Plant Question #1

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

This plant has been outside on the south facing covered patio. It was doing fine. I brought it inside and put in a atrium door/window that is connected to the same patio and I have a plant light there because it seemed it was not getting enough sunlight. Since the move, it is somewhat droopy and looks like the attached picture.

Any ideas what the problem may be? Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome. I really don't want to lose it. If I can get it through the winter I am planning to put it in the ground.

The second pic is from it's home on the patio.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2012 10:18 PM

Thumbnail by GreenThumbSuker Thumbnail by GreenThumbSuker
Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Philo. Selloum (sp?) Check for spider mites. 1st pix looks like it got too much sun perhaps. They do not do well in full sun.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you.. I checked for spider mites and I do not see any signs.... However, your comment of too much sun/light may be the problem. When I brought it side and put it by that window I thought that since it had been moved inside and the patio outside is covered that it might suffer from "possible" less light. I then put a plant light on it as well. -- I will remove it and see if that helps.

I generally water it every week or so, based on a "finger test". I water thoroughly allowing the water to drain into the catch underneath and then I use a shopvac to remove all the excess water.. I have to wonder if I am giving it too much water. Should I allow it to dry out more than 1 inch into the soil?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Giving it enough water so you can see it run out the bottom is a good idea - if you only do that once a month or so. Regular waterings should be less. That plant can do fine on not a lot of water my experience says.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

If I was playing the odds, I'd bet heavily on over-watering. I don't see any indication of sunburn (photo-oxidation) at all. Mites are a possibility, but wouldn't cause the foliage to droop unless the infestation was severe enough it was eminently evident. Your soil should be allowed to become quite but not completely dry DEEP in the pot between waterings. Use a wood dowel rod or skewer stuck deep in the soil as a 'tell'. If it comes out damp/cool/dark-looking, withhold water until it shows the soil to be dry. Allowing your plants to wilt is stressful, and not a good thing, but in the o/a scheme of things, it's better to make a mistake on the dry side and see a little wilting than it is to have your plant continually suffering the ill effects & limitations imposed by a soggy soil.

You might find this link to be of interest: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1226030/

Al

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you both..

I actually bought some wooden dowels this morning because I feared that I was not able to check the soil deep enough.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I checked the water deeper in the pot and realized it is too wet. I became suspect that maybe my container was too big. I potted down being careful not to disturb the main roots as much as possible. I put it back in the spot at the window adjacent to the south facing covered patio, and I can already see improvement. The leaves are no longer limp and it just looks happier.

Thanks for your help..

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Over watering is the single biggest killer of houseplants. Good that you are checking the soil dampness now!

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I'm very happy with the results.

Thank you all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.