What do you wear when you're busy in the garden?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 103 votes:

Old clothes with stains, rips and mismatched colors.
(41 votes, 39%)
Red dot

I have a few sets of old clothes that are only for the garden.
(34 votes, 33%)
Red dot

No stains or worn and torn clothes for me.
(3 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Straw hat, pearls, pristine white gardening gloves.
(1 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Is there something wrong with gardening in pajamas?
(10 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Other? (tell us!)
(14 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I scored about 30+ FREE T-shirts in varying sizes last year. Pulled all the ones that were my size, and that's the garden uniform! Add the jean shorts, or pants, and the duck shoes, and we are outfitted to a "T"!

Hugs

Uh, I could've voted for the PJs, too. Love my morning coffee in the yard, in whatever came out of the bed!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Voted old clothes here but I can see anything wrong with PJs either. Both are more than comfortable.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Old clothes, same ones I wear to work at the kennel. I'm either covered with dirt or slobber, lol.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

ME ALSO I'm always with the old teniees or boots a pair of worn jeans it works if it's comfy. oh yeah!!! I would wear nothing but my sandals or slippers as hot as it's been only people can see me in the garden I have neighbors I do not want to insult , besides I might burn something tender so I guess that's out...

Homewood, IL

Depends on task. If lots of digging or using powered tools, jeans, short-sleeved shirt and steel-toed boots. If weeding, planting or lite tasks, then I dress for comfort, yoga pants, t-shirt & designated gardening sneakers. Always wear a baseball cap, since I tend to get skeeter bites on my head.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I do not get skeeter bites so much as gnat bites. Long pants and 3/4 length sleeves mostly nd a head rag with a cap or hat to keep in down on my ears. We have a tiny biting nat that just loves my ears and elbows. Luciee {;^)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I wear stained khakis or old cargo shorts , really old tees, and flip flops, shoes for digging. Holly on the other hand wears older but nicer long slacks, long tees, and tennies or flip flops. Ric

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Other- since all of the above apply plus a few others like swimsuits and church clothes, sigh, they all get to be comfy clothes sooner or later...

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

my favorite summertime gardening attire is a long rayon dress that goes almost to my ankles, a wide-brimmed hat, tom's canvas slip-ons, sunscreen and atlas 370 gloves.
of course, pajamas are always in vogue any other time of year.
ah, there's the fashion queen now........lolrof

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Calgary, Canada

Comfortable clothes and shoes would be my choice.
Does not matter what they look like---old, stained etc.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Other: Top hat, pearls, pristine white gloves, Kevlar vest, and bare feet (unless it's summertime--then snow boots).

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I wear old worn out, stained, ripped tees and shorts or cargo pants depending on the season. (We just have two...summer and "What was that?"). One thing I cannot do however is to wear mismatched colors. Sometimes the apparel is so faded, I barely KNOW what color it is but something about colors clashing that bothers me. I guess if there was a fire, I would not take time to choose another shirt but other than that, it cant clash. I like to be able to wipe my hands on my pants or shirt if necessary so I must garden in something that is only worn in the garden or to paint something. I do sometimes wear the same raggedy tee shirts as bed clothing because after being washed so many times, they are so soft and comfy. (I know. It's not a very sexy mind picture.) I said, "comfy", OK?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from nifty413 :
Other: Top hat, pearls, pristine white gloves, Kevlar vest, and bare feet (unless it's summertime--then snow boots).

lol ~ and I am truly curious about the Kevlar vest. Are you disturbing the neighbors?

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

Not what my grandmother wore, for sure. I can remember her out in the yard with a long housedress and sturdy leather shoes, and the most memorable thing: the big bonnet. It must have stuck out at least six inches around her face, real old fashioned kind of bonnet that she probably made herself on the treadle machine that I have now. She had the greenest thumb, Her yard was huge, but she mowed it with a non-powered push mower all by herself, must've been a quarter acre of grass and gardens. She had raised beds two feet high with 1x12s holding the soil in and one of her favorite plants was tomatoes. She made tomato preserves and stored them in the old dirt storm cellar my grandad built. He built the house, too. I remember she was very protective of her blackberry patch, which, because she was, became ever so alluring to me, it being off limits and all. I can still see her and her bonnet bent over in the hot west Texas sun, weeding or harvesting and planning a huge Blackberry cobbler that week. To me it was like the garden of eden, or heaven or something.

Grandmother's garden had a big Chinaberry tree with the old metal rocking lawn chairs, and something for us kids (there were lots of grandkids)- grandad, before he died, had taken a pipe and set it in the ground with a an old rusty tractor seat on top of it. in front of that was a whole steering column and and steering wheel positioned at an angle and grandkids would spend hours on that thing pretending they were driving. He also built an arbor surrounded by grandmother's curvy flower beds, and there was a swing on the front, just opposite the ancient Wisteria vine covering the porch off the kitchen. I'd spend hours on that swing, singing. She never complained about the noise. She was pretty patient. I so enjoyed going there and will never forget it.

