July Weather- one word, HOT!

Mountain View, HI

No posts on the weather journal must mean everyone is outside enjoying a great weekend and not sitting at their computer.

Great weather here as predicted. Dry, a little variable breeze, puffy white clouds and a humid 80f.

Had great fun this afternoon cutting down 70ft high bamboo. Gunshot loud series of cracks as the saw went through the old cane and it fell to the ground. the older and harder the canes the louder the noise. New canes are larger but softer. Not nearly as much fun. The canes I cut down were about 3 inch diameter. The more recent growth from last year is about 6-8 inches in diameter and must be getting close to 100ft. Brandisii is the name. Could hear crack echo through the neighborhood. Of course we hear enough real gunshots in the neighborhood that no one came inquiring as to our safety.

Sunkissed - love those wildflowers, brilliant colours.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

High in the high 90s but still under 100. Right now temps are still in the 90s but low 90s. Will start scorching tomorrow.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

71º this morning, going for 90+.
Thunderstorm over night, not sure how much rain. Haven't checked the gauge yet, but anything would be an improvement.
If it was over a ¼", I may have to mow the lawn. It is looking pretty ragged, not being mowed for about 5 weeks. It still looks better than all the scalped lawns around. They are dead brown.

(Zone 7a)

Bernie, we have neighbors that scalp theirs, too. By this time every year they look awful and they can't figure out why.

90s again today with scattered clouds and possible pop-up thunderstorms.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

3 more tornadoes touched down in Saskatchewan last night. One poor farmer lost his home/yard/vehicles and had been there when it touched down. He hadn't gone to his basement so was found wandering around in shock.

We only hit a high of 24C yesterday without humidex (solid cloud cover and more darn rain stopped the temps from rising).

I captured this pic by our farm (we went out there to see if our crops were either destroyed by hail or under water or if our bins had flown away (all was good except the land that was already flooded early this spring).

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

How terrible Lilypon, I feel for that poor man...stay safe. That is a really eerie looking sky.

Out on the road today my car showed the outside temp at 99°...first time this summer I've seen that. The bank sign showed it was 96°...sure it was just hotter in the traffic. We are now getting some very heavy rain, a tropical low is coming up from the south...had no idea this was coming...but much welcomed, should cool us down now.

Some weather clouds from when we were at the beach last week...

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

High over 100, now down to 99. Not much change!! lol.

(Zone 7a)

"Only" 93º today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

At 7pm central time it is still over 100 degrees at 102. Crazy!!!!!

Mountain View, HI

Trade winds have returned but still mostly dry and warm, about 80f. Still light showers at night. Normal weather has returned for now.

Giant white shell ginger finally bloomed for the first time. - compared to the Pink

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

82°/97°/73°
A mix of clouds and sun. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.

It's been hot and dry here! We watered some of the grass we planted last fall, but two more days of intense heat and no rain will take it's toll.

Kevin,
I usually only see stink bugs on squash. They've killed my volunteer already. I don't know what to de besides Sevin.
Awesome Granddaughter :o)

Mike,
That's what people seem to do with their old satellites. We let the guy take our's because a lady wanted to do the same, and we didn't have room to do so.
Wow, it's really deep when it's on the ground, LOL!

Pepper,
I just had to smile over the wet dog in the truck. Pe-yew!

Ju,
Dry dust describes my dirt too :o(

Kevin,
Laughing! I think our old one was 9' or 10'. We tried to ring it with Christmas lights one year and it was cool, but we had too many left over lights to try and hide. Black garbage bag worked for a short while till they got too hot. Our's was solid and cream colored.

Lilypon,
We were getting adequet rain like that for the last few years. It was great even tho we had mosquitos.
Wow, a tornado! Is that common for you? (You answered that.)

Celia,
Laughing! I'm not in December yet, but I was thinking about August!
Awww, love Isis in the snow!

Hi Pirl!

Beautiful flowers Mike!
What floats on your pond? We have bright green duck weed on our back waters.

