Burpee's new Super Sauce Tomato

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

The cover of the new Burpee catalog is boasting about this super sauce. It takes up the whole cover and says "actual size ". I prefer heirloom and I am trying 13 varieties of them this year, but because I am a canner I can't help but try this. "one tomatoes will fill a jar " they say. Well my seeds are ordered. Anyone else interested in this so -called Super Sauce?

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I would email them and ask if it is a GMO.

I would bet that you won't receive an answer.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I really don't think there is such a thing as GMO tomato.
It's either a misprint or a "I really don't know what I am talking about". The "actual" size picture on the front of the catalog measures 5" wide, 6½" high. Inside they claim 5" wide, 5½" high. If you are going to brag, get the facts right.

Probably be another disappointment. I planted Big Zac one year. Supposed to get 4 lbs or some unreal size. Never even got close!
I would go with a good paste tomato, maybe San Marzano.

Just paging through their tomatoes, they list Tomatoberry as "New". I've been planting it for years. A very good cherry tomato for anyone interested. Won't crack!
I never weighed one, but a ¾" diameter tomato probably won't weigh 2 ounces like they claim.
I get my seeds from Johnny's.

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

I think there are GMO maters. I think I read an article about them splicing with Flounder genes
Yes, that's right, flounder the fish. I'm just curious about this tomato but I can't find any info. If anyone is interested I could mail a few seeds.
Besides Burpee, I ordered from seed savers and Park this year. Lemondrop, Gold medal, Opalka, Italian heirloom, Cherokee Purple... Just to name a few. I want to try and save seeds. Maybe I can even get my neighbors to try some.

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

BTW. I don't generally try varieties like this. OP all the way. But I couldn't help it. It was a bit of an impulse buy, and since you mentioned GM I'm thinking twice about even planting them.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

"I think there are GMO maters. I think I read an article about them splicing with Flounder genes"

How can you claim there are GMO tomatoes with that statement.

No wonder the world is tipped sideways with all this non verified garbage.

PS. Who would want a "fishy" tomato.

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_tomato

happy now? rude!

"I don't think there is such a thing as GMO tomatoes"

no wonder the worlds thinking is sideways

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 4:09 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

More internet craziness.

Welcome to Wikipedia,
the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

That's the first line when you bring it up on Google.

Lots of credibility there.

I think someone was having some fun.

Try this for the real scoop on GMO tomato.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_tomato

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

that's still wikipedia

http://gmo-awareness.com/all-about-gmos/gmo-defined/

FISH GENES

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

well this thread did not go as I hoped. Guess I'll just stick my super sauce seeds in the freezers until I figure out what it really is. I'm tired of arguing over wether there are GMO tomatoes and spreading my "nonverified garbage" as you put it. Wikipedia is unreliable, of I post it, but clearly "the real scoop" if you post it. GEESH!!!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Quote from sweetie77 :
well this thread did not go as I hoped. Guess I'll just stick my super sauce seeds in the freezers until I figure out what it really is. I'm tired of arguing over wether there are GMO tomatoes and spreading my "nonverified garbage" as you put it. Wikipedia is unreliable, of I post it, but clearly "the real scoop" if you post it. GEESH!!!

I also saw these seeds and was wondering about them. Like you, I thought they'd be good for canning. Since you already have them, why not give a few a try & let us know.

Sorry about all the other stuff being tossed around.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

On the contrary, sweetie77! I saw that Brupee's Super Sauce tomato and thought the same thing. I'm only just learning to can--I was always into horses and livestock in 4-H and my girly cousins were into canning. But Burpee's claim sounded like a cool thing to try and prove or disprove. I grow a mix of OP's and hybrids. This year was going to be my year for trying out endive and another project that is on the tip of my tongue but just won't come to me right now. Sigh! Anyway, I'm sorely tempted to try that Super Sauce tomato just to see. Even though have have sworn I will not buy any new tomato seed this year in an effort to use up my left-over seed from the past few years.

I say: You go girl! =)

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

greetings Jo Ann and Terri. Would also like to try them? If so I could mail you some. It comes 25 seeds a pack and if I try them I'm only going to plant 3 or 4 and mayne a few seeds in the freezers for another year. I am gonna have a whole tomato tasting garden this year. I have 14 varieties coming Lol. I would love to share and we can discuss our results here. Just let me know your thoughts and I'll post my email so you can email me your address. I'll post all varieties later, it's hard to type on this kindle ie typos

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Quote from sweetie77 :
greetings Jo Ann and Terri. Would also like to try them? If so I could mail you some. It comes 25 seeds a pack and if I try them I'm only going to plant 3 or 4 and mayne a few seeds in the freezers for another year. I am gonna have a whole tomato tasting garden this year. I have 14 varieties coming Lol. I would love to share and we can discuss our results here. Just let me know your thoughts and I'll post my email so you can email me your address. I'll post all varieties later, it's hard to type on this kindle ie typos

I'd love to have a few seeds. I'll send you a d-mail.
Jo-Ann

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, there are or were GMO tomatoes. At one time they did gene splicing with flounder to get a plant that would set in cool temps. I believe it has been discontinued.

BUT, and I'm repeating myself, GMOs ARE NOT available to the home gardener. There is a lot of paperwork involved and the seeds are very expensive. The only issue is the very small possibility of x pollination. I almost order those seeds just to see if I could get that big a tomato!

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

1lisac... thanks for the info. Good to know :)

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm not against genetic engineering as much as I'm against the pesticides and herbicides that the are bred into the seeds to resist weeds/caterpillars.

I want genetically engineered food to be labeled so I can make an informed choice.

