Watermelon!
(6 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(17 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I stay inside all the times when the hot and humidity...

Concord, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't WANT to cool down in the summer. I love the heat!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I actually dislike AC more than I hate heat. I think. I like spring. That's my final answer.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

A nice dry summer Rose' wine.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Other. I typically chase the shade when working outside. I can also get some instant relief by just going down into the basement, but that's boring. When the heat gets truly unbearable (not often) we escape into Puget Sound on our little 12' Duroboat with some iced down Budweiser. .

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

There's nothing like cooling down in the A/C with a big glass of Gatorade, lemonade or iced tea. Perks you up in no time and you're ready to get outside and tackle the heat again. Get hot again and repeat the procedure.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Both: Coming indoors to the air conditioning.
A favorite beverage which would prolly be water.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I'm with Regality and Carrielamont. I love the heat and hate a/c.
I will say though, that when the temps were in the 90's last week, with a heat index over 100, I did stay inside during the heat of midday. ;)
Barb

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I prefer to chase the shade if it's not unbearable and there is a breeze. Otherwise I just come inside to the a/c and cool off. Would rather hop in the pool but don't have one and no private or flat spot to put it. lol

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I happen to work (as a profession) outdoors. The heat and humidity can be extreme, so coming indoors to cool off in the A/C is a true relief. Those who must exert themselves in this terrible heat and humidity are thankful for air conditioning. Those who work indoors most of the time do not understand what I mean!

Calgary, Canada

The basement stays cool for me.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

school pool swimming with the crazy people who swim with a coach every day

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

our swimming pool, hands down then next is our sweet tea, (which for your northern folks is sweet Ice Tea).LOL

Jan

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Voted coming in to cool down in the a/c.
It gives me time to get things done indoors.

I must admit, watermelon ran a close second.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2012 11:09 PM

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Couldn't live here without a/c, and ice water is my beverage of choice year round.

Dahlonega, GA

Gotta be ice cold watermelon , right out of the fridge . The fridge is in an air conditioned house , naturally . Then a nap .
Or a frozen margaretta on the porch , if it's later in the day . Also have a swamp cooler on the porch for me and the dogs to stay cool .
So , I guess all four places and things go together .

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

I voted "other" and am also a member of the "i hate air conditioning more than i hate the heat" club although i might feel differently if i lived in Arizona or Mumbai. But i do have ceiling fans. The Pacific Ocean is about 30 minutes from where i live. To chill out and cool down I go to a small Mexican village (no tourists), sit under a large umbrella at the edge of the continent and have either or both fresh coconut water from the coconut (no tequila added!) and/or a big shrimp cocktail with a nice cold beer. It is cool AND relaaaaxxxing. wowzer...I wonder what i have to do today?

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I left South Florida to get away from the heat and humidity. This summer the Florida weather found me!

I do all my gardening chores in the early hours, and then retreat into the blessed air conditioned interior.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Honeybee if ya had to leave at least you went to a great state. I love the carolina's.... whether it is north or south and VA, thats it for the eastern states...LOL

Jan

digger, what is a swamp cooler?

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

meadowyck - the fall colors make up for having to endure hot summers here. One thing I missed when living in South Florida (Palm Beach County) were TREES!

One year a girlfriend sent me a gift while she was on vacation. When I opened it, out tumbled fall leaves in beautiful golds and reds. I burst into tears! It was then that I knew I HAD to leave Florida.

Dahlonega, GA

Flower , in the west , the air is so dry that you can get a nosebleed pretty easy . The air conditioner of choice is a swamp cooler , or another name is evaporator cooler. It's a metal frame box with pads on three sides that water is pumped up and drains down into the pads and a fan inside blows the air out , bringing air in through the wet pads and blowing it out . They sit in a window but I have mine just setting on the porch to keep the dogs and me cool .The water is delivered in a plastic hose like for a fridg and a float in the bottom of the box that cuts the water off and on when enough is used out of the bottom . If I could load pictures , I'd post one .

