Mimosa Pudica

McKinney, TX

Well after posting a wanted ad for some Mimosa Pudica plants I found some growing on the curb in front of a gas station today in McKinney TX. I love these things they close their leaves when touched. But anyway I've got them soaking in hot water now. I wanted to ask if anyone else has ever tryed to grow plants from the wild? These plants are wild but are commonly grown as house plants. I've had success with common cattails and managed to keep them dwarfed despite their invasive reputation. But Mimosa plants are a bit different. I also know many discourage growing a plant from the wild. So tomarrow morning I'll proceed to sow the seeds as instructions say.

UPDATE I recieved some seeds I ordered on Ebay. Now to make it intresting, I have the wild seeds in one cup of hot water and the shipped seeds in another. Tomarrow I'm going to plant them in pots labeled plant A and plant B so see which germinate faster.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 4:08 PM

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

They need lots and lots of humidity.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I question whether the plant you found at the gas station is really Mimosa pudica--it doesn't occur in TX so if this was something that sprouted up on its own (vs being planted on purpose) I suspect it's a weed that has leaves that look similar to Mimosa. If you post a picture of it on the Plant ID forum, someone can probably tell you what it is and whether it's something you want to continue to put effort into caring for.

McKinney, TX

Quote from ecrane3 :
I question whether the plant you found at the gas station is really Mimosa pudica--it doesn't occur in TX so if this was something that sprouted up on its own (vs being planted on purpose) I suspect it's a weed that has leaves that look similar to Mimosa. If you post a picture of it on the Plant ID forum, someone can probably tell you what it is and whether it's something you want to continue to put effort into caring for.
I'm thinking it may also be Mimosa nuttallii which is drought tolerant and looks like the Pudica being a close relative of the same family as Mimosa Pudica. And as the Mimosa Pudica the Mimosa nuttallii closes it's leaves when touched.

McKinney, TX

Quote from gasrocks :
They need lots and lots of humidity.
Already covered. I'm going to be growing it in a floating planter in my pond. There's an unlimited source of water.

McKinney, TX

Seeds planted. I have the pots labeled "A" and "B". The Wild seeds are in pot "A'' and the seeds I got off of Ebay are in pot "B". When they sprout I'll post pictures.

McKinney, TX

Day 2 they're already sprouting. Plant "B" Non wild.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2012 9:52 PM

Thumbnail by FountainMan
McKinney, TX

Day 3.

Note this picture was taken the day before.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2012 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by FountainMan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.