August to Winter Blooms

Toledo, OH

Karen {nutsfordaylily}, did you get your order from Bob Selman? I got mine friday. He sent beautiful plants as always. I ordered 3 plants and he sent 4 gift plants. They are in the ground and we are going to get frost tonight. I think I will put some leaves around them since I just got them in. By the way, I have enjoyed seeing all your flowers.They are beautiful. Karen

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

You were right Karen! AARON's LITTLE WHOPPER bloomed yesterday, and the bloom was still good today. I took a couple of pics 10/7 and 10/8

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Linda, that's a nice little whopper. Took DW to Kmart today and found them clearancing out all mulch for $2 per bag. Brought home 10 bags of pine bark mulch. Probably should go back and get some more.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice, Linda! Looks like it didn't want to open all the way. Probably doesn't like the cold. Congrats! Here's to all the blooms on that scape opening up before you get a frost or freeze.

Karen

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Good evening everybody, it is still fairly warm here and has been raining for three days. I had a few daylilies open in the past few days, because of all the rain they are very happy right now!
I also got a good size order from Bob Selman, I purchased eleven from him on eBay and he sent seven bonus plants. Very good size plants. You would have to look really hard to find plants that size for his price.

some october blooms. :) Bella Sera, Song Writer, Condilla.

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Very nice blooms, virginiarose. I have not gotten my order from Bob yet, nor heard from him. Will have to email him and as what's up. My season is shorter than yours, I'm guessing. I would think his customers further north would be first priority, unless it's first come, first served.

Karen

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Karen, Bob must be a very busy man, I have a few on my watch list and as far as I know he is still shipping. I noticed that sellers in the higher zones ship later. He is in NC same zone as me probably and fall is just now arriving.

susan

Toledo, OH

Susan, very pretty pictures. I really like your Bella Sera . You sure got a nice order from Bob Selman. He sent me huge plants too, but then he always does. It is just like christmas when you are opening his box. His plants do so well too. your plants will have more time to get established if fall is just starting for you. We have already had two frosts this past few days. I had to pull a couple zinnias yesterday that were touched by frost And this was after planting my order from him last wednesday I am thinking of mulching the new ones now rather than waiting for the ground to freeze Karen.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Daylilies can be 'heeled in' very successfully if there's no time to plant in fall. I've never done it, but read about it.

I sent Bob an email last night. Have not heard back from him yet.

Karen

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

If you like that Christmas feeling, don't forget to try Maryott's! Wow, he sent me two of his introductions for free, and they were listed for 100.00 each. Also if you add to your order over the summer you get to take advantages of the special bonuses. Like Rachelle Agin which was listed for 90.00, Bluegrass memories listed for 40.00 and Artistically Engraved also listed for 100.00, got all these for free. Plus he has BOGO's which I also took advantage of, so all together I got 25 bonus plants if you count the BOGO's the second plant is a bonus, right? WhooHoo!

susan

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I like that Bella Sera and Condilla too. Sounds like you got some awesome bonuses! I LOVE opening up a box of daylilies...... it is like Christmas! Every time.................

Genna

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I was so happy, just like a kid at christmas! :)

susan

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I love that feeling, too. Can't wait to get mine from Bob. I've ordered from Maryott's before, too, as well as Brown's Ferry Gardens. Both sent great looking plants.

Karen

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

I have another bloom on AARON'S LITTLE WHOPPER. I can't get Tinkers web site to show up, so can't pull a picture from it.

However, AHS has a pic and it shows a really rounded bloom with curved back petals. I thought perhaps mine just wouldn't open up all the way, but in looking at the one on AHS, maybe mine is open all the way. I don't know!

Thumbnail by l2le
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Just got an email from Bob today, and my plants have been shipped. Yippee! Can't wait to see what I got for bonuses.

Nice that you got another bloom, Linda! I think yours is not quite open all the way. I pulled up Tinker's and checked the pics there.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

At least you have color in October!! I know it must be fun just to have DLs blooming this late!

Now the anticipation Karen, waiting on that package to come in the mail. I looked again yesterday at his listings..... there are a few I would really like to have, especially since he said they were giving lots of bonuses trying to make room for the new season...... but with 50 pots on the front porch, I am just not sure it is a good idea. :( MAYBE if I make a lot of progress this weekend, I might can order some at the first of the week! ^_^ Talk about motivation.........

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Karen what did you get?

I just got my third order from Daylilies by the Pond, very nice company that sends big fans.

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Genna, I'd like to order more myself, but it's getting a bit cold here, so I'll wait for spring. Besides, I still have lots to pot up to sell to make room for new ones.

Those look great, VA. Here's what I got from Bob.

SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE
SKINWALKER
LINDY TWIRL
WINTER IN EDEN
SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION
SPACECOAST STARBURST
PARTY PINAFORE
RASPBERRY WINTER
ELECTRIC MIST

Karen

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Wow, great list! I need to see if Bob has anymore Starburst. I was biding on one and lost. I had no idea he had any.

susan

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Karen, make sure you mulch Skinwalker. The first time I purchased it I lost it to winter kill. Thought I would try again so I purchased it again and mulched it heavily and it was fine. Now that I have a small clump of it I don't bother mulching it any more.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the tip. Will do. I think I will be mulching all my new purchases this year, especially the ones I'm planting now.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

A few from recently.
Blackeyed Stella
Happy Returns
Inimitable with Heavenly Angel Ice in the background and buds on Fransis Of Assisi to the left.
Inimitable, head on.
Heavenly Angel Ice

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Anemone, nice fall bloomer
Mums, perennial
Reblooming Iris
Stella's Sparky, fasciated scapes clump shot.
Stella D'Oro

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mal, struggling to open in the cold.
She's not too thrilled that winter is here.
Heliantus Lemon Queen
Front garden protector
I counted 15 plants with scapes. With the cold moving in I know not to expect much.
Blackeyed Stella- 2. Second plant have one
Francissis Of Assisi- 2
Roman Cohort - new this year. first scape
Stella D'Oro
Inimitable
Heavenly Angel Ice
Stella's Sparky does have a ordinary scape left on it.
Final Touch
On And On
Mal
Happy Returns
Valentine Greetings - got this one from "Spunky Fred". 2nd scape
Blissful Blackberry Pie - new this year. First scape.
Prairie Wildfire
Possible useful info on rebloom, etc ?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Longest blooming Calla lily I have seen
HAI, double awhile back.
The finches love this stack of seed stalks from the Liatris stuffed in the suet feeder.
Fleece flower

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

That fleece flower is interesting - haven't seen that before! I also like that Lemon Queen Heliantus. Can't believe you have so many scrapes this time of year! Is this normal?? or is it just the strange year we have had??

I had originally planned to put most of mine that are supposed to rebloom down on the end of my foundation bed I am working on because I come in that way every day and wanted to get the most enjoyment out of them..... but i am not sure how many rebloomers I ended up with there. I became so overwhelmed by trying to get the heights and colors coordinated that the reblooming issue fell by the wayside. :( It all becomes overwhelming to me when I start trying to select DLs or plant them!!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

The finches love my catnip seed. As soon as the catnip goes to seed they are all over it.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Really nice, Mike. Amazing you still have so much going on there.

Karen

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

hemlady, I did not know that. What kind of catnip do you have?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Gosh, I don't know. I thought catnip was all the same, lol. I do know that I end up pulling a lot of little plants up that seem to keep popping up all over the place.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks I did look it up and I heard it is invasive even in zone 6, so might want to leave it alone. Sure is pretty and I do like the idea of providing for the birds. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.