CLOSED: DJ9'S FALL SEPT 2012 PLANT SWAP SHOW & TELL

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

PLEASE POST HERE WHEN YOU HAVE MAILED OR RECEIVED YOUR BOX & PLEASE TRY TO POST A PICTURES OF YOUR BOX WE LOVE TO SEE. WHAT YOUR ADDING TO YOUR GARDENS .

FALL IS HERE GREAT TIME TO SHARE

AHOOGSTRA---WWKATHY
ALIKAT32----MRSSPEEDSGARDEN
CHELLFLOWER---CHEERMOM
FOTV ----STRANG2U
CZIMMERMAN---REDUNICORN
MIDWESTFARMWIFE-----DIAMOND9192002
MINNESIPPI--MITTSY

REC;D
MINNESIPPI-
MRSSPEEDSGARDEN
ALIKAT32

This message was edited Sep 14, 2012 3:50 PM

Thumbnail by deejay9
Hinsdale, IL

Hi FOTV,

I thought I'ld show you examples ot what I was thinking of sending you.
Canna indica var. maculata There are more.

Thumbnail by strange2u Thumbnail by strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

Hi FOTV,

Canna x generalis
Cherry Red Canna Lily

Thumbnail by strange2u Thumbnail by strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

Hi FOTV,

Unknown variety of Canna.

Thumbnail by strange2u Thumbnail by strange2u Thumbnail by strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

Hi FOTV,

Unknown variegated Hosta

Thumbnail by strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

Hi FOTV,

Colocasia antiquorum
Illustris Imperial Taro

Thumbnail by strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

Hi FOTV,
I might send more things a well.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Beautiful photos!

Hinsdale, IL

Thank you

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Omgosh! Already recd from mittsy! Thank you very much!
Spring bulbs (dafs?)
Hardy geranium jesters jacket
Shasta daisy crazy lady
Gayfeather liatris per & kobold
Hosta blue wedgewood
Seeds- hollyhock & columbine

I'm not ready for fall...its 67 and windy right now. Need a light jacket outside. I will get these a drink and in the ground right away!

Thumbnail by minnesippi
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Paul, I'd be thrilled with any of those. Very nice photos and plants.

Excellent plants, Steph. Really do like Liatris and have a white one added this year.

I am ready for Fall, at least the cooler weather promised this coming week.

Hinsdale, IL

I've seen pictures of white liatris, and they sure are great looking. But, I've all ways wondered if liatris are floppy, not that that matters much.

Thank you for the compliments on my plants and photos.

I Like the EE Colocasia antiquorum & Also the UNKNOWN Variegated one But Just can't seem to grow EE's

Very nice Plants & Bulbs Min I Have the Purple Liatris if any one wants :))
Just thought I would share the flowers I picked this morning & of the Lantana I planted 1st time & hope to get some seeds from them for next year :)

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Paul, I didn't take pics, but mine remained upright until last month when the heads started to get heavy producing seeds. About the same time we had a wind / rain storm that left them half prone. The flop factor doesn't bother me either and the same thing happens to my Coreopsis.

Your cut flowers are so pretty displayed in vases, Susie. Did you use food coloring in the water?

Anybody remember using food coloring to change the color of Queen Anne's Lace and Carnations? My Mom used to do that when I was a kid and thought it was magic!

While in town today, I couldn't believe how much Halloween stuff is already out.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

They already have Christmas stuff out at the WalMart by our house.

Sue G

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

What? Christmas stuff already? It gets crazier and crazier!

Paul - my purple liatris flower stems never seem to flop over...the leaves get wilty as fall sneaks in.....but I usually end up cutting the stems off in the upright position. I've never seen white ones before....gotta look those up!

FOTV - we do the carnation coloring as science projects in our school each year....the kids love it....the darker colors show up better on the carnations! It's fun fun fun!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah, not only that they had the Halloween stuf out as soon as July 4th was over and everyone is selling heavy winter clothes that we out here in Phoenix can't even wear until January. I think all the stores follow their corporate dictates with no thought to the fact that it is often 75 degrees here on Christmas. But they are selling heavy sweaters, coats, boots, etc. Nuts.

