DECEMBER 2012 in your neck of the woods

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Jeepers Betty, sure hope you can find a 'happy medium' for the analgesic you're taking. Being in constant pain is NO fun at all !!
I finally was able to balance the grandkids gifts, now I am stuck re my son. We were giving him firewood for Xmas, but, he needs it now .. sigh .. so .. he has the wood, but, now nothing to open at Xmas, maybe a box of cookies would suffice LoL Doubtless it'll be a gift certificate.

Driving in Florida .. shiver .. I have done the A1A .. and survived .. I sure hope everything works out well for you ..
Hadn't realized you would be in Florida over Xmas .. I know it's a great place to be as far as decorations etc .. my Mom and Dad always commented on the flourish of colours in the Palm Trees ..

Thanks for the link AbAnn .. will give it a boo ^_^

Susan, how's the job going? Must be busy ...

Off to tidy up some wrapping paper..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Same with my boys "m"' lots of paper gifts
Greg and Kyle, snowmobile passes, yikes they are up to $210 each and the last few years not much snow/ice for snowmobiling but that is what they want, Noah a seasons pass at horseshoe valley ski hills..Jeff, he d something in mind so sent him $$$ to pick up instrument things for boys..bought Greg and Jeff tools, always a hit and their birthday gifts, crosses for all the boys and had them engraved, p.j. And sweaters, so really, not much to open..their wives on the other hand have at least 10 pressies to open..Sunday and it will all be over then everyone will be travelling to other areas..Greg and family to the Dominican, Jeff and his family, not sure where they are off to but going somewhere.

The florida trip won't be easy, taking Darlene down, I'm staying a few weeks, she is staying for 3 months, at least she hopes she will . I will fly home and return end of march to pick her up and take her home. With her husband dying Jan 3rd, then her father a few months ago and her mom falling day after Darlene's dad died and broke her hip, well, let's say we won't be celebrating Christmas!

I promised I'd book a few days near family day long weekend that I might fly to Florida to break up her ay, we'll see

I always found they in Florida to make up for no snow decorate more than we do.

Few things I could be doing tonight but heck couch feels mighty comfortable

Looking forward to working from home tomorrow

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

it's +2 C right now, and very nice out - no wind at all!

It's a lovely place to work, Marilyn, but I'm really doing the work of a summer student - packing Iron Mountain boxes with stuff to keep, and taking apart binders of paperwork to recycle......... and those metal coil ring bindings are Painful! "snap, snap" on my poor hands! I'm also packing/unpacking desks for people who are moving to another part of the floor. Bustling in the office, but sooooo boring!

BUT I got a lovely pressie today - a 13" poinsettia! It's a huge one! double the size of those in our church - looks like it would go out on the patio! Anyway, because it's so nice today, I brought it home.
btw - the executive vice-president bought 9 of them, for all the Assistants - I'm a Director's Assistant, so I got one.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh, and there's a Potluck tomorrow, and I'm on the committee so I'll be decorating the 3 board rooms we have it in - one's for desserts, one's for entrees and side dishes, and one's for miscellaneous and beverages. They're not large rooms - for meetings of 8 people, so it's going to be relatively easy. They call me "Martha Stewart" so guess who got voted in, to decorate LOL

Betty, you're a trooper re Darlene, she's so fortunate to have you for a friend.
I sure hope she's going to be able to 'weather' 3 months in Florida on her own. Does she know anyone there?
I'm such a chicken, I'd have to have someone i KNEW I could call if something were to happen and i needed someone.
With me it would be walking into the condo/apt and seeing a PALMETTO bug on the premises .. it happened to me in my parents condo, I about fainted .. gawd those bugs are SO big and look horrible LoL .. scared my Mom half to death as I lead the way into the condo and was first to spot the thing .. my Dad just laughed and kicked it out into the atrium !!
Thinking back though, of the 14 years my parents spent winters in Florida, they made lasting friends .. still send 2 couples, well into their 80s, Christmas cards ..
I wish you well with all involved with the vacation ^_^
As for the gifts here at home .. lets just say the price NEVER dwindles DOWN LoL

Susan .. opening and closing those binders would be hard on the carpal tunnel .. best to go slow .. but MAN I know they can be TIGHT and so SHARP !!
The Poinsettia sounds lovely .. I have a small one, know that it'll be a 'Charlie Brown Poinsietta' by February LoL .. my Poinsietta's usually loose their pretty leaves and then get so gangly ..
Good luck with the pot luck .. betcha it'll be fun :-)

Off to the city ...

