Patchouli?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Greets:

A friend gave us her ailing patchouli plant last year.

I tried to keep it, it continued to decline. It looked like it was going to die, so I cut the top off to try to root it.

That piece rooted, and the main plant stayed alive as well. Now both plants still look sickly, despite my efforts.

I wonder if anyone has had luck with patchouli as an indoor houseplant?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you post some pictures and describe how you're caring for them (light, watering, fertilizer, etc)? In the absence of any other info, watering issues are probably the most common problems so I'd guess maybe they're getting watered too much or something along those lines, but some pictures and better description of their living arrangements would help.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for your reply.

Sure - actually they're just frozen in time. I brought them in from outdoors this week. I did notice some wilt and a couple of yellow leaves but that was from lack of water this time.

I don't suppose I'm caring for them much at all right now. I transplanted them into some I think MG potting mix this summer. One is in a 2" sq. pot and the other in a 4" sq. plastic pot. Both have small healthy green foliage, but they are not growing at all. They're not growing, but they're not dying either. Maybe some plant food. I also have some super thrive that I could mix in.

So what I'm saying is that I've sort of tried EVERYTHING since the plant was given to me in early spring/late winter. I am actually pleased that they are still alive.

I just read that they want heat and humidity. If that's true I can put them in my green iguana's room which stays 70-80 deg in winter and 45%+ humidity.

So thoughts on someone else's ideal growing conditions, if you have them, are what I would like to hear about.

Thanks. :)

A.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

p.s. I haven't fertilized them because I thought the MG potting mix was supposed to have that mixed in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.