Morning Glories 2012 # 03

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

My MG seedlings are taking their sweet time growing. Any suggestions to get them going? Summer is coming on sooo slow here. Our weather is just not hot enough to inspire growth. Great weather for weeding though and my garden will be nice and clean for barbeque time of year.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Helena. Mine are just getting ready to start

Dee you're in No Ca? I think you said it, a little too cool for prolific
growth. Will it hit the 80's there this summer?

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I'm on the central coast of California, halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. The weather usually heats up here in June, but it is unseasonably cool this year. I wish they'd get to growing as I have been fighting the bunnies and the bugs to keep the little two leaf seedlings alive. I was losing a few every night but now the bunnies can no longer get at them and they have a deterent bug spray on them. I am happy I have a few perennial types as I think they will do well here and may even stay green through most of winter. I will definately get an earlier start next year, just hoping to get a few flowers and seeds to save. It really has been an odd weather year. I spent most of the morning cleaning up my foxgloves which for some weird reason bloomed early and just kind of died back. There is new growth coming up from underneath and the newer seedlings are fine, but how weird, I think they may rebloom late this Summer.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I'm glad you'll be getting more blooms soon.

Dee, I use bloom booster to get them going and for more blooms. I may have mine get too dry before watering them.

Had one nice big bloom today from this purple-plum, 1 plain & 1 fancy bloom.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Love that purple with white edges! Does the bloom booster work better than miracle grow?

Very pretty Helena. I really like the 3rd bloom, the shape and the way you captured it.

Mine are growing by leaps and bounds cause its hitting 90-96 here everyday. Mine are in the shade mostly to keep them from getting burned.

Linda threre are lots of diff fertilizers. Even Miracle Grow makes a SuperBloom.
a balanced fert is 20-20-20, 15-30-15 encourages blooms without being too strong.
a 24-8-16 is great for Hibiscus they don;t like high middle #
Miracle Grow is just a brand name. Sometimes the brand names aren't any better than say the Peters which is my favorite. They,Peters, had trace elements(minerals) in theirs and at one time, Miracle Grow did not list any in their formula.
What I wonder is might it be too cool where Dees at for the fert to be effective and not burn the vines since they already resent the cooler temps?

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have a good time release fertilizer I get from a greenhouse supplier locally. A lady who runs a wholesale nursery for landscape contractors told me about it. I could crawl around and put a little bit around each seedling, maybe if I'm feeling particularly limber I'll do that, LOL. It was 68 today, a far cry from 80. July is usually miserably hot. . . miserably hot for a California girl is 80. I hope I can grow morning glories here.

Dee 68 is cool for mg's to show rapid growth. Hopefully it will hit 80 soon and they will take off. If they
don't, you can try inside growing next. It might not be so much the 68 during the day as it is the 55 or so at night that has them stymied.

Gautier, MS

A new one with George Strait label, I don't know if it's right or not, then my repeat ones.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all your advice. I'll post pictures when they finally do something. I still have hope they will all of a sudden start growing, my datura are kind of doing the same thing and one of them tripled in size this past week.

Gorgeous Helena, Love the George Strait. I've got 2 coming along

Keep us posted Dee

Cocoa Choc I think from 2010

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Had to move my mg's into more protected areas in case the storm came our way. More repeats but I think quite nice.

(Edit) Thanks Jackie, I didn't know what to expect from GS. (sp?)

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 12:53 PM

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 12:56 PM

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Beautiful blooms this morning Helena.
Your cross is a beauty and my favorite this season, DFNM x Keiryw

Another Hatsu Arashi open this morning

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. I like your blue Hatsu Arashi.

Last picture is a dahlia, love growing that one, reminds me of the ones my mom use to grow.

Pretty Dahlia Helena. Crazy about your Pink cross, love the soft, delicate color.

To the new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268060

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 3:26 PM

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

uhm... LOL wow is all I can say .. your blooms are blowing me away, all i have going that are blooming are the i purps and the pearly gates and the darkest black purp i have seen in a long time.. here is looking at august to be my time to enjoy blooms here..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.