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Coming in to a/c? I try not to go out ^_^, absolutely hate this heat!!! but I like to cool off with ice cream

Dahlonega, GA

Just had some with fresh peaches I froze last week .
Oh , looky , no one voted for watermelon . That means I don't have to share.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I don't have much trouble with heat here in Ventura, we're right on the beach. But when I move back to KY this weekend, I will have to fight the humity that is there. I did it before by taking cold showers in the afternoon and staying in the shade or on the bed infront of a fan. We don't have air conditioning in the trailer we live in in KY. Of course there's always Lake Cumberland to go jump in.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Other: this "summer", putting on the central heating, to bring the temperature up from Cold to Cool

:-(((

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Digger, we had a swamp cooler on top of the house when we were in Texas. They use them like air conditioners there because the humidity is almost zip. I had never seen one. Lots less expensive than A/C too. But, honey, I am ruined. Can't live without my A/C.

Dahlonega, GA

We called them air conditioners because that's what they did .The only places that had refrigerated air were businesses . Thank you, Lord, for refrigerated air .
My little old dogs enjoy the swamp cooler on hot days and even the ceiling is insulated on the porch .

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Other: because there was no "all of the above" button :)

Mount Vernon, KY

Digger thanks for telling us about the swamp cooler - I too was wondering what it was.

hmmmm -- Lake Cumberland - is nice and cool even in the hottest weather for some reason.

There have been a couple of times that I thought my brain was going to over heat - pouring a bottle of cold water over my head, a water hose to pour over my head helps a lot.
- This summer My aunt just walked out of her house to say hi to a neighbor, she has lupus , but feels and is doing well. She didn't even know she passed out untill she woke up in the ambulence on the way to the ER. Since I have reached the age that I feel in a constant heat even in the winter maybe I will pick cooer times to o my garden work, and dig the post hole for the fences?

Nope, not ready to lay down yet -- bottles of water, are great, even in the sun!.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

FOR NOW the A.C. wins a vote. watermelon and ice water sure are good though!!!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Growing up in Tucson, AZ, all we had was a swamp cooler and when the summer monsoons came, it didn't work very well. Needless to say, I have a heat pump now which refrigerates in summer and heats in winter. My daughter's house has both swamp and air conditioning and I do envy her lower electric bills when she can get by with the swamp cooler.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I remember swamp coolers from early life in Arizona too. But I wanna find that part of Texas that doesn't have any humidity.

Here in east Texas, we swim in humidity, who needs a pool?!?! Kristi

Dahlonega, GA

Yes to humidity . It is horrible to get out of a cool shower and (dry ?) off . Then go get another shower . The cycle never ends . And sweaty hair ? UGH !

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

You all remember the saying ; if you cant take the heat,get out of the kitchen.!

UH WHERE'S THE EXIT!!!

bertrand, Canada

Hi all! I'm new arround here so I just wanted to peek in and join the fun! :-)

I voted for the pool 'cause I finally got the thing working...so I'm certainly going to try to get the most out of it! Close second is frozen grapes! If you've never tried them you just gotta...they are sooooo refreshing!

Mount Vernon, KY

Hi:
Thanks for the tip on frozen grapes.
Frozen watermelon, here.
I raised a whole field full of them last year, and sold them. Some girl stopped by an bought five of my biggest ones. I tried it - they are great!

Our pool got old and busted out the seam, flooded the yard, scared the dog and delighted the geese. Chemicals are so expensive - it was just as well. We sold it for scrap metal and we got 300 dollars for it. I was suprised and very pleased. We had bought it used 10 year ago.

Thanks, digger, for the info on swamp coolers. I don't think I've ever seen one. I -DO- remember 'back when' the businesses had A/C, but not many homes did. We didn't, and I always loved going to the store because it was cool there. My parents were some of the last people to get A/C. I went away to college, and when I returned, they had A/C. What's with that? LOL My little sisters loved it, and I was so glad for them. :)

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Ice cool skim milk for me. I've loved that over water since I was a kid.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.