What's cooking, MAG?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heehee, mine isn't restaurant quality either, but we like it just the same. Time consuming though with all the chopping of veggies. I also do it in batches. Things that cook at the same rate, then the next items. Do the meat last then add everything back into the pan to meld the flavors. Sometimes it's just veggies!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

On a gas or propane stove I do great stir fries but not on electric stoves! In the chinese restaurant I worked at, the chefs used woks and some of the veggies like broccoli, green beans etc would be placed in a large pot of boiling water for a short amount of time (blanching???) so the entire dish would finish at same time. Helped retain the green color and crispness, too. Many of the veggies used in stir frys can and are eaten raw so the trick is to as quickly as possible heat them thru and then serve.

If you get one of those veggie platters from say Sams Club, most of the contents are stir fry ready and save lots of prep time..or judicious salad bar contents. Haven't been to Trader Joes in a while but they used to have some excellent frozen stir fry combos. Sometimes when I have a taste for chinese food, I will get some "Oriental String Beans" from the prepared food dept at local grocery and throw them into a big salad.

Slicing an onion, garlic, and mushrooms is about all the prep work I do these days and I can go either way for stirfry or salad. Lots less cleanup for salad!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

The key to making good stir fries is high heat and short cooking time. Otherwise, liquid comes out and stir fries become stews :-). Stir fry dishes are normally small in size for that reason. At Chinese restaurants, if 5 customers order the same dish at the same time, the dishes are probably cooked in 3 – 4 batches if not individually.

If you have an electric cook top, use a flat pan instead of a wok so that the pan gets maximum heat contact. Chinese woks are best if the stove is gas or coal as in the old days so that flames come up to provide more heat contact.

If you cook vegetables that require different cooking time, cook them separately and then combine them. For example, I would never cook spinach and chunks of carrots together in a stir fry.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That's exactly what I do, donnerville. ;) It takes longer cuz of that, but then it's still kind of the texture that I want. We really like it. I have found I like the process.

Pizza tonight. Too hot! Maybe or a salad.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the tips, donner!

Chili. 15 yr old got a cooking lesson helping get it started. (I really could have done much more with getting the kids to cook at a younger age....)

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

My first cooking experience was boiling noodles at the age of 10. I don't remember exactly what made me decide to surprise my grandmother with a cooked meal. To my credit, I didn't just drop noodles in water. I tried to estimate how much my grandmother could eat and how much should be for me. The only problem was that I didn't know noodles would expand when cooked ;-).

tee hee! But I bet she was very pleased!
Mom never suggested we cook together, that I remember, but I did my fair share of watching her- and watching Dad fix cars and make things.
tomorrow, salmon cakes, mac and cheese

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Salmon cakes? How do you make them?

A can of pink salmon, and often I buy either Zatarains or Old Bay Salmon cake 'mix .' (seasoned breadcrumbs in a box or packet)
Mix the seasoning as directed (Old Bay, packet plus mayo; Zatarains, I use a half a box per can of salmon because that one seems a bit strong and bready) Then make patties and cook in skillet. Its a cheap meal this way. Mom used to mix salmon, egg, crumbs, maybe finely chopped onion - I saw that recipe on a can of salmon some years ago.. recipe also added some green pepper and lemon juice.
Canned salmon is wild caught. I think it's the tails of the nice steaks.
Red canned salmon would still make a cheap meal this way.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally, your salmon cakes sound delicious!!! I will definitely try it. It will make a great summer meal with a salad. Will they not fall apart if you do not use egg?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

About to make some turkey meatballs before it gets too hot. Some to freeze some for today.

donnerSally, they seem to stick pretty well. You can add an egg of course. I usually do not, so I can lick my fingers when done making patties
8 ^)

Saw lots of links for Turkey meatballs with spaghetti. Is that how you serve them Jan?

Something I have meant to do- shredded green or yellow squash as sort of a pancake- egg and bit of flour.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I can't make ground turkey into something we normally have...ie meatballs in sauce has to be beef(or I usually use bison) if I do turkey has to be a meal that is totally different then what the normal is...do you know what I mean?

YES.
Its a mild but distinctive flavorand I just think I would notice it in spag sauce,

Hot Spiced Turkey Meatballs
(They're not really hot unless you want them to be. I never use the horseradish)

1 lb ground turkey
1/2 c bread crumbs
2 TB finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp horseradish
1 egg
3 drops hot sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
2 TB oil for browning

Sauce:
I c catsup
3/4 c water
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c vinegar
1 TB minced onion
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
3 drops hot sauce

Make meatballs, brown in oil, stir up sauce, simmer, serve on rice. Kids have always liked it

Side with coleslaw maybe, any fresh veggies, salad...whatever green you think they will eat LOL

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

No matter how much I try to hide it hubby ALWAYS asks "what did you do?"

Last night in browsing I read Turkey and stuffing meatballs recipe. Use stuffing mix as the bread crumbs.
But what else would you serve with them? Make mashed potatos, jarred gravy, cranberry, I guess? THat would be a way to have turkey for dinner without the oven.

