Pleioblastus fortunei...3 to 4 Ft. Really ?

( Pam ) Portland, OR

I was wandering around the nursery, minding my own business and looking at clematises. Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw a cute, tiny little bamboo, in a small pot, sitting in a bird bath, apparently having an emergency drink of water. by the size of things, I'm sure this was a common emergency drink, since it really needs it's freedom from the small pot. The plant appears quite healthy, and as of yet, has not suffered any damage from it's current circumstances.

It followed me home.

It is tagged correctly..I think. The tag is very clever, with a special notch in the pot that matches the tag, and prevents customers from removing it and putting it back elsewhere.

This claims to grow to 3 to 4 feet. ?????
Look at the photo I snapped this morning.
I did look at the example at BambooGardens, but somehow this all seems off somehow.

Anybody have experience ?

I don't look at bamboos anymore for lack of bamboo space, and my will to resist is weak. so for the good of all of us, it's better to not locate the bamboo section in nursery's. LOL I know I can cut it down each spring and it will shoot up, but I would rather know for sure if this plant really will get that big.

Edit to add link:
http://www.bamboogarden.com/Pleioblastus%20fortunei.html

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 3:39 PM

Thumbnail by citybusgardener Thumbnail by citybusgardener
Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, I guess I'm somewhat of a bamboo "expert", having grown (or tried) at least a dozen different varieties in the woods behind my house.....

While I do not have experience with P. fortunei SPECIFICALLY, I have found that the maximum heights listed most places are more or less ballpark figures. Depending on growing conditions and the bamboo's age, it could be significantly shorter or taller than it's listed height. Perfect example: I have some Phyllostachys aureosulcata, which is listed as having a height of 15-20 ft. My grove averages about 18-25 ft, while other groves I've seen in the area range from somewhere around 12 ft (really dry areas) to 25 ft. In Annapolis, across from my aunt and uncle's house is a grove that averages about 35', but it is growing in sandy soil in a fairly mild location.

Finally, most bamboos don't hit their maximum height until at LEAST 5 years after they've been planted. I hope that helped out a bit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.