ORVG #196 Getting ready for winter

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Janet, you still have time to get it planted before winter. And the WL are saying rain on Friday. Boo Hiss. I was going to try to dig some daylilies and get them moved to other places. DH was asked in spring to make a place for them and he still hasn't plowed a place for them yet. I think I have room in another flower bed to move a few of them.

Looks like we are going to two dinners tomorrow. One at lunch at his cousin's, and then for supper at a niece's house. Oh, joy, have to look like I am hungry at the last one.

To all who have to travel, be safe on the roads.

To everybody where ever you are, and whoever you are with. Happy Thanksgiving. We have much to be thankful for!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey, gang. I just read and caught up from 10/29 until today. I was getting ready for a flight to Las Vegas 11/2 for a conference, and I am still out west. It worked out for me to drive to mid-coast California and stay with DG's Stellapathic (Stella) for 8 days, then drive down the coast to San Diego and meet another friend I've known online for about 11 years. Then, I drove up to Long Beach and I'm at the home of DG's DaisyAvenue (Michelle). They're not on DG anymore, but we keep in touch on Facebook.

I'm spending Thanksgiving here with Michelle's family, then flying to Austin Friday afternoon to visit my good friends who moved there a couple months ago. I'll return home December 2. It's been the trip of a lifetime - my first time out west, ever. Howie has been swamped and couldn't get away. I miss him! I've worked some while out here and will work some in Austin.

Having surgery December 11, so when this opportunity came up, I was extra motivated to enjoy it!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sounds like a fun trip, Kimberly... give Michelle a BIG hug from me!

yes Ky i m surprised too.
Lucy is limping today. i think she just had to much fun in the sun
our pie was a yukky mistake. I got a pumpkin pie from our bakery here in town and well...... when she handed it to me , my first instinct was to ask her for another one not so burnt .... i should have went with that ... oh gawd it was awful ! I just can't believe they would give someone that pie ???? i would never have sold a pie that burnt if it were me.
Our turkey from Honey Baked ham store was well.... just had no turkey flavor ... better luck next year. It was just a crazy holiday . LOL
get it right next year.
GW you sound like your a traveling queen. You sure are going some great places. Have a good trip .

Kimberly, so jealous of your travels. No, have fun and enjoy.

Sue, aww sorry about the pie. I have bought ham from the Honey Baked Ham Store, but never a turkey. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Glad it is over. I am so stuffed and didn't need any of it. I think I could be just as thankful over a bowl of bean soup and corn bread! No the food doesn't matter, it is the company you keep that matters.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Have a long, 10AM-10PM, but Good Thanksgiving Day.

Dru had fun and WAS/IS Whipped! LOL!
By next year we should be able to leave him here.
(He's up to a bit over an hour on him own w/o causing any major problems at the house.)
This is the first time he has seen Mat since he gave Dru to us back in May.
He went nuts for a while then came running over to me. Saw Robyn and went flying to her...LOL!
When we left our second stop Mat went to stick his head into the truck window to pet Dru goodbye....
he growled and barked at him.
Stopped barking when Mat started talking to him but the throat rumble never stopped.
Started wagging his tail when I got in and nose bumping my arm.
So it's safe to say his Bonding is complete.

Off to Tractor Supply for Dog and Cat Food..... and more than probably a new Sock Monkey Toy!!

Temps are dropping like a Stone!
52° at 7:30AM..... 42° now at 10:30!

Thumbnail by henryr10 Thumbnail by henryr10
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

That's a great picture of Dru...and Robyn looks like she's been busy baking as always!! Hope you all had good and thankful Thanksgivings!

(Good to see you Darius and Kim!)

can you say " GOOOOOOOO BUCKEYES "
got jessica's garden half done today. had pics but can't find them ? lost in my comp somewhere.
hi cookie ! big ~~~~~ to you .

here are some pics
i found them

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Sue that looks nice. DH went and bought a tree on Friday to put at his DB's grave. It is a good size tree, and he is going to put lights on it for Christmas. I showed him your picture, and he really liked the wrapped packages. Did you wrap them, or are they plastic? He was worried about them blowing away.

We had a very nice Thanksgiving. Went to DH's cousin's for a noon meal, then on to his DN's at supper time. Supposedly we were just going to visit there, but I ended up eating, and I was so full when we got home. She had a really great dessert. A red velvet cake, but the second layer was a cheese cake. Oh, Yum, two of my favorite desserts!

I am making a vow to start walking again, and to lose some weight. If I don't, I am not buying bigger clothes, so I will just buy material and wear it like a toga, wrapped around me. As clumsy as I am, I can imagine the falls that would cause!

