September's Back to School Orchids

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Lovely, Bree.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Those floofy lips look like square dance costumes, Bree. Amazing.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Melanie, I was out and about this morning and spotted some 3 gallon yellow Spathoglottis plicata orchids. One stood out as the flowers were considerably larger than the others so I bought it. If you want it, I will hold it here for you. If not, don't worry as I'll just keep it myself. The cost including tax is $16.00. Let me know.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Jim, you work quickly! Yes, I would love to have it. Let me know when I can come by.

Melanie

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll be home the rest of the day. Tomorrow I have phone duty at the Extension Service but will be home around 5:00 PM,

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Tomorrow after 5 would work. I still have your number and address. I'll leave my house around 5 so I should be there around 5:30ish. Also, my dad cut up some cedar boards for mounting orchids if you want any.

Melanie

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

OK, see you tomorrow. I could use a couple of those cedar mounts, thanks.

Jim

north coast nsw, Australia

its called Lc. Mildred Rives x Blc. Burdekin Bells.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I call it beautiful! Very nice and floofy.

Melanie

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Good morning all. Here I sit at the MG desk in beautiful Seffner, Florida. Only one call so far but it may get crazy later on. Have a great day.

Jim

Mornin' Jim. It's feeling like Fall at Mapop.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Still hot and humid here. Not a hint of fall. I'm also still swimming laps in the back yard.

Quiet here at the Extension. All of the agents are away at a meeting and the phone has been silent.

Jim

Brassavola nodosa is in bloom. A second spike was bumped against the greenhut wall. I shifted it in hopes that it will continue to fill out. Meanwhile, the fragrance is lasting into late morning.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

The last flowers on Ascocenda Laski 'Chili Pepper'. It's got a rusty brown tone that doesn't show up in the photos. Very subtle airbrushed look.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Here's the Pholidota imbricata. No obnoxious smell, Carol, though I did not stick my nose in it. It has been growing in straight 'ole cheapo cypress landscape mulch from the local big box store for almost two years. I use the smaller, bark size pieces.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

An eerie backlit photo of Prosthecea cochleata, another of a spike that, as you can see by the stem joints, has been blooming for many, many months and the last of the plant. There are five spikes in bloom but I can't get the right angle to photo the whole thing.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

A better image of Beallara Tropic Tom

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

If I close my eyes, I can almost smell that nodosa from here. I'm glad the Pholidota is blooming for you. It seems my rattlesnake has taken the year off. Very nice Beallara.

Now it is back to a caller who has crazy ants in his car.

Jim

Hope I helped you pass the day. In other news, baby David Sander has a new lead.

Some random shots of the greenhut jungle. All of the above photos were taken yesterday.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Wonderful news about Baby David. I knew he would be happy with you. Yes, you did help me pass the day. All went well and when I walked into the house about 5:30 this afternoon the phone was ringing and it was Melanie at the gate. She collected her yellow Spathoglottis plicata with the super sized flowers and I trust she is happy. Now I need to rest.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Yep, I'm super happy with my new acquisition. And I imagine I'll be even happier tomorrow when I go to the Lakeland Orchid show. Be prepared for pictures of all my new purchases.

Melanie

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I forgot to mention that she gave me some nice cedar orchid mounts so I'm happy too. It's win/win around here.

Jim
This message was edited Sep 14, 2012 6:52 PM

This message was edited Sep 14, 2012 6:54 PM

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

How do orchids multiply.
I guess there isn't any problem with getting rid of any pups. I have an orchid that is about 6 years old and has never gotten larger. I did realize that I wasn't misting it often enough. I have been using a very weak soluton of dyna-gro to mist it. Possibly that is what has brought it back to life.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Went to the orchid show today and spent lots of money. There were many beautiful displays as well as what the vendors brought in. Here's what I bought:

1. V. Insignis x V. tessellata This one smells amazing!
2. V. Pure Delight
3. Rlc. Tainan City
4. Rsc. Haw Yuan Gold "Yung Kang #2"
5. Blc. Chance the Chance "Kiramaci"

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

1. Den. Nalo Blush My first Den. I kept getting stopped by people who loved this one. It's hard to capture the blush on camera, though.
2. Pot. Hawaiian Charisma "Hawaii" Furthering my collection of orchids named after Hawaii, LOL!
3. Lc. Tanya Duncan "Seattle Blues"

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, Melanie you sure got some beauties! Amazing double floof on 'Tainan City' and Nalo Blush is a beauty, too. My fave though, is 'Seattle Blues' being as I am from the Pac NW. Amazing colors on there.

Let's see a picture of your orchid house, with all those new bloomers in there?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Looks like the orchid bug has bitten Melanie right between the eyes. Welcome to the club. All of your new babies look terrific. I'm especially fond of that first Vanda and the last Lc. Tanya Duncan. I also love the soft colors on your Dendrobium. You will find the Dens easy to grow. All in all, great choices. Enjoy!

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Peg, occasionally an orchid plant will bear a little plantlet off of its flower stem or pseudobulb. These little baby plants are often called Keiki's (Hawaiian for "baby"). When the roots are an inch long or so, they may be removed from the mother plant and planted in a seperate small pot with some orchid moss. Other times, large orchids are carefully divided using a sharp sterile knife. Starting orchids from seed is best left to the pros in labs.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I've been trying to wait for the third bud to open on my big purple Catt - don't know why but I like saying I grew a purple cat.

The third flower was poking its lip into its sister's back, so I 'messed with success' just a tiny bit and balanced a couple of styro peanuts in there to hold it away a bit. Hopefully in the morning it will be open all the way, and facing outwards.

You can see from the three pictures how hard it is to 'get' the color. First one is the closest, but it's really more dusky than that.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Very nice, Elaine. Looks like it has some Laelia in it.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Yep, sorry I thought I'd given its name up above. It is Blc. Mem. Hans Graf x Blc. Edisto

Blc = Brassavola, Laelia, and Cattleya, right? Or Brassia?

north coast nsw, Australia

Its Brassolaeliocattleya..yep Brassavola

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

outstanding flowers you purchased. Shows later this month here, but trying to keep everything from drying out is real work. Another day in the dry 100's today

Very nice flowers Mellie and Elaine.

Ted, it is difficult to spend the money to add on when you are fighting the elements.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Melanie - all your new babies are beautiful. Orchid shows can sure be expensive outings!!!!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I saved my birthday money for it! Now, what to do about the Fall Plant Fest at USF next month, LOL!

Melanie

As of sundown I will be off line for the next week plus in observance of the High Holy Holidays. Can't wait to see all your great photos when I return. It sometimes takes me a few days to get shaking (or un-shaking as the case may be) after the Yom Kippur fast.

L'shana tova to all (Happy New Year!)

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Still fighting the heat and dryness, but some guys just bloom regardless of the temp.
Iridifolius x Zygostatus Alleniana flower is about 1/8" across
Psychopsis adds another bloom
Snow Ballet does not care
Platystele misera umbellata always in bloom in the summer

Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Have a wonderful holiday, Laurel!

Ted, very nice blooms in spite of the weather. I love the shinny playstele. It seems everywhere Carol sends her Snow Ballet it does well.

I couldn't let the weekend pass without posting Lc. George Baldwin X C. Trithena. I just love the form and color.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I refer to it as "the weed"!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.