How are the mosquitoes this year?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 126 votes:

Horrible...they see to be everywhere.
(38 votes, 30%)
Red dot

One of the only good results of being in drought conditions is fewer mosquitoes!
(21 votes, 16%)
Red dot

I use citronella candles and lamps and most of them stay away.
(5 votes, 3%)
Red dot

They're not bad this year at my house.
(45 votes, 35%)
Red dot

I use something other than citronella to deter mosquitoes.
(5 votes, 3%)
Red dot

We do not have mosquitoes at my house!
(12 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I have only seen the occasional mosquito so far. We tend to get them later in the summer when it gets hotter. I don't personally react very strongly to them, so consider them a mild annoyance.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

we rarely get more than a few at night and that is usually in july. haven't seen or heard any this year. living on a lake in florida....go figure.

Concord, CA(Zone 9b)

We don't usually get many here in the Quingdom, but when I hear the beastly bzzzzzing, I reach for my itty-bitty bottle of citronella oil. One bottle lasts for about 2 decades.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We'll get the larva in standing water in no time flat if I forget the mosquito dunks but I rarely encounter the adults. I am not out in the evening, either.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Almost never get mosquitoes in inland southern California unless I forget to empty the trash can I use to collect rain water over the winter

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Normally we would be drowning in them but we are in a drought this year and they aren't quite as bad. I just have to watch when I go out so they don't get me. They love me!!!

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Well unfortunately, south Georgia is bug hell! I have never seen the amount or the variety of bugs in my life. Mosquitoes are out all day and night, deer flies that will eat you up, and chase you down the road, and then the sand gnats, that you don't ever even see, and they love to get in your hair, ears, eyes, and nose. Yuck! Heat won't keep me out of the yard, but the bugs sure will.

(Zone 7a)

Draught!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We always have them in Texas; some years worse than others. Not as bad as they have been this year because we have made steps to improve our odds, and drought helped. We put cedar mulch under the deck, dunks in the ponds, and bought a narrow mesh bug zapper (didn't want to kill the moths). I do see a marked improvement; but if I stay in one place too long they will find me!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

They are horrible this year! Tropical Storm Beryl didn't help either… Last year there were several people diagnosed with the West Nile Virus right here in my area! A couple of them died. I'm doing all I can to keep them at bay…I'm quite sure that I'll be keeping the "Off" Company in business this year! Maybe I should buy stock in the company! :-)))

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Since I gave up sugar and all other sweeteners I've not been bothered by mosquitoes.

Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

It's odd as I live on natural wetlands (swamp) and we've never had a problem with them yet my Mom lives a couple of blocks away and has tons. I'm guessing it might be the flocks of purple martins at dusk and loads of bats that keep them away? Been here over 6 years and have only seen mosquito control like twice.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 10:15 AM

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Don't really have them here in Ventura, but with the move next month back home to KY., I'll have them to spare. OH WELL!!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

It is horrible here. I used to get up and walk through the garden with coffee early in the morning with barely a bug. Now you can't even inhale safely. All kinds of bugs especially mosquitoes and dragonflies of all sizes. What is up with that! Our weather is about usual. Makes it all but impossible to go out early in the AM.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

not bad SO FAR, they'll be hatchin' Never fear,

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

The drought had us nearly bug free until recently... we have had rain twice in the past two months and the insects are returning with a vengence. Mosquitos are also reappearing but not horrible yet. I crumble bits of dunks in my water collection containers which work wonderfully... I wish others were as considerate! I am a mosquito magnet and have always been... it is a curse since a single bite can swell up to several inches and itch for days or even weeks.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I forgot to mention that I am not positive but twice this year we lit the solid cintronella candles and that night or the next day I was aching all over like the flu and felt feverish. No more of those anywhere near me. I can use the liquid without problem but the best defense has been the Deep Woods Off. I am with you tlm...need to invest in that company!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

We haven't had them too bad yet, but the season is really just getting started. Its funny we haven't had them worse as our new house has a basin to collect run off water and it stays pretty wet, so I'm wondering if we have some birds or bats helping out, I hope so.

Jan

Phutthamonthon, Thailand(Zone 10b)

We have them all year round 24 hours a day here, although this year they seem to be worse, I think it may be because of the extensive flooding last year. When I was in Europe say Spain or Greece I would react on my frst night's stay and then become immune, but here I react every time even after 6 years, never a day goes by without at least one bite and they can be very painful especially on your toes! Citronella works for a half hour or so and then they are back! I love my mosquito bats though they give me great pleasure! My partner says don't get bitten by the ones with striped bodies as they carry malaria! How?

P.S. freshly cut lemon grass is good until the scent fades, again about half an hour or so.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 9:08 PM

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

No mosquitoes in Las Vegas unless a home is abandoned and a swimming pool turns totally swamp like.

