September's Back to School Orchids

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Time for a new thread. We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274090/

Please join us and share your September blooms here. I'll start off with the bamboo orchid, Arundina graminifolia. It is a terrestrial and likes lots of light and water.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's another look at my new Wilsonara Pacific Perspective 'Pacific Heat'.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a nice picture of Vanda Princess Blue X Vanda Kasem's Delight. The spike is completely open now.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I love this little red NOID Dendrobium.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Another look at my new Wilsonara Pacific Perspective 'Pacific Heat'.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Miltassia Aztec 'Toni' is opening a new spike. This is the first flower.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And what's life without a few dancing ladies?

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

Jim, love the red NOID denbrodium. Some of my best denbrodium are NOIDs.
Some of my September blooms:
1. NOID Brassia, has 9 blooms about 6" each and 2 more spikes.
2. Brassavola Nodosa
3. Den. Blue Twinkle
4. NOID Denbrodium
5. NOID Denbrodium

Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313
north coast nsw, Australia

Last look at Blc. Mem. Anna Balmores x Lc. Melody Fair as it ages.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Very nice Chiqui and you are right about the NOID Dens. I have them around just for the fun of it and they bloom almost all of the time.

Bree, gotta love the velvet floofy lip.

Jim

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I love the NOIDs' colors. I have only 2 orchids and am still waiting for blooms.
What "sticky" explains how to grow them and what temp is desired. I keep mine indoors and have learned that I was not misting them enough, but am still trying to keep them going.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 5:20 PM

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

http://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=75 Gives you general info on requirements for the most common types, but you have to know what kind of orchid you have.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I did look at the AOS website. My orchid is marked Dendrobrium orchid hybird. Thanks for the info.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Have some pics of the Den Spectable Latouria (Alien). This is the one my friend sent me from HI.
Hard to get pics of the flowers.
She smells like honey.

Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter

Love it Qwilter.

Ann Arbor, MI

Your vanda is gorgeous, Jim. I tried to grow one that should have been similar. It even started a spike last summer, but nada. After 5 years of pampering the stupid thing, I decided enough was enough and got rid of it. Not for Michigan, I suppose. But I do love seeing the beauties you guys grow down there.

Like the Wilsonaria too! Anyone out there know if they bloom seasonally or "whenever"? I'm curious, because I just noticed this afternoon that mine is producing a spike too. A first time bloomer if it follows through.

Ann Arbor, MI

I'm pretty happy about this one -- Phragmipedium Don Wimber -- a first time bloomer. It arrived half frozen the winter before last, so I was sure it wasn't going to pull through. It never did die, but I never paid much attention to it either, so I was kind of surprised to see it was about to bloom. The blossom itself is pretty small -- about 3 1/2 inches across, which is smaller than I thought it'd be.

Jan

Thumbnail by wiggiej
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Jean, that Den. Alien is something else!

Love the phrag, wiggie. The plant looks healthy and the flower is just beautiful! Nice going on blooming that one. I'll bet it will get better and better now.

Ann Arbor, MI

Thanks Elaine. I hope so. I'm thinking that the smallish blossom might be due to underfeeding. I water it with distilled or rain water, separately from most of my other orchids, so it probably missed out on fertilizer a lot.

Jan Phragmipedium Don Wimber's flowers are 3-4 inches so i dont think yours is to small. Its very nice!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I agree, and it is very pretty!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bc. Mermaid 'Janice' just opened today and I am surprised as it just bloomed in May. I have her mounted on a oak log.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is the NOID Dendrobium that spent the night at the bottom of the swimming pool some years ago. It used to be red but other than that is doing fine.

Jim

Ann Arbor, MI

Thanks bree. I won't mess with the routine I've got then. I was really happy when I found Don Wimber. I'd never seen anything like it. It probably won't be the last phrag I try!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Jee, I've missed alot. Some gorgeous blooms you guys have !
Jim, I've got some Oak slabs sitting out at the barn that are pretty nicely aged now. Seeing your Bc. Mermaid 'Janice' mounted on Oak gives me an idea of what I can
do with them now.
This is more of a June/July/August/Sept ...catch up post !
Bpl Golden Beauty Orange Peacock
Ctna Why Not
Native Epi magnoliae "Greenfly Orchid"...they are very common here.
Encyclia alata x E. gracilis its as bright as it looks ...LOL...
Pot Hoku Gem Sunspots , a favorite !!

Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies

and one more...
SL Jinn Jungle Beau
Several others were in sheath or spiking and are sitting there sulking now after all the rain from Issac....even tho I grabbed them after a few days and brought them in.
So may miss out on them this go round. Maybe they will just be slower to show up. Drat....

