Yarden chores - Late fall, early winter- begins 11-16-12

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Paul---

LOVE...LOVE thar woodland look also! No wonder you like shade plants. Please send more pictures.
You must have quite a large property. No development for you, huh?

If you ever get the chance--go to Terris (aspenhill's) place. She is also in the woods, with amazing landscasping,
a lake-sized pond--multi-level paths--just gorgeous!!! And SHE and her husband built their
huge house--that belongs in "House beautiful".
She held one of the Swaps a couple years ago. What a treat to be there....

Wasting away here at the HD. till 5:30. Sunday nights there are the Ravens games--and no one comes shopping.

Tonight is ourCompany Christmas party as well .. A very dreary evening....
Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful woods Paul, I just love all the beeches. Ric

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks all.

Ric, that is funny I want to cut one of the smaller ones down to let a little more light in. Their canopies are so dense.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous, Paul!!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Paul, I love your woodland garden - what a great path too. Looking good!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

(and she oughta know!!))

I felt OK about my flowerbeds being smothered in leaves...until today. Now they are covered in slimy wet stuck together leaves. It's not seeming too good for the plants this way.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Two months later, and still dealing with wet slimy stuck together leaves!

Here things are waking up despite the mostly cold last two weeks. Daffodils have been blooming for 2 weeks now.

Seems too miserable out to do much garden work, but need to get to some repotting of Japanese Maples before they break dormancy. Clematis vines have only gone brown last week. Hydrangea buds swelling.

I see crocus, winter hazel and perris blooming on my route, moss covered woodland path greening up, acorns sprouting.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2013 12:56 PM

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh coleup, I need to go get those Japanese maples before they leaf out! I want them in the ground asap.

You have a dmail coming!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My current chore is putting away a load of used lumber that I got from my daughters remodeling job.
Ric

Mark picked up the crabgrass preventer last week.

Butterfly bushes need a cut. Roses soon after, at this rate. three weeks to St Patricks Day.

My potatos are sprouting right on schedule- IN the kitchen. haha

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally I like to plant my spuds on Good Friday, which this year fall just2 days after a full moon. The Almanac always recommended planting root crops in the dark of the moon. c'est la vie Ric

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally, is this the time of the year to be putting down crabgrass preventer? I thought it was the same time as rose pruning/forsythia blooming.

Ric do you buy seed potato? THey say not to use grocery store ones. But its kinds hard to dump them when thhey are sprouting anyway.

ssg Tigger Plymouth- you are right we are just prepared. It will be coming pretty soon though. Mid March? late march?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I usually do buy seed potatoes, but if I have others that are sprouting, I use those also. The market potatoes are supposedly treated to slow sprouts, but if they have sprouts, I consider that to be null. I personally am still trying to prefect the art, of which my grandfather was a master. I am envious of the crop he raised (Corbets), he was sorely needed in 19th century Ireland. He'd 'ave changed them to turnips, beets, and cabbage if he could not raise 'taters. He also raised chickens. In his case the egg was first. He always hatched his flock, Roosters were meat, hens were layers, old hens were soup. His family fared well through the Depression, due to his resourcefulness and mu grandmothers' ability to pinch a penny. And I run on. Ric

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh go ahead and run, Ric, I love to hear "old farmer" stories!! (not that YOU are the old farmer, mind you.... )

... Excuse me, I have to go remove my foot from my mouth.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Old farmer tales are awesome!!!

I need to do a lot before next Saturday when I fly to Oregon to help after my DIL after she has back surgery. I won't be home til March 28th. Long time to be away when things are starting to stir and wake up.

Whoa nelly!
But I'd like to see Oregon some day.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

It hit me like a ton of bricks that it is only a week away. I have been making extra for dinner and putting things in the freezer, but I do need to clean some things up and prune before then otherwise new stuff will be up long before I get home.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from sallyg :
Whoa nelly!
But I'd like to see Oregon some day.

I just love how you type... just like you talk! < =)

Goodness Jan, don't cut it too close!! You're gonna be gone a while, so I'll just pray for nicely spaced out periods of rain for you while you're away, to keep everyone out there growing happily! =)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan, Does your DIL garden, will you have a garden to play in while you are caring for her and their family? Not like you will have a lot of extra time while you are there.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That's also one of the reasons I love the MA, you write like you talk so it's really like a conversation!!

Oregon is a good place to visit!! DDIL does some veggies in containers and a few in ground. One time I was out there I redid their area between the sidewalk and street. Thanks to the PNW forum I got hooked up with someone who had a bunch of clearance plants. We went on craigs list and got some used bricks, so we made some brick pads (for garbage cans) interspersed with ground covers. It still looks good since it filled in nicely. So I can play with that. maybe THIS time I will visit the Japanese garden. Also maybe visit the Rose garden again. Since Portland is The Rose City they are everywhere.

My yarden will just have to fend for itself, so I know you will all understand if I don't get everything done the way I would like for the swap in May. Then I think a yarden is always under construction, so it will be what it will be and you all are in the same boats, so no worries.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I've started a Yardening Spring thread over here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304562/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.