What's happening in your neck of the woods 2013 !!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Good for you "M" now you'll not be fretting.

The next 3 or 4 days will have March weather then back to winter weather by next week.

Didn't sleep half the night and now I'm ready for a nap..keeping myself extra busy painting on the quilt strips, ought to take me a week or so.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

WHOOSH !!!!!!! Quite the day here .. W I N D Y ~~~ 70kph winds, but, we went out and pruned some apple trees .. best time to do it as no disease can penetrate the cuts .. did 2 trees, only 5 left !!!
The dogs and cat had the best idea though (see attached pictures ) !!

Absolutely LOVE the Morning Glories !!! Wonderful job Betty

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Now that is spoilt..life of Riley for sure.
Do you think it's the same for all fruit trees "M". Hadn't thought of pruning at this time of year.

Winds are strong here as well..amazed that with mild temps, winds just how much the snow has compacted. Decided Sunday I wasn't strong enough, re back to shovel the walkway and deck out in front, anyone that comes anyway uses Bach entrances, well glad I didn't because with these temps it's all but clear.

Kyle was over to tell me all about his trip to the Dominican..they sure did enjoy their time.

As for the morning glories I painted 1 yesterday, 6 today, 22 left, hoping I don't lose interest or that once done I will not like it.

OH Betty, the Morning Glories are just SO pretty ^_^
A wonderful choice, and, blue is calming.

Lorna says pruning in winter keeps disease and bugs at bay .. she pruned (hard pruned) non producing apple trees 4 years ago, and, last year we were giving their fruit away !!

Good to hear your snow has gone ..

Murray and family head for the Dominican in Feb. they can hardly wait, have been before, but, are going for a longer time this year.

Winds have gone here .. a bit cooler, but, a high of +6C expected ..

Piper is on the window bench behind me snoring away, Lilly is in her 'bun' in front of the woodstove with Smokey in his bun beside her .. life of Riley for sure ^_^

Enjoy your day

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning,

Actually feels colder here in the office than outside..called maintenance to come and check re heat..usually use a micro heater but it bit the dust and just when I need it. Sitting here with jacket on.

You will never believe what I did, not worrying about turning 65 on March 2nd, means I'm a few months older than I am now but this morning while searching for my 407 ETR bill I found a letter from Old Age Security saying I hadn't applied as yet and time was at a premium so brought it in, filled it out and will go to post office on my lunch hour and post it special delivery..what a thing to forget.

Am sure your family will enjoy their holiday, know Greg and family did..I think of everything they could have bought with the $$$ they spent, payment for 1/2 a car etc. but sometimes you just cannot think that way.

Good luck with the OAS, have heard their pretty fast though, perhaps 6 weeks ?

So hoping Murray and family will have a good time .. they are bringing school supplies and clothing for a school somewhere .. they are travelling with 2 other couples and their children as well, so, they'll be seeing a different side of the Dominican Republic, worries me a bit. Murray has such a big heart and a trusting nature, would hate to see him get duped by someone.

Well .. i HAD to take some pics today, BEFORE we get out HUGE snowfall (Have looked everywhere online to SEE it, but, nadda)
The pics tell our NO snow tale.
It was 45F outside this afternoon !!
My brother has a home on the shores of Lake Superior and tells me the Lake is WIDE open !!! Unreal for January ..
I am keeping my fingers crossed we just get a LITTLE snow !!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Yikes "M" we have more snow than you but not by much, am sure after the weekend with them calling for rain and springlike temps that will be the end of it until a cold spell moves in..sooo odd.

Not much more than 3" of ice near shoreline, imagine the ice fisherman are bringing in their huts, snowmobile trails closed, my kids are not happy campers. Lol

Well I figure that I wouldn't get pension during my birthday month so that gives them an extra month. Doesn't really matter as my OMERS pension and OAS signed a deal so both will be reduced..got to tell you, doesn't seem fair, no vote just signing by executives and government officials. Only real benefit will be some of my meds will be paid for.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Oh Betty - I forgot - you're a Pisces too!
Bob is March 6th, and I'm March 11th! Remember how the last 2 years members of our church got together (all the Pisces/March babies that is) and had a birthday party at the Community Club Pub?
It was so much fun!! We have 6 of us!! And a couple wanna-be's LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

Omg, just saw the news, were saying somewhere on the East coast of Canada a dam broke, showing a van on the street that sits with water to top of windows, thank goodness they say no casualties..

