September's Back to School Orchids

Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

Just wanted to share some of my September blooms.
1. C. Maui Coral with two blooms
2. Den. Sakura
3. Blc. Makai
4. Ascda. Crownfox Butter Ball.
5. NOID Den.

Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313
Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

And also . . .
Dancing Ladies Oncidium, Brassavola Yellow Bird and a couple of photos of Phal. Taisuco Dalmatian 'Cruelia'

Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Lovely chiquib...
Especially like the Blc. Makai. I have a Blc. Makai cross ( can't remember w/o going out and looking at the tag). that has blasted at least 3 out of 7 sheaths. I'm very disappointed was so looking forward to this one, but the late heavy rains have taken their toll. Oh well maybe next year. I might get a few this year if I baby it along.
mj

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice show, Chiquib. I'm especially fond of the Blc. Makai and the yellow Brassavola.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful, chiqui! I'm a nut for the Brassavolas, too. Love the graceful form of the flowers.

north coast nsw, Australia

wow love that noid Den. I had to have a close up as it looked like a Vanda. Love that yellow Vanda.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Wonderful blooms. Love Yellow Bird

Rlc. Kat-E Sun opened another 3 flowers on the other side of it. Is growing 2 ways and 3 flowers on each side open together each year.
Smell strong and like honey a bit.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2012 4:34 PM

This message was edited Sep 27, 2012 4:38 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy

Paphs just keep going and going....Villosum hasnt changed.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The Paph is a beauty, Bree. You do so well with them. I also like the Catt. Pretty, vivid colors.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Kat E-Sun is not only beautiful, but now you tell me it smells good, too? I may have to put it on my list.

Melanie

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Got something new today on a trade with Mj up in DeLand. She has acreage and horses, and found these falling out of a tree on her property. I think maybe she posted them last month, so sorry if this is a repeat, but I am just thrilled with my new tiny orchids!

Epi. magnoliae, or "Greenfly Orchid" I think she calls them. My big old book of Florida Native Orchids has a synonym Epidendrum Conopseum. In any case, tiny little flowers about 3/4in. across, leaves are less than 2in. long, fragrant at night, so pretty! They're growing on little hunks of bark with Resurrection Ferns.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Nice to just pick them out of the back yard. The only thing native to us are Mosquitos, Alligators and cypress trees.
I enjoy just looking at the pictures on this forum. Some of the technical words are not in my vocabulary, but I do pick up on a few tips now and then.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

That's neat! you have quite a few orchids that are "native" to your area. As far as I know, we have none. The only one I've seen in Ca. is a ssp of Habenaria that grows in the Sierras.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Actually, Peg these little orchids are native to your area as well. But you'll need to really search next time you're out in a natural area, look in the shade on the oak trees. They're very small and easy to miss because they grow with the ferns. The map where I looked it up says they are common all the way north to North Carolina, and are "surprisingly frost resistant". This time of year is when they are in bloom, too.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Peg,
They are definitely native and hardy for your area. Here on the farm they grow on the long limbs of the Live Oaks mostly. That's where the Resurrection Fern grows and they typically grow there, but they will grow on native magnolia, Cypress, and a few other trees. When we get storms with a lot of wind that moves the tree's around they often fall out with a big chunk of Resurrection Fern. I've reattached them to oaks on the northeast side of the trunk and they have established themselves and grow quite well there.
They don't like alot of sun, but dappled/filtered is fine...ones in really deep shade tend to stay smaller and not bloom as well. They can start to bloom as early as June, but the strongest blooming time for them is late August thru the early November. Absolutely care free, no fertilizer, and I've only watered the ones that I've replanted when we weren't getting any rain and then only till they were established.

mj

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I know I am a few hours early but I'm packing for three days at the Hilton on Clearwater Beach. It is the annual Master Gardener's Conference for Florida. I should be back home on Wednesday evening. The new thread is at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282559/

Jim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.