~M~

I am in tears .. I have been watching the news of the MASSACRE in Conneticut ... my good grief .. such absolute horrific happenings ..
30 sweet innocents dead, and how many left to fight the memory of the day ..

My thoughts and prayers go out to all and everyone involved, but, most especially the angels that knocked on Heaven's door today !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Watching as well "M"' just comprehend how something like this happens!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

OMG THAT is awful! So very sad for all those affected and with the news the rest of us get to relive it time and time again. Ladies don't watch too much or you can be really hammered by the feelings this can produce.
Betty you are an Angel to help Darlene and accompany her. Enjoy the trip and I hope Darlene can heal with the warmth of the Florida sun.
Susan sounds like you are very busy and that is good. Have fun with the Pot luck.
Marilynn lots and lots of bugs in Florida, need to have a pet lizard to keep your home clear.
It's Friday here too, LOL and here comes the weekend. I'm so grateful to have a job that gives me weekends!
Weather is warming up here too.
AB Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ann, you just want to give the children extra hugs tonight! You are right Ann about the news pulling you in..they think the shooter 20 year old had asperghers syndrome, when I think about Kyle 17 today who also has asperghers I just get sick to my stomach..been a few days no headaches, today head is just a pounding.

Glad to hear Ann that your temps are warming up, too early to be having full blown winter.

Ahh won't be that LNG we shall be thinking spring.

Wouldn't you know, calling for snow next week..couldn't it wait till I'm far enough south that they dont get snow?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

it wasn't opening/shutting the binders........ it was the metal coil bindings - removing them as they snapped my hands..... ouch!

I have some good news about Bob - he starts his new, permanent job Monday!! He interviewed for it yesterday, and the guy got back to the agency Bob's working with and said they want him to start on Monday, doing carpentry, which is an inside job.
AND - my job has been extended until the end of January. I'm thrilled.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

AND the potluck was very successful - I decorated.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

We had a potluck today too - at my house. Our "Something Purple" group (used to be Red Hat, but we decided to be independent and ditched the Red Hats) had their Christmas potluck and auction of unneeded items to each other and raised $425 for the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario. And now my house is nice and tidy for the holidays. :-)

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

how very awesome, Ann!! I'm sure the Children's Hospital is very appreciative!!
s'funny, but I hear a lot of Red Hatters breaking loose and going their own way - same group of ladies, just different names...... Something to do with rules or $$ dues......

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, up early (still nauseated by the events of school shooting) so decided to come and have coffee with you all.

Cold out there, calling for a little bit of snow over the next few days, doubt it will amount to anything, now watch us get a blizzard!

Ann, Something Purple sounds like a fun group..don't want to stay in an organization that takes all the fun out of belonging to it....that is a fair amount you raised..hmmm is that how a person purges themselves of unwanted items, by having a bazaar?? Should. Heck to see which organizations here have them at this time of year.

Time for another coffee..my 1st stop this a.m is at 8:30 for Christmas gift delivery,hoping to be back home by noon so I can enjoy the day.

Family Christmas in Toronto tomorrow so don't want to be tired for it..theme for the day is rest and do nothing..

Enjoy your day everyone

I hear ya Betty re the Connecticut Massacre .. I woke up a couple of times wondering how many families lives have changed in heartbeat.
As the days wear on I am sure the story will 'flesh out' even more as far as the perpetrator of the crimes goes. I'm sure Aspergers was only the tip of the ice berg with this person.

I have been asked a few times to join a local 'Red Hats' group, just have never taken the offer up. The group I would join is made up primarily of teachers, with a smattering of nurses .
Wonderful to have raised that $$ for CEO .. it's a marvelous facility.

Good news re both you and Bob, Susan .. will make your Xmas that much Merrier ^_^

Have one load of laundry in (must be HYDRO SATURDAY) and am going to go over the spec sheets I got at Sears yesterday .. I WAS going to buy one of the massive new and fancy French Door, bottom pull out fridges .. but, have decided on an 'ALL fridge', with an upright freezer to stand beside it. Saw the units yesterday at Sears, just have to do some measuring .. AND, only available in STAINLESS .. I certainly wouldn't want black, I have a black gas range and dishwasher, and, luckily a kitchen big enough to house these 2 units. Also have some 'Gord convincing' to do as well .. a challenge at the best of times LoL

Hope everyone gets some R&R this weekend !!!

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Bob & I will certainly be quietly celebrating!!

