July Weather- one word, HOT!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New thread.
Stay indoors with air on.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

No change. lol. It's getting old saying that. Ugh.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

This evening was actually nice outside with a nice breeze & the temp. was in the mid-90's... Finally got some rain the last 2 days, more than the .06 for the month of June....

This message was edited Jul 2, 2012 9:38 PM

(Zone 7a)

No change here, either. Hot, dry, smoky...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Aye , same of same.hot, sunny.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Right Now: 89°/95°/75°
Sunshine and a few afternoon clouds. Hot. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph.

Thanks Bernie!

Pepper,
You really have my sympathy We aren't going to get any more rain either.

Hi Kevcarr!

Celia,
We had a pretty moon last night, but it was too dark to get a picture.
Sadly, that's a pretty cloud layer.

We were out early this morning watering. I rode the bike, and right off stopped to talk to a neighbor who is down visiting his parents. Then on to talk to a girl who's gotten plants from my free pile. I went to school with her in her town and she ended up living in my town running the old tavern. She took Master Gardener classes which suprised and delighted me :o) Then my broyther hollered out as I went past that Andy Griffith died. I came home and made dinner and coffee and am going out pretty soon to see how hot it is.

Mountain View, HI

Would be nice to have some consistency in the weather. Yesterday started off dry and we got to thinking that maybe summer had arrived. It was raining by noon and then we had a really heavy period of rain mid afternoon and then backed off to continuous light rain through the night. Streams are running again. I'm not even going to guess what the weather will be like today. All I know is its a day off and I want to get out into the garden. Also have to weed wack the grass along the roadside.
Photo hike postponed.

Hotter than yesterday and boy did we feel it!! The air conditioners were having a hard time keeping up at work and a bunch of us felt a bit sick today.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Not a bad day here at all. We've had morning, afternoon and evening thunderstorms and have received quite a bit of rain.
Looks like highs around 90° for the next few days.

Stay cool people!

Photo: I stepped out the door and into my backyard and found this a few mornings ago.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice now near 100 again for today ,index are getting to 108 to 112, that's much too much!! I don't deal well with the heat.
You all stay well and have a good Independence Day " Happy Birthday Uncle Sam"

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

early_bloomer; Didn't see that the first view, is that tree leaning on the gazebo? IF so "my goodness" Nice garden view!, but that morning wasn't your favorite, I would imagine. if so.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

77°/99°/75°
Plenty of sunshine. Hot. Heat index near 105F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.

Mike,
I hear you on wanting to get out. I see where all the rain is staying, LOL!

Pepper,
Take crackers to work. I get that nausous feeling too and usually have a cheese stick to put some substance in my stomach. Or I get into the hot pepper cheese and crackers.

Early,
God smiled in your back yard. That is so beautifully peaceful!

Hot today! I'm dressed, finishing my cup of coffee and will be out watering many many plants today that can't take another hot dry day :o(

Mountain View, HI

Variation is our only consistency. Today is beautiful. Sunny, warm. Actually had the lawnmower out in a light drizzle yesterday. Had to do something.

Maybe I can help cool things down with the thought of a Maui Punch (the name of this Canna)

And a cool ride across the prairie in a Conestoga Wagon (Just finished this over the weekend)

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

No the tree is about 20' behind the gazebo. :-)

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Fourth!

early_bloomer

Mountain View, HI

Early_bloomer - I also did not check out posted pics before my entry. That photo is amazing. What kind of tree is it? and the crosses?

Even hotter today. Heat index around 111. Will be even worse tomorrow and thru the weekend.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

billy- I had finished my coffee and was watering plants about an hour before--have to be at that early,man is it getting hot.

microb- your choice of tropicals must be endless,I'd be spinning in circles trying to decide what to have in the garden .how in all things to choose from all that beauty. gorgeous Canna!

early- The shadow of the tree made me think that I guess, that is one magnificent look for a serenity meditation.!!

pepper- I guess we get to play who gets hotter weather.WOW!!!

At 11;00 AM Heat index 110 temp. 96 degrees . that is the Timex thermometer in the garden. humidity is disgusting, heat rise breeze about 1or 2 mph. sunny enough to grill on metal. Great weather for all you solar chef's

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I'm back for a minute (when am I not) (LOL) Timex says temp is 105 degrees ...heat index 116 degrees at 4:20pm.