Ric, the dog is a keeper. I am thinking you sounded like a proud papa talking and showing us the pictures. Yep, yours even if you wanted to do otherwise.

I got out candles for our 3 windows that face the front of the house, and that is the sum total of my Christmas decorations! I just don't have the energy to get them down from the attic, put everything up, and then after Christmas, take everything down and store it away again. There is a lady in our area that hires the local florist to come decorate for her. Maybe if I come in to an inheritance, I can get that done too!

the packages are the already made kind you find for Garden holiday decorations. i got them at Lowes. ? should be on sale by this point. You can find them at Menards, Home Depot places like that . I used garden staples to help keep them from blowing away.
By dumb luck i found some when cleaning out the barn. LOL woohooo best find ever ! I m also using some bamboo stakes for the taller ones for wind support.
boy today s cold ! brrrr in the 20's
Bonnie i have gained to much weight also. Emotional eating at its best uhg. I will walk with you .

good morning
how is everyone doing ?
brrr its cold out this week.
we may get some rain ?
hope everyone is safe and warm
not much going on here :( gosh when your not working feel like i have nothing to talk about LOL
i may take Lucy for a walk
i did start back at the gym yesterday and i can feel it today.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I have nothing to talk about either, maybe because I've been sick for 3 weeks and haven't done anything. I actually felt decent yesterday and did a few household chores.

Today I hope to get some of the soup stock out of my freezer and get it canned. My freezer is so full I couldn't get a toaster struedel in it, not that I'd ever eat one of those. Bow hunting just opened and one of my self-employed friends is taking 2 weeks off to hunt. I usually get fresh venison from him so I need to make room for it in the freezer.

Good morning, since I am not expecting any new additions to the freezer, grin I can skip Darius' jobs, and Sue, since I didn't go back to the gym, can't tell you about my aches and pains, grin Sue, I guess I am just plain old boring. Nothing new here, but the colder weather.

darius hope you start to feel better soon . Good deal on the deer.
Hi Bonnie. ~~~ how is your Dh doing ?
still don't know what to do today ?
watching Alton Brown

I had to make a trip to the bank with a fellow church member to get her on the signature card for the bank accounts. Washing a load of laundry, and got that when I stripped a bed making sure that my DTS has a nice comfy place to sleep tonight. Need to make some pimento cheese for a supper we are having at church on Friday night, and so it goes. Just piddly things, but all necessary.

i think this is the quiet before the storm ??

Oh, no Sue, what storm do you think we are getting? A weather one? No, you are talking about Christmas aren't you? I have my decorations up. I have 3 windows that face the front of the house, and I have candles in them, and then I put a string of lights down in a very pretty vase, and turned them on, and that is my Christmas tree for this year! Very easy to put out and easy to get the decorations down and put away when it over.

yes Bonnie . the holidays i meant . :) sounds like your house is pretty.
our tree fell yesterday :( i guess lucy tried to grab something off of it ? savannah redecorated it.
so today i m off to town to pick up things. try to get some presents for the kids if there are any toys left LOL

Waddy, KY

Well, I guess we're just a bunch of terribly boring individuals. Nothing exciting going on here either. I did manage to finally finish up all the green tomatoes either in the freezer for jam or in the jar as green tomato relish. Now for the apples. I've still got about 10 bushels in the cooler for market. I sure hope people get in a more buying mood for apples as this next month will probably be the last. Otherwise I get to do something with all those darned things. Right now I made a bunch of apple pie jam yesterday and brought a bunch of strawberries out and made them into jam. Didn't get much done yesterday. DH was in Louisville the past 2 days for lawyer classes so the girls and I have been doing the feeding at night so they wouldn't have to do it in the dark. Yesterday afternoon I ran back on the farm to check on some cows that haven't been getting fed and of course they were in a field where they weren't supposed to be. Fence broke in two places. Back to the house to get fencing supplies. By the time I got back they'd picked up and moved two fields over to where they thought the best grass was. Never mind they had plenty where they were.

We've seperated the ram from the ewes and I've been feeling sorry for him cooped up in the barn so I've been tying him out in the yard. As a result I now have a ram that's broke to lead. Funny how fast he came around when he figured out I was his ticket out of the barn each day. Now if he could just get me to let him back in with the flock. Not gonna happen.

Baking some cakes for market. They're having a holiday bazaar at the church where we have market and it's supposed to be nice tomorrow so I'm hoping that we'll do well. Lexington won't do as well because we have a home UK ballgame tomorrow and none of the regular buyers want to come out while that's going on. Oh well. You don't mess with basketball in this state.