Adina,
I haven't even taken any pictures of my tomatoes or green beans.

Bernie,
We have those no wet rains too :o(

Geeze Pepper,
Trucks ''melting.'' That's bad!!

Jeanne,
Glad you had help with your Mom's things.

Sherri,
Beauty at the beach! I think I have the first flower, or close to it. Mountain mint, a sort of Beebalm.

Bernie, Celia, it's because they have no grass from the repeated scalping so now they scalp the weeds. I don't get these people either...

Wow Lilypon! Those are some clouds! I really feel for the farmer.

Sherri,
Neat sky pictures! Love the first three with an object in them. Such contrast! All are calender worthy!

We are in for hot and dry for a few more days. Any green grass under the trees is slowly losing it's color.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some the grass has a slight green color from drizzle days and a couple of storms. It's suppose to be in the 90's and it's 72 degrees,that is a little cool after all the 100 degree days.
Today's forecast is for 94 ,90 by noon,I suppose this is one of those existential days that nobody can explain.All that moisture staying in the atmosphere and weather change does some odd things. Like the mammoths that were chewing on a nice dinner of palm fronds and then poof, they were frozen solid.
Well I have no doubt that 102 for tomorrow will most likely happen though. Today's cool gives me a bit of a headache though, must be getting weather sensitive myself (lol) (although that's really not as funny it sounds)
Cloudy currently,deciding if it wants to rain or not. Really a nice day all in all..

Thumbnail by juhur7
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Gorgeous clouds Sunkissed (haven't seen normal ones like that here for a couple of years now). Ours are all NASTY looking things (amazing to capture on a camera but not so fun to live under......for ever and ever).

Just think what food is going to cost if a lot of crops up here are destroyed (previous storms and current ones) given how many have died/will be lost below the border and down East in Ontario.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

Well not sure which is worse, the nice, dry 100 degree TEXAS heat, or this crummy, humid, rain-stormy 97* in Central Florida... It's rained every day & you can't get nothing done outside after 11:00 am. It's kind of hard to get a house painted, or major yard work done when it constantly looks like it's ready to downpour!!!!

End of witch...LOL... session....

96 currently. A couple more days and this will be our high. I never thought I'd be happy to see 90s for a high. I've always hated the 90s and preferred the 80s. lol

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

screen captures from Saskatchewan's Tornado Hunter's Live feed yesterday:

This is in no way, shape or form Saskatchewan's normal weather (and it in various nasty forms has been ongoing since April).

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 4:16 AM

Thumbnail by Lilypon Thumbnail by Lilypon Thumbnail by Lilypon Thumbnail by Lilypon Thumbnail by Lilypon
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Hot, hot and hot. We are probably going to see our hottest days this season since no rain in the forecast. The rains the other day cooled us down to 73, and yes the humidity is high, but we just turn our outside fan on and still enjoy the coolness. Tomorrow prediction 97 and 0% chance of rain.

I worked in the yard yesterday planting some of the last things that were in pots and had to go into the ground. I'm grateful for my outdoor shower, just keep cooling myself off with cold water. Was cloudy most the day and very breezy, so not too bad. Glad it is done because today will be sunny and much hotter.

Lilypon, those are dramatic storm cloud formations. I know how dangerous storms are but have to admit I have always found them fascinating to look at.

103 currently. Rain chances overnight with a "cool" front coming in for a couple days.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

5 more tornadoes were confirmed yesterday. Our average for a season is 12. This year we've had over 30 (around 32). I don't know what the final confirmed count will be since Environment Canada only counts ones that come from different cells (if one cell drops 3 tornadoes they will only count 1 of them).

From Tuesday (this one landed near my boss's family farm.....another one landed near the small town where my MIL lives).