The community is having to deal with a terrible tragedy today......... It sounds like he was after his mother, because she died too (at least it sounds like it.....she has died also they said)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Yes, re Red Hats - too much money wanted for perks which we don't qualify for because we are in Canada. And initially, an attraction was virtually NO dues and no rules. We don't need it. We can still get together on a regular basis w/o supporting Red Hat International which has gone the way of big business with corporate headquarters and all that.

And we do purge our houses of unwanted items but there is a limit of 2 each though we have a toonie grab bag for wrapped mystery items. Homemade jams and jellies go well too.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well I feel like it should be nighttime..been on the road sice 8am..got to visit with Suzanne and her family, my brother Bernie and his wife.

Got some pretty nice pressies..

Not sure what we are eating tomorrow, understand its being catered so seeing as I'm hungry for turkey I've decided to cook a small one for me, myself and I..only thing I forgot was cranberries..will see if I've enough energy to go buy some..did remember the turnip though.

Ann, sounds as though you have a great time with the ladies..bet the mystery wrap exchange brings a lot of laughter..you are one busy lady!

Susan, what great news..while you were dreading Christmas you can now start the new year with enthusiasm..great opportunity for Bob!

"m" after all your problems with Sears and your washer you are going to give them the sale? What a trooper

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes Betty - we're relaxing more now, for Christmas.
Still won't be buying gifts though, and I don't have the energy/desire to make something. I know a shirt would be welcomed, but know that I can't make one in this time.
btw - I finish work Dec 21, then don't return until Jan 2, so no $$ coming in from me, and Bob's 2nd pay comes on Dec 21st. We're trying to play catch up with bills, no $$ for extras this year. Maybe next year........ but then we always say that, so not counting on next year either.

Victoria Harbour, ON

But Susan, gifts don't have to be for Christmas..special treats during the coming months is just as meaningful..it's all about the specialness of it, not the gifts..

I love giving but it would not upset me in the least not to get a gift..it's seeing the smiles of those who receive that makes my Christmas..

Hear the pat a musician rom Winnipeg moved stateside last month..his child was one who was shot yesterday.

Believe Winnipeg are haing a service tonight

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

siiiiiigh poor Winnipeger - wonder if I knew them......
I'll check it out.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just a young family Susan..I almost think he taught music in one of the Winnipeg schools, perhaps from USA, worked in Winnipeg then going back home..was one of the few names given, guess it got out because parents were in touch with family and/or friends

Still trying to come to terms with this senseless tragedy, and, have decided I just can't watch or read anymore about it.
I want to, but, in so doing I feel worse as well as SO BAD for the families whose lives have been forever changed.

Rain, rain, rain = achy bones here :-(
It's just dreary and damp and .. NOT my favourite .. SLIPPERY !!!!!!!!!!!!
Thinking of making sugar cookies today, said I wouldn't, but, I did have a pound of butter secreted away in the freezer, and, they are Gord and Lornas favourites .. the butter was out all night, should get on with it as the dough has to chill for a couple of hours.

My Rheumatologist appt (first ever) is tomorrow, wish me luck and a clear questioning mind .. my pain level has been slowly going UP the past few days. Gord will be my second pair of ears at the appt.

OK .. off to make that dough ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

"M" same weather here, it's just between the rain/snow, if temps go down it will a skating rink. Hopefully it will warm up, family Christmas in Toronto..likely we will leave around noon..I'll go with Greg and family providing all the gifts fit in the truck..not a joke..I'm grateful that once again it's been a good year so I could fill their Christmas list.

Not sure if I turned the wrong way but mega pain..sitting here with pillow behind my back, here is hoping with the pains meds I'll not feel it by the time it's time to go..

Now put on that Christmas music and sing while you bake..sure wish I was good at cookie making because I'd bake right along with you.

Here is hoping you will have more answers tomorrow..always good to have questions prepared for asking and also with so much info doctor gives we only retain so much..thank goodness Gord will be with you!i

Forgot about the sears thing.
Well, I'm happy with the way they finally did come around, in the end.
For some reason I seem to feel more comfortable with a store with a good reputation.
Guess I'll find out.
That said, I might go to the Brick and have a look, just such a significant purchase I sure want the best deal.

Cookie dough has been sitting chilling, time to roll it out and shape some cookies.

Drive safely Betty, hope you feel better

M

CATS !!!!!! GRrrrrrrrrrrr .. Smokey decided to ROUSE at 2am .. singing and purring up and down the hallway .. then he'd stop, wait til everyone was back to sleep, and start again.
Finally at 5am I got up .. he wanted food!!
So .. it's going to be a looooooong day here.