Darius, hope you get to feeling better. 3 weeks is a long time to have the crud. As for exercise, since it's frosted and garden is no more I'm moving on to my winter clothes which are a bigger size. I'll be the broad side of a barn if this keeps up. DD wants a treadmill. She just might get it just so I can use it!

Better get hopping. Got to get the market veggies picked and cleaned up today. At least its a great day to be outside.

Y'all post more. Even if it's to say nothing!

Back from the hospital with older DS. Everything went fine, and we stopped by Cracker Barrel for breakfast after leaving the hospital. As usual older DS sent her food back, it is a given with her, so I wanted to tell the waitress to have another order ready, because that was going to happen. Embarrases me, but it is who she is.

Need to do some more stuff for tonight's church, so will check in later, or more probably tomorrow.

did some christmas shopping.
got some new things for jessica's garden
made two little hats for the guardians of her garden. Got the lights on the tree.
found a nice memorial ornament
found a 2 lbs candy cane LOL that is a must have .. don't cha know
tried Bean Burgers.. ( vegetarian burgers ). they are actually good with some added hot sauce LOL

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey to everybody. I've been down with a lousy bug, including fever dreams that make me more tired than if I hadn't slept. I hope I feel better soon because I really want to start some caramels and some baking, but the kitchen and I are not on friendly terms right now. I've talked to Michele the last couple of days. Nolan is usually chirping around in the background. She is still hoping that she can get a house closer to Mount Orab, and is looking for a job.
That's about all I know at the moment. Need to go eat some more jello.
Pat

Pat, I hope that you are soon well, and up and about, feeling like your old self, or better if that is the case! Is it the horrible virus that has hit here, vomiting and the runs at the other end. Making it impossible to decide which end belongs over the commode first? My sympathies to you!

My family had their Christmas dinner on Sunday, and everybody but the college kids made it. Some I hadn't seen since the summer. It was good, but the food didn't look like there would be enough. I told DH to ask the blessing and whispered that maybe he needed to invoke the prayer that Jesus used when he fed the multitudes. He whispered back, what was that? Hehe, I just said that, and told him that it was all in the way that he uttered the words. Anyway there was enough, with leftovers, so guess his prayer worked! It was funny, we had 3 pecan pies and a lemon pound cake for desserts. Seems like everybody had pecans on the brain.

Had a Dr appointment on Monday, and got good news! She uttered the words that I had wanted to hear for a long time, "for now, you are cancer free". Meaning, and I already knew it, that it could come back at any time. Well, this is the best Christmas gift I could get. Thanks everybody for the prayers, now send a word of thanks for answered prayer.

Janet, how are the markets? Did you get the garlic in the ground, or are you trying to sell it? Just wondering if you had tested your market to see how it would do. I am thinking about adding some apple gourds and some ornamental gourds to a worthless piece of ground, and hope that there will be demand for it at the market this spring. I am going to try it, on a small scale to see how it goes.

Hope all are well and getting ready for Christmas. It will be here before we are ready, or I am ready for sure.

Waddy, KY

Pat, hope you get to feeling better soon. There's a bug going around down there, it takes a week to get moving from it and 3 weeks to feel like you did before you got the darned thing. Hope that's not what you have.

Darius, hope you're feeling better too.

Sue, the decorations are neat. I haven't put the first Christmas anything up. I have at least let my fingers do some shopping. The postlady, UPS man and Fedex man know the way up the drive now. One even brings treats for the dogs. They are in love with him. Still have some stuff to get. Might have to do a little more "finger shopping" this afternoon.

Bonnie, the markets always take a big dive after Thanksgiving. Right now they'll make gas and grocery money but not much else. I planted the garlic cloves from the bulbs that were damaged. Made a row maybe 20 ft. long. We'll see how that goes. The rest will probably slowly sell over the winter. I think you'd probably sell the apple gourds provided you don't have them out the wazoo and a few of the ornamental but don't go overboard. Also, probably need to make sure you pick every gourd out of the field. One of the other vendors didn't a few years ago and he still has volunteer gourds coming up. And of course if they're in with other vining crops you may not be able to see them or tell what they are until they start setting gourds.

Got two pots of salsa tomatoes thawed to go on the stove today. I also need to run over to the other house and water the plants. Need to hook up the gas to the house too before it gets really cold. I'd so hoped we'd be in there this year but that doens't appear to be happening. There's a beam in the floor that needs jacking up because it's settled and I've been trying to get in touch with one of the fellows that worked on it before but apparently he has plenty of work now and doesn't need little jobs because it's been a month and two phone calls and no show. I tried to call yesterday and got his answering machine so I imagine he's dodging my phone calls now. Don't know why they just don't have enough backbone to say, "can't do it" instead of dragging it on. Leaves a much better taste in my mouth.