By the way- I am still challenged with chicken pieces that are sometimes tough. What is the secret? Never to boil or to overbake? What makes the difference between fall of the bone and dry tough white meat?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Never overcook chicken that will guarantee dry meat, depends on what your doing, a whole roast to keep moist use a oven bag, for moist chicken breast I usually just use them when doing sautees and something with lots of sauce or liquid to cook it in

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yep, gonna have it with pasta tonight. I like the sound of your spicy ones. Will have to try that sometime. I added some parm cheese to them. After I was all finished I realized I forgot the salt and pepper. Oh, well.

Heehee, Jen. I knew that was why you had to hide it.

Good tip, Jen. I usually cut it into small pieces and sauté. Then continue with whatever I am making. Will try using an oven bag.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

We always just roast whole chickens -- sometimes on the grill -- and then eat them for a few days -- sometimes in a chef's salad---

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

ugh....I'm starved....I KNEW eating at 4:30 pm would not work for a family accustomed to 7-8pm....going to make popcorn - should just go to sleep...LOL

Ugh Chantell I hate that too. Working 5-9 means not eating dinner at dinner time, but too early and or too late.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We had the Aunts lunch today. I try to have all Holly's Aunts and mom for lunch about 1st a year, usually when her aunt from California is in to visit. Over time as all the uncles retired they came also, it's become lunch for 12, LOL. I often cook for the summer reunion and sometimes for the Christmas party so new things can be a challenge. When Holly came home from her cruise she raved about the cold soups, so I tried one of those:
Cantaloupe with fresh orange and lime juice, garnished with Vietnamese cinnamon and chocolate mint. I found you have to re-blend just before serving for the silkiest consistency.
Aunt Rachel brought a berry and walnut salad that was wonderful. Much like RRR's. (I used sesame and ginger vinaigrette).
I also had Cuban pulled pork sandwiches, the pork marinated overnight in lime and grapefruit juice, garlic, cumin, oregano and fresh cracked pepper. Then slow cooked for 6 hours on a bed of vadellia onions. Served with fresh Kaiser rolls from the bakery.
Potato salads rounded out the main course, one was my usual mustard, vinegar,and mayo dressing the other was Roseborg and Roka blue cheese with walnuts and finely diced apple.
Dessert was a scoop of almond, coconut, fudge ice cream.
My FIL and uncles paid me the highest compliment yet! They said that I managed to get 5 Shindler women in the same room at once and it was quiet, because they were so busy eating. ROTFL Ric

Geez, Ric, it all sounds wonderful! And that was a funny comment from the boys!

Almost feel silly posting my simple ideas. Tonight was fried catfish. Fillets, sprinkled lightly but all over with McCormick Cajun seasoning then floured both sides, fried in skillet. I was pleased and they ate it all. ( Let's not discuss the sides- canned green beans, boxed scalloped potatos, leftover other vegs...)

Made big honking pork shoulder in the slow cooker last night- with sweet potato fries and coleslaw.

Zatarains beans and rice boxed mix, and a smoked sausage to cut up in it, easy to have on hand for a quick skillet dinner.

It almost that wonderful season when you can add a sliced tomato or some local (if not home) fresh veg or fruit to almost every meal! yum

I see the fish called SWAI in the store and all I can think of is that someone said it can live in sewage......I will never be able to eat swai.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, you can WOW me anytime with slow cooked pork, sweet potato fries and coleslaw. I enjoy the challenge once in a while. Most of my meals are fairly simple fare. Josh has always been a good host and he says Cortney has upped his class and I can say the same about my cooking. LOL Ric

Here's one bit about Swai and it doesn't sound too bad. Just another catfish.
It belongs to the Pangasius group (?? getting out of my element on fish classification) I can say I had panga on vacation and it was delicious.
Still, if I'm going to eat catfish I'd rather it be American.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric---

Try this soup. It is to die for! I almost did the first time I made it....YUMMMM....
Easy--Peazy! Delicious!!!

CREAM OF TOMATO--DILL SOUP WITH SHRIMP
(Baltimore Sun—“Recipe Finder”—May 5, 2010)

***This recipe comes from Oprah.com and was adapted from a recipe from Art Smith’s
“Kitchen Life”Cookbook. A simple substitution of fresh Dill (for the Marjoram)
was made.from the recipe the author found.
The finished Soup had balanced flavor and a rich, creamy consistency.
It was as pretty to look at, as it was tasty.
Makes 4-6 servings.

Ingredients:

¾ lb. medium shrimp (25-31 count) unshelled. (I have used Old Bay
steamed shrimp as part of this…maybe half--just for the flavor in the broth).
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth—or Home-made. (I make my own….)
5 Tbs. Unsalted Butter—divided use. More never hurts!
1 Medium rib Celery—finely chopped.
½ cup Shallots, chopped (Sweet Onion, like Vidalia, can be substituted)
1-2 cloves garlic—minced (I like a couple more…)
½ cup all-purpose flour for thickening
1 can (28 oz.) Diced Tomatoes with juice
2 cups ½ and ½.
2 Tbs. Fresh Dill, chopped. Dried dill will do--just half the amount.
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

***NOTE; I find salt NOT necessary in this dish. Tomatoes have plenty of it.
So does “Old Bay”—if you use steamed Shrimp shells as part of the required
Shrimp amount. I love the flavor a lot better when I do that…..