Susie, your pics are beautiful, wish I had enough gardens to have cut flowers like that. But if I brought them in the house,the cats would just play with them anyway :(

Sue G

Fruit Wanted to ask did the STRIPE Variegated grass I Sent you make it or not ? If Not I Will try to send this fall.

Just waiting for the grass to dry off so i can play outside today Much cooler here & Much nicer :) Think I will go repot a few plants .
ya all have a great day

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I had white liatris bulbs this spring...the squirrels stole them...so who knows if the will pop up or where. Squirrel stole a ginger root too. Little stinkers. They are diggin in everything right now storing their nuts...all my potted plants. Then, about January, I get oak trees in all my house plants :/ LOL!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Minne - the squirrels are crazy here in NH....we've never seen them climb trees and toss the pine cones down - even before the cones are ready to fall....it's like taking your life in your hands to walk under the trees here. I've got (inches deep) pine cone debris everywhere below the trees.....it's like they know something about this upcoming winter that I should be worried about. Stinks that they stole your bulbs! BRATS! I can never keep tulip bulbs from them so I don't try anymore! TOO discouraging when you dig and dig all fall and get NOTHING in the spring! My doggie Ethan believes that squirrels are his arch enemy - he takes it upon himself to keep our 4 acres free of any squirrels on the ground! But alas -- they don't care once he goes in!

It was darn chilly last night -- 40 degrees! UG!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Ali - thats how it is @ my house with acorns, knee deep it seems like. They are out in full force when the dogs are inside. I noticed the dogs getting lazy though. 2 squirrels WALKED through the yard and the dogs just watched...Come ON! Still have to have the umbrella up when sitting on the deck of you end up getting nailed in the head - or "extras" in your coffee...I hate that. An acorn ruins a perfectly good cup of coffee. :/ LOL!
95° yesterday - 76° today. Some rain last night which is needed (everywhere I know) and possibly more this morning.
Leaves are falling - raking will now take over the weekends instead of weeding and mowing.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Candi-I received my swap box and loved everything you sent.
Siberian iris
Bearded iris
foxglove (I really like foxglove)
lupine (also like lupine but cannot get it to grow here will try again)
coneflowers
daffodil bulbs

Candi-I hope you have received your box. I have the del. confirmation # if we need to check and see where it is..

Thanks for swapping with me this month.

Shirley

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Shirley,

I was out of town until Wednesday night (late) and I had your box waiting for me...I opened it up (midnight) but I just couldn't wait to see all those surprise plants you were sending! I planted everything this afternoon and am so excited to have all the varieties you sent!

Below is a photo of all those great plants....

Shirley sent me:
astible
tiarella - sugar and spice and another variety
lily of the valley
japanese painted fern
grape hyacintys
crinum - milk and honey
acanthus mollis
helleborous foetidus

AND she even put new garden gloves in my box....I totally don't deserve the extra TLC but love it anyway!

I hope the lupines grow...I've heard they don't transplant well and I've never tried moving them around the gardens....i just let them grow where the seeds fall and hope for the best! I have seeds and if you need some let me know !!! It's so strange but I'm getting foxglove all over the place.....I only had about 3 plants last year that bloomed....none this year.....but lots of babies! I have no idea what color they will be but who cares - they are so beautiful as flowers! Thanks for being such an awesome trade buddy!