Made some apple ginger jam last night. I've still got some apples in the fridge to do something with. They're the bruised apples or apples that had spots on them that no one wanted to buy. They'll just go back to the table in a different form.

Has anyone ever substituted powdered fruit pectin for liquid? The powder is much cheaper and I have plenty of that. I have an apple jalapeno jam that I want to try that calls for liquid.

Better get moving.

Waddy, KY

Bonnie, also, good news on the good news. That surely should be one less thing going through your mind as you fall asleep at night. I know it would be for me.

Janet since you have a DH like mine, (mindset) it will be his decision about what gets planted. I have been waiting for him to prepare some ground for my daylilies that need dividing, so judging how long it has taken for that, maybe the farmers market crops will get attention a couple of years from now.

I need to go to votech school and get a refresher course on using farm equipment. I did it all years ago, but probably couldn't start a tractor now. Catch his back turned, and I will have the whole 40 acres plowed and planted!

Waddy, KY

I've tried very hard to not learn how to operate some of the stuff. Don't want to drive the semi or the bulldozer but I'm waiting for ground to be plowed and a septic pit to be dug and the list goes on. Just flat out frustrating. I thought I'd have a high tunnel up by now and I'm still waiting on that too.

Well, there is merit to knowing how to use the machinery. Maybe I will just take over all the farm equipment, and he will have to ask me for permission to use any of it! Hehe. That will be the day.

Waddy, KY

Going to UK today to let Kate look at their AG program. She wasn't really impressed with the general campus tour so I thought I'd let her see part of what she's interested in before she makes up her mind. I picked market veggies yesterday so I wouldn't be so rushed today. This past week has made my broccoli finally head up. There are some heads about the size of a tennis ball forming. I don't know if they'll have a chance to get any bigger or not. The cauliflower is trying but there's a blue zillion aphids in it so I'm not looking for too much. The tiny heads of cabbage are trying to rot down near the bottom. It's safe to say I won't make back the price of the plants on this venture this year. They just got set out way too late and it was way too dry.

Got a double batch of salsa made yesterday. I'm making a little head way on cleaning out the freezers. I want to make some blackberry jam but I can't find which freezer I put them in. Guess I'll just have to make salsa until I find them.

Better get moving. Not making progress sitting here. y'all have a good day.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Congratulations, Bonnie! And I'm glad you had enough loaves and fishes to go around for Christmas dinner, LOL.
Today is the first day I haven't had a fever. I have just been pretty laid out with whatever this is. My house looks like a warehouse for the Salvation Army that exploded. The friend who lived here for a couple months when she was leaving her husband came over and cleaned the kitchen for me, and she's coming back Monday to help some more. With the infected hand and the feverish flu, it's been tough to get anything done. Then this morning I stubbed my little toe on a 30 lb. bag of cat food. I looked down and it was facing a different direction than usual. I felt it & realized I had dislocated my little toe! Good Lord! I popped it back in place, which didn't hurt at all, but now it's all swollen and complaining (just like me!). Apparently I am unable to get through a week without some new injury. This should make tree decorating and cleaning even more fun.

I'm trying to sort out what presents I got people at the craft fair after Thanksgiving. There was a new booth this year called The Celtic Cross. The couple that run it love to haunt cemeteries in the UK and Ireland. They do rubbings of the different styles of Celtic crosses. She then transfers the patterns to cloth and machine embroiders them. They are just gorgeous! I got two framed ones for myself, and some matted prints for others. I'll try & remember to take a picture of a couple of them before I wrap them up. I'm really delighted to have found them.

Well, the UC coach finally found the job that suited him. I feel bad for the players. This makes 3 coaches who have stayed for only 3 years each, all in a row.

EVerybody take care,
Pat

(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone!

After a long break I'm just starting to get caught up on DG again. I'm so sorry to read that all hasn't been good for some, and happy for those who are doing well. Life, there's no explaining it sometimes.

My niece went back to live with her Mother. So once again my husband and I are free to come and go as we please. We got an RV and have done quite a bit of traveling this year. We're going to FL in January and will try to stay for a month. I get home sick easy, and it's hard for him to stay away from his business, but we're going to try. Our animals travel with us and we have a guy that takes care of the chickens while we're away.

It's so nice to see you all again!

Annie

Hi Annie welcome back.
we are training Lucy our dog to respect 'personal space boundries " ...
it could happen !! ... really ?

