Oct. 2012, here is Fall, another mild Winter?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I would love to get that mag but for me to get it, it will be $20 a year I think. I used to get free ones from Powell Gardens but I hardly ever make it out there anymore due to work being so crazy.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Here's that driveway photo again. Dang, I just clicked the photo, making sure even to NOT click the red x and it removed it from my earlier post, I just wanted to see how it looks on DG.
Here is some of the driveway now, we worked Sat. at clearing it pretty good. -
Eeekk, $20 a year, that is kinda steep for that magazine. It is worth free. It's kinda like some other magazines of note, many, many ads. I suppose it's kinda like ahem.. a Playboy, a few good pages and a whole lot of ads! But, in the Kansas City Gardener, the ads aren't that bad because it's informative ads that might actually come in handy because it's companies mostly nearby or within driving distance easily, selling services and stuff that you might actually need. Also, they have to pay for free I suppose.
Well, that's just my 2 cents, not breaking the magazine down, I enjoy it! ^_^

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Just stopped in to say HI!! We have a free garden mag of sorts here called Going Green, Lots of ads but interesting.

Only somehow I would bet you have heard that title expression before,seems a little familiar to me from some place.(hee hee)

I see.. I am likened to a Playboy?! I must say I do like that lifestyle of Hef's, but alas, I don't think I could always wear the robe! How do you garden in a robe?! I've got something like "The Grotto" already envisioned for the backyard though!

Haha! All kidding aside, isn't this a fetching backyard all littered with fallen leaves from the colorful Persimmon tree?! -

There's that stray cat again! Does anyone know, should I prune this Butterfly Bush to make it fuller and have more flowers?

Here's my overwintered white Fall Mums from last year, it didn't put on a big show like it did last year when I bought it. - That's it in the gray pot. In that fish I believe is some Speedwell.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

If you you were H,H you would be 90 and what and I doubt you would care about being the Mag!l chuckle,

You could be become that little old woman who always had a garden and would walk around in the mornings in her night robe in her blooming cottage garden.
Some say spring ,some say fall ,about pruning buddleia shrub ,might the articles page here at DG for that.

I haven't taken any pics in ages it seems, and here's a cat, you have seen before, He ain't stray only he is watching!

Thumbnail by juhur7

Yeah, that ol' Hef is up there. But, bless your heart, aren't you precious?! Even 90 year old people look at magazines from time to time.
Sure, get me a nightgown and hiking boots and I'll walk thru the garden. Thanks, I'll look at the articles page for that.
That gray cat is probably laying in wait to get a pretty but fat songbird, they say regular housecats are eating them up. - http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/cat_predation.html That's a pretty cat though, we had a gray cat as kids, we called it kitty.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I never trim the bf bush but we are so cold and windy it usually dies back. Hard to believe it is fall today and winter this weekend...rofl. Wish we would have a nice Halloween, I still love walking around with the trick or treaters. I am always tempted to dress up but my DH, DDL, DSS, would surely have me put in a home... ;) They are all too rigid and conservative but I am sure they all think I am way too crazy, so we work out ok.

Still have 4 tropicals out, a giant ee, 2 brugs, and a tea cup ee. Tea cup ee gets spider mites like crazy. The 2 brugs are probably 6 feet tall and I am running out of room. Just glad I don't have to dig anything, just figure out what to do with pots.

My butterfly bushes always died to the ground. But really you can prune it anytime. They are so hardy they will just bounce back like you didn't do anything. lol

Yeah, I don't ever remember a nice Halloween, I'd like at least one in the 70's! Haha! I'm gonna dress up as Hugh Hefner! lol
Wow, a 60% chance of rain tomorrow! And then, this weekend a low of 26° Sat. nite here in Kansas City. I don't want anyone to think I am fudging on my zone here in Kansas City.
Actually, when I enter my zipcode in zone finders, it always says 6, which is likely 6a. But, if it doesn't get cold much anymore in the Winter, there's no reason to stay at what I thought for years, zone 5b. If it gets down to -11F I'll change it back..lol I remember some very cold and snowy Winters as a born and raised Kansas Citian! I remember in 1989 when it was -23. I was working at a convenience store's graveyard shift. A younger lady came in and said, "can you tell what's wrong with my car?". I looked under the hood at -23 and took off the radiator cap and the antifreeze was froze solid, I told her, "it's froze solid".

