HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS - Valentine Exchange

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

My valentine is coming along very nicely :) thanks for asking....

Saginaw, MI

Coming along nicely here also!! IF i would stop changing my mind and adding things!!!!

As far as roses for valentines day, I totally agree with you Happ---while cut flowers are beautiful---I also would much rather have the "whole" rose bush to plant in the ground or even a package of bulbs!!!!
Finally , after all these years, got my hubby to go along with that!!! Still get the occasional "cut bouquet" but that's o.k. -- especially when we go for our "nature" walks and he wanders off and comes back with a bouquet of wild flowers/weeds for me---JUST BEAUTIFUL & SO SWEET!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Happ, we are on the same level here, hubby better not bring home any cut flowers. He has been told, if there are any flowers they better be attached to the plant, live and with roots!

Saginaw, MI

Still LOVE the spur of the moment wildflower bouquets---it's surprising how beautiful a small bunch of wild "weeds" can be and the "thought" behind them is wonderful also!!!!

Just happened to have the camera with us this day and "caught" him in the act!!! LOVE IT!!!

Thumbnail by sbish5 Thumbnail by sbish5
(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I love the sweetness of that sbish5. I especially like it when it is the grandkids who bring me the flowers. I have a special pewter vase that holds dandelions as a rule!!!!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

This may sound a little bit out of line but I have a very special request.

My dearest friend as you have read is dying of Ovarian Cancer. I would love to show her that there are others that care about her other then just me.

Is there any way that any or all of you could also send a little valentine card that I could pass on to her for Valentines day.
If you are willing and would be interested in doing this for me and for my fiend Linda I would be for ever grateful.
You could send them to me and I will give them all to her.

I may be way out of line asking this but I just want her to know that she has others that care and understand her plight. Valentines is a day of caring and sharing.
Thanks everyone,

I just spoke with my dear friend this morning and she has made the choice to stop all further chemo and treatments. It is hard to know how to deal with this, but I will try and support her in her choice and just be the best friend I can be. I just hope that this isn't too hard on her or her daughter. I want to just not make it difficult for her but yet I don't want her to die either.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 12:12 PM

Saginaw, MI

You got it Jan! Will pick up a card and get it out to you asap to be sure it reaches you by valentines day. So sorry to hear about your friend--it is a rough thing to go through. We lost our Dad to cancer and I have a sister & a cousin that are fighting breast cancer. Some days are not easy but you just have to take it day by day and hope and pray for the best outcome possible in each situation. Thank goodness Linda has such a great friend as you on her side to help her through this! Prayers go out to you both. Take care. Shirley

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Shirley. Fighting tears, don't cha know.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Oh I love those stories, those are so great, a special vase for those lovely yellow flowers! OMG the thought of picking you a flower bouqet that is too cool and the picture is worth a million.....talk about cherish.

A million years ago when DH and I first got married, we rented an outbuilding.
To get to this outbuilding you had to drive thru a cemetery, down a bluff which passed by a pond, then by a dump, and finally making it all the way down the bluff into the river bottoms..... (Just a note the pond was beautiful always crystal clear and about 1/2 way down the bluff, peacefully looking out over the river bottoms and the Missouri river just an unbelivable spot. Strangest thing tho no one ever fished in it. I finally asked DH why, he took me back up the bluff by the pond and pointed up and said look, when you looked back up the bluff from the pond you saw the cemetery.....the thought of where that water might of came from. was stronger than any of these guys...rofl)
Anyway one year in later part of June DH brings home these flowers in pots that look like that hadn't been watered in weeks......I knew something was odd, well seems the cemetery workers pulled all the flowers off after Memorial Day and threw them in the dump. DH saw some of the pots, wades out into the dump and comes bringing me these flowers that were barely hanging on...rofl. What is that saying It's the thought that counts....LOL

Oh GourdBeader we cross posted and my heart just breaks for you all. Ovarian cancer is such a silent diease until it has gone too far. Such a decision to be made. Hold strong for her and her daughter.

