Seed starting spring 2013

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The ol time gardeners I know in Lucketts always start their peas on St Patricks Day. I'll have to tell them their counterparts in another area go by Valentines Day - I'll see what they have to say about that LOL

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol Terri. Come to think of it one of my legs is longer than the other!

Jill, when I say here I mean I am more an 8a zone and earlier than Sallyg just up the road and definitely Gita. I'm a mile from the Bay makes the difference, and no elevation.

First daffodil blooming today in my yard! Short, fitful dormancy again this year. Garlic up three inches.

Other secret to long pea season is succession planting every two weeks and varieties planted from early to late maturing. The Eastern Shore used to be where Birdseye flash froze all their peas! Or was it Green Giant? (I met the man who was the voice of the Green Giant, Little Oscar, too)

(Where do I learn all these things and why do I remember them?)

Always sing that Pete Seeger song "Inch by inch , and row by row, God bless these seeds I sow" when I first start planting in Spring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u90qRE2F7CM

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

LOL, coleup!! I love that you are full of these things. They brighten my day!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, St. Pat's it is, then. I've got some odd peas to try this year -- golden and blue ones from Summer Hill Seeds. Have to check those days-to-maturity on my favorite Sugar Snaps, too... wonder if I could get a crop of them into the veggie bed right along where I intend to put tomatoes this year? Even if they weren't quite done when the 'mater plants go in, that would be OK...

Warrenton, VA

Well, I'm going to start some of my seeds this weekend. I've studied all the charts and "destructions" that are on the seed packets, and so, Tomatoes will be the first to start. I have a HUGE CASE OF SPRING FEVER. How very fortunate I am that I have a garden for vegetables - it is my very own!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm trying to start seeds that would be interesting to the people that will be coming to the swap in May. I need to have Blushing Susie or African Sunset vines, I'm sure. I bought 5 Vigna Caracalla seeds again. Maybe I'll have luck with them this year. I was successful only once and the blooms and fragrance were heavenly. I have some Agastache Apache Sunset going. Of course I'm struggling with the Lisianthus again (lime, pink, blue, yellow and ivory). Last year I put the vines under lights very early. Needless to say I haven't started them yet because of the vines that I had growing up the walls last year. I'd like to know some of the "wants" for the swap so that I can get them started now. Rushing things, am I?? Oh, Joy....Spring is just around the corner!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Roses, I would like one of your Blushing Susie Vines. They always look so beautiful.

I always reserve one for you, Holly. One year the seeds did not produce "BLushing". They were mostly yellow. This year I'm trying African Sunset which has more color.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

THe last few sunny days have been so bright and promising- I completely understand your joy!!

I'd be tickled to have an Ag Apache Sunset if you have enough at swap time.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--

I had one from Roses last year. It looked pretty pitiful when I got it--but it did grow out
nicely. Not too many blooms, though. That was a bummer...It picked up a bit near the end of summer.
I grew it in a pot--so maybe that was the problem.
Yurs looked amazing, Holly. Yours was, most likely, set into a pile of your compost. YUMMM.

Did you gather any seeds from it? I did--you know me--I gather seeds from everything...
I do not have enough to put on my Trade List--but I have enough to give you some--if you want.

I did take some cuttings last fall. There were so many new vines growing out all over the place.
Most of them rooted, but than, over the off and on care I give anything, all but two petered out.

The two are doing well--at least they have a full root system. Not much top growth.
One "runner" on each that I have had to cut back as it wanted to twine around all kinds of things.
Not sure I want to grow it again. There just wasn't enough bloom. I only have 2 pots I could grow it in,
and the one is in sparse AM sun--need something for shade there. Ideas??? something on a small trellis...
The other one will, most likely, have my Moon Vine growing in it. This is a pot by my steel pole in the middle
of my back lawn. The pole holds my laundry lines. I hang my Epis from it every year.

It is always such a priority shuffle in my garden...what to plant where....how to divvy up the space I have...
I have to deny myself things I would like to have--as I have no space.

This was in September of last year. All green......

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OOOOPS--Wrong picture!!!!

Here is the blushing Suzy vine...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

The Blushing Suzie vines are very spindly in the seeding pot, but given full sun and plenty of water they begin blooming not before mid summer then go all the way to the end.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED

I had Black eyed susan one year and it did OK, it was in a moist, AM shade pm sun, spot. Reminds me I have seeds I can pack up for tomorrow.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Roses--

It was seeing pictures like yours, that made me want the Blushing Suzy vine.
Mine--being in a pot, above ground and in full sun just did not bloom much.