Hey, here's one way to lay in wait for birds! My housemate says, "awww, that's so cute"! That cat is a stray that we also feed. -

I'll leave that Butterfly Bush alone, thanks.

I still need to go out and bring my big SpiderPlant back in. I hung it outside recently while it was so warm, so it could get some sun before the fluorescent Winter.
Tonite is only a low of 47° but after that it goes down according to the KSHB tv man, like 26° Sat. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Our Halloween will be nice compared to what the East Coast will have to possibly put up with. I'll be dressing up as a witch for work. My hat will be the entertainer and sing Ding Dong the Witch is Dead. lol

I saw a hurricane and a snow storm might be colliding for the East coast starting about Sunday and ending in time for Halloween there, Wednesday, called a "Frankenstorm" which they said could last for days!
- http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/hurricane-sandy-storms-collide-17566917 Sorry about the Chucke Cheese ad! Hehe.. I'll take 54° on Halloween!

I feel sorry for those who are in the path of that storm. That is gonna be a doozy!!!

Yeah, that must stink just knowing it's coming, they say it could cause 1 billion dollars in damage. Hurricane Sandy (maybe then a tropical storm) already caused 21 fatalities in Haiti and Cuba from the flooding they said. - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49564356/ns/weather/#.UIraTIawVHU This says 31 fatalities, so don't know if there was more or it's a typo or what.
What stinks also about it snowing so early in the year is leaves might still be on trees to weigh the branches down considerably and they could fall on anything like houses or cars or something.
When we had that "October Surprise" here in 1996 a big branch weighed down with snow fell on my truck and dented it. It was an antique truck, I was upset to say the least! -
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/training/oct1996.html

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Grandma and the gang said to say hello! The last pic is for those dealing with the storms from the sea.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Grandma said try again she wanted a better look for you, maybe a new hairdo.

Thumbnail by juhur7

Hi there! Ack! My favorite is that second skeleton, can I get her number?! I like these pumpkins, they are creative too!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Wow, that hair, that hair is something! Everything should be just right!
Here is some more pumpkins! -

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My to say WOW!!! That pumpkin art is really something!!! Would you have ever thought of doing that with a pumpkin?
INCREDIBLE!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I THINK THE ADDRESS OF MY RED HAIRED COUSIN WAS ! ONE, ONE ,TWO .TWO BONEYARD HIGHWAY
DEAD CITY CAVERNS

HAVE TO LOOK UP THE ZIP.CODE

Haha! That address sounds pretty scary! One thing about dating a skeleton, she wouldn't eat much on a date! Oh, sure, the zipcode, I bet it's 12345!
Thanks, that pumpkin art is too much!

Love the Halloween pics. LOL. I will be dressed up as a witch this year. Will have singing hat on again. I tried to buy the dancing broom from Avon to go with the hat but by the time I got smart I was too late and it's currently on back order. No one is able to get their hands on it.

Here is some more pumpkins! - I've heard of a Dancing Santa Claus but not a dancing broom!

Even more!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Man!!! I love the pumpkin carving art!!!

here is my favorite skelley

Thumbnail by juhur7

Here it is on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOfPsojSFZk&feature=related

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

a mop made as a broom riding on a romba sweeper? CREATIVE!!!! AND THAT;S NEAT!!!

Thanks, me too. Those skeletons look scary, I hope they don't get out of your house in Indiana! I looked at the dancing broom, it looks like it would cost more than $24.95, I thought it was like a robot when I first saw it, that's neat.

Oh, had I ever thought of doing that with a pumpkin? No. Altho, that one with the puke coming out of it looks like about a 10 minute job AND it's cool, that one doesn't look very hard, I think maybe I could swing that one! - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9316223&extraimg=2

It costs more if you go outside Avon. But it's sold out everywhere so I'm out of luck anyways. lol

Go Avon! Expanding their horizons more than skin-care stuff! I like the Geico witch commercial where the witch is flying around the broom factory! -

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
Oh my gosh! The bull has horns too! Cool to see her standing on her horse.

