July Weather- one word, HOT!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

if April showers bring may flowers
During June, the Sun cooks everything until it's done,
And during July all will fry, till it blows away in the wind,
as though it could fly

Makes ya wonder about August?

(Zone 7a)

I don't even want to THINK about August. For once in my life, I'm thinking about December.

90º for today. I think it rained last night and I missed it.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm with kwanjin! Can't remember a summer where I just wanted it to be done so we could resume a normal life in September.

Mountain View, HI

Night time showers again so ground is still kind of water logged but bright blue sky and fluffy white clouds today. A few passing showers just forcing us to do indoor chores.

Epis from 2 nights ago, Heliconia doing well, Canna I'd forgotten about

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb
Mountain View, HI

Oops, wrong canna, although the orange one is doing great. Here' the other one. Its a NOID

Thumbnail by microb
(Zone 7a)

I think your Canna is called 'Pistol Pete' or 'Lucifer.' It's beautiful!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/314302/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/12086/

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

We got caught in an intense thunderstorm last evening while in Austin & Round Rock. Finally got out this morning & checked the rain gauge, another 2 1/2" of rain. This has been an incredible week, the better part of 8" in the gauge. I just hope it keeps up while I'm gone...

Kevin

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Still hot and still dry. Pretty humid though.

I agree with Kwanjin and ju. I can't wait til the cooler months when it's (hopefully) not so dry and definitely not hot!!

Mountain View, HI

Thanks Kwanjin - I'll go with "Lucifer" Must put a plastic knife in the pot tomorrow and use the permanent marker.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Mike, great flowers!
We had rain too for the last few days, lots of showers and buckets!Temps are going down to 85F and 70 at night.
First ripe tomatoe and cukes.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Temp is currently around 99 according to my email home page. I think it's off a bit. I didn't sweat enough for it to be that hot. lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Mall sign said 100º at 5PM. To da** hot!

Mountain View, HI

Same again today. Rain showers overnight, nice blue sky morning and then showers again by 3pm. Spend most of the day in the "greenhouse" repotting Epis, Amaryllis and making Fuchsia hanging baskets.

Metal rails between trees for the Fuchsia hanging baskets, Can't beat that morning sunshine

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb

Bernie, glad I'm not the only one dealing with those high temps this late in the day.

(Zone 7a)

We have mid-upper 90s the rest of the week. Shesh!

Thumbnail by kwanjin Thumbnail by kwanjin Thumbnail by kwanjin
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

juhur7 asked "Tornadoes don't happen there in Saskatchewan all that often do they? Or is that the far north edge of the North American tornado zone?"

We are in the far Northern range of the N.A. tornado zone (part of Canada's Tornado Alley).
We've had at least 20 tornadoes touch down this spring (average) and around 500 funnel clouds reported (photoraphed) but with the conditions we are now facing +40 humidex more dangerous ones will be popping up (about 15 of the earlier tornadoes were cold weather ones).

Saskatchewan has had one F4 land in a city (we thankfully have lots of open country here) that did millions of dollars damage. Manitoba in 2007 had one F5 hit a small village and one F3 a day later that had 3 tornadoes from the same cell.

Here's a link to Saskatchewan's and Canada's tornado chaser (each blog can be clicked on where lots of extreme weather pics can be seen: http://tornadohunter.ca/tornado-hunter-blog/). Scroll down the linked on page to see all the storms here (he also has some blog entries from the storm in Poland as well as storms he chased in the States .... sadly with pics from Joplin as well).

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

oh and today with humidex (dew point) factored in we will be 104 F (40 C)......yuck with no A/C here (will have to break down one of these days and get it if this kind of weather keeps up). We went through 30 years of dry (with a few exceptions), now it could be 30 years of wet and humid for here. (I am not a fan of humidity).

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lilypon; I agree about the humidity,I imagine about the only thing moving around that enjoys the humidity is the mosquitoes. Stay storm safe,they are bad and sometimes frightening recently.
101 YESTERDAY 100,TODAY ,Longest drought since 1908,Although it has rained where I am, including a whole three minute thunderstorm early this afternoon.
Same in forecast ,upper 90's with100 degree temperatures as far as the future forecast predicts.Same old same old,it's hot!!! it's dry!!!!