I'm not arguing or working in that outside either!!

Hot.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

microb.........The tree is a River Birch. the "crosses" are actually what I put up for the clothes-lines.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Mountain View, HI

Early_bloomer - I remember from my childhood in England watching mum go out into the garden with a basket full of washing to hang it outside and each end of the line were "T" shaped posts. Thought thats what it might be but never seen the top vertical before. Gives the photo and interesting appeal. Don't get River Birches here in Hawaii.

I cannot believe how you folks survive in those temperatures.

Today has been wet again. Not so bad down on the coast in Hilo but up here in the tropical rain forest its almost continuous rain - oh but of course that's why they call it rain forest. - but no beach, no swaying palm trees and no surf and sand where we are.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

75°/102°/74°
Plentiful sunshine. Very hot. Heat index near 110F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

Mike,
What a beautiful canna!
Wow, you crafted that? Beautiful doll collection too!

Pepper,
By Sunday we should just be 89°. I can't wait!

Ju,
I've taken to shutting the computer off and doing anything important before the sun gets too far up. Right now is the best time of the day.

Early,
Huge smile over the ''crosses." I never looked at my clothesline like that.
What a perfect rendition of the heat! Awesome picture!!

My clothesline with heads and arms . The tin is to keep cats from the birdhouses and the top of the electric pole. That was put up after a dog chased my litle kitten to the top once. Thankfully he came down ok, but he sure was little at the time.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was watering plants that past hour or so, still am while getting ready for other things to do and get done. THE forecast is for 102 today about the same tomorrow, and it has been getting hotter than that. My little thermometer is only a degree or two different from the forecast so it is fairly accurate.
We are having the driest July since 1934,did someone say near "Dust Bowl" Only9/100 dreths where it has rained.

I was walking around wondering if Greenland, the Artic or Antartic has any space open for rent or campers.

I feel like i have been sentenced to Crematoria or something..IT IS 80'S THIS MORNING ,NO WIND and the Sun is gonna shine all day ,once again.Everywhere you are everything is crispy and crunchy, not having that good of a time ,as I would imagine is as of the many.Weather turned out to be a real pooper this year.!

Microb; I was wondering what if any of hummingbirds and parrots are there in your rain forest.?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hot and humid, but is supposed to be cooler this week with some chance of rain. We sure could use it.

Plumerias are in bloom!

(Zone 7a)

Pictures!!!

Hot. Current temp is 100. It was 102 just 5 minutes ago. I didn't catch the news today so don't know what the high was but it was hot. Too hot.

Mountain View, HI

Juhur7 - Very little wildlife in Hawaii (except parties on the beach) No parrots unless they are escapees. No hummingbirds, Only wild animals are wild pigs, some wild goats, mongoose, rats.. No squirrels, monkeys, racoons, no snakes, no poisonous spiders. We do have large black carpenter bees and unfortunately yellow jackets. Fire ants are getting estabished. Some cane toads and bullfrogs. Now the Peurto Rican Cocqi frog has invaded. Loud chirrping sound at night has reduced real estate values in some places. Came in with imported bromeliads. We spend a lot of money keeping the brown tree snake out that is rampant on Guam. They stow away sometimes on military flights. We have some small native birds plus doves, sparrows, mynah birds (not Indian), cardinals, a few finches
The hawaiian native species fanatics fear that anything that comes in from off island will devastate the native birds, insects and plants. They have a good point but the biggest invasive species problem here is humankind.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you microb; I find tropical places interesting,it's shameful like so many other places that invasive species (including us humans) do what we do sometimes.We are learning though, maybe someday we will have it worked out right.It just seemed like Hawaii would have a real nice climate for a few of the creatures and critters.I was around when the last the little red and yellow birds that the(a few centuries ago)- natives made the ceremonial dress from became listed as extinct.Maybe one of these days genetics will help with the difficulties of some of the problems of preservation and the like.

103 Yesterday, 105 forecast for today my temp readings were 102-hi106 yesterday .seemed even hotter though...some of the family driving through the next town over went past a thermometer that said 117
how's that for a town heat index.!! no rain, no wind.