Saginaw, MI

So awesome Barb--handpicked flowers & weeds from the grandkids are the BEST!!!! Their beautiful weeds mean everything to them when they pick them for Grandma (& Grandpa also-my granddaughter picks flowers for Grandpa all the time) . The proud look on their happy little faces as they give them to you is just so adorable!!

And Happ--Those pics are from one of our nature walks -- he wandered off and I just happened to have the camera that day and was on a bridge up above him and took the pic of him without him knowing it!!!!

Did you grow out any of the pots of flowers your DH brought you that day to see what they were??? Strange place to get them from yes, but, yep it is the thought that counts!!! And it's kinda nice to know that they got a "second chance" to grow again thanks to your DH rescuing them from the dump!!!!

sbish - oh that makes the picture even that more precious to say the least. Just to see someone thinking of you in the act with such thought.

As a matter a fact if memory serves me right most of those plants from the dump did make it and what were gone still gave me a pot for starting something else. True recycling...rofl.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I have harvested pots from cemeteries lots of times, not from the graves, but after they were tosses aside. I like to think if those people were gardeners, they would be happy I was getting those pots to use.

Postage goes up January 27. Save money and mail before then!

Gourd ,,,,, I will send card out today for Linda.

Humm will buy more stamps today. My swap buddys package is gonna cost me an arm and 2 legs,,,,,,sigh,,,,,,

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Jan, I would love to send her a valentine card. Patti

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I don't think it's EVER out of place to ask for an act of kindness. I'll try to hurry up and get something extra made to go in the box. I know you were only asking for a card but something "else" would be acceptable I'm sure!

I will get a card put to Linda as well! Do we send to Linda, C/O your address?

I will send it your your address, with attention Linda in the bottom left corner.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you all so much. I went up to see her this evening and she is pretty teary but who wouldn't be. Just hope I can be of help to her in any way that she needs it.

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Jan, I'm happy to get a card for Linda, too. Will pick one up this coming week. And I'll be keeping you, Linda, and her daughter in my prayers. This is certainly a difficult time for all of you.
Oh, and Everyone, remember that Monday is a holiday, Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday.
I pretty much know what I'm going to do for my Valentine, but will have to work on it a bit closer to mailing time :) Well, except perhaps one thing, but I haven't had a chance to work on that yet. Hopefully soon!
Well, my husband doesn't get me flowers very often, so it's quite special when he does. I love having them, whether they come as a flowering plant or as a bouquet :)
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Michelle

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh thank you all for being so understanding. I knew you all would be. I haven't met a member on Dave's that hasn't been kind and understanding. Guess that's why Dave's is like my extended family.

So glad everyone is having a great time on this exchange. I just warms my heart and the heart on my furry friend, Baxter's nose.

Check out the heart on the end of his nose.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Same here. I am estranged from my family so this is my family!!

Awe, I love the heart on Baxters nose!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Isn't that the cutest nose? He didn't have it as a puppy so I guess it just shows how much he has been loved.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Sooo cute!!!

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

He is adorable!!! Lots of good lovin' there!!

Baxter is a fine looking Pug! Does your Baxter SHED like crazy??? My sister's pug should be BALD it sheds so bad.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, yes, he does as well as Phoebe being a lab but Baxter is a Puggle. Pug and Beagle but if it wasn't so dang cold I would give him a hair cut. I just have to run a wire grooming brush though them both every day and that helps but if you don't like dog hair don't come to our house. Sorry heheh

Well, he sure is beautiful!!! I wish I was a better housekeeper and had less cat hair here but it ain't happen'. I actually have a friend who is allergic to cats so we meet at a DIFFERENT friend's house. My friend's son in law is VERY allergic to cats, so it's just not feasible for me to visit at their house for fear cat hair that clings to ME pollutes the house. oh well... I'm just very careful my family is not allergic to my cat.

Ok Jan, so you LOVE carmels and hate nuts... how do you feel about chocolate?

