Morning Glories 2012 #08

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Helena, thank you for id'ing my gray bloom as Gray Haze.Nice to have a name to go with my blooms.
I will share sds of this pretty mg.
Helena, my DH used to do baby squirrel rescues too. Our cats used to bring up baby squirrels that had blown out of their nests and onto the ground because of high winds, like we just experienced with Isaac.
He fed ours with a tiny dropper and the kit kat formula. It should not cost 60.00, droppers from
the pharmacy for 1.00 and the replacement milk is about 10.00 for a canister from Wal Mart. I guess the
rescue center was going to charge you 60.00 and make money off of you, pretty tacky.
DH fed the baby squirrels every 3 or 4 hrs just like a human baby. He really got a kick out of being able
to save them.
Pretty blooms you've got this morning. Do you have names for them?

Gautier, MS

Jackie, it would have been kind of neat having that baby squirrel but also work to feed it every 3 or 4 hours. Maybe next time if it happens again, Our cat pet Lily found it and was bringing it to the front porch but when she saw us she dropped it. I'm sure the pet store sells baby bottles and I'll have to check out the formula at WM.

My first picture above is the wild Cordatotriloba that came up from last year. The 2nd bloom is Q1298 and the last is Karen2005 pink mix which looks more like lavender to me. I was looking on plant files yesterday on all my blooms from 2008, I sure did start out with beginners luck with quite a few nice blooms. Too bad a lot of the special blooms I had that year didn't stay true.

Helena, the reason DH used a small dropper and not a pet bottle is because the nipple on the pet bottle was too big for the tiny baby squirrels. So he had to use a small dropper, feeding them up to 5 droppers at a time. They would let him know when they were full, they would just quit nursing.
I had a cordatotriloba too but it only made a few blooms. It was in the lg tub out back and the larger
vines might have choked it out. I did gather a few sds.
Nice blooms you had today Helena.

2 diff patterns on mo Mai today, same vine

Purp Tie Dye

This message was edited Sep 1, 2012 2:24 PM

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Jackie, I guess the dropper would work out better when they are just born and still tiny. I almost looked for one of mine, but with everything closed b/c of the storm I wouldn't have found the formula.

Love your blooms today, your no Mai and Tie Dye are really showy. I was surprised to see Cordatotriloba blooming so I'm thinking they should be blooming along certain roads here in town.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

love the pretty blooms, Helena and Jackie.. My camera was at work so couldn't capture the new bloom to me this am..
is the Cordatotriloba the same as mile a minute vine?

Thanks Helena and Debra. Debra, I wonder about the cordatotriloba too. I have a mile a minute vine in a pot but it hasn't bloomed this year yet. Waiting on a bigger pot I think. Seemed like last yr my mile a minute vine made tinier blooms than the cordatotriloba.

Plum Purple Velvet

I see the lvs on the 2 vines are very similiar, maybe they are the same vine

This message was edited Sep 1, 2012 7:57 PM

Thumbnail by patootie
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

that is a beautiful pink there. Jackie.

Gautier, MS

I agree with Debra, that last pink bloom is beautiful Jackie!

I'm not sure about mile a minute and cordatotriloba being the same bloom or not. All I know is that cordatotriloba is a mouth full to say and that it has several other names it goes by.

Thanks Debra and Helena. I wonder what happened to the Plum Purple part of my blooms?
Oh well, I love the pink. I hope it makes lots of sds.
I gathered 11 sds today off of my Purple no Mai vine. The lovely white no Mai blooms did not set a sd pod. Edited to say the white blooms were off my mutant, not the no Mai vine.
The white blooms were sterile and did not make a sd pod, very disappointed.

Helena, it does go by more than 1 name. My old pkt if I could find it, has an entirely different name on it. I hand wrote cordatotriloba

This could be Aogakiyama x Choc Silk thats blooming in the lg tub out back

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 1:41 PM

Thumbnail by patootie
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Looks like mile a minute vine is cairica http://wildlifeofhawaii.com/flowers/1607/ipomoea-cairica-mile-a-minute-vine/

Nice blooms Jackie!

Gautier, MS

Beautiful bloom Jackie.

Thanks for the ID Ronnie. Looks like the leaves are different from cordatotriloba.

Only one bloom today, and my camera captured the right colors this time.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Pretty color on your bloom Helena.

Ronnie, thanks for the link. So what we've been calling Mile A Minute is not. I forgot that cairica is
the true Mile A Minute and it has palmate? leaves like platensis. This is my fault. Last yr I asked someone if their bloom was the same as
mile a minute and it stuck. So I apologize for causing this incorrect id. .
What I;m growing in a pot is highly invasive and I don't know the true id, perhaps one of the bindweeds.
I'll make sure I keep it contained in a pot. I would love to have the true cairica.

I'm not sure what this one is, opening its 1st bloom today.

A tiny unknown pink

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Nice Jackie, I love that blue one!
Can you post a pic of your invasive one? Maybe you can get an ID for it.

Gautier, MS

Pretty blue bloom Jackie and nice light pink too.

A volunteer from last year.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Not mg's, 2 new addition to my garden (1st 2 pics) I got today from Lowe's, it was just too tempting! The others are from last year.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Thanks Ronnie and Helena.

Pretty volunteer Helena. I love the volunteers, no effort required.
I love your hardy Hibiscus in the 1st pic and the tropical hibs are just beautiful.

Ronnie, heres a pic of my vine. A bloom would probably help but it hasn't made any so far.
Too root bound I suspect.

2nd pic is Karens, gardener 2005, Kikyo Lace.

Count Drac

To the new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278431

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 2:27 PM

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Wow, look at all the beautiful blooms, was wondering where you all went too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.