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Sue, I can see that Lucy is "getting it". Hehe.

Good to see you Annie. Well, don't know if you are at loose ends without the DN, but the trip sounds good. What part of Florida are you visiting? Or will you be moving around?

Nothing going on here, except DH finished his DB's tobacco and will be taking it to market tomorrow. Hoorah for that. It has been a long year for him with all that extra work.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Got back from Texas on 12/2 and was busy last week. I'm having inpatient surgery tomorrow at 10am, just over at our local hospital, Licking Memorial. It's a total abdominal hysterectomy, along with my remaining ovary. Everything's likely benign - cyst, polyp and fibroid - just enough to make me miserable two weeks out of each month. Not looking forward to the recovery or the sudden onslaught of menopause, though. Hopefully they'll be able to get me on a good dose of hormones ASAP. This is my fourth surgery in as many years, but the most complicated. I'm really not wanting to do it, but the alternative is more years of the same pain and I don't want that every month, either. :P Not feeling very upbeat, just wish I could go to be and sleep it away.

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Kim, I hope and pray everything goes smoothly for you. Menopause is not bad at all, not everyone gets the problems commonly associated with it. Personally. I think there is much to recommend it, and I am sure you will think the same shortly. You sound like you just had a wonderful trip.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon everyone!!! Big smiles here!!
Did anyone miss me besides Bonnie????? Thank you for the card Bonnie!
I had let my DG subscription lapse...don't ask me why...just got lazy I guess.? But my best and dearest internet friend just renewed it for me! He said he owed me cause I sent him plants for his new home..ha!
I am glad to be back...and will try to stay up with you all here.
I've been really busy going to Christmas programs and basketball games. My two grandkids that live close by seem to be into everything and more!! Yes...I'm glad they are...keeps them out of trouble and helps them develop into responsible adults.
Dawson played peewee football this fall, and Ashley was on the volleyball team. Now she is playing basketball for the 7th grade team. They are 4-0, with another game tonight! Fun to watch!
She is also in the band and the chorus...so very busy!
I am already waiting..impatiently, for Spring!!
I soo don't like winter!
Janet...I know I didnt get your hydrangea cuttings to you...and I apologize for that. I will try again this year, ok? I don't even have a good excuse...just didn't get to it. Seems I get slower all the time!!! And I dislike that even more than winter...LOL!!!
Ok...need to get busy here. Making vegetable soup for supper, to eat after the ball game at 5. It's a home game..so that's good!
Thanks again Don (Tropicman) for my renewal...I really do appreciate it!!

Kim, I too am hoping that the surgery goes well and the recovery is without any problems. You will feel much better and if there are problems, just get the Dr to put you on some hormones for a bit. Mine wouldn't do it, as she is ultra conservative, but maybe you will get luckier than me!

Marcy, so glad to see you back. I thought the problem was your computer, and was getting ready to start a fund to buy you one! I know what you are saying about winter. Don't like it and we haven't even had any really bad weather yet. I guess that comes in Jan and Feb, just making us wish for spring all that much harder.

I have been through a very tough year, not able to garden much at all, but I am recovered and well, and looking forward to being able to get out and do lots come spring.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Bonnie.
And I had some sad news from Tropicman right after I posted. He had a fire in his greenhouse last night. He and his wife are safe, but he lost one of his parrots to smoke.....and some of his plants also. Not sure about his other birds yet. They lived in the greenhouse. It seems his woodrack was too close to his barrel stove. He had put logs in about 1 am or so...and at 3 am he woke to smell smoke. Thankfully, his son lives in front of him...and he called him to help.
This was a new greenhouse he had built onto his new house in Texas....don't know all the details yet, but he said he and Patti were ok....thank God!

Oh, Marcy, so sorry to hear that news about Tropicman. I know that it was enough of a loss if just what you reported is all. Hope that there was not damage to the house. Great that the DS lived so close. Fires are devastating. I am so afraid of them, as our first house burned and it happened so quickly.

Janet, are you all caught up on your canning and baking and everything else? Quite a bit of rain we had the last week wasn't it? It put the levels of the ponds and lakes over here up to about where they should be. Sounds like we are going to get a rerun of it this coming week.

DH has only about 11 tiers of tobacco left hanging. I can't imagine why it wasn't put down the last time that it was in case. Of course with all the rain, it was like a wet rag, so had to let it go out and then hope that it comes in so that he can get it down, stripped and sold. This will free lots of his time that he has devoted to his DB's crops. He has been going rabbit hunting, and has been bringing in at least a couple every time he goes. He has good dogs, and brags on them all the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.