Morning Glories 2012 # 03

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1258530

My favorite MG ever Pres Bush

Thumbnail by patootie
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Hello everyone! Jackie ask me to come and check out all the pretty blooms and hopefully learn about them as I grow them.

here are a few of my morning glories that have bloomed for me this year.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55

I don't know all the names, but I do know they are so pretty, and wait patiently for the next morning to see whats new!

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55

Lovely Morning glories Linda. How nice to see the Pinks, very pretty.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Gautier, MS

Linda, your blooms are gorgeous! Nice to see.

We have a bit of sunshine today. The last pic is my trumpet lily, always wanted to grow them.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Beautiful morning glories, and that lily is so pretty. They won't grow for me here in Texas. I have several planted, but all I have are the green leaves!

Great blooms Helena. Love the lily too. I
don't have any trumpet or orienpet ? lilies/lily's planted but look at my Pink Crinum lily
A shame the grass is taking over

Thumbnail by patootie

That is so pretty, love that pink!

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda and Jackie. I think the trick was in buying mature lily bulbs to get them to bloom. After my yellow one bloomed I found a big grasshopper munching on it. Something is munching on my four o'clocks too, I was able to move those and save them from whatever was after it.

Pretty nice pink Crinum lily Jackie. It's nice to have so many blooms.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

beautiful blooms, linda, jackie and helena. Love those crimiums, mine have yet to bloom.

Thanks Linda, Helena and Debra. The nicest thing about the Ctinum is not only is it pretty but its got the great fragrance.
Helena, my stand is getting larger every yr but I need to do something about the grass. Maybe dig it all up in the fall and replant them using the green weed baffle. Cant remember what its really called..
DH will love that, another honey do chore. :-)

Gautier, MS

Thanks Debra. Lucky you, Jackie to get you DH to help. Mine has pulled out plants that he thought shouldn't be where they were once or twice.

Another gloomy day, wanting to rain some more. I only have repeats, sorry.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Well, I finally had a few come up in the seedling trays. I planted 8 different colors this morning, between 2 and 8 plants each. Now we will hope nothing eats them before they grow up. I have a feeling I will be putting in more tomarrow. Even the dwarfs had a little green showing, I need to decide if they should go in hanging pots or in the beds in the middle of the circular MG garden. So many of the ones I see in your pictures are what I am seeding, it's sooo exciting.

Helena, We'll see if he actually does it. Talking about it and doing it are 2 diff things. ;-)
Dont apologoize for your blooms, they are beautiful today. Your pandy is lovely, great shot. Love'the
Lav Mist looking glory, bloom #2, and that satiny bloom in your 1st pic.

This is apparantly not my purple hige from last summer,. looks more like a violet, a cross maybe?

Thumbnail by patootie

Dee, keep us posted on your vines.

How do the morning glories do in a hanging basket? Bet that would be pretty?

A pic of my purple Hige last summer. The bloom I posted above is definitely not the same color.
It opened yesterday

Thumbnail by patootie

Linda, I'm sure it would be very pretty. I don't have any place to hang mine so I usually just stick to pots.
I think Debra might grow a few in hanging baskets.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I bought some of double shepard hooks at Kmart for under $20.00 each. They are really nice and will easily hold two large hanging baskets. I have some thunbergia vines hanging on them now but will switch them out when my MG's take off. Shepard hooks are cool because you can easily move them for more of less sun. Unfortunately they are usually on the expensive side.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, thanks and I really like your higes. Each has very pretty color.

Linda, one of my first mg's was growing in hanging basket and it turned out very nice.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

I have a morning glory tree about to bloom! I got a bunch of angel trumpet cuttings last summer, nd when I put them all in big pots this spring, this one looked similar, but different. Well, now that it has blooms, I knew it was not an angel trumpet, so I asked around, and was told it is a morning glory tree.
First picture of the fence line with all the angel trumpets, the tall one is the morning glory tree.
2nd picture is a close up of the buds.
I am anxiously waiting for this to bloom!

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55

Linda, you will love the blooms on the MG tree.
Here was mine in Oct of 08 in the g house.

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Nice plants and blooms ladies.

I still have not repotted all my mg's, they have started to bloom in this little pots.
3rd bloom is a yellow gold dahlia.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Gorgeous blooms Helena. I have 20 that are needing out of the 8 oz foam cups

I have a Blue Marble not up. Hope I can get sds this yr. Last yr it did not mke a single sd pod.

Thumbnail by patootie
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Oooh, thanks for posting the morning glory tree flower, I have three at 5" tall. They were the first plants in the MG garden. My seeds, although old, are sprouting well. I will be planting and putting up some deer netting tomarrow. I have way too many chocolate silk sprouting, I may have to put them on the wire fence down by the greenhouse and take a chance the deer will get them. I have two mommas and three baby deer that come through nightly. I have strung "irish spring" bars in my flower garden and it keeps them from eating my hollyhocks. Maybe I'll use some of that near the MG's, it's certainly a cheap method of repelling deer, and not near as nasty smelling as the commercial stuff.

You're welcome Dee. Thanks for the tip re the Irish Spring soap.

This bug was giving the Bumble Bees a run for their money this morning. First time I've ever seen
anything like it.

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Pretty bloom Jackie, it should make you seeds if not I have some left. That bug looks interesting but mean.

I'm surprised my pumpkin bloom came out since it's so small to take picture of. Last picture of my dahlia.

Great blooms Helena. I love your pumpkin bloom. The 2nd bloom is a beauty too.
I have an Apricot Candy germinated. Hope I get lots of sds from it so I can share.

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. I like your pretty Apricot Candy blooms. I couldn't get mine to grow much last year.

Helena, thanks that bloom was in the green house in 08. I do have one sprouted and I hope it does well. I would
like to be able to harvest a bunch of sds.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I think that's a harlequin bug- a bad bug

Kittriana, is that the same as a Flower Longhorn Beetle?. Flapdoodle id'd it as such. I will google it
soon so I can read up on it. Thanks for the reply.

Gautier, MS

Gloomy day, a bit of rain last night and maybe some more on the way.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

My bad, not harlequin

Lovely blooms Helena. I really like your Purple Tie Dye type bloom in the center.
I have some vines with larger buds, can't hardly wait

No problem Kittriana

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie, your pandy is putting on a nice show!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Wow, are those white blooms as big as they look?
Those ornery deer ate the tops off my "moulin rouge" sunflowers last night. They also ate all the flowers off the gladiolus.
The baby deer twins are cute though, I wonder if they would be as cute stuffed for Christmas decorations, LOL.
I guess I need to go buy more wire fencing.

Thanks Helena.
Dee, I cut part of a dog house out of the pic. Every time I do that,(alter the pic)it makes the
resulting pic bigger than life. The pandy blooms are a little over 3 inches across, a nice size. :-)

Gautier, MS

A new one Duskie x Fuji mix though the bloom got damaged.
Nice when there's a volunteer.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Do you have Irish spring bars in your garden? I have heard that if you cut sliver and hang them, it is supposed to repel the deer? We don't have deer here, so I don't know if it works.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.