Planning for Spring, 2013

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Here's the link to my seed-starting process:
http://allthingsplants.com/blogs/entry/136/

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Won't microwaving it kill the "good" as well as the "bad" stuff in the Root Organics?

You know, I never really thought past having a sterile medium to start the seeds in. I really don't know. But, from what I observed last season when I used it for the first time, I had the fattest, healthiest seedlings I ever grew before. I attribute it to all the amendments in the mix.

In fact, I got upset because the seedlings were growing too fast! It was still too cold to pit them out, but they were taking off in the Roots.

Here're my seed trays from 10 o'clock last night. You can see the condensation in the bags. There's also a good amount of heat trapped inside, too. The first time I used this method, I stuck my hand inside a bag to adjust a fallen tag, and was surprised by the heat I felt on my hand! No burn, LOL, but enough heat to surprise me!

Linda

Having trouble with uploads...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

No matter what you do all that is still there, unless you burn the medium or mix to carbon, That just gives seeds and ,or seedlings a jump start before they all return to strength,
As you know anything bad in there is not going to bother a healthy plant , there are only a few that ever do for all the number of living or Organic organisms .
KINDA like if you "cook melt" a lettuce leaf everything in the leaf is still there, just different until you grow the lettuce again.

I just remember last season we had a thread about RO vs other seed starting methods. I use a sterile medium (nothing added) and it was determined that RO has amendments in it. I was just wondering if the amendments would be affected by the microwave. Just thinking.....

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

not if they arent overnuked, excited atoms are heat. Definition of radiation is energy given off of an object, light- heat- and gamma thru xrays which can be blocked anywhere from paper thick to foot thick substances. Your microwave is simply heating not irradiating. Doesnt take many seconds to heat to desired temps and moisture increases speed of heat

Gymgirl posted that she put the used RO in the microwave to heat it up and to sterilize it. I assumed that if it was sterilized it would kill everything. I have heard of a lot of people who do this, I never have.

I guess I used the term "sterilize" a bit loosely.

My main goal was to nuke any critters that had made a winter home in my mix, or maybe kill any eggs that had been laid in what came in from outside and got dumped in the recycle bin.

I've sorta figured out that I don't actually kill every microorganism living in the mix. I'd burn up the bowl and the microwave! I settled on 20 minutes in the microwave as a compromise to baking it in the oven for as long as is recommended. I think it was about 2 hours or so?

Anyways, I'm doing this partly by informed instinct, and mostly by the past observations I've made watching what the seeds and seedlings do in the mix. I keep a loose track of where the recycled mix came from. If it was full of pillbugs outside when I dumped it at the end of the season, well, I might nuke it the whole 20 minutes and cover it so it streams for another 10 minutes or so. If it was mix that never made it outside at all, I might nuke it only 15 minutes, really to just heat it up for the heat.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what I'm doing.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2013 12:14 AM

Finally, seed trays...notice the condensation built up inside, 24 hours later.

These are on the floor in the "warm" room.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

15 seconds is what I USED to use on a tub of ice cream so I didn't bend any spoons :)

Yep. 15 SECONDS on that ice cream! LOL!

Which reminds me that, now that I finally have a freezer, I can BUY ice cream again!

Bad, bad, bad, Kitty....

This message was edited Jan 2, 2013 10:03 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Linda, do you have a problem with mold or anything growing on the pots from being in the baggie with the condensation or do you not leave them in the bags too long?

Steph,

I've never had mold. I did have a tiny bit of some white fuzzy stuff that tried to creep last season. Dr. Carolyn advised that it was probably an airborne something-or-other that had landed on the soil, but it wouldn't hurt anything. So, I just gently scraped it away (you could use a toothpick or cotton swab...), and it stopped.

After about 3 days, I watch the trays very carefully (I've had germination in as few as 5 days). Once the very first seedling pops in a tray, that entire tray is uncovered and shoved underneath the fluorescent lights, which barely clear the tops of the seedlings at all times.

I TOP-WATER the cells with 1 capful of Hydrogen Peroxide to a gallon of tepid water (again, it's the heat thing...) for the first 3-5 waterings, until the seedlings look like they're comfortable. Then, I begin bottom watering. Last season I grew 208 seedlings, and didn't lose a single seedling to damping off...

Finally, (and contrary to popular belief), I water my seedlings AT NIGHT, just before I turn off the lights, which are on from 7a-11p, daily. I NEVER let the trays sit in standing water overnight, so I water early enough and suck out any excess before they're bedded for the night. I use a turkey baster...

What happens overnight constantly amazes me in the morning. You can actually see how much they grew in the dark! This is when I adjust the height of the lights because, most times, they're touching the bulbs by morning...

My seedlings start out in the warmest room in my house (vent issues which proved to be a seed-starting blessing....). After they get their first-second set of true leaves, they are moved to the light stand in the coolest room in my house (more vent issues which proved to be a seedling blessing....). The cool air slows the upward growth and they start to get "fat". Also, I introduce a fan to keep a steady stream of gentle air aimed at them. Fighting to remain upright against the breeze makes them get sturdy.

