Brugmansia springtime #1

Clifton Springs, Australia

Ivoire will beat them Jean, he has long legs...lol
Even the thought of pruning him, sends a shudder thru Ray....he can just grow to his heart's content and shelter the others growing around him...I can't think of him in feminine terms, he's just too big....
If he was female he'd be a Russian lady weightlifter......

Sorry that you aren't getting any rain, Allan, we've had 2 good years after a long drought in Victoria...so we know what it's going to be like for you if it doesn't rain soon....how are the dams up there?

It's such a great time of year in Brugmansia growing isn't it......seeds popping up, new cvs on the horizon, pods ripening sooner or later..lol
,...oooh I can't wait.
Dianne.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2012 3:17 PM

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

I think that every one should get there pens and labels out and re-mark there names or do a scratch plan of your garden and make it on there where & what plants you have
i have been out side all day fertilizing and re labelling all my 3"pot many labels have started to fade so im now using 2 ID markers 1: LQD paper on the pots 2: Brother P-touch labeller with an abbreviated code eg: (Bergfeuer x.Super Spot) x.(White Double x. Double Dark Rosetta) = BSSxWDDDR 2/12
this is making it easier to read the tags and i dont have to do a dance with a pen on a 3"x1cm label that i can only get 1/2 the plant cross on

I have a bloom on my Maya it is the first flower that i have had so waiting patiently for her to pop and show me what she is made of

You will like her Shaun, she's a very reliable, pretty flower and her leaves are a bonus.

I'm trying the bubbler method on my branches that I had to chop the other day...has anyone else tried it?
I've never tried to grow large cuttings before so I thought that it would be fun to try...
I used to have a very large fish tank and still had the air pump...

This message was edited Oct 22, 2012 4:53 PM

1: Maya 1st flower for me of this variety Woho
2: Axelrose
3: Betty Marshal(seedling) x.Rosalla with no beans
4:Betty Marshal(seedling) x.Rosalla with beans
they are both doing well but i think that the one with the beans is lacking behind the one with out it for some reason, I am giving them both the same treatment so there should not be any real difference other then the beans and what they can do for the soil

Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan
barmera, Australia

Dianne, from memory I did think that this flower was smaller, maybe not shorter, but smaller, but that might just be a first flower and the others will open larger and have a larger neck. Colleen

barmera, Australia

I found the names for Alan's cold brugs. [thank goodness] I knew they were here with my brug stuff but couldn't see them. Ah well it all ends well. Pod2# which has a bud is Rosa Lila X Mystic Ice and the Pod1# is Mobisu X Hurstwood Bryony. Hope I have some luck. Colleen

Nice colours in there, Colleen......I'm sure that you will grow a beauty...
The Sphaeros seem to be growing faster than ever now....they seem to have acclimatised and they know it's Spring, they will all need repotting soon.....especially those Vulsas.
Alistair is having success with his by the looks of it...he has posted some pretty ones of late...

Dianne

Good morning everyone, I hope you all are not expecting the 36C with high winds, that we expect our way today. A bit scary.
i hate to think what it would mean to cool climate Brugs (and it isn't Summer yet !). Good luck everyone with your coldies, looks like a hot Summer ahead, unlike the past few.

It is still hard going out there in my Brug garden, the poor things are putting out the new leaves and because the day temps are way up it is like mid Summer heat, not a great thing.
I did find these opened over night, quite pale but cute, these are Wayne's Brugs, PP x ? I can't get up close.
1)2) 3)
Winged beans popping up ...amazing considering the cool nights (must be the heat of the day that does it). 4)

Jungle in the early morning sun ...as you can see the tall sticks are just starting up in that area, it got some frosts over Winter but is slowly recovering. So late this year ... 5)
I worry about the babies in this kind of heat, but what can you do ? I have to work today (am working most of the time now as hubby can't do much at the moment, but his wound is healing thank goodness.
I hope everyone has a lovely bruggy day in the garden.

chrissy ^_^

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

We are getting the high winds, Chrissy...it's blowing a gale, started out very warm and now it's cold....
I like the look of those little beans...and the PP x's are pretty with the bougainvillea back drop.

One of my PP fasc pods is either ripening or rotting due to snail damage....I'll cut it off when this wind dies down....it has to be separated from it's twin so I don't want them bobbing around while I separate them...

Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger
Brisbane, Australia

This is a photo of Wayne's 'Frilly Dilly' taken a few days back befire the winds came and shredded it. Very nice bloom, white with a little green veining. The bloom is not as large as I was expecting but it has a very long green calyx. Very nice perfume. Has many more flower buds forming on the small plant so should be a good bloomer.