From what I have read, there WAS a modified tomato that had artic fish genes spliced into it, but public concern caused the idea to fail.

Carthage, NC

Hello fellow gardeners, I am extremely excited about my "super sauce tomatoe seeds" this year, i purchased 5 packs from Burpee 5 weeks ago and almost every seed has came up! They are already about 4 inches tall and doing great, it has been cold here longer than usual so they are still in the house everywhere! lol they have a great purplish colored leaf to them also! I started them in the usual seed starting trays, and i have already moved all oof them to large styrofoam cups! VERY EXCITED to watch them grow! and needless to say im already gathering jars! and getting my miracle whip stocked up for my "Mater samiches" lol have agreat day! JERRY

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Jerry - keep us updated on your progress.

Kelowna, BC(Zone 7a)

Hello, I am Michelle~~~I hope I am posting in the right place. I am New here. very new. I have started a Super Italian Paste Tomatoe that is Burpee...........It is growing "under the lights" in my basement. It only has its first new leaves. that are Not nurse leaves. Has anyone tried this previously. For me it is slow to grow. I have grown them in peat pots and I wonder if I let them dry out or/ they are Just slow to grow Can anyone answer from experience~~~?

Kelowna, BC(Zone 7a)

I posted here because I too saw that........."super sauce tomatoe" and later wished; I had tried it; But I am new and certainly will watch and read your responses. It sure looks delicious>!

Colorado County, TX(Zone 8b)

I will try them. Having said that, my 'mainstay' sauce tomato remains to be 'Health Kick', which has 50% more of the beneficial antioxidant lycopen. It is prolific in our garden... we routinely harvest between 3300-3600 pounds of them per year (2-3 meat tubs per day) from 60 plants.

Plantersville, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, W r Ranch. I suppose you have great success because you have plenty of horse manure for your tomato plants. I only have cats & dogs, & I don't think I can use that. And raisin rabbits is out of the question. I have tried raising night crawlers, & they died.

You have to be careful when using manure bc of the herbicides that are used on the feed that the animals eat. If the manure is contaminated it can make your soil useless for years. Also you don't want too much Nitrogen. It will give you beautiful foliage but not much fruit.

I have never had luck even getting Heath Kick past the germination stage. Reading this makes me want to try again. Lol

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

my 1st try of the supersauce germinated only 1 of 6. second try was better 4 of 6. But compared to all my heirloom varieties they look small, weak, and sickly.

Quote from behillman :
Wow, W r Ranch. I suppose you have great success because you have plenty of horse manure for your tomato plants.

I have never used either horse or cattle manure in our gardens, as there are far to many seeds in it & I don't like weeding anymore than I already do. Our soil is just a sandy loam that has been amended with mulch for many years.

Plantersville, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you w_r_Ranch for informing me that I do not have to have that manure. I hate the stuff & I thought my garden was doomed because I didn't have animals. I do put mulch on my garden so I feel like I'm on the right path to having a fruitful garden some day.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't seen Health Kick seeds listed in my usual "seed haunts". Haven't seen it mentioned before either--or maybe I just missed it. w_r_ranch, what is your seed source?

Quote from terri_emory :
I haven't seen Health Kick seeds listed in my usual "seed haunts". Haven't seen it mentioned before either--or maybe I just missed it. w_r_ranch, what is your seed source?

Terri, I usually order our seeds from Reimer Seeds.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/health-kick-tomato.aspx

Burpee also carries them...

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomatoes/saladette/tomato-health-kick-hybrid-prod000992.html

This message was edited Apr 17, 2013 10:09 AM

Here's a picture of a typical day's tomato harvest...

Thumbnail by w_r_ranch
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow and thanks.

Totally tomatoes carries it too.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Well call me stupid but I bought the super sauce seeds. I grow tomatoes to Not as many as Bernie but 140 or so. I didn't know it way a gmo. I am a fisherman so if they taste fishy maybe I won't have to put anchovies on my pizza.

Thumbnail by eweed Thumbnail by eweed Thumbnail by eweed Thumbnail by eweed Thumbnail by eweed

What makes you think it is GMO?

I believe that Burpee lists them as a hybrid, thus they are not genetically modified...

As most of us know, hybrids and genetically modified vegetables are not the same; the difference lies in the DNA. Hybridization happens regularly in nature when closely related species cross-pollinate. Genetic modification only happens in the laboratory because it combines DNA from organisms (plants or animals) outside of a vegetable's species.

I highly doubt that a company would risk a multimillion dollar lawsuit for 'mislabeling' in our current litigious society...

They are hybrids I'm still wondering where it was ever stated that these are GMOs? I really don't want to have a discussion again about GMOs and the fact that they are not available to the home gardener, but I'm wondering where that idea even came from?

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

1lisac there was a lot of suspicious talk of gmo plants at the first of this thread.

I didn't have a problem with germination I think I got 28 out of 30 I shot all my seeds because sweetie77 reported only 1 of 6 came up. By the time my seeds came it was to late to try twice so I planted all 30 seeds expecting a dismal showing what a waste. Oh well I give away a couple hundred plants yearly, may as well add a few more right?.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I have poor germination with Super Sauce as well. I really do think it was a bad lot. I'll try again in fall....I think I'll try those Health Kicks, too.

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

yes Terri, I traded with you and Jo Ann and we all had problems. Burpee never got back to after I emailed 3 times about the seeds!

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

eweed, I just reported back 2 days ago. You said you got 28 of 30 germinated after I posted that. Wow! that was fast germination. Maybe there's something wrong with your seeds as well.... :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.