To Do----

--Peel and de-vain Shrimp, reserving the shells.
--Combine the shells and the Chicken Broth in a saucepan and bring to a
simmer over medium heat.
--Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
--Strain the Shells-- reserving the broth –You should have about 2 cups.
Add water, or more broth, if needed to make up the quantity.

*****Pre-cooked broth from shells can be made ahead of time and frozen
in Zip-bags. Makes for less work when you want to serve this…

I may have had this Panga actually
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panga
Hard to tell when cleaned, fried and topped with sauteed onion and pepper medley- (yum!!!)

Good resource
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org//cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?gid=89

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, That sound good, I may try that one. Ric

Ric- how would you season or rub a pork shoulder to slow cook? My DS had found a recipe for ''burger seasoning'' that was awesome, but he has no idea where. I believe it had paprika and garlic powder. I bought a small jar of McCormick 'rub' but wonder if you have a recipe.
I don't like dumping bottled BBQ sauce all over it afterward cuz that gets so sweet.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric---

The first time you make it--do it by the recipe.
Never mind MY side-notes. Then you can "play" with it like I did.

To me this soup comes close to a Shrimp Bisque.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, 'Depends what I'm slow cooking for, my new years roast I use a rub I make from cumin, coriander, caraway, and celery seed. I score the roast and rub it. After letting it rest, I braise it using v.hot oil to seal it, and into the roaster it goes fat side up, with any leftover rub added.
For other uses I often just braise using flour, pepper, and a little salt and put in the crock pot. Most are cooked on low for as much as 8-9 hours or at high for 5-6.
If I'm marinating for like Cuban, I poke it well and leave it in the fridge overnight in a sealed bag, turning when I remember. LOL I haven't tried using an oven bag to do this, because I never remember to pick one up. I use the same times on these.

Gita, I was thinking this sounded bisque-like. Ric

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I used this rub for pork butt/shoulder in slow cooker, then after pulling add in favorite bbq sauce and put back in slow cooker and keep on warm
• 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 2 teaspoons black pepper
• 1 teaspoon cayenne
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt

Got it Jen, Yum, Thanks!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric--

Here is another keeper......

"Special Potato Soup"-- from someone on DG.

2-3 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped (I like onion--so I used two!)
2 tablespoons butter, melted (I used bacon drippings)
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used 8)
2 carrots, sliced (or more--depends on size)
3 cups water (I used low-salt, fat free Chicken Broth/stock)
5 chicken flavored bouillon cubes ( I did not use--see above!)
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt (did not use!)
1/2 teaspooon dried whole thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed (I have fresh in my garden. Also added Onion Powder)
dash of garlic powder
dash of pepper
2 cups milk (I used 2 cups 1/2 and 1/2 and made the rest up with milk--OR
You can also use 1 can Evaporated milk + water)
1 cup (4 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

TO DO:
Saute celery and onion in butter in a large Dutch oven until tender.
Add next 9 ingredients; cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Remove from heat and mash vegetables with potato masher or put through blender or food processor.
Add milk and cheese. Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 cups.

(comments from me after I made the second batch)

I have made it twice now...using my cast iron Dutch oven.

Of course--I tweaked a few things here and there--like, I browned some diced bacon and used that fat instead of butter to brown the onions and celery in. Put the bacon bits back into the soup at the end and also some diced, smoked ham. (Seems they just "belonged!")
I also added a few other spices...Onion Powder--a bit of Caraway seed and fresh Rosemary from my garden.
Bought some low-salt, fat-free, home-style Chicken Broth. Added no extra salt to the soup--lots of pepper.
I did not use a processor--just my masher and gently mashed everything in the pot with that. The soup was a bit chunky--but SOOO good!

The second time I used half-and-half.
The first time I did not have it--so used some Evaporated milk+ water. Second batch was much better.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

so what is on everyones grill or table today for the 4th ? Is there a 'pie' you like? One that requires little baking? Any way, enjoy your day!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I LOVE pie( I have a lemon ice box pie recipe that is to die for!) I'll have to search out the recipe

Going to our friends' house so I have no idea what they are having(she's a wonderful cook so I have no worries it will be great) we're bringing a fruit salad and watermelon

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Pesto time (huge thanks to Jill for both plants and directions)!!!

Thumbnail by Chantell Thumbnail by Chantell Thumbnail by Chantell Thumbnail by Chantell

Beautiful! I forgot to get any basil planted early, The seeds in the garden never came up, too hot and dry by that time.
~~~
Crab cakes, potato salad, green beans, watermelon

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Nothing cooking here but people. Leftovers tonight, preferably cold. Ric

cooking people= Soylent Green?
Mark was brave enough to grill burgers for us, tossed salad went along with, no cooking.

I have both a whole chicken and a turkey breast in the freezer but do not want to use the oven and roast. Enough roasting as is like you said Ric! Don't know what we'll have tomorrow in the over a hundred...maybe a pasta salad?

Quiche takes the oven but otherwise its kind of light. And it can be baked early and served sorta cooled.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.