Yep, we're Pisces babies..lol

How is work going for you and Bob?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Bob likes his job, and it's nice we go to work at same time.
I have 3 more weeks, but they haven't interviewed anyone yet. Who knows...... maybe I'm still in the running, but I will NOT get my hopes up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm determined not to.......!
I will enjoy the job while I have it :-)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning,

Just about to have my coffee, raining, need to go to back shed but must wait for daylight. Funny how Christmas keeps popping up in every room, that I had everything and now I need another tote.

Just deleted everything on outlook express from when I left for Florida to now on both my laptop and home computer, ready now to work from home..guess it will be a sewing day lol

No big plans for the weekend, SIL Linda says she might come early tomorrow morning to work on her rag quilt..nothing like teaching someone to sew and they want to do a big project to start with..I'm sure she will do fine..other than that, nada, not a thing..just plain old relaxation!

Glad Susan that Bob likes his job and here is hoping that they keep you on..you both deserve a break.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

My DH is also a Pisces - Feb. 25.

Susan .. nice to hear the jobs are liked and still continuing ..

Everything is on HOLD here .. had freezing rain overnight, the teachers (elementary) were to 'walk out' today, but that is now cancelled, so, as you can imagine, it's a completely CONFUSING day in TBAy .. folks have gotten sitters etc, but, the Minister of Education has said a fine of $2000. PER teacher will be levied if they walk out!!
That said, the weather has closed rural schools .. listening to the radio for updates is a real challenge to say the least .. so many road closures/school closures/day care facilities not avaiable .. glad I don't have anyone in school .. my son is trying to sort it all out as Brooklyn goes to Public high school, and, Austin goes to a Catholic Elementary school ..
All I know is I was supposed to go into town to sit with a hospice client having a couple of blood transfusions, and, I'm going to have to RE think that ..

TGIF everyone

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well ViolaAnn, he's in good company then.

"M" no freezing rain here, thankfully...coming down at a heavy pace though..I went to back shed to get totes to fill and set back on the shelves that were made this fall and while carrying them I said to myself 'self, and now you wonder why you have a bad back' aren't we hard on ourselves..

Can you reschedule "M"

Well .. I did go in to the hospital and sit with the lady, but, i gotta tell ya, it was a horrible drive into the city!
I am a 20 minutes drive from the hospital, it took me 40 minutes due to the slippery and treacherous conditions.
I thought about turning back several times, but felt it would be unsafe .. the ONLY good thing was the fact that there were NO school buses on the roads !!
Once I got to the hospital all was well, and I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 hours of chit chat with my client .. a younger woman fighting breast cancer .. had lots to talk about, AND, she is a crafter, so Betty, your quilt you're making was right up her alley. She had not heard of painting the material and has conjured up a few templates she would like to look for.

The roads were better on the way back, but, I can imagine if this rain freezes (which it will) it is going to be horrifying.
BUT, at least the 30cm of snow predicted will skirt us YAYAYAYA ..

Off to play a game of cards

~M~

PS .. my friend Nat pulled a muscle in her forearm lifitng up a Xmas tote !!! That was on Jan. 2 and she is still suffering !!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sorry you had to deal with bad roads but am sure you got such gratification out of spending time with the young woman..will include her in my prayers..hope she will overcome this!

How cute you speaking of my interests with her...can you provide me with her address, do you think she would object to getting a card??

my work shift is over, have a few more totes to bring back, know I shouldn't but do want it done before this spring like weather turns to winter blizzards then I'll kick myself for not doing so.

If I weren't so lazy I'd get dressed and go next door to pick up a meal of some kind but not likely to happen lol

Terri is a wonderful lady .. she's about 35 I'd guess .. if I see her again (I was a fill in) I will ask re the card.
She comes into TBay from an outlying small town a few hours away by car.
She had chemo last week and her white blood cells fell,ergo the blood transfusion which always perks her up. We never actually speak of her prognosis, and that's fine by me .. she is a 'forward and positive' thinker, has a 5 year old daughter and her husband is such a great guy .. personally, I think she is doing very well ..
As I said, unsure of when I'll see her next, must see if she has an email address.