The forecast is saying 90 for tomorrow.I will believe it when I see it(like that is suppose to be cool or something?)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

99°/70°
Sunny to partly cloudy. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of Precip: 10%

Mike,
Sadly, we find invasives are not a good thing and I hope Hawaii can stay untouched as much as possible.

It's too hot to even let the kids out altho we did walk to a yard sale this morning. The youngest got a couple pair of pants and shorts. The oldest asked for a huge panda bear the youngest spotted first. They are sort of sharing it.......

I watered early and filled birdbaths. Dad brought us sweet corn!!

Mountain View, HI

Started off wet and rainy today but the sun is breaking through so might be nice this afternoon. Mixed unsettled weather in the future forecast. Weather experts are having fun with the hurricane tracking across from the East Pacific.. At last they have something to focus on. It may get to the islands by the end of next week in the form of higher humidity and heavier showers for a day or it may just die out in mid ocean, which what we expect and hope for.

Billyporter - The model was from a kit. As long as you can follow instructions with some level of intelligence they are not that difficult. I don't have the skill to scratch build anything. The dolls are my wife's passion. Can't seem to find a forum for model builders and dolls house and doll collectors. Not too many people seem to follow our interests. I'm also a stamp collector, we do jigsaw puzzles with a passion and I do latchhook rugs while my wife does cross stitch and crewel - and yes I still find time for lots of gardening.
As far as invasive species are concerned the term seems to have varying definitions depending on who you talk too. Some folks are purely supportive of native Hawaiian plants. Anything that arrive by canoe hundreds of year ago could be invasive or non native.. Other folks will let any plants come to the islands as long as it does not spread quickly and choke out other plants. Australian tree ferns were considered invasive and yet you could buy them at Walmart. Go figure.

Hot and dry still. Rain in area but drying up before getting here. Go figure.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Been awhile since I've posted, boy some really hot days this summer. Pretty much the same thing here everyday mostly sunny, low mid 70's/high mid 90's. Always a chance of afternoon thunderstorms. Haven't had much rain the past week though, but it gets cloudy and breezy enough to cool it off to sit outside for a bit.

Mike interesting that you have no snakes in Hawaii. Lots of them in Florida. We also have lots of invasive Humans too.

Early bloomer, love that photo of the gazebo and sun rays.

Texasgal, my parent's Plumeria is beautiful right now also...counted over thirty blooms on it, wished I had my camera, my old cell phone didn't take a good photo at all.

A Carolina Wren made a nest in an empty hanging planter on our front porch, it has been fun watching them out our window. Now the babies are out of the nest and we find them hopping together around the garden. They are so cute. Ma-ma and Pa-pa will scold us if we get too close.

Well hopefully it cools down next week for everyone...I can't imagine over 100 degrees! And wishing you all some rain showers too.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Back to normal summertime temps.
62º overnight, looking for high of 80º today. Low humidity.

Can you imagine sitting by a Minnesota lake today. Sunny, light breeze, favorite beverage.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

CG; Ahh! SIGH), fishing, canoeing !

I was in the garden this morning didn't get much done though. 90'S for today,really nice wind this morning,,felt super nice. ""Best thing about the weather is it changes,only one bad thing about that is it is rarely the way you would want it too!!""

lately any change would do and has finally arrived

Cooler with sprinkles up north and just clouds here. Temps in the 80s. Humidity did go up but with the breeze was tolerable.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Low to mid 90's here where I am the past week or two. It IS summer after all! As I get older I can't take the heat but at least I don't have to shovel it!

(Zone 7a)

Pepper, I'll take cooler with some sprinkles, please. ^_^

95º today and sunny.

DH and DGD

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

90 for today and the next week or so, no rain, light winds,sunny . thought the drought was over, thought wrong!!
Has rained twice here since May.
Blanket Flower is happy though!! And I still get fresh tomatoes!!!

Thumbnail by juhur7

My weather is about the same as yours so far.

My tomatoes and peppers aren't doing anything. I put them in 5 gallon buckets and have never had problems before. This year I can't get them to do anything. Grrr.... I'm still holding out hope though.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

RAIN..BABY..RAIN... Our first rain since the middle of May... All of June .06 for the month... Maybe, just maybe, I won't lose the okra, that's just beginning to throw some blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.