What's Going on in your Veggie Garden-Part 5

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1267208/#new

Things are heating up here again, meaning temps over 100º and no rain in sight. Truly the dog days of summer have set in. Okra still going strong, but the tomatoes are almost done in. I need to take some cuttings and get them in the ground for fall!

Here's today's harvest pics.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

The "Monica" tomatoes seem to have come back to life! Lots of small green maters and flowers. I've told my neighbor that the rest of the crop is hers. I've no room for more maters.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Oh good. Old thread getting very long.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A few tomatoes a cuke, watching the melons giving a try,I have given out on the fall this year ,a few beans some lettuce will most likely be about all.

Opposite unto the office phrase; My enthusiasm has been fired!! I will be setting up for next year this fall ,always something.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

stephanietx
what variety is that huge tomato you have on your second picture?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Took a couple pics at the market today.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

dr, it's a beefsteak. It's the 3rd one we've harvested this season and they are sooooo yummy!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Very nice, Country!!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

CountryGardens, you always have the most wonderful set of fruits and veggies displayed out. If I lived by yall, I would be your best customer...LOL

Jan

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

CountryGardens, your market set-up looks wonderful.

If I lived on a busy street, I think I would set-up a road side stand, but we live on a dead end street.

Here are some more tomatoes I picked with a Yard Long Bean and measuring tape to show size. They are (left to right) Whopper, Superfantastic, Sungolds, 2 Early Girl and some 4TH OF July

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Today was a good day for picking tomatoes. I had the most yet so far this year. I had enough that I was able to give some each to two neighbors which is good. Still plenty for myself. I have lots of split ones from the big rains we have had will eat them up later. Maybe a nice tomato salad.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I saw a tiny praying mantis on a tomato plant this morning. With all the years I've been gardening, this is the first one I've ever seen in my garden. I've seen them in other places, but never here.

I so hope it has lots of brothers and sisters!

Picked quite a few sweet peppers this morning. My daugher went home with a couple after our walk with the dogs.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Honeybee that is exciting to have praying mantis in your garden, I can make an afternoon of watching them, and I have. I love the way they spy something thing then move in for the kill. So stealth like.

Jan

Praying Mantis are common in my garden. One of the good bugs!

I sprayed all my tomato plants again today with the Daconil. The rain put me behind schedual. Oh well.

I pulled out pole beans and planted peas. Beautiful weather today and not hot so a really great day for working out in the garden.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Are you guys talking about me?

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Great photos, drthor! The one I saw was not much bigger than my smallest finger nail. I had to look real close to tell it was actually a mantis.

meadowyck - hopefully the one I saw will escape the birds and grow to be large enough for me to watch it at work.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Pulled up my garlic! Just 6 bulbs but they came out great!

This message was edited Jul 21, 2012 8:27 PM

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

They do look good, Tommy. If you save the largest cloves, you could replant them this fall and have more garlic next year.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great job, Tommy!! I agree, save some of the cloves and replant them in the fall for more garlic.

Lots of okra picked today! Will be having okra for dinner tonight! Also got a few more cukes and cherry tomatoes.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh I planned on replanting some of them! I've grown them before!

Thanks for the comments!

Picked the first two of my BEEFMASTER Tomatoes. There are lots of green ones and some more ripening on the vines.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita

For ripe ones the WHOPPERS and EARLY GIRLS are getting red. But VIVIA ITALIAS are still all green.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita

My very first CHEROKEE PURPLE tomato. Never planted these before!

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Salad Bush cucumbers planted in a bowl planter. You can't see but there are lots of cukes.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

My other cucumbers are planted along a trellis that is in the path in the middle of my backyard daylily garden.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Hard to see but odd looking chinese cucumber. Still just starting and small yet.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Honestly, the amount of produce most of you on this thread haul in is daunting as I don't get nearly so much. Probably have lots less planted too. But I am very pleased with my veggies.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

NYrita you are going to love your cherokee purple you have a wonderful garden.

Jan

Thanks. I do love to be out around the garden. Growing lots of veggies again this year after cutting back the past two years. But I missed my fresh veggies much too much.

Talihina, OK

I have an Okra plant that has branched without any help from me I plan to save seed from this plant just to see if I can get more of the branching plants >>My friend had some of the branching that he had gotten the seed from an old time okra grower in North Texas but he somehow let his seed get eaten by rats and we have not found any since ..i always have some sort of gardening experiment going on ...

I ate one of those two BEEFMASTER tomatoes I had picked on the 23rd for lunch today. Oh yummy, yummy, yummy. Made tomato sandwiches. I LOVE tomato sandwiches. They were soooo good.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

NYrita, I hope you had fresh ground pepper on those mater sandwiches...LOL Yummy for sure.

Jan

Nope, didn't need any pepper.

Picked cucumbers today.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita

also picked tomatoes

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

NYrita your produce is looking good, with nice amounts for your hard work.

Jan

Thanks! My tomatoes and cucumbers are really doing good and pretty soon lots more ripe fruit should start pouring in. Most of the people here on this forum grow so many more types of veggies than I do but I am pleased.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Today's harvest, more okra and tomatoes.

My okra is now taller than I am!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I really like your tomatoes, not the okra, well, I don't eat it but I'm going to try growing some for my dad who loves them.

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.