She had cut out curvy flower beds filled with zinnias and no telling what all flowers. She was an amazing gardener. My mom inherited that green thumb, and the work-hard n get it done-or-die kind of attitude, and did her best to pass it on to me. I worked for my mom several years in her upholstery shop and I was the one who dug the family (everyone called it Bonnie's garden - my mom's) garden, hauled manure from the barnyard and prepared it for her. People would compliment her all the time on her garden, but nary a word about who did the initial work. I always wondered about that, but I sure enjoyed mom's harvest and did a lot of the cooking as a teenager. My mom wore just old knit pants and sweaters to garden in, but I? An old pair of Levis gave up the ghost last week when the seat developed a large(r) rip too high to well... I won't be wearing those out in public any more that's for sure. I didn't mind the big holes on the front of the jeans, but the other was a different matter. I don't wear sunscreen because the latest findings is most of us are Vitamin D deficient (and that can lead to some bad things, health wise) but sometimes I'll wear a cap or scarf and old T-shirts. I had a wonderful pair of the most comfy shoes I've ever owned - a pair of Ecco pull ons - but I wore them out with the silly shovel. I had to retire them when the loose sole made me trip on a water hose and fall. I miss my Eccos...sniff sniff. Back to tennis shoes for now. I had a very fleeting thought about replacing those shoes, until I found them online and discovered they're now priced around $100. I got to thinking about how much ground elk that would buy, and... it'll have to wait. When I have to shovel, now, I wear my hiking boots- good thick soles.

Any garden can make me wear a smile, too.
This post sure got long.

:) Dianne

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 12:06 AM

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 12:17 AM

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from podster :

lol ~ and I am truly curious about the Kevlar vest. Are you disturbing the neighbors?

I just don't know! What have they told you!? ^_^
I do let the front yard run wild most of the time. But, I am just joking about the gardening attire. Whenever I get the urge to play in the dirt, whatever's sufficiently comfortable and suitable for public appearance is what's clothing me.
-Nick

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I have been more disclipined about wearing shoes; at least flip flops anyway. I like my comfortably worn shorts, capris, and jeans with pockets too. I have a tee (gift from my kids) that has a green apron printed on it with pockets filled with trowels, gloves, and daisies and "garden mom" printed on it. I cover my head with a 2007? Powell Garden roundup cap gifted to me by my oldest daughter. I also wear gloves, but most importantly sunblock since I have a fair complexion.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Canvas pants with knee pads with layers on top (LJs, tee, hoodie, fleece vest) in the wet weather; lighter canvas pants with tee or tank in summer. I'd like to find some canvas capris for the summer. Always a hat of some sort, both for sun protection and to keep my dang hair out of my face. Atlas gloves in every color except pink. Barefoot in summer, pack boots in winter.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

It seems I wear whatever I have on at the time I see something that has to be done. One time I found myslef digging with my gloved hands only to realize the gloves were not my garden pair but expensive Italian leather dress gloves. Ooops, I had come home from some dress up occasion and never even made it into the house, I saw something and had to dig right then! You can see my priorities are in the soil not the closet. LOL

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

shorts and Hawaiian shirts in Summer, unless I'm mowing/weedwacking, then jeans. Jeans and Hawaiian shirt during the cooler months and always wear my Croc hiking boots.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Sunglasses and whatever is comfortable for the task/weather.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I always wear jean, tshirt, sneacker shoes and my canvas or leather gloves. I have a couple of jeans that are stained or painted which are designated for the gardening tasks.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

"every color except pink"......lol

I have been known to tackle a "tipped-over-potato-vine-in-a-plastic-mesh-cage-with-a-snake wrapped-up-in-a-ball-that-touched-my-lap-as-I-stooped-to-upright-the-cage-and-the-plant (because I didn't know the snake was there...)", all while wearing my Sunday Church clothes, high heels, and pearls (he went to Jared...)!

LOL!

Like someone said, "whatever's comfortable at the time!"

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Whatever I end up in the yard in. I too find myself "grabbing something quick" in the garden - regardless of what I am wearing.
Weed whip and mow in shorts if thats what I am wearing when I get to working- pay for it when I get hit with a rock, stick or chunk of whip.
Seldom do I wear sunscreen - pay for that too.
Those early mornings with coffee in hand as Im in my jammies/robe happen all too often. Sometimes I will throw on a pair of jeans quick if I think of it - and maybe a bra :) Generally thats after several refills on the coffee and about an hour or two of working in the garden, telling the kids to get dressed and they tell me Im not so why should they. :)

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Gymgirl: 28 hyphens and "The Galleria of Jewelry" = awesomeness! LOL!

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

Yep, agree nifty, that's too funny Gymgirl!

Jeans and a bra, minnesippi? I'll bet your male neighbors are late for work every day, lol. (wink)

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I only have two rules for garden clothes 1. they must cover me adequately (I sunburn easily and my garden shares a low fence with a city park) and 2. they must have many pockets. How else would I carry around clippers and trowel and string and tags and a handful of green beans. My mother made me a cute garden apron but it's held up by a thin strap and all that stuff is just way too much for it to hold by a thin strap around my neck.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Solace, if that were the case I think I would have more help ;) LOL!

So maybe I should add that I am already in my jammies...and I put a bra on under them? or change into jeans from jammie pants :) Better :D

Lest I add "....all-while-trying-NOT-to-get-the-high-heels-stuck-in-the-mud-from-the-rainstorm-the-night-before!"

LOL! ^^_^^ (uh, I AM wearing clothes here...)

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 5:54 PM

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

doh! :)

LOL Y'all ain't right...

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

:)

(Please excuse the language - I dont know how to delete it. If you do, please feel free. Was not meant to offend anyone)

This message was edited Dec 5, 2012 5:58 PM

Thumbnail by minnesippi
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL

LOL Funny, but if I were you, I'd delete that due to the 's' word, or yer gonna get in trouble!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

:( I dont know how????

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you can't delete a picture but you could ask admin to do it or else just not worry about it. they'll delete it if they think it's not proper.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well that is not so bad ,we all handle it by every name imaginable as gardeners.It fits the content as garden humor.....
BESIDES,, LOL!!!

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Yea, it's just a synonym for fertilizer, after all. We're just talkin' semantics, here. chuckle.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.