Ready, set, order!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1284448/

It's hard to imagine any of us on this forum being thrilled with a new vacuum for Christmas (or as a gift anytime) but a nice gift certificate from Brushwood, Garden Crossings, Klehm's or Silver Star Vinery would be more likely to evoke smiles.

Brushwood has quite a few on sale if you haven't noticed. I tried to be good and actually didn't order any but I did save 12 photos for clem's to consider for this year. The old lack of space issue always has to come into play. http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/large-flowered-clematis-3/?gclid=CP_D95Wp3rQCFVCd4AodwDoA1w

I did find one spot that needs a low growing clematis but I'd like some for the new garden (the former vegetable garden) and think one (or two) could go against the sunny side of the shed. This morning I had a mason measure to lift the bricks in the path and reset them in cement. That will be one less concern for me. I'm too afraid of tripping on the wood edging that is there now.

Show us your new found spots to place clematises. We need to brighten this winter and get ready for spring.

We're due for a nice warm weekend here in the Northeast with temperatures in the 50's for the weekend. It would be a good time to cut back any class 3 clem's since they get pruned to the ground. I'll be heading to the rose garden shortly. Roses! They always look good with clematis. What fun! Now it's just to match the clem's to the roses.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am all for new spots but I want to be sure the clems I planted 2 years ago will come back or it will just be old spota for me.

A lot depends on the depth of planting and the size of the clematises you bought. If you have any doubt about the depth and you can get to your compost piles this weekend, when we should have some warmer weather, use a pot to get enough compost to cover the clematises by 6" or more. No need to water. You can put mulch on top of the compost to help prevent wind driven weed seeds from making a home in the compost.

I'm curious - what is spota?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

spota is the Italian pronunciation for spot.
Seriously just a typo.

Thomaston, CT

Sorry I looked at the Brushwood site....Andromeda really caught my eye...may have to get it......

Funny, Jo Ann!

Marilyn - that's one I saved. Did you see Happy Birthday? It's out of stock now but a great looking clem:

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

That's a beauty, Pirl.......nice saturated color....

The contrast is good as well.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. Arlene, i love the title of this thread:~) I can't believe it's that time of year again to order clematis. Brushwood has some excellent choices, but several that I had on my wants list weren't available, and I had to give them my info to let me know when they would be. I chose others, some of which I don't recall seeing last year. Here's my list of ordered plants:

Andromeda
Best Wishes
Chantilly (this one is listed as fragrant)
Fleuri
Little Mermaid
Red Star
Veronica's Choice
Yukiokoshi

These are coming in late March, and I'm looking forward to growing these plants.

Annette

Hi Annette! Andromeda seems to be leading a few lists of clematises people want this year. I think Happy Birthday is just lovely (or did I say that already?). Love the depth of color on Fleuri!

Provided I can dig up two asparagus plants in the field dedicated to them, I can hunt down two special clem's to go wild over our shed. Most often the asparagus roots are much larger than anyone would expect. If I win and can move them I'll be happy.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Arlene, Happy Birthday is gorgeous, too bad it's not available now. I hope that you get to move some of those asparagus plants. It's always nice to be able to add a few new clematis.

Andromeda was on my wish list from last year, it's got lovely colors, and I'm glad that I was able to get it.

I wonder if the plants that are listed by Brushwood as not available are sold out, or if they haven't grown them to a size that can be sold yet? Annette

They must limit the number they grow. In late October/early November I wanted a specific one but it was in the sold out category so I filled out the form for notification and by December it was available but then I was finishing gardening, Christmas shopping and it was after everything was wrapped that Jack went into emergency surgery, so I didn't get to order it then. I'm sure any popular clematis will become available again soon. I'd guess the size of the plant determines when they're ready to sell it again.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I hope that Jack is recovering well, I'm sorry to hear that he had to have emergency surgery.

I'm glad Brushwood offers the notification service. I wanted Liberation in 2011, but it was old out, and I got notified of it's availability on December 1, 2011, so I ordered then, for delivery in April 2012.

Thanks for letting us know about Brushwood, I've been very pleased with all of the plants that I have received from them in the past.