Watering becomes a more careful consideration in the cool room, because a cold and damp seedling will begin to turn purple, which signifies it is UNcomfortable. They become "blue babies." So, I water only as much as is necessary for very little run-off, and again, NEVER leave the trays sitting in water for any real length of time.

Linda

This message was edited Jan 2, 2013 1:41 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm thinking of starting my seedlings in my roaster oven this year and then moving them to the lights upon germination. My biggest problem is lack of heat once germinated. The spare bedroom we used last time is the coldest in the house and if we get freezing temps or snow it stays cold in that room, not freezing, but cold. We set the thermostat on 66º, but it's colder in that room. Should I invest in some heating mats or do you think they'll be okay even in the coldest room? There's really not another place to put them.

Steph,
I think that roaster is a BRILLIANT idea, and would love to follow your updates on the process!

This may be totally crazy thinking, but, hey, it's what gardeners do when they're not growing stuff...

First off, how are you starting the seedlings in the roaster? If you're just packing the potting mix down into the roaster pan and sowing the seeds, well, I think you might actually be home free! You already have a heat source.

If it were me, and I needed a warm place for those seedlings to grow 1-2 sets of true leaves, I'd LEAVE THEM IN THE ROASTER, adjust the heat, and put the fluorescent light right over the roaster! Prop the two-bulb light kit on some blocks over the roaster. If the roaster is too low, put some books/blocks underneath to raise it to the light level.

After they put on two sets of true leaves, prick the seedlings out, pot 'em up to whatever, THEN, bring them over into your cool room...

Like this. (It's my worm bin...) Didn't elevate the bin upward cause the worms don't need to be that close to the light source...light actually causes them physical pain, I learned, which is why they tunnel downward when you shine light on them...go figure...

I already provided the "crazy" disclaimer...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I will not be putting dirt in the roaster; it's too new for that. I was thinking of putting an aluminum liner in the pan and then setting my cups in the pan. I'm thinking of using old yogurt cups this year for my first stage of sowing.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

stephanietx
I have been using : "Hydrofarm Seedling Heat Mat" for many years now. It is worth all its money.
If you go to the TexasHydrophonic store in town they will sell it plus you must buy a thermostat.
My laundry room is at the same temperature of your bedroom right now. The heating mat does the trick for all your warm season seedlings: tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, cucumbers, zucchini and beans.
No reason to cook your seeds with the roaster ... OMG !
The tomatoes seeds I started 2 days ago are under lights and on top of the heating mat set at 85F. The seedlings are germinating already !

Steph,
I think you could still leave em in the roaster without harming them. it's what you have available.

That list reminded me I need to start my Eggplants, even though last year's plants are still cranking out fruits!!

I need to cut them back and bring them into the garage for a hot second. The cold hasn't killed em, yet, and I'd be curious to see a rebound.

Linda

I have a heating mat (no thermometer) and I love it. Ive read articles on DG about people starting their seeds in their oven with just the light on to warm it up and they did fine. Do you plan on having the oven turned on?

I think Steph's concern is with her ambient room temp for growing the seedlings to true leaves, after germination....they may stall in the cool room, yes?

I'm wondering how she's going to use the roaster oven. Sounds interesting. I luv to hear the different methods people have. I always try to keep costs down so I'm always looking for ways to make it work.

I keep my seedlings warm until they get their first or second set of true leaves. I then put tomato seedlings in a cooler area and keep peppers and eggplants warm. Not as warm as germination temps but warmer then tomatoes. If the tomatoes are kept too hot they get leggy. When I want to slow down their growth I put tomato seedlings in cooler temps, only water when they start to wilt, and stop fertilizing them. But always keep them under lights.

I have also found that it's not always possible to have the "perfect" conditions but the seedlings will be fine.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

From the person who initially suggested this:

"Place pots in which you have sown seeds that need warmth to germinate in an electric roaster with the lid on and set on 85 to 90 degrees. (Check the temperature of your roaster first by heating a cup of water in it for a few hours and adjusting the temperature to the desired setting. The correct setting will likely be below the first temperature printed on the dial, and the light indicating heating may not come on often.) Check to see if seedlings have emerged after the third day and then every day after that."

Sounds perfect, please let us know how it goes. This method is new to me.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

You all have made me realize that I need to start my seeds!! I really need to get those peppers & tomatoes started. Last year, I bit the bullet & purchased some heat mats & shop lights. These were installed on an empty shelf in my pantry. So I have my setup all ready to fo.

Jo-Ann

And...? LOL!

So, what tomatoes are you sowing today, Jomoncon?

Steph,
This might help once you put your seedlings under the lights in your cool room!

It might keep more of the warmth from the lights on the plant. Worth a try, perhaps?

