreadsheet. I'll post a list below of what's remaining... and again, we can likely juggle numbers to get you 1 or even 3 more of something that's caught your eye. We're all friends; we share!

I want to thank everybody for being so flexible and "easy" about this -- that's what makes this group buy fun to run!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, here are my numbers for each variety. I bumped numbers around a little for "flexible" people (from 5 to 3, or from 5 to 6), but I don't think I've got anybody spending more than they'd figured. Varieties with bulbs remaining are italicized.

I know everybody would like a list of what THEY have ordered and a total... that's coming from my "real" spreadsheet, promise! If I just can't get it out before the swap (and I'll try), then we'll just have to do check or PayPal, which we can arrange after you get your "invoice." :-)

(Now I have to call Sears again and yell at them for replacing our new, dented water heater with a new, incorrect model. 3 technician calls and counting!)

ASIATIC HYBRIDS

(25/ 0) 'Elodie' 12/14 cm bulbs
3 Critter., 3 Roses., 3 Aspen., 3 Holly., 5 Donner, 5 SSG, 3 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Dimension' 12/14 cm bulbs, deep velvety ruby-red (on initial order)
3 Terp, 5 Holly, 5 SSG, 5 Aspen, 2 Gita, 5 Roses

(25/ 7) 'Dimension' second bag of 25 (ordered Feb 11)
15 Donner, 3 Critter

ORIENTAL HYBRID LILY VARIETIES (available number in parentheses)

(25/ 0) 'Deep Impact' : 16/18 cm bulbs, red-pink with thin bright white edge (on initial order)
6 critter, 3 aspen, 3 Holly, 5 Donner, 5 SSG, 3 Happy,

(25/ 0 ) 'Sorbonne' : 14/16 cm bulbs, pink-lavender with thin white edge, seems to be a favorite pink in reviews (on initial order)
6 Critter, 3 Aspen, 5 Holly, 5 Donner, 3 Terp, 3 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Lake Michigan' : 16/18 cm bulbs,white bloom blushing to magenta on tips (on initial order)
6 Critter, 3 Aspen, 2 Gita, 5 Donner, 3 Terp, 3 Happy, 3 Roses

(50/ 5) Tiny Oriental 'After Eight' : FIVE REMAINING looks like a mini Star Gazer (25 ordered initially, 25 more ordered Feb 11)
15 Critter, 5 Aspen, 10 Donner, 5 Holly, 10 Happy.

(25/ 0) Casa Blanca' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white, an extra-fragrant classic ((on initial order)
6 Chantell, 5 Donner, 5 Sos07, 3 Terp, 3 Happy, 3 Marlene

(25/ 0) 'Stargazer'' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white & pink & cranberry, an extra-fragrant classic (on initial order)
(15) Critter, 5 Donner, 5 Happy,

(25/ 0) 'Stargazer'' 2nd bag ordered Feb. 11
5 (to 10) Chantell, 10 Donner, 3 (to5) Critter, 7 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Acapulco'' ordered Feb 11
12 Critter, 3 Roses, 3 Chantell, 3 Aspen, 4 Happy

OT HYBRID LILY VARIETIES (available number in parentheses)

(25/ 2)'Bonbini' : TWO REMAINING 16/18 cm bulbs, white with unique star pattern at throat
6 Critter, 3 Roses, 5 Aspen, 1 Sos07, 3 Terp, 5 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Conca d'Or' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white and gold
3 Critter, 3 Roses, 2 Gita, 5 Holly, 5 Donner, 1 Sos07, 3 Terp, 3 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Holland Beauty' 16/18 cm bulbs, cream edge, pink-red center. One of the newer hybrids from the tet Black Beauty, featured on the cover of B&D Lily's 2009 catalog.
6 Critter, 5 Aspen, 5 Holly, 1 Sos07, 3 Terp, 5 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Satisfaction' : 16/18 cm bulbs, pink-red with yellow throat. Said to be sturdy enough to not need staking! Hart's favorite, as I recall.
9 Critter, 5 Aspen, 5 Chantell, 1 Sos07, 5 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Candy Club' wide white edges and bright red-pink make a striking combination. Add great, sturdy stems, and fragrance -- wow!
6 Critter, 3 Chantell, 5 Holly, 5 Donner, 5 Aspen, 1 Sos

(25/ 12) OT Conca d'Or TWELVE REMAINING second bag ordered Feb 11
10 Donner, 3 Chantell,

PHLOX & ASTILBE -- we're testing the waters by ordering two sets (bags of 25) of ADR's bare root perennials along with the lilies. Order will be placed when the next round of lilies is ordered

25/0 Tall Garden Phlox 'David' -- well known white variety, very tough and (relatively) mildew-resistant. sun to partial shade
12 Critter, 3 SSG, 5 Happy, 5 Gita

25/0 Astilbe 'Ostrich' -- famed for its graceful, arching white blooms.
12 (up to 25) Aspen, 3 SSG, 10 Happy?

LILY ORDER FROM TOUCH OF NATURE

Oriental Rose Lily Fabiola (double rose pink flowers)
Critter, Aspen, Terp

Oriental lily 'Salmon Star'
Terp

Oriental 'Hotline' (that pink picotee edge reminds me of the edge on 'Eyeliner'!)
1 set (3 bulbs) Critter, 1 set (3 bulbs) Happy

3 Oriental Double 'Magic Star' 2/$6
Critter (3 bulbs), ? (3 bulbs)

1 Lily Oriental Pot Farolito
Terp

4 Rubrum Uchida (pink species lily with old fashioned recurved petals like Black Beauty).
1 (2) Aspen, 1 1/2 (3)Critter, 1 1/2 (3) Donner

1 OT hybrid 'Robina'
Critter

3 Lily rubrum 'Black Beauty'
1 set (3) Critter, 2 sets (6 bulbs) Donner,

3 Lily Tiger 'Pink' 4 for
3 sets: 9 bulbs Critter,3 bulbs Aspen

still need:
1 set trumpet Regale for Chantell
1 set OT Red Dutch for Chantell

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 3:03 PM

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 10:51 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy mentioned wanting more 'Casa Blanca'. Anybody else want some/more of those? LMK how many!

(yeah, I know I said I wasn't adding more this week... what can I say... I'm a good enabler!)

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 3:05 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'll happily take 10 Ostrich Astilbes.

I don't mean to push for the Casa Blancas -- it's no biggie.

I can take the remaining After Eights, Bonbinis, and Conca d'Ors.

(Critter -- I can pick up from you when they arrive, and anyone local to me who wants to can pick up theirs from me.)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy, I think you were right in seeing some additional interest in the Casa Blanca after our initial 25 had been filled. It's not a push, just seeing if more were wanted.

Happy, just so you know that makes 15 'After Eight' for you. I've got the same number -- figure I'm going to plant these little cuties 5 to a container, put 2 containers out front and give the 3rd to one of my "sisters."

I can note that you'll take them if needed, but that's a lot of 'Conca d'Or'... I'm willing to sit on them for a bit, bet somebody else will want 1 here, 3 there... I know you're trying to make this easy for me! But I think I remember that you weren't real sure where you'd put the very tall ones, and 'C d'O' is definitely tall.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I know -- if anyone else wants to pick up some of the Conca's, that's fine.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh boy, that Conca d'Or is so tempting. I'll take 5!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.