Pepper,
I had fruit flies terrible this year.

Skippingg to the bottom since I'm running out of time.

COOL carvings! I also like the one where the big pumpkin eats the smaller one.

So! Today is the last day of the cold that followed my sinus. GRRR! I have not gottten my flu shot yet, and I am tired of being sick with the little things!

We took the boys home yesterday. We got them Thursday since there was an early out and no school Friday. It was cold, but we went out to the wildlife area and walked around. There are huge flocks of blackbirds this year.

We have storm windows and plastic put on all the windows, and put plastic around the screened in porch. Everything is put away outside so I guess we're ready for winter.

I stirred up some sourdough batter and need to make something with it today.

I'm watching the hurricane. Monster storms are not what we need, but with global warming, natural and man made, we are going to be seeing more of this.

It's light now and I see frost. It feels so cold after so many warm days :o(

Hiya Sally! Yes, cool to see her standing on her horse! That was neat how they lassoed that bull. For anyone that mighta missed it, it's this video here on Yahoo News - http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-corn-watch-woman-seems-float-above-corn-172326979.html

Yeah, some of those pumpkin carvings are pretty dastardly!

Hope your cold and sinuses get better, Sally. I need to get a flu shot too.

I did the bulb thing today. I got the Elephant Ear bulbs inside as well as the TropiCanna bulbs, but not before I planted a TropiCanna bulb outside by the foundation for grins to see if it comes up next year! It's on the West side, it would preferably be on the South but the South gets little to no sun. I took a few photos of the job I did on it. - I ended up going with the TropiCanna bulb next to the blue folding razor, (I used it to cut thru the weed-block, aka an old rug..lol).
It's probably 8 - 10 inches in the hole and then the carpet pieces and about 4 inches of mulch on top of that. I cut the carpet pieces in strands to be sure any Cannas can grow thru there, if they do rear their head. In the third photo you can barely see the stem sticking up in front of that light Oak leaf. After I was all done, I even covered up the stem with mulch. I have plenty of other TropiCanna bulbs left, they are in the garage in a kitty litter bucket for the Winter! - Here is the Elephant Ears and the TropiCannas before I got them out of the pots. - The stray cats like my ground water bowls.
Will

This message was edited Oct 28, 2012 10:44 PM

I got my Rose Tree planted in some mulch. That sounds funny, "planted in mulch" but that spot is all mulch, I filled in the former waterpond that my housemate didn't like, with dyed black mulch that I had extra. That's where I buried the Rose Tree, maybe I'll leave it there, it's not a bad spot actually. - If it dies though, I have the receipt for a refund or store credit or whatever. I also buried that black pot of my precious Flowering Dogwood! - Maybe someday when it grows up it'll be as glorious as that one up a few posts.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a dogwood about two inches larger than yours,they look like twins at this stage!lol relatives are always up to something aren't they? Let me guess the Arbor Day Foundation?
Sound like you have been busy busy Vrrrooooooom!!!lol

Not me today or tomorrow it's cold .it's cold , it's cold and it's windy as said before lol Old bones for this weather when it is wet and cold ya know!!lol

And no that is not really a Halloween joke although it sure could be. Brrr and rattle rattle skeley boooo