Dianne, Brisbane is experiencing one of the driest Springs in many years but the dams are still good(96% full) because of the very good rain in the first half of the year.
Looks like you will have plenty of seeds soon with one of the twin PP pods ripening.
I have several seedling plants of MC X PP and a couple of the Fernando X PP. My germination rate of the Fernando X PP was very low(only about 20% success rate) but have a few more seeds left to sow another batch.

Allan

Thumbnail by boolarong204

Thank goodness, your dams have plenty of water, Allan.....bucketing water is back breaking....
My seeds from you, have only been in a week so I have a while yet and with this uneven weather it might be even longer...
Frilly Dilly is a very nice result of your cross of Fernando, I like the dainty whites as well as the big ones like my Topsy.

I have put a long cutting that wouldn't put out any roots, into the bubbler, so now I have 5 pieces in there....
I didn't put anything else into the water...I see that a few people on the BGI thread are going to try it too, I wouldn't have done if I had to buy an aerator, but I see that they can buy one for only $10....
I know that it's not really necessary as our cuttings grow pretty easily, but If it helps with larger cuttings then I will use it again.

Still can't separate the twins, it's far too windy.

Dianne.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2012 3:29 PM

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thank you Allan.

Cairns, Australia

1 Aztec Gold 2 Mango Cornet 3 others

Thumbnail by Gena1234 Thumbnail by Gena1234 Thumbnail by Gena1234

What a pretty shape Allan ! ^_^ Congratulations to both you and Wayne.

Love your Brug garden Gena !

Good luck with your seeds Dianne ...this heat ripened two of my pods overnight (or cooked them).

It's a bit of a horror story out there with the 28spotted Ladybirds- not having had the time to squish the plants I can reach as well as the taller ones I can't reach, but I did notice the friendly Ladybirds are here now, so hopefully they will clean a few up.

One of these pods is a Maya x ?
The other is Fifi x ?
The seeds are quite large and healthy looking (funny because I almost wished they were not present).
Of course I feel compelled to try the Maya even though I know there will be Albinos.

Some of my seedlings from overseas are throwing Albinos (interesting).
I hope everyone enjoys their day, thank goodness it is 10C cooler today and overcast, so we have some relief 26C is too hot too for me but a so much better than 36C.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Oopsy I accidentally posted a picture twice here is the one I meant to post ...Maya x ?

I see that the blooms on wayne's PP x ? cross are still thick strong and a darker colour, the petal tips remain upright, it is waxy and a very nice little trumpet, I must try and get a pic later, my battery went flat because it is quite dark out there.

chrissy

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

Nothing much going on here. The weather is cold again. The brugs are getting used to it I think. Goodness knows what they will do if we get along hot summer.
Probably all want to come inside...lol

My pods are still not ready even though they are large.
Its been a long time so I hope they hurry up and do something.

Even GHA is bare of flowers at the moment.
He's still trying to reach the clouds , but will soon start putting out lots of buds.
I have buds coming all over BB and Ivoire is still a little shy about showing a leg in this cold weather.
I think shes a bit scared the wind will blow her skirt up...lol

I have all my teenagers around under the ash tree so they can be easily watered and have lots of shelter.
The sangs are still growing and the largest one still in the shadehouse is now touching the roof.
I think he will have to come outside.

I thought I may see a bud or two on the sangs with Ys but nothing as yet.

My latest lot of seeds planted are now popping heads up.
The few I grew through winter are sturdy little things with a thicker little trunk than usual.
Must be their reaction to the cold. .

Lots of nice looking seeds Chrissy. I hope you get something pretty from them.

Better get myself out and check around the garden to see whats going on.
Jean.

Cairns, Australia

Here is a picture of Golden Lion ( which a friend gave me ) I just watered and took the pic so more colour to come ( tomorrow )

Thumbnail by Gena1234 Thumbnail by Gena1234

Hi Gena ...I have asked for a place in the BGI Gallery for Golden Lion, it may take a day or two but it would be lovely if you could post it in there for us ^_^ I will let you know and give you a link when the frame pops up. It is a registered Brugmansia.
http://www.brugmansia.us/cultivars/cultivars.html/_/915
Did you see the place for Mango cornet yet ? Pictures can go in there as well.

