Sandy's Coming

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

It is starting to be reported that Hurricane Sandy will have a major impact on the Mid Atlantic region. Time to prep for high winds and rain/snow and attendant power outages is NOW.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

As NOAA’s Hydrometeorological Prediction Center writes:

“THERE IS INCREASING CONSENSUS AMONG THE GUIDANCE FROM THE VARIOUS MODELING CENTERS... THE ENTIRE ATLANTIC BASIN SEEMS DESTINED TO BECOME DOMINATED BY BLOCKY HIGHS AND LOWS, WITH DECREASING WIGGLE ROOM FOR EVEN LARGE FEATURES LIKE SANDY. ”

Round-up of voices/opinions about this storm

Jeff Masters, wunderground: “Sandy: a potential billion-dollar storm for the mid-Atlantic and New England”

Dr. Greg Forbes, the Weather Channel: “A worst-case scenario of Hurricane Sandy or some hybrid (mixed with a cold front and jet stream system coming toward it) could bring a widespread destructive windstorm to some part of the Northeast from Sunday into early next week. Prior to then, heavy rain, strong gusty winds, large waves and maybe storm surge are possible for coastal areas from FL to NJ.”

Bryan Norcross, the Weather Channel: “....it’s not often that credible forecast models consistently forecast a historic event, and with more models leaning that way, we need to be aware and pay attention along the entire U.S. East Coast.”

Joe Lundberg, AccuWeather: “....the evidence seems to be mounting toward the convergence of these two weather systems into an historic storm early next week.”

Alex Sosnowski, AccuWeather: “The realm of possibilities continues to range from Sandy escaping out to sea, with nothing more than blustery, much cooler air sweeping in, to a dynamic storm turning inland packing coastal flooding, flooding rainfall, high winds, downed trees, power outages, travel mayhem and even Appalachian snow.”

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Judy--

I have been listening and reading about this as well.
This weekend--i will have to bring in whatever is still loose in my garden.
Mostly anything in small pots--definitely all my 'juvenile" CC's.
Will be sending 4 of them to JB next Monday. One each color. Red,White, Salmon and Pink.

Most of my plants are in already. Brugs are still outside--with the Dr. in a last, big bloom flush.
The cannas are still blooming--sporadically. I usually dig those up after the frost has killed the tops.

Thanks for being our "Guardian Angel" with all that is going on.

Gita

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

YIKES!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is a warning from BG&E on how to prepare for the possible coming storm.

http://www.bge.com/Article%20Documents/Tropical%20Storm%20Sandy%20Prep%20Release%201%20-%2010.24.12.pdf

This was on the Perry hall Patch page just now.

Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I am wishing away this storm. It is inconvenient.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ditto to Devon's....WILL this 'lady' east...hard east

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

11 o'clock news says many stores sold out of generators today. Hard to live with the possibility of extended power outages when memory of the last storms and outages is still so fresh.

My elderly newspaper customers are quite concerned. Glad it's not real cold weather. Many trees were taken out by last two storms...or taken down by home owners. Seems to me that the wind direction this time will stress trees from a new direction, so who knows?

Planning to fill any space in my freezer with bottles of water...good for ice and then for drinking.

Will clear out gutters on Sunday...check that storm drains are clear...gas up cars in am and new wiper blades all around.

Thanks for info Gita and Jen.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Waiting to see what kind of mess this storm leaves behind.
I am leaving for the US Virgin Islands on Sat. Wonder how hard they got hit. I only here on the news about Jamaica and Bahamas. The friends that set up this Dive Trip live on a sail boat in the Virgin Islands. Going to see what I can find out on the Net.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This AM news on the radio says that there is now a 90% chance that Sandy will come ashore.
They are now saying it may come ashore more around NJ , W. Pa, and NY. --and up to new England.

High tides and flooding all around the Bay.
Coleup--good idea putting water bottles in thew freezer. Of course in my freezers--there is NO room!

I can just see it now--Sunday when I am on the phones at HD. There will be panic calls every 2 minutes for Generators....
We went through that with the last storm. People think they can wait until the emergency hits and then
just walk into a HD and buy a generator, a snow blower, or an AC (in the 100* heat we had).
It will be busy...busy......
At least we have loads and loads of pellets. We (all the stores) have been inundated with home office buys of pellets.
Our store is, almost, running out of places to put the pallets of pellets...(say that 3 times fast.....:o) )
Gita

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

THanks for the alert- I tend to downplay these things in my head, I will start by filling the freezer extra space with extra ice. For me the loss of electric for food storage is #1. #2 is loss of power to the well. But we belong to a gym so we can shower there. Rain buckets for flushing. I figured I'd bring the potted plants in this weekend ahead of next weeks chill anyway.

Good luck Holly! We' hate for that to have messed up your plans.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heading to store now.

Putzing about on the internet now.

HEY- I may be deprived of it later when the storm hits ROFL

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Loads of pellets?

Home heating or a rabbit ranch? (Its my day off! Feelin frisky!)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy--

YES! Loads of pellets! And they are still only $209.00 for the full ton.

I remember last winter--it was $295.00 a ton. I suppose it could be the suppliers raising prices,
but usually, pellets come in at the end of August as do snow-blowers, etc...

I think the early season prices of pellets are usually lower than when the big freeze hits.