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well we have that humidity while its partly cloudy to sunny, so hot and humid it is stifiling. 90's and rising right now.
Lilypon; We had our tornadoes early I guess,usually we have all kinds of them this time of year,one partly destroyed this town back in the 70's,and I was near the infamous Xenia Ohio tornado back in the sixties,saw the top of that one from where I was.
In 96 I was outside when the wind came through and a big plate glass viewing window torn from someones home came flying past me whizzing and whistling like a ball swinging around on a string.That stuck in back wall of the house after part of it shattered.
All in all the debris and devastation those things cause is tremendous beyond the usual imagination.Only Time will tell the effect of this drought ,storms and inclimate weather.Not to far away from my extreme drought zone ,I hear it is really getting bad. Prayers and patience is about all any can do.I feel for you all, I really do!

RAIN!!!!!! We got rain overnight!!!!! Anywhere from a half inch to over an inch in places. Not enough but it's something. Bad thing is I'm so used to watering this time of day that I'm at loose ends cause everything got rained on. lol.

Our high was around 93 today. Humid though.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

juhur7 ours this year have been relatively polite (in most cases picking on empty fields) and amazingly only 1/2 have had some oomph to them. We know how bad they can get down there and that is the cause of most stress up here (will we have the right conditions to make them more dangerous ie F3 to F5). I've only seen one tornado dance out in a field and that was years ago (it was an F2). We've had a number of F4's over the years (one nearly removed our capital city from the map back in 1912) but most have danced out in the country (without damaging or causing death). 2007 however a little town in Manitoba had an F5 come visit and the next day they had one cell drop 3 F3 tornadoes.

They are a worry for sure (but I wouldn't say we live under the same stress as those in the State's Tornado Alley do). However the torrential rains have caused a lot of stress for farmers who are now looking at their gorgeous crops under a couple of feet of water (we have 360 acres that are that way but they got 10 inches of rain prior to planting so that area is most definitely resting this year). Others nearby have had their whole farms flooded and others of course have been hailed out (claims for hail are at record levels again this year).

Of the past 3 years our farms been flooded twice (and prior to that we were having drought conditions like many down there are now having). Can't get a break and with bad crops everywhere I am hoping ours makes it (and when we have horrendous drought I do hope that everywhere else is doing better just to keep food prices down).

Here's a video of what Saskatchewan looked like last year (and the year before) and this year too in some areas (we don't drain well). It's a good example of toooooooo much of a good thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdEQaN52n6g The rancher that posted it said "may we never see this much again." Well worth watching to the end (it is what caused Minot to flood so badly) and of course the rains that fell here and in North Dakota caused Manitoba billions of dollars in flood control/damage.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2012 12:06 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Happy to see some of you folks getting rain (so much better than us)!!!! :D

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Thunder showers the past hour!!!! cooool!!!!

A nice day temp wise. Barely reached 90.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

One particularily nasty week of storms is coming up for Saskatchewan this week (we will be sending moisture down there)

Another week of summer and another wave of severe storms. As the midlevel Jet stream persists over the prairies and a warm, humid surface airmass hangs around, conditions could not be better for severe weather.

Starting on Saturday July 28th my chase target will be Oyen, Alberta or Melville, Sask. There are storms that will persist through the overnight and that may affect the decision for tomorrow. I will have a look again in the morning and make a decision. (Update: The early morning models have me leaning toward a target area closer to Hiway 1 East of Regina - 3:15am MDT)

Tuesday is another day that is shaping up to have significant severe storm potential in a few areas of the prairies.

Then the big show! Its looking like either Thurdsday or Friday August 3rd next week will bring a significant threat for severe storms and more Tornadoes. If the current models verify we could see the most potent forecast of the summer so far. Given the timing this could have implications for those making plans for weekend, as well as several events that are planned around Eastern Saskatchewan and Western Manitoba.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

This map shows the CAPE (Convective available potential Energy) that peaks over eastern Saskatchewan on Friday August 3rd.

The moisture that was over us (in this forecast model) is now showing that it has headed down.

Hope for your sakes it verifies (and misses me).