We forget how well we have it here until we go somewhere and try to sit out at night.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I opted for not so bad.

I use mosquito dunks in the rain barrels. I have been able to stay out well after the peepers start croaking with no bites or buzzing.

Amazing as the woods and the pond usually encourage the skeeters. We haven't even had chiggers this spring.

Life is good, no major drought this summer. Kristi

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

We are in the woods. Usually bad with mosquitos --but not so much this year TICKs are bad this year - real bad and seeing more of the lone star as compared to previous years.

I read in a local pharmacy column that some folks drink tonic water and after a week there is a huge reduction in the amount of bites they get. Most were skeptics to begin with but were pleasantly surprised. I am not much for spreading the skin so soft or any sprays if I can help it --so sticky and I think the sprays are not healthy. I do have to use the deep woods cutters for tick prevention --but don't want to use it for mosquitos.

Clearwater, KS(Zone 6b)

We have them. They love me. My neighbor jokes that I'm bait for them. I've just been avoiding early mornings and late nights outside. Also I have a citrosa scented geranium that Sits on the porch with me, so I just brush past it a few times, seems to help. Biggest thing is staying out of any shady, damp areas...

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I use the Deep Woods Off, and I hate it because it clogs the pores and makes you sweat like crazy! I cringe to think what chemicals are entering my pores....but, it's the only thing that keeps me alive when I'm out. I used to be the one in the crowd who sat back and watched everyone else getting eaten alive. Now, I'm the one getting eaten.

Bee,
You're right about diet. Science has proven that something in certain diets repels mosquitoes. I used to eat a lot of bananas, and I think that was one of the food repellents.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Xiajade,
Biggest thing is hunting down those breeding grounds and dumping any, and all, standing water! Or, drop some Dunks!

Hi! Gymgirl, I found a product from "Off" that is called Botanicals….A plant based repellent, lotion form, that is really good. It doesn't stink the way most repellents do, and it soaks in so you don't have that sticky feel. :-)

edited to correct spelling!

This message was edited Jun 20, 2012 9:36 AM

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

it is not so bad here in colima (or at least where i live) and the rainy season started about a week ago. i keep thinking where are all the mosquitoes? every year at the beginning or just before the rainy season starts, the swallows show up in my yard for mosquito eating and lots of swooping back and forth in the early evening. it is lovely when they arrive and i am thinking they must have done an especially good job this year...so far. i am also careful about cleaning up standing water so i suppose that helps as well.

Largo, FL

I live in fl., lots of mosquitoes any help flbob

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

flbob...invite some swallows to your house and garden. a search of the web will provide information regarding how to build a house for swallows or where you can buy already built houses for swallows and other things you can do to entice them to your house and garden. swallows will fly in the mornings and evenings for the sole purpose of eating as many mosquitoes as they can.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Has anyone usse that new repellanat. The one you clip of you belt or waist and it forms a barrier around you. The ad on TV sounds so good, but I wonder if it really works. Guess when I get to KY I'll get one and give it a try.

Clearwater, KS(Zone 6b)

No standing water, just a lot of trees around. I dread mowing on the south side. They seem to hide out there.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I have used it. I noticed no difference. Costco sells

the only thing that works is Deep Woods by Cutter (for me)
I have not tried the tonic water.

I used the OFF clip on and attached it to the 'v' of my shirt ---I got a bite on my nieck! Ha! can't get any closer than that.

Marti001 ~ I have a customer that swears by those mosquito barriers. Think he said his came from Wmart or Academy. It was being marketed to the outdoorsman at first.

Odd, I just read a MEN newsletter with directions for building a mosquito trap. Page 2 & 3 of this article http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/natural-mosquito-repellents-zm0z12jjzhun.aspx

I won't use deep woods off on skin ~ only on shirt or pants.
I always wonder why folks want their garden or edibles to be organic yet are willing to spray those chemicals on their body. Not me!!! Kristi

Great article! Thanks for the link!

Henderson, KY

They aren't bad. I am having a harder time with chiggers.

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

We have had an unusually hot spring - 93* today. We have had periods of 15 days with no rain. No mosquitoes!

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Put some listerine in a spray bottle.. you can dilute it a little with water if needed but not too much... it will stain wood or other things so be careful of what you spray it on... It works to repel mosquitoes! I use the mint and have literally watched them hover over my arm where I have sprayed. I kept a bottle around my patio and one in my garage where they loved to hide. I need to refill it. I had forgotten about it... l used it last year and never got bitten.

I'd heard of using Listerine diluted before. That is worth trying... thanks.

Sapphire, NC

The mosquitoes aren't bothering me but oh my GOODNESS the no-see-ums are EATING me up, Day and NIGHT!!! I think I'm gonna try the Listerine and see if that helps. I've heard of that before but never got around to trying it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.