What about the rest of you... carmels WITH nuts or without? I can't think of anything that nuts don't make even better!!!

I got to "go to town" (an hour away) and shop a little, came home with supplies and the rest of what I need to finish my Valentine. I want to get it shipped out on Tuesday. I bought Linda's Valentine at the same time so it should ALL be ready then.

Saginaw, MI

AAWWW Baxter is a sweetie!! Love the "heart" nose!!! Better not let Phoebe see that Baxter has a photo on here--might be some jealousy happening!!! We have a 110 lb chocolate lab and a black & white cat (long hair) that we rescued from the pound for my son for Christmas two years ago , and you want to talk about animal hair????? WOW , even with brushing them, when you have hard wood floors it is awful!!! Such is the life when you LOVE your animals!!!! You put up with lots & do anything for them just like your kids!!!!

Got part of my valentine gift completed and still working on more!! Need to stop adding to it!!!

Thunder, Lightening, &Rain & Snow mixed early this morning/middle of the night!!!!! Wow!! Hubby took son to work at 3 a.m. and said some of the roads are quite slippery! Yuck--thank goodness spring will soon be here!!!

Sbish5, I have your matching lab, Sam...rof. Is your black? Someone dumped him, he weighs 120lbs. We tried to put him on calorie restrictions but then he started eating wild animals so we stopped that....geehz. Talk about a sweetie but makes sure no one enters without us knowing. We also have a basset hound named Slick, and wire terrier from the pound Shortie, currently 3 cats, my Moms cat who is about 90, my sisters cat, and my black cat.....13 trained pet chickens, 6 pet ducks, and fish in a water garden....can you tell I live out of the city....rofl. Yeap bassets shed like crazy, a million years ago use to have a st. bernard and I really think her hair was better than the basset hound.. Sounds like we have a big group of animal lovers.

Love nuts in about everything...

I think so too, we now have a 1 year old German shepherd, Luna, and she is such a sweetie, but even her short hair sheds! She will be coming home with a cone on her head Friday!

Thumbnail by taters55
Saginaw, MI

Wow Happ!! Sounds like my house a few years back!! We literally had a "mini" zoo with snakes,lizards,hedgehogs,hermit crabs,chinchillas,rabbits,dogs,cats,birds,turtles,fish,and everything inbetween!! But with 5 kids(1 girl and 4 boys) all loving animals what can I say!!! When our youngest son was in preschool his class actually went on a walking field trip(we lived 3 blocks from school) to come to our house to see all the animals!!! But no more--we now only have the dog(pic below is her and our oldest granddaughter laying under the pine tree looking for BATS!) and the cat(pic below is her "chillin" in one of her favorite spots )!!!

And, for the Valentine exchange--as far as chocolate goes--ANYTHING goes--with me , hubby, and 3 boys left in the house what one doesn't like the other does!!! And I suppose I have to share RIGHT????

Thumbnail by sbish5 Thumbnail by sbish5
Saginaw, MI

BEAUTIFUL shepherd Linda!! What is she having done that she needs the cone??? Poor things look sooo sad with those things on!!!

We are gonna have her fixed.

Love that lab! Looksd like he is a love, and a great protector?

Pat, anything here for Valentines too, I love nuts in chocolate, fudge, caramels, ice cream...

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is Phoebe. I don't want her to get left out. She only weighs 105 lbs. Just a little bit of a girl. But Baxter can still take her down. He does a grab and snatch. He runs around to her tail and bites and she lets go of the toy and snatches it up and runs.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Pugs are such smart little Beasties, and FEARLESS beyond their size!! Phoebe is a pretty girl.

Saginaw, MI

Jan--your Phoebe is so pretty & looks like a "huge" baby just like our Sadie!! Boy, she really tried my patience when she was a pup, but now she is the BEST dog ever!! She was my husbands birthday present and was supposed to be his hunting partner--well guess that didn't work out cuz she got babied too much by everybody!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.