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Romanesco; planted seeds four days ago.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Placed my first orders:
Dixondale - Copra, Sterling and Cippolini onions
Heritage Tomato Seed - Brad's Black Heart, Dinner Plate, Rosella Purple (dwarf)
And I've got the catalogs scattered around everywhere...

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

For tomatoes I have:
Amish Paste
Roma Paste
Black Cherry
Morning Sun Cherry
Aunt molly ground cherry
Dr Walter
Red Zebra

For Peppers, I'm doing:
Tequila Sunrise
Golden California
Jalapeno
Kevin Early Orange
Caballero Hybrid

So, I've got a lot to get started.

Jo-Ann

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Go juhur!!

What planting medium is everyone using?

I started my tomatoes in Roots Organic Potting soil.

My onions are going in patented Earthboxes with a 3:1 ratio of MG Potting Mix and either Moo Nure or Hapi Gro Organic Compost. Just a little comparison experiment.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I too love seeing everyones' list.
Seeds I have sown so far this year

Tomatoes:

Marglobe*
Roma
Rutgers
Brandywine (a mix of colors)
Cherokee Purple
Great White*
Valencia*
Siberia*
Black Prince*
Purple Russian
Black Krim
Dejena Lee Golden Girl
Coustralee
Golden sunburst*
Green Sausage*
Sungold*
Sweet Million

Peppers:
Marconi Red*
Fooled You Jalapeno
Sweet Banana Pepper*
Gypsy
Jalapeno Early
Hungarian Hot wax
Ancho

and a few mixed seed packets: Carnival bells, a cayenne mix, and a habanero/scotch bonnet mix*

P.S.
After reading all the posts yesterday about seed starting methods, I decided to take a tray of tomatoes and peppers that I sowed a few days before Christmas and place them in the oven with the light on to see if it would help the germinate.
I was fed up with waiting and my house is rather cool. Then (hiding head in shame) I promptly started the oven (not 15 minutes later) when my two year old asked to make cookies. ACCORDING TO MY OVEN TOP, IT PREHEATED TO 170 BEFORE I REMEMBERED THE SEEDS. I swear pregnancy makes my brain stop working. Needless to say, I was totally bummed out. I was losing sleep, but this morning two of the "Fooled You Jalapenos' sprouted. Is it possible I didn't murder all my poor little seeds!
Hope, hope, hope!!! I am going to give them two more days to see what happens. Whatever doesn't sprout by Sunday evening will be reseeded. Luckily, I still have seeds for all of the varieties.

Sigh....oh the joys of gardening.

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

GrowingNVegas, it happens to the best of 'em. Sounds like you're going to town with planting, as well as many other folks. After the big -22 degree freeze, I kinda' lost heart for a couple of weeks - lost my soul dog, too - but now am planning a small indoor greenhouse on the south side of the living room for starting (and keeping some) seeds inside. There will be Lattice walls, lights, and space blankets to reflect light back onto the plants. Then everything won't get so leggy awaiting decent temps to set out into the greenhouse and outside. It doesn't get warm enough here for that until June 10th or after, and first freeze last year was September 7. I tried saving some stuff from the greenhouse, but hardly anything survived. I even lost my big avocado tree, so I may just keep those kind of plants indoors. I plan to build a rocket mass heater out there this summer, so it should be toasty all next winter with very little wood use and virtually no pollution. Now, to just remember there's a stack of 2x4s and lattice panels lining the hall, when I stumble around in the dark tonight... It's so wonderful to see everyone's plans and I can envision some of the wonderful gardens you all will have. Isn't gardening fun?

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from stephanietx :
What planting medium is everyone using?

Dirt, outside in the garden. :)

Ya'll with the extensive seed starting setups and grow lights and whatnot make me really tired!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Nicole, the only thing I start indoor are tomatoes and peppers. The rest of it I direct sow.

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

stephanietx
Do you start your pepper seeds at the same time as you do tomato seeds?

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I start peppers and eggplants a couple of weeks before tomatoes, and I use Black Gold from Territorial Seeds as my starting medium.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I start peppers indoors, too, otherwise it's well into fall before I get any fruit.

But I still use plain dirt, and as soon as they are up and about they go outside in the sun most days -- it's usually warm enough and there are only a few days they need to stay inside. I do have a big florescent lights for emergencies with a couple of very high tech cinderblocks to prop it up :)

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I have the pellets expanding and will start all of these in the morning. I'm looking at 24 tomatoes, 12 cucumbers, 18 peppers, 24 beans, 24 okra & 20-24 corn. Plus herbs, sunflowers, zinnia, marigolds, impatient and poppy

Tomatoes

Neves Azorean Red
Aker's West Virgina
Nyagous
Black Oxheart
Black Giant (are these just Blk Oxheart under a different name?)
Arkansas Traveler
Black From Tula
Atkinson
Rutgers
Homestead
Solar Flare
Black Krim
Cherokee Purple
Pruden's Purple
Abe Lincoln
Ace
Box Car Willie