Grilled cheese sandwiches here tonight .. this darned rain has made soup and a sandwich seem like a full course supper .. the backyard is just FULL of water .. the dogs are NOT too thrilled with that .. Piper went booting out the back door a bit ago and before anyone could warn him he was KERSPLASH in the puddle, lucky Lilly had hung back a bit ..

Lorna won one vard game, and I won the other, so everyone is happy ^_^

Enjoy your evening

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ok - loving my job (they're giving me more stuff to do, in line with my skillset), and the HR rep is "short listing" for the position. They ended the posting today.
IN THE MEANTIME........ I'm got an interview with another company (6 blocks from where I am now....), also Oil & gas, and a 3 person office - President/CEO, and VP of Engineering. I would be their one and only admin support - I Like That......! And when they're travelling, I would need to find things to do when it's quiet in the office.
Here's the company: http://www.panafricanoil.ca/
I would start doing 3 days/week, until it picked up a little and I got the job permanently - not bad!

Anyway - heading out soon. Got a restaurant gift cert for Christmas from my DD & DSILfor dinner out, and Bob & I are going to go out for dinner :-)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Susan - I hope one of those jobs works out to be exactly what you want for a long term. Have to admit, I get slightly dizzy trying to keep track of what job you are currently in.

Marilynne - people were a bit confused here about whether the kids had school or not too. In the end, the schools agreed to occupy any kids who were dropped off, but they weren't really having classes as the buses had been cancelled and all ... My DGtwins are in the separate system; so weren't affected.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol VAnn........ you outta try living my dizzy life!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Could almost put on shorts..

Did a clean up in craft room this morning before my company comes, one should have been here by now, running 1/2 hr late...I just could not believe how much snow we've lost..I then came inside and saw the blizzard in Newfoundland, omg they are getting it all!!

Susan, did you enjoy your meal out, any meal I don't have to cook I enjoy..

ViolaAnn, you gave me my first chuckle of the day. Lol

I tend to think that the repercussions from yesterday 'education fiasco', at least here in TBay, are going to be far reaching.
The teachers WERE to man picket lines, but then tried to call it off due to the order by the Minister of Education. In the meantime, Mother Nature superceded everyone by dropping mega amounts of rainy and causing school closures due to poor driving conditions. It was a real guessing game, and, I know a lot of parents were caught having to call in sick to stay home with their children.

Susan .. one thing about your employment, it's NEVER boring !!! Hope dinner was great ^_^

Betty, anything special on the craft table today? Is it quilts ?
It's balmy here, and wet, but, a grand plummet in temps is expected this afternoon, leaving us in the deep freeze (-19C overnight)
Took my meds last evening, and, NOT feeling all that well :-(
This is the third dose, tummy is queasy and my head is just not tacked on right .. a good day to do the minimum of whatever ..

Enjoy your day

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - I could do with a little more........ boring....... in my life. I envy those who, when asked about their life, say "same old thing"...... My life is a roller coaster of everything.

Right now I'm learning how to make a banner of my own, in the other room lol
I want to do a special one for Dorothy.......... siiiiiiigh

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh, as to the dinner - nothing special. Went to Swiss Chalet, and we sat under an a/c vent going full blast...... poor Bob was freezing, and when we told the waitress she said "The door was opened". Yes, it was cold outside - minus 15c, but we weren't anywhere near the door. He finally had to put on his outer coat (and he was wearing a flannel shirt, anyway!).
Took forever to get seated, our order, and then Bob went out to heat up the car and I finally had to sit down while waiting to pay........
Food was decent, but nothing special. Bob hardly spoke during the meal at all, cuz he was so uncomfortable.
The booth we were at was so small, anyone bigger than I would have a terrible time getting in......... cramped.... Even slender Bob had trouble getting seated. Obviously they were trying to get as many seats in a finite space as they could.
Don't think we'll be going there again......
Plus side - we didn't get an expensive dinner, so have over 1/2 of the gift cert to go to one of the other restaurants on it! :-)
AND we still have 2 gift certs for us to go to the movies!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all...finally settled myself down for the night, had a great day with the
girls. I did not sew, was overseer today. Lol

Linda did a rag quilt and Rita did tops for 12 placemats..think had she not got called home early due to unexpected accompany she would have finished them.