Good luck with the pods yet to ripen Jean ...can't wait to see your blooms whenever the weather allows.

chrissy

Chrissy those seeds looks like they will have some amazing plants in them in the future
looks like many seed per pods what are you ever going to do with them hahahah

Gena what a lovely Brug Sanctuary you have up there love that Statues you have also

i have just had for the first time MAYA bloom she is a smaller type bloom i was expecting a little larger and wider mouth for some reason
I have now had all my seedlings out of the hot houses for the last 3 days to harden off in this cold wet weather but they seem to be doing well even with the rain.

i have Dr Seuss 1 bloom also its looking like the 1 armed bandit of brugs for me at the moment
Pic 1,2 Maya
Pic 3 De Seuss
Pic 4,5 sanguinea Mt Dandy look how close to the grond the bud is well it is on the ground but its got like about 10 buds on this plant so i will be pollinating it with what ever i can, I do have some sanguinea Midas pollen in the fridge, i think i have arborea also so ill try them and see what may come of that but i also have the Vulsa 'Zunac' crosses and the one from the experiment from BGI from Mike in the US

Hope the weather is not to cold for all of you guys
Allan your having a bad spell with the weather but im sure it will come good soon. BTW great so see your crosses hit the BGI seed bank also
Looks like Australia are really helping out the Community

Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan

Here you go Gena ...Al has put it in.

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/1074-golden-lion/

A place all ready for you ! We would love to see some pics of Golden lion in there, many thanks. ^_^

That Pic of Dr S is a stunner Shaun please pop that into the Gallery, it's a great close up.
By the way that Ochre from up North is Dr S IMO or something very similar ...it isn't Ochre.
The Maya blooms turn a lovely Apricot colour after a couple of days when the temps are right.
Of course it is the same bloom as Axelrose, I like them very much.Pale in difficult temps.
good luck with your coldies.

chrissy

Thanks chrissy the Ochre is not Dr Seuss from up north he has
Dr seuss as Golden Cornet which is wrong but still ill be looking for it from some one else i do have a contact for it the person is from Gardening Australia so i shall give her a call soon so she can come an check out my garden and blooms of Brugs i meet her @ Alistairs BOOK launch back in May

I think that there will be a lot more Australian plants in the Gallery in the next year or so im 100% sure of that as we are growing by the BUCKET load and should have some amazing crosses come throw
GO GENA

Golden Lion is from that place up North Shaun so we don't know what that is either, but I don't think it's one we already have under another name, but who knows. Yes you are right I am tired and forgot to check, yes Dr S that is the one he has as GK. I recall the one he has as Ochre is not correct though, pretty sure Alistair said it wasn't but I had better go to bed vefore I make any other nanna moments :)
yes go Gena ! and everyone, hope you are all ok up North it looks awfully dry and hot. take care .

nightie night all.

chrissy

This message was edited Oct 26, 2012 11:45 PM

Came back to say thanks Gena ^_^ looks great !

chrissy

Here we are this morning ...still quiet out there in the Brug Garden, except for the munchers !
These lovely blooms of PPx ? (Wayne Carter) have been knocked around by the 36C wind then the dramatic drop in temps, not to mention the munchers found the one on the right. Very pretty tone to the eye lovely waxy texture. Nice floral fragrance.

Then there is poor Axelrose head right up past the clothes line in the cottage garden area, it copped the full on burn the day before yesterday but amazingly is in reasonable if somewhat damaged bloom.I like it more than Maya. The green on green is very 70's Paisley to my eye. Impressed by the way it handled that heat coming straight out of cold temps.The blooms turn a lovely deep apricot peach in the Autumn.It is almost always in bloom.

Last but never least is the lovely (and somewhat cheeky) Ivoire ^_^ (complete with muncher).

Have a fun day everyone !

chrissy

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Cairns, Australia

Thank you all for that, I just put 2 more picture of Golden Lion with more colour a day older, and a picture of Mango Cornet.
Gena

Cairns, Australia

Here they are. 1 same bloom Golden Lion ( 1 day more )
2 same
3 Mango Cornet

Thumbnail by Gena1234 Thumbnail by Gena1234 Thumbnail by Gena1234

Had to spend a night away from home, so didn't post the PPfasc, X RFP seeds.....remember RFP is Frosty Pink but it is one from Colleen's area..
I imagine that most have seen them on BGI anyway...

I was very pleased that the seed cases contained nice, plump little seeds and they have been drying nicely in the 24 hrs since I saw them last.......
I think that they will dry pretty quickly because there wasn't any of that gelatinous substance that has been in most of my pods....I must look up the correct terminology for that....

I'll send these seeds to anyone in our group who would like to try them....the other pod can go to BGI and a few BGI members who have expressed interest early in the saga.
The PPfasc x Bruce's Pink isn't showing any signs of ripening yet......so if your preference is for that cross, then just let me know....

I know that everyone is weighed down with OS seeds at the minute, so if you can't manage anymore, that's fine.
Allan,Jean I will send yours asap....I'll start mine off tomorrow....
The pic is of the seeds today and the remaining twin....the pod sticking out on the side is one of the PPfasc x BP twins, I can't see it's sibling in the pic...the brown patch on the remaining twin is sunburn, not a sign of ripening... :-(
Dianne

This message was edited Oct 27, 2012 1:17 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger

Gena lovely Pictures ^_^ which one do you like best out of Mango Cornet and Golden Lion ? just curious.