Thumbnail by AliKat32

Awesome Variety Ladies I had foxglove a coupl years ago but guess they didn't like it here for they did not reseed so i hope to scatter some seeds in the future :) along with lupines .
Still have much on my list to get done for tomorrow so you all have a great evening will check back when i can

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Minne - that's so funny....acorns in your coffee! I can just picture it too....they probably give each other extra points if one can toss it down and land in your cup! I was just outside earlier today and man -- in the places that I cleaned...there's more pine cone debris! AHHHHHHH! Like I don't have enough to do that I have to go back and redo stuff!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Ali - I feel the same way with dishes and laundry...Got to a point this weekend I could see the laundry room floor (still 9 loads left of bedding & rugs) and then add two more loads this morning of more sheets :/ Im fixing to make everyone walk around in their underwear and everyone has to sleep outside - no blankets...and then there's the dogs..wash the floor, drag in the crap from outside and shed all over...Im never done :/ I deep cleaned the house this weekend (well from 3pm Saturday until 3pm yesterday due to football, soccer and the need for sleep) I am exhausted!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Minne - I can never see my laundry floor! I feel your pain! :)

Good Morning all sorry for being MIA My Swap is over , & I Got my New Patio In , have to get my patio roof on yet .
Turning cold here yesterday I Felt Not to good so most the day was spent Inside but i feel a little better today so hope to get my Trench for the Gasline dug up :) so much to do before it gets any colder.

& Here are a few BLOOMS Left in the Gardens

SO How are the trades going THEY SHOULD ALL BE SENT OUT BY THE 24 TH IF POSSIBLE WELL SUN IS SHINING SO OFF TO THE GREAT OUTDOORS BACK LATER TODAY .

AHOOGSTRA---WWKATHY
ALIKAT32--REC'D -------
MRSSPEEDSGARDEN----REC'D
CHELLFLOWER---CHEERMOM
FOTV ----STRANG2U
CZIMMERMAN---REDUNICORN
MINNESIPPI-REC'D
-MITTSY

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Susie, you can mark strange2u as received. Love that Dahlia.

Happy Birthday, Diamond Girl! May all your blooms come true :)

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANITA

Thumbnail by deejay9
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Watching the mail delivery every day. I love suprises! adding my Birthday greetings, nice cake.
Fruity, did you win a blue ribbon?

After hubs and I saw what wasn't entered in a neighboring County Fair that could have been, I will enter plants and he hopes to enter veggies next year. Our mail lady racked up several Blue Ribbons and a few Red and White ones. Two of her Blue Ribbon pumpkins are up there and some of her veggies and eggs that all placed are scattered in this photo.

Oh Mittsy, you'll appreciate seeing the quilts! Here are 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Sorry if seeing these are re-runs for some of you.

Old Virginia and North Carolina Ham sacks on a new 2012 quilt won 1st place; LK let me know the technique on the next one is Yo Yo done in a patchwork pattern and it took 2nd; 3rd went to the Double Wedding Ring.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for posting the quilt photos. I love the ham sacks, how very clever. It deserved first place.

Cutlerville, MI

Hey WWKathy...I mailed your box out yesterday! Hope you enjoy!
Alicia

Nice Quilts TY For sharing SUZZZ :) sun is rising good was 44 this am cool weather is here . Sweatshirt weather .
Hey that would be a Nice swap to do HEHE
ya all have a great day .

susie

Cutlerville, MI

I LOVE the quilts! My Aunt Amy is a BIG quilter, and she made me a beautiful small quilt to hang in my kitchen! I LOVE it! AWESOME Suzz!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Mittsy - I will be getting in the garden this weekend. My back slipped out and I've hardly been able to move :/ Im all taped up now so it should hold me. Its impossible to do anything during the week with sports - we are gone from dinner time to bed time - and being I dont get home until dinner time from work, that makes it difficult to get in the garden. What is the cut off date for you for me to ship to NY?

Monday the 24th all boxes should be shipped by . ty all

Elk Horn, KY

I recieved my box from redunicorn and she has recieved from me. She sent me a lot of daylilies:) love them!a will post the names when i get home.. very nicce big clumps of them, most two or more fans! Thanks redunicorn!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE UP-DATES that helps

AHOOGSTRA---WWKATHY
ALIKAT32--REC'D -------
MRSSPEEDSGARDEN----REC'D
CHELLFLOWER---CHEERMOM
FOTV ----STRANG2U
CZIMMERMAN-REC'D
--REDUNICORN-----REC'D
MINNESIPPI-REC'D
-MITTSY

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.