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm with ya on the rain slowing down the orchids, Mj. I had a big fat sheath getting ready to pop on my Bc Chia Lin and it's turned brown.

All those above are really gorgeous! Especially like the pretty little native Epi. magnoliae.

I have one big Catt ready to pop, a B. nodosa cross in bloom and these little Howeara Lava Burst 'Puanani' that have been blooming for a couple of months at least. Everybody else has seen these several times already, but heck, better to post a picture.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ah, Ladies, do you want to try temps in the 80s and humidity in the teens? I'm watching my buds and sheaths dry up. Thinking about switching to cactus and succulents, if I had more sun.
mj, very nice!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

MJ, welcome back, we missed you. Outstanding orchids you've been hiding from us. I'm especially fond of the Orange Peacock.

Elaine, hurry up with that big Catt. I can't wait.

Carol, you're weather keeps giving you fits. Us Floridians would gladly ship you a boatload of humidity if we could figure out how to do it.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

No blooms yet, but I was thinking of buying a spathoglottis. One of my local nurseries has them as their plant of the month which means 15% off. I really enjoyed the photos of some of the ones I've seen on here and thought I might add one to the collection. Other than that, I made a trip to the Home Depot to get more repotting supplies. Now for it to stop raining so I can go outside and repot!

Melanie

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Melanie, I've found the yellow Spathoglottis plicata will bloom longer than the others. Mine is almost always in bloom.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I remember the yellow one; I think I liked it best. I'll have to go check it out and see what they have.

Melanie

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm with Jim on the Spathoglottis, Melanie. They're great bloomers and easy growers. But so far the yellow is the winner on blooming.

Just got my little plant of yellow ones this spring (at Lowe's) and it has not stopped blooming. I have several clumps of the magenta/purple, and one clump of mauve in the ground in my semi-shady border. The mauve has been blooming a while, but the purple ones are just starting to put up a lot of flower stems. Last year they bloomed into December, though. Can't complain.

I also have the 4th one I'd describe as "opal" because it has pink and yellow and purple and white on the flower. My two healthy plants of this one have not bloomed yet this year, and are showing no signs of starting. But when Jim and I visited Selby Gardens in April we saw the same variety with large flowers on long stalks on huge plants. I repotted them in May, so I'm thinking I'll just be patient and they will reward me down the road. Orchid growing does develop patience - and rewards you for it, too.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Better picture of the 'opal' one.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

That opal one is really unique. I don't think I have ever seen one quite like it.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

LoL, Jim, you were with me when I got that plant, up in Apopka in February. It had one wimpy little flower on it at the time - very forgettable - and one stem coming along that opened the three flowers in the pic above. Since then, nada. It's putting up new leaves, though.

Then we saw some similar outside the orchid house at Selby. I'm hoping mine will grow up to be like those some day. Wish I'd taken a picture of them!

Jim, Ask Elaine about her EE that went swimming. I just think they want to be blonds.
Not hiding, just been a very hectic demanding summer. I take the pics and they sit on my camera.
I try really hard to keep track of blooms and when they happen.
I too am very fond of the Orange Peacock, and kinda wish it had waited till fall to bloom, as it would be a super
Halloween/ Thanksgiving bloom to have. These blooms have been going since June. No spots now.
Brought in a couple of HUGE Noid Den's to the porch today. Holy cow these 2 monsters are taking up
a 6 foot bench all by them selves. I think next year I will need a tomato cage to contain them. Nothing special just noid purple white, but they are Orchidzilla's !!
Will take pics when they are open.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2012 5:11 AM

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Yep, my EE Blue Hawaii went swimming, and came up rather a golden blonde. It seems to be recovering, however.

Mj, here I thought you were only growing mini's! You're just too good to them.

I have Lc. Trick or Treat - it's a great one for Halloween, too. Here's hoping it will have a flower by then. But it bloomed in March, so . .. that's when this pic was taken.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

LOL...Elaine, They are one reason I'm going to mini's....they are just getting too darned big...but they are S.O.'s pets....and I do enjoy them when they are blooming, just don't know where to put them, especially if we get a cold snap and they have to come live inside. Other than the size they are really easy too, I just park them outside in a shady spot as soon as temps allow and they stay there till they start to bloom,when they come up on the porch, they get time release fertilizer ( Osmocote 13-13-13) ...

LC Trick or Treat should bloom for Halloween !! It would be perfect...

Rlc. Kat E-Sun.

Thumbnail by breeindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.