May I, please, copy your 2nd picture out for my records? Thank you. Gita

Of course, Gita.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just love the BSV growing with the blue MG. That looks so very good together.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

sally--

Quick question....
The Amaranth you gave me seeds of--should that be WS'ed? or--can I just start them
like other annuals. Is it an annual? biennial?
How tall will this one grow.

Thanks, Gita

Just plant later along with summer annuals. It is annual. It can get very tall- 7 feet?

Every day I seem to find more seeds to buy. Today I couldn't resist"

Agastache Cana Heather Queen and Penstemon Red Rock

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally,
SEVEN FEET TALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mamma Mia!

Would you have a picture of it? G.

I have to look way back to 2007 threads if I can even find picture.

Awful purdy, Roses!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Is this seed from 2007 then?
I could not read the smudged writing on the baggie. it was red marker--all faded.

I do not know if I have a place for anything 7' tall. I thought it might be the 3'-4' tall ones...

I will try PF. G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My pansies are up,lettuce was sown. Just started Beef steak, Linbaum Legacy, a couple cherry tomatoes; Roman and hybrid broccoli, Kolrobi,cabbage,and Brussels sprouts; sweet mix and holy mole peppers; Foxgloves and snapdragons. Turned a dreary day bright! Ric

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This was in PF. Is this it???

Sorry! That will not do for me. It is not only huge--but takes up
the space of a small shrub. ]o(

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/137186/

ric Yay!

Gita yes, though mine grew one main stalk so was tall and narrow. Please discard the seed then Your birds might eat it. I have another baggie if I decide to start some.

Great way to cheer yourself up, Ric. I'm cheered up just reading about it.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Ah Roses, Spring will be here soon! I'll let you know when it passes by here on its way to you

Ric, It's not on my 'bucket list' but I've always wanted to know someone who grew Kolrabi!

Getting even 'diffused' sunlight/Vitamin D helps with the winder doldrums, too.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2013 12:17 AM

So right about the effect of sunshine, Coleup. We have an unheated covered deck room that can get really warm and toasty when the sun is shining. Among other things there are 2 anti gravity chairs in there where we snooze and read while bathed in sunshine.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Seeds are poppin' after 6 days in some cases and cuttings are rooting. These plants are anticipating spring as much as I. Ric

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Dah! I forgot the pics. Tee,Hee,Hee! Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

While I wait for the sun I think I may go to the GH and start some more herbs and flowers. Today's weather and bright sun demand some outside work. Ric

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes--it would be nice if i had done some outdoor stuff...like dig up my Daffs....

I just went grocery shopping at BJ's (instead (that's almost 2hrs worth) and some other places as well.
My excuse to NOT do what should be done....Avoidance behavior........;o{

Now i am tired....but have to put everything away. Just had to sit down for a while.
G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I got most of my herbs started, as well as Holly's Daturas and Castor beans. Ric

I have found that attempting to root Gesneriaceae, the family of streps and A.violets in oasis is not very successful. After 2 months there is not even the slightest nub of a root, it did form a callus but stopped there. My opinion is that the oasis is providing all the necessary moisture and food to sustain the cutting. I have them in a domed propagation container, as recommended, so there is very little or no stress. I moved some to Pro-mix as well as a few A.violets. All are now in the same enviorment and I'll let ya'll know what develops.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric--I have NO problem rooting AV leaves. In about 4 months--they are sending up babies
f rom the stem below the soil.
I use hi-domed, plastic produce/fruit containers. All in one little GH.

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

is your green house outside ? and what kind is it?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't mean to be abrupt, but here's the story. Ric http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243490/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Orchidfancy, I must say that I just love our GH. Please follow the link Ric posted so you can see it while he was putting it up. So far it seems to be a good size for us. In another month or so we may just run out of space and have to use back up space in the garage. I have used that area in the past before the GH was put up.
Ric put up a couple of boards up on the support poles he added for extra support, hanging baskets and just this reason.
He has a few flats up there along with that lovely fern. He is down there right now separating a small pot of mondo grass he picked up last fall. He is dividing it into small pieces to propagate it.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I separated a pot of black liriope that I bought last fall just for that purpose and got 12 starts. The dwarf mondo grass I got at a GH meeting I got 12 starts from. The varigated mondo grass I got from the Elizabethan Gardens has not recovered from dormancy well enough to seperate. All 3 pots were just brought into the GH a week ago. All three varieties are good for borders or buffers for beds and the dwarf can be naturalized around stepping stones.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

WOnderful that you are both enjoying the greenhouse so much!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm curious to hear how your dwarf mondo grass does. I got some once and it just sat there for years. Finally I stopped paying attention to it and it has probably disappeared.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.