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Mountain View, HI

Very quiet, slightly wet Hawaiian weather. Light breezes, humid, temps near 80f. Much hotter in Honolulu nearer 87f. Ground never dries out, muddy pathways in the forest not pleasant to walk on but everything is growing like tropical crazy.

Not too bad today. Cool this morning but it quickly heated up to low 90s.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hey! ½" of rain overnight. I swear the weeds doubled in size from yesterday.
Everything looks way better.
Muggy today, nice temp.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

We took a trip to my sisters ,birthday parties her's, mine, grandma's Anniversary .I was looking at all the half size corn stalks in the fields.Terrible the drought truly,I have never seen the corn as small as it is to my memory.Soybeans looked good,I hope they are as good as they looked.

SUNNY near ninety,60's for tonight, rained for 4to5 hours three days ago,maybe some more later his week, maybe? Prayers and hopes to those of you more directly effected by all this.I have no idea of the miracle it is going take with the problems going like they are everywhere.

Still no rain and temps reached around 106 today.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

This thread lived certainly up to it's title;July Weather one word HOT!, Well it's hot, how redundant this has all gotten to be, High's in the 90's low's in the 70s
I'm beginning to believe the thermometer got stuck or something!!.For those of you a little farther south I Imagine those triple digit temps seem the same.
There are five or six chances of rain this week,I will believe it when I see it ,wow,, who turned on the furnace!!!
Today will break the record here from 1901 for most 90 degree days in July (26),and there are a few to go.
I hear Northern Oklahoma is cooking,as in dry baking.The rivers where I'm really from in Illinois are drying up I hear.

Yes this is certainly One Long''HOT"Summer AND ONCE AGAIN "WOW,!! and MAN"
Gloom, Despair and,Misery Does hat describe being outside? How about "GOOD GRIEF" It's no wonder we meditate in the garden, good reason.

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

Wow, Lilypon, those tornado pics are scary. I never realized you got tornadoes up there! I hope you have a good cellar.

We have had over 11 days with temps over 100 this month. Today was only in low 90s but very humid. Some sprinkles here and there but not enough to do anything.

Mountain View, HI

Tropical disturbance passing about 300 miles to the south is giving us a couple of days of overcast, wet weather
Over the last 18 months I don't think we have had a stretch of hot sunny dry weather that lasted for more than three or four days. We are not getting flooding rains but it is constant rain and showers The paths in the forest don't get a chance to dry out are now deeper in mud than we have seen them in the 20 years we have lived here. So now we just don't go walking in the forest unless it is necessary to retrieve plants that were put far away from the house years ago.

Moss covers everything and the catchment tank is constantly feeding the duck pond through the overflow pipe. Not sure now we will find a break to have our roof powerwashed and painted.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

74°/92°/63°
Partly cloudy. Hot. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph

I'm too far behind to even read everything :o(

Friday, we got the twins and kept them overnight. Saturday the boys came and we kept everyone overnight. By Sunday afternoon I was ready to send them all home. When they were gone, I missed them :o)

No rain in sight and nothing but a wetting of the rain guage when rain did pass over us. It's another hot dry week. At least I have all the beds weeded now so they can't soak up any water.

Last week I started buying canned goods for the winter. I know food prices are going to go way up! My peppers fall off before I can get any. The tomatoes are doing good. I have about 15 on the counter that need skinned, stewed and frozen. I ate two in the garden last night and the cherry tomatoes look like fireworks, LOL! I ate as many dark red ones as I could :o)

It's another hot dry week with no rain in sight. We will bbe watering all week.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It raining here with the sun shining , This will most likely be one of those five or ten minute showers that raises the humidity to be unbearable.It is still in the nineties for temps usual as is recently. Nice mornings in the high 60's low 70s though,I like those mornings that way.
However rain is rain at this point, I will take all I can get and still want and hope for more!
I say that here as I'm watching the steam rolling in waves across the pavement.Rains really vaporizing as it comes in to contact with the ground.Still way to hot people!

98 as I type. Here we go again. Is it October yet???

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New month, new thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273499/

This thread is closed!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.