It was followed by another emergency surgery - both for the ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. I'm glad it's behind us now. He is recovering, slowly but surely.

I like Brushwood's notification system too, and it works.

They are a very obliging company. I once deleted a clem in favor of another and it was the day before they were to be shipped to me. Dan is a good guy and didn't give me any grief over it. Mine, from Brushwood, have all thrived but that's not the case with a lesser known company and I very seldom mention their name and never recommend them.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm glad that Jack is recovering from such a traumatic experience, you both have been through so much.

I agree that Brushwood is an excellent source for clematis, and for good prices as well. They do send healthy plants that have done well here.

I have looked at some of the other online sources for clemstis, but I like the fact that Brushwood is here in GA, which also helps with shipping costs.

Thomaston, CT

Oh, Pirl, I'm so sorry to hear about Jack! Hoping he's on the mend. Unfortunately, that's what took my husband in 2010.....

Athens, PA

Arlene

What a scare! So glad Jack is on the mend. How are you and Smitty holding up?

Unfortunately I will not be ordering any clems this year. I have 2 integrifolias and a pruning group 2 heeled into the backyard for the winter.

Thanks, Annette, Marilyn and Carolyn. It was a scary time, indeed, but he's back home and even went back to doing the laundry today and making his own breakfast. He must be feeling much better. It's just the swelling of the feet and legs that concern us even though he has them elevated all night and a good part of the day.

Marilyn - I came close to losing my dad when he had his aneurysm. It's a risky procedure and only 25% survive it, per the doctor, regardless of age or physical fitness.

Does anyone have one of the Evison low growing clematises that they'd recommend? I need one for a spot near the montana Grandiflora.

My computer is on the fritz so I'm writing from the library again. I'll return when the computer cooperates or gets fixed or else on Monday from the library again.

I did work outside for two hours today and couldn't help but notice the swollen buds on Pink Champagne. Any glimmer of spring is most welcome on this dreary day.

Hurray! My computer guy told me what to do over the phone so I'm back home. I hated the keyboard on the library's computer.

This is the spot where I'd like a new clematis. The gnomes will just have to adjust to the intruder.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

What's the large plant? A clem?

Yes. Montana Grandiflora and it truly is a monster.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

It was an amazingly warm day here today, at a balmy 74 degrees, and intermittently sunny. I spent several hours in the garden cleaning and spraying the daylilies. I also checked on the clematis, and they're all growing nice pips, including the most recently planted clematis.

The Camellias are still blooming nicely, and I've finally seen Goggy bloom. When I bought the plant it wasn't in bloom, so I assumed the picture on the tag, which stated Double Shell Pink,would be the bloom I was going to get. I kinda missed the small print that said "Goggy". Imagine my surprise today when the bloom looked nothing like the picture on the tag, LOL. It was a happy surprise.

Tomorrow we're supposed to get to 72 degrees, so I'll spend some more time outside doing more garden clean up. Winter weather will be returning next week.

Annette

Lucky you! What color did it end up being?

We had dank, dreary, misty all day long. I'm glad I went out early and got something done. Tomorrow is supposed to be wonderful but that's what the forecasters said about today. I did see the forecast for later in the week and it's not warm weather.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Arlene, Goggy is a pale pink double, and I really like it.

I hope you do get some warm weather tomorrow. it was nice to spend some time outside today, after the rainy day we had here yesterday. The cold, rainy weather is on it's way back to GA next week.

We need photos at this time of year, Annette. It's so foggy here and so dank. The day can only get better.

People who don't garden just dismiss days like this, and cold weather, but we gardeners seem to take it personally...as we should!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi you all up north from a warm place in Ga. My Ladybanks rose is blooming and my Raspberry Truffle Salvia is still in bloom. The pansies are looking good and I bought one of the left over Amerillas (?) it is buding, so everything is a OK in Ga.
Pirl, I am glad that you are all better, it will take time for Jack to get back to his old self. You take care of your self and the puppy so you can be for Jack .
Annette, do you have a large yard, or it is just like my yard, 40 x 60 feet. I keep digging up the grass so I can plant more flowers. I think this year I will plant some beets in between the flowers, went to the store and they are selling them $3.00 a bunch of three beets. I got me a juicer and I have been enjoying some fresh juice. The last picture is of the family, that was my Christmas present from them. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Athens, PA

Etelka

What a beautiful family you have.