Go get them, Girl!!!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is the latest tracking of Sandy...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20121026/US.Super.Storm/?cid=hero_media

From my X-finity Home page.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

A very prominent and respected National Weather Service meteorologist wrote on Facebook last night,

I’ve never seen anything like this and I’m at a loss for expletives to describe what this storm could do.

Word around this area is 50/50 for a direct hit somewhere between Norfolk and south Jersey. 30-40 MPH sustained winds and plenty of rain for 3 - 4 days.

This is way more than inconvenient, lol, especially if you have to deliver newspapers daily during the duration. Wonder how allof those droughty rooted trees will lose their footing in the muddy deluge?

Note to self...find hard hat and work boots.

Wonder if a lower price on pellets this season has anything to do with supply of downed trees? Cord wood is much cheaper this year with almost a page of craigslist ads.

Another note to self.....locate tarps and heavy sheet plastic and bungie cords.
Put important papers, etc in sealable plastic bags now.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2012 10:50 AM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What is a pellet? Seriously. I assume you don't mean alfalfa....

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Happy, pellets in this discussion are a minimally processed wood product used for fuel in pellet stoves. Pellet stoves are like wood burning stoves but can be installed almost anywhere and are cleaner and more efficient heaters for those who wish supplemental or backup heat source. They do look a bit like alfalfa pellets!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Don't think it will effect my travel plans, just wondering if they got hit with this storm. Can't find anything on that region so I am thinking it might have missed them. I'm out working on my water plants got most of them in the ground. I have also been looking around to see what will need to be put away before we get hit with a lot of wind. Looks like they are still calling for nice weather in our area tomorrow. Need to get the Gazebo top off.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We have some wood to get inside as well.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Coleup -- I had no idea!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly,

My brother and his wife are in the British Virgin Island this week. When I spoke with them Wednesday they hadn't had any rain yet and the forecast for the rest of the week was 30% rain, which is very typical. I think you should be good the storm was west of the VI if anything they got a smattering of rain. It sounds like a great trip! Enjoy.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Wish I was heading there with you, Holly.

Got water freezing and will collect more water for general uses tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what develops.

happy- you city girl LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy---

Here is a pallet of Pellets. 50 bags--each weighs 40lbs.

Looks like the price just went up $60! Last i checked--Wednesday) it was $209 for the ton.
It says "premium" pellets, which means low ash residue.
I thought that was we always carried.......

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202672617/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=278-448&storeId=10051#.UIrp92e769s

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

SallyG -- I've gotta correct you -- we just hack down the trees in our neighbor's back yards and burn them for warmth. It's the city folk who do this fancy-shmancy pellet business.

Got it, happy!
8^)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

we have a pellet stove but won't do us any good if the electricity goes out, would rather have a wood burning stove, but the pellet stove came with the house

Went to Longwood Gardens today and people out there were stocking up on bottled water, was surprised since they are so far inland

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Have a great trip Holly! Looks like you will get out before slow moving Sandy gets here.
We'll expect a full report with pics when you return.
Hope all on the home front stays safe and stays put!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Jen, as to your comments on people stocking up around Longwood Gardens...

It is my understanding that Sandy has what they call a 'wind field'
that is already 900 miles across which can almost double once landfall and merger with approaching front from the west will double 'energy' available as wind and rain over the entire area and as far inland as Ohio.

Gita, I'm glad your maple is almost leafless! The twelve oaks within 'reach' of my house still have 80 per cent of their leaves.

Got two robocalls yesterday-one from county and one from BGE- and an e-mail from my insurance company.

Off to fill another vehicle with gas and then start bringing in my plants.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sitting here listening to WBAL--it is always on in all my rooms---sounds like Monday to Tuesday
will be a wet nightmare...They also said the storm will hit a bit further North than expected.

If you all can--check that your gutters are free of leaves and trash.
Make sure your sump pump is in good working condition.
Take the time to secure any loose items in your yard--trashcans, pots, lawn chairs and patio tables, etc...
As funny as this sounds--throw all your patio furniture inside your swimming pool--IF you have one.

The Baltimore area is expected to get 5"-10" of rain and a lot of flooding along the waterways.
Also high winds up to 50mph.

And--please--if you have any elderly or disabled neighbors, give them a hand today to get things
safely put away. Maybe do some grocery shopping for them as well.

Everyone--PLEASE stay safe! Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This was on my Xfinity (my e-mail server) home page. this AM.

This is a bit long--but read it if you can.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20121027/US.Superstorm/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Heading out next Sat Nov 3rd. So I will be here for the storm.

Had a good laugh this morning. Mark's friend called yesterday and asked if he knew where he could get a generator....

Wow. That is one heck of a lot of rain.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I was just at Lowes--and there were all kinds of people wheeling out Generators.
They must have gotten a shipment in... G.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just reading the updates, 3 storms colliding and higher tides cause of the full moon = high winds+ 1' of rain+ 2' of snow, gonna be a major mess here in NJ

Is it going to be cold enough to be snow somewhere?

I spent all afternoon on storm prep= I moved my Peanut butter shrub, split some Iris and lifted my too deep Peonies, in advance of all the rain that will soak them in. And got leaves into the compost bin to get wetted down. And finally bought my fall pansies.
b d
( that's my thumbs up)
But seriously- it looks very dangerous. Thankfully there is a lot of warning.

I didn't think about buying gasoline but I heard that the price is up sharply in Ohio.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.