My tree is your tree's daddy! No, not The ArborDay Foundation, I got it from The Dep't of Missouri State Seedling program thing, they were a bundle of 25 seedlings for I think $8. I have two Dogwood seedlings, the other one is quite a bit smaller but I take care of it, it's this one's backup, a second banana, just-in-case or contingency plan! Yeah, I got my spurt of activity on for about 2 hours today, I can do alot in a fairly short amount of time, it's not easy being Superman you know!
Speaking of ArborDay, I have planted a few seedlings from there that today are trees twenty or so feet tall! Here is a Crabapple as a seedling from ArborDay that I planted and here it is a few years later. - That's the last photo of it I have, in 2009, they have moved. In the first photo I believe I was standing in the driveway, in the second photo it looks like I did a driveby and took the photo from the street, they are just different angles, they look quite a bit different, but it is the same tree. edited --> In retrospect, that's my red truck in the photo, I was over there at my Aunt and Uncle's having a Memorial Day weekend cookout or something like that. I sold that truck on Craigslist about 2 years later in the Summer of 2011. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuLQusPckGQ&feature=g-crec- I sold it, so don't try to offer me five dollars!
I sold it from that very ad, it pays to be up-front, even though I did sell it for less than a third of what I paid for it 3 years before that. I didn't have the heart to burn somebody like I got burned but it used all the oil up within 3 weeks, which I found out after I bought it originally.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2012 10:57 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
Overnight, my cold is gone. I am so happy!
Yeah, with canna bulbs and the way they multiply, you have nothing to lose, and may be suprised. It looks well protected.
At least we got to enjoy the waterpond and saw all the hard work you put into it.
You have better luck planting those arbor day seedlings than I have had.

Ju,
Smiling. I agree. Cold is cold and I haven't gone out much either.

My sourdough wasn't sour enough. I added flour and a dash of water and stirred it down. Another day or two. I guess I did just throw it together the other day. Not enough time for it to sour even tho I made half with whole wheat flour.

Today, I really need to clean house....

Have a good day everyone!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Well sounds like our temps are going back up....hurray at least for a little bit. Hope it is nice halloween. I am not big on too scary.....rofl. Last night I was watching 666 park place (which can be too scary for me) and something happened and I must of really jumped and I about scared to basset hound to death...rofl, it was sooo funny. He came flying up off the bed and his ears were up (well atleast up for a basset) and his head was turning left and right as fast as he could...just too funny.

My DGD is going as cinderella...and she is so cute. Not that I am bias...

All my tropicals are in. Saturday morning we had heavy heavy frost. When I woke up everything was white it was so heavy.

That's great news, Sally! Thanks, I hope the Cannas are well enuff protected. It was alot of work, thanks, I enjoyed it, someday I'll have a nice big one, that little pond was a learning experience.
The ArborDay seedlings HAVE been an experience that's for sure! I've personally only purchased the "10 free trees" once about ten years ago, that Crabapple was 1 of 2 that survived. Not that the others were no good, I think some just got forgot about, ran over with mowers, stuff like that, I gave them all away. The other "survivor" from that 10 is a Redbud at my Mom's house, it is doing well too. The best one from there that I myself have now is a Ponderosa Pine that was in a seed packet as a souvenir on a t-shirt that I bought from the ArborDay gift shop in Nebraska City, NE., when I visited with a friend in Jan. 04'. That tree is 2 - 3 feet tall now. The ArborDay place there is worth visiting if anybody wants someplace to visit someday on vacation.

I don't like scary movies myself, just basically not much of a fiction, sci/fi person!
I can just see your dog with his or her big Basset ears flapping! Yeah, Sat. nite was cold, I hope my Elephant Ears did okay with that, they were still outside then. Well, Walmart will be glad to sell me some more bulbs I suppose!

I told my friend, "let's try not to forget to turn off the porch light before dark this year", she agreed..lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes it is nice to hear from Sally on this thread and a couple of others,good conversation is always appreciated,as for me, a bit of a joker in the deck!.
Arbor day trees are my Dogwood, 2 lilacs, a redbud (that will mostly be done away with along with a couple of scruffy maples) a flowering crab, a Hackberry or a Hawthorne I will id that later.
As that I have a large Redbud I do not want anymore and I have all little ones I would ever have use and, or want of!lol
I have 2 little Hardwood Red Oaks that I let grow near the garden pretty already this time of year with that bright red leaf.
They might get tall enough to grow vines on for a while but for the time being I put small cages over them and grow MG's over them, maybe later beans or cukes lol
We all go through the light routine from time to time ,get to the point of being ridiculous some of the time .lol
I have tried a few ponds ,squirrels and small animals kept drowning in them ,so I gave that up double quike time

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

P.S. it is still cold and we are about to find out if we get 60 degree winters!!lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.