Reached 54 here today..imagine. I would think we might have broken a record..must listen to the news and see.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get my hair cut, go to home depot..want woos cut for a cutting turntable, wood for base for an ironing pad..if I succeed in doing so I will be thrilled with weekend accomplishments.

Monday I will get back to my sewing/ painting project...

This education fiasco is getting out of hand. Don't know what the answer is.

Sorry Susan that your evening out wasn't the best...who has A/C on at this time of year?

Pain meds starting to make me drowsy so saying

Night/night all

Betty .. good to hear the craft day went well ^_^, and 54F, really unheard of .. we had those temps for 2 days and sent them to you LoL
NOW.. we're back to frigid !! No snow though, were to have rec'd 30cm, got maybe 70 flakes !!

Susan .. last summer we took Lorna's folks to Swiss Chalet on a very warm day, and, were seated right under an AC vent .. same thing, it was wonderful for a few minutes, but then it became annoying. We told the waiter, he tried to have it dealt with, but, never did .. I tend to think these thermostats in places like Swiss Chalet must have to be adjusted by a manager who has been told NOT to adjust them ?
As long as the meal was good, I guess that makes up for it.

Still feeling kinda crummy, head is woozy (ish) .. given the other side effects though, I'll take this one ..

Off to do some laundry, slowly !!

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

unfortunately the waitress did not try to adjust it, and her poor service meant "no tip"! The food was, at best, decent. My hairdresser, and another one, said they would never frequent this particular Swiss Chalet restaurant because of the food.....
Anyway, it was a night out...... I always enjoy this time with my DH!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Early morning ,

Going through this no sleep thing again..
Listening to the rain, almost hearing a chunk of ice hit against the wndow, here is hoping it turns to snow...feeling bad for ski lodges, ice hut fishermen and snowmobilers.

"M' you have been feeling better since taking the meds, at least you seem to be getting back into a daily outine, just too bad you have to contend with side effects..when is the new appliance coming in?

Seems that I have symptoms as I take the doses. First 2 Fridays, nothing really, but, now that the methotrexate is IN my system, I am having this 'dizzy head' thing for a day or 2. It's manageable though.

Appliances arrive on Wednesday 'sometime', between 8am and 4pm .. I usually get a call about an hour before they arrive ..
Pulled the old fridge out yesterday, lordie, dusty under there or what !! Anyway, it's all cleaned up, and, on KIJIJI, I never did get any satisfaction at all with the Ontario Power Authority coming to pick it up and take it away and recycle it. No one would give me a date for the fridge to be picked up. Not even a MONTH !! I sure don't want the fridge hanging around.
Kind of excited, but, feeling kind of stressed re removing everything from the old fridge .. it's SO cold out everything would freeze if placed in boxes outside .. I guess most of it can go into the other fridge in the garage ...
Gonna be interesting ..

Lorna has a late afternoon docs appt, and, since Gord is off to a meeting around 6pm, Lorna and I are going to go to Swiss Chalet for supper .. since it's the ONLY one in TBay I'm sure it'll be OK .. have been there a couple of other times, and, except for the A/C thing last summer, all was OK.

C O L D here !!!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Was -2 coming in, am sure quite a bit cooler as the winds are just a howling.

You'll enjoy the new model "M"' don't you think as we age changes put us in a flutter.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Susan - you need to contact the manager and tell him/her exactly why you won't be returning to the restaurant. If they hear that from enough people, they will start to do something about it. I believe the facts show that for everyone who actually complains there are many more who just take it.