Our snow has finally melted. I am sure the rivers are quite full, but truth be told I
am glad the snow is gone.

Arlene - did you figure out what kind of clem you are going to put into the area in your photo? I am wondering if an integrifolia is in order. You know how I love the ingrifolias. Dan has some really beautiful ones - all of my integrifolias came from Brushwood.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22 Thumbnail by Carolyn22 Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Thomaston, CT

That is a beautiful family....and beautiful flowers...I'm so sick of looking at snow! Went to the Brushwood site yesterday & ordered Andromeda & Shirayukhime.....hope there's a nickname for that one!

We're jealous of your Lady Banks and others that you have blooming now while we endure dank, damp weather. Forecasters lie!

Nice Christmas gift, Etelka. Everyone looks good.

Enjoy your juicer and your amaryllis. I've had many bloom this winter and more to enjoy in the next few weeks.

Carolyn - that just might be the ideal answer for me. I'll go looking after dinner. Thanks for the good thought.

Marilyn - just call it Shira for short!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Etelka, you have a beautiful family. Also, your garden is coming along beautifully.

The answer to your question is that we live on 1/2 acre, and I'm also steadily removing more grass to get more room to garden, sometimes the DH notices, sometimes he doesn't.

Today was another beautiful day here, in the low 70's again, with intermittent sunshine. I was able to finish trimming all of the clematis, and m. Mayleen was put back up on the drain, and strung across the entrance to our back deck.

I'll post some pictures later, after family movie night.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Arlene, here are some pictures of Camellia Goggy, the shrub, blooms, and the tag that came with the plant. I did finally smell the Camellias blooming in the front garden, and none of them are scented.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

More blooms from outside today, with Camellia Taylor's Perfection, and Nuccio's Bella Rosa is going gangbusters ;~0

I also have a foxglove blooming, boy is this plant confused, and the hellebores are starting to put out buds.

Finally, a few inside blooms, my Amaryllis, and part of the mixed Hyacinths are starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165

Each blossom is just so perfect, Annette. They remind me of china figurines. With that kind of beauty I'm sure you don't need scent as well.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is m. Mayleen finally put back on the drain pipe, and DH has agreed to put in some hooks for me to train Mayleen across the entrance to the back patio. The daffodils pictured are in the same bed with Mayleen, but to her left. I can't remember the name, I'll have to put a tag there after they bloom to identify them.

I took my life into my hands standing on the plant pot with Camellia Mathotiana to get Mayleen back up. I'm glad it was a sturdy pot, made of cement.

Arlene, the dark, dank weather is heading in this direction, with the rains starting tonight, and continuing over the next 2-3 days. It's going to get much colder over the next 10 days, so my time in the garden is done for now. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's a website that I discovered today, called Clematis on the Web. I spent quite some time there, it has over 3000 pictures of clematis, oh my!!!!

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/

Athens, PA

Annette

It looks like heaven. I love the camellias. It is going to be a while before we start to look like your neck of the woods.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the compliments Arlene, and Carolyn, I do love the Camellias. I'm excited to finally see some blooms on plants that have been in for several years, that I had not seen bloom before. Now that I have room under the Cryptomeria canopy in the front garden, I'll will be adding a few more of these plants. Annette

Thomaston, CT

Love the Goggy camellia, but also the color on the amaryllis.....

Mayleen will love the additional support.

COTW is a great way to spend a rainy day!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the compliments Marilyn.

Arlene, I can't wait till the DH gets the rest of the hooks I need across the entrance.

We have had 3 straight days of rain so far this week, I believe I saw Noah's ark float by this afternoon. We now have the threat of snow, sleet, and ice tonight. I wish all the best to my fellow northern gardeners with the winter weather coming your way. Annette

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 7:32 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.