101 currently. Our high was around 103-106 range in the area. Still dry. Closest rain cell is over by Manhattan, KS a few hours away and it is already breaking up and not going anywhere.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

77 and rain currently,A five minute downpour so far is about all,rain is rain I will be happy and take all that it will.
90 forecast for today 84 for tomorrow, nicer but humid,really humid! 100'S for the remainder of the long forecast. Upper 90's mostly but whats the difference to doing anything when it is over 95 or so and heat indexes are well over triple digits.
Miserable weather, if not one thing ,another.It just started pouring down again as I type this .Needs to
rain all day, like that's going to happen(lol)

(Zone 7a)

Rain! Lucky you! Ours greened up the grass nicely.

90s for the next few days.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Rain yesterday. I picked strawberries for an hour while it was raining & didn't get wet. Less than a 1/10 inch in 2 hours isn't much rain.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

3 more tornadoes in Saskatchewan last night as well as a number of areas and communities flooded by intense rainfalls (including areas of Edmonton, Alberta).

We are normally an arid region but the last 3 years it seems like Mother Nature is bound and determined to put a tropical sea over this land again.

Weather Forecast: Moose Jaw, SK
Current Weather Thursday, July 19, 2012, 9:00 CST Moose Jaw Airport

77°F
A few clouds

Feels Like : 88
Wind : 0 km/h
Sunrise : 5:13
Sunset : 21:02

Humidity : 65%
Pressure : 1012.2 kPa
Visibility : 14.9 km
Ceiling : unlimited

expected later today
88°F
Feels like 106°F :'( (doesn't seem fair when we hit -50F this past winter....though our winter wasn't around for long).

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Did Canada put a cap on how much rain they can send down here?
We can use any amount.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOLOL (but not really as I do know drought very well).

I post here as well http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105266&start=2240 and Texans (for awhile) were begging me for our rain (and then they got a very rare July cold front from up here). Last I heard Houston was getting rains like us (they are very quiet now and not surprisingly I haven't had a recent request to send a low down there ).

Trust me Bernie I was trying to give it away (but it kept swirling around this province like a tornado....foreshadowing of what was to come I guess). The Texans said what was over Saskatchewan was controlling the weather of North America. :/ (we had the lowest pressure on earth for awhile).

Europe also blamed Canada for sending our winter there. I am often checking my GPS to see if we've changed locations.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2012 1:32 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well after the Thailand tsunami and earthquake everyone's time and location changed slightly,I guess everyone had to put the blame somewhere. It is cold in Canada,and the U.S. and Russia have learned how to use weather as a weapon also,(yeah right) lol.
And besides everybody is a sinister super power these days!!didn't you know that!!!! Yes, WelcomeTo; Paranoia Can Be Fun.?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Well most years Canada is cold (more than less) but last winter our winter went AWOL before December (and never returned). However unlike the Army we never went looking for it too hard. ;o) We knew we'd pay for that amazing winter though sooner or later.

For Saskatchewan it truly has been a very unusual year. Normally we are a very cold province in winter (as is parts of Alberta and Manitoba...most Canadians are terrified of our normally long lasting cold) and most of the cold that heads anywhere in N.A. comes through here first (we were predicted btw to have one of the coldest winters ever this past winter). The jet stream however decided to spend its time up with Santa at the North Pole so Europe got our winter instead.

And now we are thinking we live in the Caribbean given the never, prior to these last few years, exceedingly high dew points. That we usually only felt, for a short while in August, when our crops were ripening.

No paranoia here (I know the solar flares are playing a huge role in this) as well as the Jet Stream and maybe a little of mankinds' airborne pollutants and CO2.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2012 2:23 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

and again....
alerts
Severe thunderstorm watch for City of Moose Jaw
:blowup:

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

Issued at 1:20 PM CST Thursday 19 July 2012
Summary

Risk of severe thunderstorms this afternoon and this evening. This is an alert to the potential development of severe thunderstorms with large hail and damaging winds. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements. If threatening weather approaches take immediate safety precautions. If you would like to report severe weather, you can call 1-800-239-0484. Please note, this phone number is only for reporting severe weather.

Details

A cold front tracking southward across Southern Saskatchewan is expected to trigger thunderstorms this afternoon into this evening. Some of these thunderstorms have the potential to become severe giving large hail, damaging winds and torrential downpours. (just 5 more weeks to go and we should be done with this crap).

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

p.s. note the cold front tracking through my province *is* heading *southward*. Somebodies down in the States will also get rain from this (best get a canoe and paddles if it heads your way ;o) :S

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

wind 21mph temp 86degrees t'storm, Second time today for rainstorm ,yes, yes, yes!!!

No rain, just major heat that is tearing up vehicles. Currently 103F.

I have heard of about 5 vehicles this week that have had parts melt, couldn't start or almost broke down while on the road due to the heat. My dad was in KC today doing some work and coming home he almost broke down. The van I drive at work has acted up a few times when I've been on the road most of the day and my truck has its moments too.