I see it snowed a teenie bit overnight, at least NO freezing rain to drive into the city through.

Have to get all my paper work in order for the appt .. I have printed off questions I want answers to ...

Hope everyone has a peaceful and calm PRE Xmas week :-)

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

arrrgh cats that stay awake all night! Hopefully you'll get sleep/rest tonight!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Feels like a fall day here, can I be lucky enough to get through Friday's drive heading south without battling a blizzard? Sure hope so.

We're all your questions and concerns answered "M"?

We are now in the Christmas week, countdown is on..seems strange my just playing at entertaining myself, my Christmas being behind me..

Susan, is there a lot of Christmas buzz going on at your work? Is Bob enjoying his new job?

Should put the curling iron to this mop so best be on the run, well maybe not run, takes all my time to walk. Lol

Waving to both our Ann's as I leave this room

Gab in a bit

Am hoping you travel south will be without incident Betty .. just think, the more miles you get southerly, the less chance of SNOW ^_^

The appt went well .. he was very thorough .. and concerned .. he has diagnosed me with 'Psoriatic Arthritis', and, according to the bone scan I had, it has taken quite the toll on a part of my spine and my right hip :-(
SO .. one med is being tapered down (the prednisone) and, I will be taking a chemotherapy drug once a week for several months. The drug is called a DMARD (Disease Modifying drug) and, unfortunately, it is quite potent. I will take it on a Saturday, and likely be 'out of commission' for 24/48 hours with flu like symptoms .. BIG decision to make to take the drug, but, NOT taking it leaves my joints open to more damage from my wonkie auto immune system.
So .. my conundrun right now is .. as I am having a family luncheon here on Sunday .. do I really want to start this drug on Saturday .. I do believe I will take it on Sunday evening before bed, hopefullly 'sleep off' the worst of the side effects before Christmas Day.
Sheesh .. who woulda thunk this could happen !!
OH .. and I am being scheduled for an MRI as well ...

Off to the 'seating clinic' with Lorna and her NEW (incorrectly made) wheelchair cushion worth many $$ .. very disappointing for her ..

Take care everyone

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG "M" does this disease come on so quickly, seems you were flitting around with not a health care in the world and suddenly it's gotten you rock bottom. Think I'd be taking the drug ASAP so you can sing Christmas Carols with the family..either that or take it Christmas night. You sound chipper, guess it's finally knowing what the illness is.

Sorry to hear the cushion wasn't made properly or is of poor quality.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

M, hope your meds are easier on you than you think! Now that you have a diagnosis the only way is UP. Darn that an expensive specially made item to increase comfort is not right!

B wishing you a good drive and roads that are smooth.

Susan good to hear that jobs are in your future even if it's just till the end of January for you, things can change and you may end up there permantly.

VAnn, I like purple better anyway and sounds like you have a great group to call friends.

Kayla update, She got through the 2nd Brain surgery and is now scheduled for a third on Christmas day. She is so positive and far more grown than her 15 years. I attribute that to her amazing Mom.

I'm working my way through my friends and family with my small gifts/baking for them and will do that all week. Off to get back to work after lunch.
Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Alberta Ann, the very best to you and yours this Christmas.
Thanks for the update on Kayla, imagine, Christmas Day..miracles abound on the day the Lord was born..here's hoping all goes well

Good to hear Kayla got through the second surgery. I will have her in my thoughts on Christmas day for sure.

Yep Betty, my case is a case of 'you just never know' ! .. I do know that if you start to feel run down and achy, with increased muscle and joint soreness, you should NOT ignore it, get it checked out .. blood work will show if there is a problem.
I spoke with my pharmacist today, and, I am going to start the Methotrexate on Dec. 28th .. she feels I should NOT ruin Christmas plans .. besides, it's my first dose of the drug .. and.. it has to be taken at the same time each week (same day) so, as I am usually home on a Saturday, I felt Friday would be best.
She also mentioned a lot of people do not suffer the side effects .. fingers crossed .

AbAnn .. I think the gift of baking is such a great idea .. nobody doesn't like Xmas baking :-)

The cushion .. sheesh .. it was made with a 'depression' in the very back .. no one is sure why .. but, when Lorna sits down she sinks INTO the depression and it lifts her leg a good inch off the floor. As she navigates the wchair with that foot, it NEEDS to be on the floor .. so .. it is going to be fixed .. in the New YEar ..