For me, I'm about to contact McDonalds head office about the local outlet - new building, only a couple of years old. It has rebranded itself as a McCafe and offers a senior price on coffee which is actually better than the coffee at the Tim's next door. BUT there is only ONE disabled parking spot. And they've been lax on snow removal for it. First, there should be at least two. Secondly, people shouldn't be at risk trying to get out of their cars. Last Tuesday, one friend who qualified for the spot parked farther out in the parking lot because she couldn't get out of her car.

I complained to staff at the restaurant and they tried to put blame on property management. As I was complaining, another lady (not part of our group) spoke up and said that she was actually parked there and fell trying to get out of her car.

On Thursday, it was the same. I asked for the name of their property management and was told that I had been given wrong information on Tuesday and that they were responsible and the next time I came, the spot would be shoveled out. WELLL, we did a drive by yesterday (after 2 days of real warm weather). The snow was reduced, but only from melting. The rest of it was still there.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 11:16 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Think ViolaAnn too many of us do same, rather than complain we just say oh-well and the service/food remains the same..

How have the temps in your neck of the woods been?

My 'BUG A BOO' to the max is the lack of SAFE access to handicap parking spots. Trust me, many letters to the editor, talks with property managers, and, I have discoverd that the world is filled with people who are SO amazing at pointing a finger at SOMEONE ELSE !! Maddening. I have even written and spoken with one of our MPPs. He was 'looking into it' Hmmmmmmmmmm .. that was LAST year!!
Today we will go to Lorna's docs appt. There are about 8 handicap spots, usually ALWAYS filled even without the sticker in the window.
And, I would imagine, slippery conditions. I carry my own container of sand in the SUV now ..

Last blueberry pie of the season made this morning, no more berries left ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now you have my mouth watering..

I'd be calling management to have them removed if no sticker.

Went to Swiss Chalet for an early supper .. we were the only people in there (4pm) awesome service, and, when we left, we were shown a website to access to take part in a survey with regards to 'out experience .. Susan, did you receive one ? It's on the receipt.

Talk about a BANNER day re parking/appts and traffic .. we were 20 minutes early for her appt, and, they took her right away. We got a very nicely sanded handicap parking spot, and, the traffic in the city was very light !!!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wow, got to love those days!

I've already had bath, pain meds and laying on a heating blanket..so much for being energetic.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I just put a terrible review re: Swiss Chalet on TripAdvisor.
Thanks for mentioning it, VAnn!
We don't keep receipts (we can see what we spent on our online banking) cuz we don't want extra paper. So, I don't have the survey..... shame, because it would have been good to give feedback.
When I got my hair cut Saturday, and said we'd gone to Swiss Chalet, the other hairdresser said she wouldn't go to the one we went to cuz she thought it's where she got food poisoning....... At that point she didn't know which one we went to.....

Have been into town and back, coffee with friends and then lunch with colleagues .. boy, is it cold with that darned north wind !!
We are 'sipposedly' in line for snow, I don't even pay much attention anymore. Have started to refer to the Weather Channel as the "Whatever Channel', had I listened to them last weekend, we should have still been out shoveling!
Gordon bought 5 bails of straw to put on the septic field for insulation. In 25 years we have never had to do THAT !!

Akk .. food poisoning at Swiss Chalet .. I hope your hairdresser reported it .. most folks won't ..

Off to the landfill site with garbage .. be still my heart !!

^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now there's something exciting for you to do "M", garbage site lol
Cold here as well, still sitting with my jacket, can't seem to warm up..think I'll be sitting in the tub adding boiling water when I get home.
my life is exciting as yours, tonight I get to play t.v. bingo

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

~M~ I don't know if she reported it or not. Was another hairdresser/associate of my hairdresser, so I don't know her all that well. I hope she did, too!
btw I found the receipt from Swiss Chalet, so I filled in their comments survey...... at the end they gave me a code to put on my receipt so I can get a free Soup, Salad, or Perogies when I buy another dinner. Have 22 days to use it......
I don't know if I will go to Swiss Chalet (dinners out cost $$ ya know......) but certainly will NEVER go to the one we went to the other night!
There was a place on the survey to have them call or email me regarding the survey, so I gave both my # and email....... maybe a free dinner out of it? These are franchised of course, and if they're not watching the franchise well enough anything can happen!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.