My, my grandma, What big ears you have!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, I'm willing to make the trip up to White Marsh! It's only an hour drive for me. It just depends on scheduling.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OMG--Now what do i do?????
Got myself into the middle of this......AAAGGHHHHH!

Now I will need to go there and find out, exactly, WHEN they would be digging these up.
Then I will let you all know--and you all better get your PU trucks here asap after that....

I DO NOT want to be responsible to take care of these dug up Bananas--not even for 5 minutes!!!

PLEASE--commit NOW!!! And then I will go and tell the owner to let me know when the
carnage is about to take place.....Which--may be very soon now. Hopefully--NOT done already.

Gita

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, I hope they haven't been dug up yet! It's still so early!

I just need to find out in advance when they're being dug up. I can do it this weekend!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I doubt if they will dig these up before November.

They hold BIG Fall Festivals all over the Nursery Grounds every weekend in October.

These plants are part of the landscaping around their huge Koi pond--which is very popular
with kids and families.

Here is one link of the Nursery,

http://perryhall.patch.com/listings/chapel-hills-farm-nursery#photo-723792

http://www.gardenguides.com/local-nurseries/md-perry-hall/

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Re digging up tropicals for the winter (like Elephants Ears) -- how do you do it? The one time I tried (can't remember what plant it was), I ended up spearing the bulbs. Do you do it by hand?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy, When I dug up my big Portadora, I tried pulling on them to see if that gave me any idea of where all the bulbs were. Then I cut off all the foliage. Went out pretty far with my shovel to see if I could move it to get a closer idea and then just went at them. I have nicked a few bulbs. I use a short tine heavy digging fork for some of the plants it works well also but I have forked a few bulbs, too.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks. Mine are in pots, but I'd love to put them in the soil. Maybe next year I'll put some of the smaller bulbs in the soil and see how it works out. Did your nicked bulbs survive the winter?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes they did but I guess it would depend on how bad you got them. Not like I cleaned and disinfected mine either.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

They may not bother digging them up until they get frost-killed. If they do dig them when they're still green, just chop off the pseudostem and throw the big corm (with whatever roots are attached) into a box. It would keep fine that way for a month as long as it didn't freeze.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

What is a pseudostem? I know it translates to fake-stem....Is it the big stem?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Might i suggest that gita give ssg the name and phone number of the nursery and bow out?
With time constraints the relaying messages is another complication.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I posted 2 links to Chapel Hills Nursery a few posts above with all heir information.

Anyone reading this post--and interested--can call them and find out the dates and make arrangements.
i really WOULD like to stay out of it. You can reference that "Gita told you about this"....They know who i am....

For those that did not open the links--here is their "stats".

Chapel Hills Nursery
4350 Chapel Rd
Perry Hall, MD 21128-9768

Phone: 410-256-5335

You can also always contact me via D-mail. Gita

Crozet, VA

Thought this would be a good place to share something that is new to me. I don't have a lot of experience with Elephant Ears, but do love them. On Saturday while looking out of my front window, I saw what I thought might be a yellow bloom on one. John said, no way.....but I went out with my camera and proved him wrong. This was really a big thrill for me to find this.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw Thumbnail by rubyw
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is beautiful Ruby. Isn't it fun when they do that so unexpected. Is yours fragrant? Some of them are they are called spathes.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Cool, Ruby!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That is really cool. I've been growing these for years and never gotten one to bloom a spathe, wow!
Here is a pic of one of mine from today.

Thumbnail by haighr
Crozet, VA

Gorgeous Haighr!!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks they are growing like weeds.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Even Abygail loves the ears!

Thumbnail by haighr
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think that leaf is bigger than Abygail. What a sweet child, so cute with a beautiful smile.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Awesome!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

That is a seriously insane ee!
Cute Abigail She looks like you!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone, she is something!

Crozet, VA

Ditto to all of the above.....sweet girl.

Ruby

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Adorable!!!

Crozet, VA

A report on the EE that I said bloomed last week or put out a spathe. It has done the same thing a few more times this week but I didn't capture it on the camera this time. The spathes sure don't last long though, two days at the most for mine it seems. First time for me seeing these so certainly a thrill for me.

Ruby

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Some of my Caladiums are putting them out right now. Can't wait to see you Ruby.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.