So those of you dealing with this crazy heat please watch and listen to your cars and make sure nothing has gone bonkers in this heat. Better safe than sorry.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Somebodies South of here going to get rain :S from this (Texas I'm sure you will be getting it eventually)......
(however here I am dancing a jig and it is cool enough to do that......and there was only one tiny nasty cell that materialized from it in my province (Manitoba however has a problem).

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

14C is 57.2 F (we haven't seen that kind of overnight low for a looooooooooooooong time).

one cold front is heading South!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hot and humid. We got rain, again, so it did cool down some. It even got down to the mid 80's a day or so, then right back up to the mid 90's.

The back yard looks like a jungle with all of this rain. Plumerias, and rose of sharon are still in bloom

Jo is doing better. I am still recooperating. Still sorting and putting things away that we brought from Mom's. You can actually walk thru my living room at the moment! WOW!

Youngest granddaughter was here for several days and she was a big help. We put several things in the attic (I know, we cheated!), but I can go thru it later. Some things are for my baby sister and niece.

Hope everyone is well.

Jeanne

Mountain View, HI

I feel blessed not having any extreme weather to report.

This morning was a clear blue sky and now there are a few white clouds drifting in. We are in for four or five days of perfect weather, gentle breezes, very little rain. Current temp is about 68f and should climb to 80f here. Forecast high in Honolulu is 87f. Surf forecast shows that the Pacific Ocean around the island is flat with maybe some 1 - 3 ft waves. Wind is going to be light and variable. Perfect for the tourists.

I think its been 18 months since we had any really long summer weather spell. We had spells when the ground would dry out and the trails in the forest would be crispy dry leaves under foot but cannot remember when that last occurred.

Managed to get some garden clean up done yesterday even though its still wet underfoot. Hope to get our again today but have to wait for Sears to come and repair the washing machine and then have to go into town with recycle items and pick up a small dog that will be boarding with us for a week or so.

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cool mist and 74 this morning it was,a very cool 80degrees and overcast,it rained for more than an hour twice yesterday and it rained again this morning just before sunrise.Everything kinda like wet straw,and the humidity is icky. Plants are a "lovin" it though!Wind is at 0 currently,There is air circulating from temp. difference.

Well back to 100 for the morrow coming?we'll see.This may not sound exciting to some ,but i'm in a extreme drought zone,that rain is exciting to see!!!! Best stuff ever given the conditions!!!

Microb; you still have the best pic's ever great views!!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Back from the beach, so much to catch up on. While we were at the beach the inland got plenty of good thunderstorms most afternoons, some started as early as noon. So my garden looked wonderful when I got home ☺ We will be creeping back up to the low to mid 90's the next week again as a high moves over us. Was nice while it lasted.

Billy I love that elephant birdbath, adorable.

Kevcarr, I'm so jealous of you tomatoes...dang! I did find some nice juicy garden fresh at the farmer's market while on vacation, they said they were from Alabama.

microb love all your tropical flowers...your weather sounds quite nice right now.

Jeanne glad to see you around, and glad you are getting rain this year, and you also juhur7.

Adina, nice to see you are getting some veggies, and rain, and your weather sounds pretty good. I love those temps.

Pepper, that heat is just something...hope you cool down soon.

kwanjin, I'm going to remember in December when you say you wish it was warmer again ☺

CountryGardens, I sure hope those nice rows of crops get some good rain soon.

Lilypon, we get a lot of Canadians here in the winter months. One couple we see often in Jan. at one of our favorite camping spots told us we had colder temps at that time than they did in Canada. Go figure? That was two winter seasons ago.

I found some pretty wildflowers while at the beach...

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

We only reached the low 90s today but starting tomorrow we will be under an excessive heat warning until Weds at sundown. We will be over 100 degrees for our highs everyday until then. Weds our predicted high is around 108. Gonna be a scorcher!!!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm thinking they were from down East Sunkissed. They have been having lots of exceptionally warm winters (Montreal is one place I know that has been very blessed with well above normal winters). We've had many nicer ones here too but I doubt you've been colder than the prairie provinces.

Current Weather Forecast: Moose Jaw, SK
73 °F (I love cold fronts :o)

Feels Like : - zip zero nada

Predicted to get warm and humid again soon (heat and humidity is expected to cross the border :'( )

(Zone 7a)

Sunkissed, please, do! LOL I'll have reversed my statement by then and claim 'plausible deniability!'

Love all the pics. Everyone stay cool!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.