Dianne could you put me down for the second cross please, do you want any of mine in exchange ? I don't have Bruce's Pink, would you like to swap something for a piece of that one ? it's ok if you haven't enough to spare, perhaps someone else may have it. Happy to swap something for it.
Good luck with the second pod and Congratulations on the first pod. I hope it is full of pretty babies.

chrissy

No probs Chrissy, I will send along the cuttings next week...and I will save the seeds for you and send as soon as they are ready.....thank you for the offer of a swap, but I am trying not to acquire any more cvs unless I grow them....Did I say that?....I must be nuts.....
I am going to grow out as many of the PP x's as I can....so my spare spaces will be full of PP babies...
I wouldn't have asked Shaun for DP&G, but the pics everyone posted of it drove me to temptation...

Nice pics again Gena...Golden Lion is very nice.....
Ivoire will be a lot larger now the sun is shining up there, Chrissy
Jean, tell your Ivoire that Chrissy's will be bigger and out it will come...
Dianne.

Chrissy those plants including Axelrose look great he is doing great guns for you, i am now noticing the variegate on him also now that there is more light out there i could see a bit but not a lot till the other day very nice indeed

Gena love the Pics of those Lion's & M Cornet and it's starting to look a little like the Australia pic Gallery over at BGI Keep posting there Guys we have a lot of Varieties and there are still many slots that have not been placed some of your ones chrissy or have they not been registered and they are only working names????????

Dianne i am so glade that every one has DP'n'G and it will be a great addition to your Gene pool weather you use it or not she is just a Beauties!!!!!

the seed and the pods have done you well im sure and i see there is going to be an influx of Australia seed to the seed bank this year CONGRATS to all

Allan has already sent seed over to the BGI seed Bank and im sure that they will lap the lot up.
I may have to send the Autumn seed over to them also so that i don't have a fridge full of 2-3-4 year old seed if some one can use them well why not

Dianne that is very generous thankyou ^_^ yes, it will be so exciting watching everyone's new babies in the coming months.

Yes Shaun it is lovely to see the Australian pics and seeds OS.
Take a big bow all of you.

Special thanks to Gena, we love to see unseen Brugs pics posted both here and in the BGI Galleries. It helps us all.

I have visitors coming, so I just wanted to say thankyou again and enjoy your Sunday, fairly cool so far here ...with a lovely temperate day ahead.

chrissy

Cairns, Australia

I do like them both, Mango Cornet is the bigger bloom, that is hard to choose, for each bloom is nice in all of them.

Cairns, Australia

Here is a picture of Frilly Pink in flower and others.
1 Frilly Pink
2 Frilly Pink
3 Double White
4 Double White
5 Double White ( not clear )

Thumbnail by Gena1234 Thumbnail by Gena1234 Thumbnail by Gena1234 Thumbnail by Gena1234 Thumbnail by Gena1234
Cairns, Australia

This one got on E-bay as Grand Marnier ( ha ha ha ) and I have seeds drying if any one would like some D-Mail me More seed to come, ( better crosses,All with Buck Fizz, parent pod Buck Fizz )
1 Grand Marnier ( NOT )
2 seeds ( Buck Fizz x Apricot unnamed ) Buck Fizz pod holder.

Thumbnail by Gena1234 Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena what lovely blooms there live them all your beating us to the post with blooms as we are going to have a late spring with this weather

That plant you got as 'Grand Marnier' looks more like 'Frosty Pink' but wait for others to be sure

Your frilly pink is interesting it looks like it could have a bit of insignis about it but Alistair will know better so if he comes in for a visit it would be good to get his advice on this one

Cairns, Australia

I forgot Red Hot Pink flower again. ( thank you Shaun ) the status below is mother and child .

Thumbnail by Gena1234
barmera, Australia

Hi everyone. The second seedling of Arborea X Sanguinea has opened now. Still white and looks like his Mum Arborea but a lot smaller bloom this time. Here's some pics. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris Thumbnail by ctmorris

I love it.....tiny blooms and all.

Dianne.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful pictures everyone! Love them!

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne, it's nice to hear from you.

These are some of my hopefuls for this year....along the path in front of the bridge....
With a bit of luck, some of them will flower, I wonder if there is a good one in there......

One that I'm waiting for is a Tantra X of Alistairs, I liked it when he posted a pic up a couple of years ago and he kindly sent me a cutting...it was so slow to grow, as he said it would be, but I was determined to see it in flower...this year it is growing like a normal aurea, big strong growth....it's growing in the ground underneath Ivoire, maybe it likes Ivoire's company because in the pot and in it's last position in the ground it didn't move..

The PP fasc. seeds have been planted and so it's settle back now for a 2 yr wait probably....I don't care, it's been very enjoyable getting to this stage......
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.