I feel not too bad .. as AbAnn says, the only way is up now that I know what I have .. a bitter pill to swallow at times, but, then I think of Kayla .. and others like her or younger ..

Off to rassle up something for supper ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wish someone baked me a box of goodies, but then maybe not!! Some of the painters that come to paint on Tuesdays left chocolate goodies/homemade candies in a container..guess who ate them until they were allll gone? then I wonder why I'm putting on weight. Can't seem to eat just one or two, nope, got to eat until they are all gone!

Glad the cushion will be repaired, hate to think the money she spend was for not.

Glad you will get through Christmas festivities before taking the meds..guess they have to give you all the side effects however minimal they might react on people, lets hope no side effects for you.

Falling asleep here, head nodding lol just made a to do list for tonight and tomorrow night. Last night was wasted, fell asleep almost as soon as I got home from work..dropping off gifts tonight, likely won't get home until TV bingo starts so it will be a late night..how come on weekends when you can sleep in you don't and when you can't you so want to sleep till noon..ok maybe not noon maybe 8am

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the wishes all. I'm such a dummy , Kayla's surgery is tomorrow not Xmas day I guess reading through tears just isn't accurate. Anyway. She's still amazing!

Got enough baking to make us all fat!. I try to keep it in the freezer till I make up the trays that are going out or else I eat it. It is so hard to resist. Come on over and I'll put the coffee and the tea on for you all!

Going to have lunch with my on earth Fairy God Mother, aka Jag on June for those of you who remember her. We are trying a new restaurant here that has just opened. Will let you know how it goes. The week is flying by and I'm not quite ready. Need a gift for the gift exchange with my DH 's family and for the exchange at work. Should be easy just have to get out there.
Bye for now
Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sure wish I could come over for coffee and taste those goodies!
Am sure on your luncheon date you will have time to find that special gift.

Will pray for Kayla!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - not a lot of buzz about Christmas at work, although people ARE bringing baking into our kitchens lol

Marilyn - hope you get past this "thing" you have with the flu-like symptoms!! yuck!!

thanks AbAnn re: job - I am liking it there, and seem to be simpatico with those I'm working with.... :-) I won't promise myself anything though - would only disappoint if it didn't happen

Too sweet - Bob & I get to go to work together, and meet up to go home together on the bus. I start earlier to match him (he has to be at work at 6:50 am, and gets off at 3pm). As I work about 5 blocks further away, I take the bus from work and get off where he's working on an office building, and then we take the bus the rest of the way home.

T & Ps heading west for Kayla. A brave girl.

I hear ya on putting baking in the freezer AbANN .. makes it a 'bit' less tempting (A BIT) !!!

Susan .. I'm not going to take the drug that will perhaps make me sick until Dec. 28th. Decided against taking it before Xmas. Am going to call the doc and let him know today, I'm sure he'll understand.
Nice you and Bob can 'cohort' to work and home ^_^

Am thinking I MAY have a 'free day' today, course, it's only 7am, so, who knows ..

Make it a good day .. fingers crossed (toes too) for Kayla

~M~

PA.. Hi to JargonJune ^_^

Victoria Harbour, ON

Prayers for Kayla this morning..may the Lord watch over the surgeons..

"M" here's hoping for a leisurely day, a painless one at that

Susan, that's a lot of togetherness lol

Sitting here, drugged up, mellow and nothing to do..maybe I can nap.

Just heard the weather forecast, originally it was to be mild weather, now storm front moving in, perhaps freezing rain Friday morning..will decide on a course of action travel wise when I get up Friday morning.

Betty .. we had an isolated flurry or two today, nothing that stuck, or, made the roads icy, so, I am hoping you'll be OK on Friday ~~
Do hope you were able to rest today. I did .. I got a book I have had secreted away for a bit, a Maeve Binchey book, called 'The Lilac Bus' .. kind of very easy reading. I've managed to read half of it, fell asleep once LoL

Thoughts for Kayla travelling west that's for sure .. my GD called today, just because .. made my mind flash to Kayla .. Brooklyn is SO excited re Christmas !!

Off to FINISH the Christmas shopping tomorrow. Lorna went in on her own today, Gord and I will go Thursday .. not much to get, gift certificates. See my family doc as well .. maybe he'll have my blood work results from Monday .. hope so ..
Friday I pick up the BAKING :-)
Saturday the meat and cheese and veggie tray
Sunday the family luncheon ..

And, so it goes ^_^

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.